PDA

View Full Version : Keep Cutting or Start Bulking?

SilverYello
02-22-2006, 11:21 AM
If anyone has read my past posts Ive been cutting since around November of last year. I was 198lbs and 23%bf approx. Now I am approx 14%bf and 181lbs. Ive never in my life been 'cut' (ie minimal bf). I would rather be lean than huge. So does anyone think I should continue to cut till I get to that ideal state? Or start a bulk now, add some muscle, and then cut? Eventually I want to bulk up a decent amount. Ultimate question... will I get a better look by bulking now and cutting later, or continue cutting then bulking? My aim for this look is mid June.
Thanks
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f302/silveryello/100_11531.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f302/silveryello/100_11551.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f302/silveryello/100_11561.jpg

BTW this is what I looked like in August 05. But by Thanksgiving 05 I had put on 15lbs of fat from cheeseburgers and chilli fries. So now Im 6 lbs lighter in my current pics, than this pic.
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f302/silveryello/Shower1.jpg

skaterdude
02-22-2006, 11:38 AM
Keep Cutting or Start Bulking?

It looks like you need to start lifting weights.

Mik
02-22-2006, 11:41 AM
Very helpful post skater!

Silver - I would focus on a relatively clean bulk. Pack in lots of good food and lift heavy and monitor your progress. You look relatively lean now so a bulk will do ya some good. Good luck man!

SilverYello
02-22-2006, 11:44 AM
It looks like you need to start lifting weights.

haha. I lift 7 days a week for an hour or more every day for the last 3 months. But when I consume 1500-1900cals a day I just keep shrinking.

Thanks Mik

Mik
02-22-2006, 11:47 AM
haha. I lift 7 days a week for an hour or more every day for the last 3 months. But when I consume 1500-1900cals a day I just keep shrinking.

Thanks Mik

You may want to cut back on your lifting to 3-4 days per week. Every day is too often. You need to rest to grow. I'd bump your cals up by at least 500, see if you're gaining and adjust as needed.

getfit
02-22-2006, 12:11 PM
Very helpful post skater!

Silver - I would focus on a relatively clean bulk. Pack in lots of good food and lift heavy and monitor your progress. You look relatively lean now so a bulk will do ya some good. Good luck man!
exactly,another vote for clean bulk

Canadian Crippler
02-22-2006, 12:17 PM
You have very little muscle, so you won't have that definition you want no matter how low you get. Get on a proper routine and clean bulk as suggested.

SilverYello
02-22-2006, 12:55 PM
Im familar with cut and bulk. But what is a 'clean' bulk? Im eating mostly chicken breast, pork, steak, fruit and veg, and yogurt now. Along with pb. Is this clean?

Mik
02-22-2006, 01:01 PM
Im familar with cut and bulk. But what is a 'clean' bulk? Im eating mostly chicken breast, pork, steak, fruit and veg, and yogurt now. Along with pb. Is this clean?

Yep, it's clean. Some people use the fact that tey are bulking to eat anything and everything whether it's good calories or not ie fast food etc..... It's not a problem to cheat once in a while but the above foods you listed are "clean".

SilverYello
02-22-2006, 01:08 PM
Ah good. This solves my new problem. Ive been taking in anywhere from 1600-1900cals the last two months. This past week no matter what I eat an hour later I am starving. Its almost like my metabolism kicked into high gear somehow, can never stay full. So maybe Ill up to 2500 a day at first and see how that holds.

HoTShoT_KiD
02-22-2006, 01:33 PM
You may want to cut back on your lifting to 3-4 days per week. Every day is too often. You need to rest to grow. I'd bump your cals up by at least 500, see if you're gaining and adjust as needed.

I agree with this ^^.

Meat_Head
02-22-2006, 02:33 PM
You can't cut bone! Definately bump up the cals. Why are you working out 7 days a week? What is your routine?

SilverYello
02-22-2006, 02:45 PM
I still feel fat though.
MON:
arnies 3x8
bench(alt flat/inclined) 4x8
rows 3x8
chin ups 4x6
flys 3x8
curls 5x5
sometimes triceps

TUES:
attempt a couple pull ups 3x1
abs 3x30 (weighted cybex machine)
squats 4x8
calf raise 3x8
(10 mins cardio-sometimes)

WEDS:
arnies 3x8
rows 3x8
chin ups 4x6
flys 3x8
curls 5x5
sometimes triceps

THRS:
attempt a couple pull ups 3x1
abs 3x30 (weighted cybex machine)
squats 4x8
calf raise 3x8
(10 mins cardio-sometimes)

FRI:
arnies 3x8
rows 3x8
chin ups 4x6
flys 3x8
curls 5x5
sometimes triceps

This past weekend was the first time I really took a day or two off. I have just really been trying to cut a lot. Lots of fat. Wouldnt mind cutting a few more pounds of fat and then building muscle on a stick frame.... but maybe not possible? Maybe bulk till mid april then cut till june?

Meat_Head
02-22-2006, 02:50 PM
There's no point in cutting off fat at your level unless you want to look scrawny. You'd be better off adding some quality mass now and cutting the fat later.

Cut the flies, curls, tricep work, and abs out of your routine, those are worthless. On Tuesday and Thursday, cut out the pullups and add deadlifts and/or other leg exercises.

SilverYello
02-22-2006, 02:52 PM
So nothing for biceps or triceps as in concentration??? The flies have actually helped my pecs look a little bigger and some (if a little) definition.

And no abs at all?

