PDA

View Full Version : Recipe for Quaker Oatmeal...

Optimum08
02-20-2006, 06:27 PM
i just bought some quaker oats from costco...but i managed to throw away the box without getting down the preparation instructions (microwave style) does anyone have these or other good ways of preparing oats? i know i need to add spices etc. i just need to be able to make it into oatmeal...

Unreal
02-21-2006, 05:57 PM
I buy the huge box at costco. Last about a month. Not bad for $6.50 or whatever it cost. Basically add water, microwave for 3-3.5 minutes. After the micro I usually stir in a scoop of chocolate protein, and a table spoon of splenda. Sometimes I add cinnamon before cooking. Its my daily preworkout meal.

Now if you can afford the cals, then add whatever taste good. PB, Olive oil, nuts, fruit, etc.

eatit
02-22-2006, 09:49 PM
you realised you just asked the recipe for cereal right?;)

teenathlete3030
02-28-2006, 08:49 PM
I tried a shake with it and I thought it was great. Some thought it was gross though. I put about a cup of skim milk and a scoop of ON Whey in a blender. Blend. Then put 2 ice cubes in, along with peanut butter, and 1/2 cup of quaker oats. Blend again. A little gritty, but I liked the texture and flavor.

SirPhil
04-26-2006, 06:52 PM
What should the quantity of oats and milk/water be? In cups if possible. I'm also planning on adding a scoop of chocolate protein powder to it. What amounts do you bulkers use?

SirPhil
04-28-2006, 01:57 PM
What should the quantity of oats and milk/water be? In cups if possible. I'm also planning on adding a scoop of chocolate protein powder to it. What amounts do you bulkers use?

Cut150
04-28-2006, 05:42 PM
I'm not a bulker, but I would say that you can add as much as you want. 1 cup, 2 cups. In any smoothie that I make, I add 3/4 cups.

SirPhil
04-28-2006, 08:32 PM
I'm not a bulker, but I would say that you can add as much as you want. 1 cup, 2 cups. In any smoothie that I make, I add 3/4 cups.
thank you.

WORLD
04-28-2006, 09:42 PM
ok i got you.... this is what i always do. Just bring half a cup or so of water to a boil, in a pot(stay away from microwaves), then toss in a cup of oats.Turn down the heat and let them cook for like 10 mins. If you need more water then add some. Then, if your diet allows, cut up all types of fresh fruit and put it in the boal... Pour in the oatmeal when it's done, mix it up and enjoy. Carbs carbs carbs.

WORLD
04-28-2006, 09:43 PM
Or u can just throw them in one of your shakes.. I also do that

gunman
05-01-2006, 10:22 AM
can you throw the oats in your protein shakes "as is" uncooked? will it still have the same benefits? i've been doing that for a few days now. i just take it like a shot.

WORLD
05-02-2006, 05:04 PM
can you throw the oats in your protein shakes "as is" uncooked? will it still have the same benefits? i've been doing that for a few days now. i just take it like a shot.

Sure why wouldnt it have the same nutritional benefits... You take it as a shot? and chew them all? eww saw dust. But yah, I throw them in my breakfast shake, maybe a cup, and blend it a little longer than usual. Much easier and quicker than cooking them.

gunman
05-03-2006, 06:07 AM
yeah i guess you're right. dumb question. haha. i've been lifting for a long time now and always strayed away from the whole mega protein and diet stuff. i guess i'm just learning still.

Alex.V
05-06-2006, 12:56 PM
Well... the box usually says add two cups of water or milk to one cup of oats to make two servings. Plus, it says you can add sugar, cinnamon, fruit, or whatever else you want.

I mean, but that's just the box. It could be wrong.

(I add peanut butter pre-cooking, then jelly post. PB&J oatmeal, good stuff)

eps
05-06-2006, 01:19 PM
Cinnamon + a touch of honey is tasty for oatmeal

Alex.V
05-06-2006, 02:34 PM
Wait wait wait. The directions are different for the "instant" oats and the "old fashioned" oats. Make sure you take this into account when pushing either the "1" or "3" button on your microwave.

Good luck.

TwiloMike
06-05-2006, 08:59 AM
I take 1 cut of oats to 1.75 cups of water, nuke it for 4.5 mins and when it's done I throw in a sliced banana and stir like a madman until the banana pieces are down to half their size. Makes for wonderfull naturally flavored oats. I tried mixing in Nitrean before but can't get past the powdery texture.

ryan-
06-11-2006, 03:57 PM
I think some of you are going about adding oats to your shakes wrong. Put them in the blender first, dry, and blend to a powder, THEN add your other ingredients and blend it.

You won't even notice they're there.

Jabberwocky
06-11-2006, 07:06 PM
Ditto with Belial on the pb and oats. ( I don't do the jelly thing sadly)