PDA

View Full Version : I have a carb addiction!! What should I do? (Long post)

John04Civic
02-20-2006, 05:57 PM
I have gotten to the point where I love to eat so much now, if I don't eat for a decnet period of time, I get headaches and feel very tired.

What should I do to substitute my day?

Let me give you an example..

Tomorrow here is my meals..

Morning: 2 packets of strawberry oatmeal + 2 Peanut butter slices of bread
Lunch: Chinese (Sweet and Sour Chicken + Rice)

Workout
Post workout: MRP
Dinner: Turkey Sandwiches + some side (family is out of town so have to improvise)
After Dinner meal: Probably Bryer's Yogurt

This doesn't include little small crap I eat inbetween either..

I was wondering if it'd be a crime to just make a MRP in the morning? The carb count is lower and has a solid amount of protein.. For Lunch.. I am on a college campus and during lunchtime it is slaaaaaaaaammmmed. Should I sub in a small salad (no dressings of course)?

I am now at 19% bodyfat and 195 lbs. I have got to drop it back to at least 14% before I begin a bulk again.. So the goal here is about 13% - 14%

I have a friend who is on Atkins and claims I shouldn't go 20 carbs a day like he is but just a lot lower.. Question is.. How much lower?

Please help! And very sorry for the long post!

John

Built
02-20-2006, 06:22 PM
www.fitday.com (http://www.fitday.com)

What does your day look like, macro-wise?

John04Civic
02-20-2006, 07:24 PM
www.fitday.com (http://www.fitday.com)

What does your day look like, macro-wise?
Forgive me, I don't understand what you mean macro-wise.

Do you mean like macro-nutrients?

I don't even know.

ddegroff
02-20-2006, 07:34 PM
yes carbs fat protein are the macro's

John04Civic
02-20-2006, 07:38 PM
I just purchased the FitDay software for $20, and I definitely see its usefulness..

I have also just got back from the store..

Bought a lot of Tuna, Chicken (yes a LOT), and going to get some salad bits and pieces too tomorrow.. I have got to turn this around..

I am doing diet planning goals right now along with some other settings..

Main question is this, I am at the part where I give %ages out for each macronutrient and how much I can consume per day..

My current % is this:

20% of calories from Fat (420 cals) / 47 grams
10% of cals from Sat. Fat (210 cals) / 23 grams
30% of cals from Carbs (630 cals) / 158 grams
40% of cals from Protein (841 cals) / 210 grams

I feel like I have done this wrong, because in chicken breast / tuna the saturated fat intake will be near impossible possibly.

Built
02-20-2006, 08:30 PM
The percentages don't mean anything - the only things that matter are the grams of p, c, and f and the total calories.

You got in
47g fat (420 cals)
158g carb (630 cals)
210g protein (841 cals)
1891 cals in total

At 158 lbs LBM, you should be getting in at least 158g protein and at least 80g of fat. At 47g, your fats are far too low. Your calories also look very low - I cut on 1900 or so cals and I'm a chick with about 110 lbs of LBM.

Don't worry about the saturated fats - they're good for you if they're natural.

Built
02-20-2006, 08:30 PM
The percentages don't mean anything - the only things that matter are the grams of p, c, and f and the total calories.

You got in
47g fat (420 cals)
158g carb (630 cals)
210g protein (841 cals)
1891 cals in total

At 158 lbs LBM, you should be getting in at least 158g protein and at least 80g of fat. At 47g, your fats are far too low. Your calories also look very low - I cut on 1900 or so cals and I'm a chick with about 110 lbs of LBM.

Don't worry about the saturated fats - they're good for you if they're natural.

Titanium_Jim
02-21-2006, 07:31 AM
Your protein looks okay, but like built said, your caloric intake overall should be higher as well as your fats. You can get a good deal of good fat from natural peanut butter and flaxseed/grapeseed/olive oil. The oil shouldn't be a problem, since you can add it in your salads, and the peanut butter on good grain (or oat nut) breads should be part of what replaces the "small crap" you eat between meals. Definitely take advice from somebody on the Atkin's diet........with a grain of salt.

Built
02-21-2006, 09:26 AM
Atkins was helpful to me when I was first starting out and wasn't an athlete - but you don't STAY at 20g of carb a day, and you really need to drop the 5 bucks and buy the book if you're going to go that route. And really, Atkins is for sedentary people trying to get from "obese" to "no longer overweight". It WON'T get you ripped. For that, you need strategy.

Utopianhopes
02-21-2006, 09:39 AM
I wonder about atkin type diets making you carb phobe. I was on a TKD type diet with less then 100g of carb a day and every thought of increasing my carbs had me worry about water weight gains. From my understanding, low carb diet cause thyroid decline resulting metabolism to slow down with time.

Built
02-21-2006, 09:41 AM
All diets do this to metabolism, though.

I had a lot of trouble re-integrating carbs into my diet after Atkins. I think there's just not enough information in the mainstream about this. BB have done this sort of thing for decades.

John04Civic
02-21-2006, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the great words and advice Built.. Tonight I will post #s of my meals , what I ate, and how much each category fit in, then I will modify my FitDay to get a better idea of what to intake!

John

John04Civic
02-21-2006, 07:42 PM
Here is the link to my meals today.. and the #s

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?p=1308685#post1308685