Meat_Head
02-22-2006, 02:55 PM
So nothing for biceps or triceps as in concentration??? The flies have actually helped my pecs look a little bigger and some (if a little) definition.

And no abs at all?

Rows, pullups, bench presses, and overhead presses will make your arms bigger than curls and tricep extensions. Squats, deadlifts, rows, and overhead presses will do more for your abs than crunches or situps. And if your pecs have been getting bigger, its cause of the bench pressing. If you want another chest exercise to replace the flies, do dips or dumbell presses.

SilverYello
02-22-2006, 03:21 PM
Rowing machine or straight rows? The rows I do are on the cybex machine where the body is stationary and only arms and back are being used

PoutineEh
02-22-2006, 09:41 PM
Rows, pullups, bench presses, and overhead presses will make your arms bigger than curls and tricep extensions. Squats, deadlifts, rows, and overhead presses will do more for your abs than crunches or situps. And if your pecs have been getting bigger, its cause of the bench pressing. If you want another chest exercise to replace the flies, do dips or dumbell presses.
:withstupi
i think almost everyone here will say ditch the machines and stick with the big compound movements.
make sure you get your diet in order.
also shoot for gaining ~1 lb or so a week. be consistent with when you weigh yourself (when you wakeup before you eat is usually best).

also, try not to look into the mirror at your body everyday (or every few days) and expect to see much change. as long as you keep gaining weight and how much your lifting is going up, just assume your growing. maybe take a good look at body once every two weeks or so (not saying dont look in the mirror to do your hair or anything). it will be easier to see changes that way versus looking at yourself every day. that was probably the hardest thing for me when i did my first bulk not too long ago; kept expecting dramatic changes within a few short weeks. i would look in the mirror most days and be dissapointed and thought i shouldve come along much further than what i did.

its a good thing you took pictures of yourself throughout your weightlifting/dieting. its nice to be able to do comparison shots and see that you have progressed. same thing goes with comparing previous weights you lifted to now's...

keep at it and good luck.

Fenrir
02-23-2006, 01:58 AM
You can't cut bone!

lol!:smoke:

yeah your gonna have to mix things up mate because in all honesty it definitely isn't working for u!

Mik
02-23-2006, 07:26 AM
Cut the flies, curls, tricep work, and abs out of your routine, those are worthless. On Tuesday and Thursday, cut out the pullups and add deadlifts and/or other leg exercises.

Personally I'll do a few sets of curls per week plus I do alot of tricep work (for bench assistance) but I agree with Meat Head. Focus on the compund movements. That's where most of your gains should come. Keep it simple, short and intense.

This is what I'd focus on;

chest - bench, dips
back - deads, pullups/chins, bb rows
shoulders - millies (some don't do direct shoulder work)
legs - squats, SLDLs/Good mornings, lunges

If you want to throw in some arm work curls, close grip bench and skulls is all you need.

TwiloMike
02-23-2006, 08:32 AM
Bud, if you cut what you have you will be severely disappointed with what you reveal (currently you don't have much). Do a clean bulk (clean bulk means avoid gratuitous binging and stick with wholesome foods for your bulk calorie requirements), and start lifting heavy. Read the forums for a good routine: do a full body split twice a week if you can, and try to not workout ore than 4-5 days a week. Like everyone else said, compound movements are your friends.

Check out Built's writeup "Baby Got Back" on the main page and follow that split. http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=255

SilverYello
02-23-2006, 11:52 PM
Thanks all. Im eatting around 2100cals a day. I am nervous. I have never wanted to gain weight in my life!!! Already the scale has gone from 181-183.6! I hope its not fat! Im just really nervous about gaining the 18lbs of fat back that I just worked so hard to drop. Hopefully extra lean mass will make me look more cut with the fat on me?

eps
02-24-2006, 12:23 AM
I wish I would be as lean as you so could I start packing muscle again. Lift heavy, slow bulk!

DumbDude
02-24-2006, 08:18 AM
Clean, slow, steady, boring, BULK!

SilverYello
02-24-2006, 12:37 PM
Ok, sounds good. Ive read Builts article and talked to her through PMs.

I know I should increase cals by 10-20% each week. But I dont know what cals I should start at? I was averaging 1700cals last week. So now Im eatting about 2100cals this week. Does that sound about right?

Then around 2500 next week?

Gabrielle
02-24-2006, 01:24 PM
First of all how tall are you? 181 is not that skinny unless you are over 6ft 3. Also, do what will make you feel more comfortable. Do you want to be under 10%? Clean bulking and redoing your training program seems like the best option for gaining good muscle and possibly getting leaner.

SilverYello
02-24-2006, 04:44 PM
181lbs and right around 6'-6'1''. I kind of wanted to be under 10% and then bulk. But I suppose a clean bulk and getting more lean may be better? Or maybe bulk 2 months and then cut again? Idk.

TwiloMike
02-24-2006, 08:26 PM
You're being a spaz. Bulk until you can't fit into your clothes, then cut. It's very simple.

Natty_Lftr
02-25-2006, 11:59 AM
I really would quit worrying about your 18lb loss.
Judging by the pics you could cut down to 140lbs. Trust me, you wouldn't be too happy with those results. Right now you're in a great spot to bulk bulk bulk. If you put on 20-30lbs of muscle, even staying at your current fat levels, you'll be very happy, and look alot leaner than you do now.:thumbup:

Luke Lippincott
03-02-2006, 10:40 AM
you need to be bulk before you can cut cuse you dont got much bulk to you, i would try to get your max's up then you will start seeing more bulk as your max build's up.