PDA

View Full Version : 1st time ( Diet and Nutrition)?

Galosat
02-22-2006, 12:40 PM
Hi guys,

First let me say I'm very happy that I found this forum!
I've been reading as much as possible and I wanted to ask for some advice.

I am 5ft 6 tall and weight 285. Yep, I am definetely overweight, plus out of shape.

So I finally decided to startworking out and I've been doing about 40 minutes of cardio and then about 30 minutes of weight lifting.

I started about a week ago and have lost around 10lbs.

Basically I've been eating the following:

6am Coffee with no sugar and 2 slices of cheese.
9am 1 Cup of cereal Raisin Brand with one cup of skin milk.
12pm Salad with turkey and roast beef.
4 pm 2 slices of cheese.
7pm 1 Serving of myplex lite.
9pm A few peanuts.

I feel good but I would definately appreciate some feedback, plus should I take any thermogenics to boost the weight loss?

Please let me know.

Thank you!

Galosat.

MJS
02-22-2006, 12:53 PM
You aren't eating nearly enough. Not even close. You have to be so hungry. Go to www.fiday.com, create an account, and input all of your foods. Copy the nutrition facts (calories, grams, and % of daily intake) for protein, carbs, fats here. It will help us to critique further.

As far as cardio goes, 40 minutes is entirely too much. Read more about high intensity interval training, and its benefits here (www.hiit.com).

You also have to tell us your goals. And, 30 minutes of lifting a day is feasible but it sounds a bit low. What is your routine/split?

I am glad that you joined up but you definitely have a lot more reading to do.

seK
02-22-2006, 02:17 PM
Damn if thatís all I ate during the day I would probably end up eating my mattress during my sleep.

ddegroff
02-22-2006, 02:22 PM
Damn if thatís all I ate during the day I would probably end up eating my mattress during my sleep.

haha, thats good...

anyway, way too low cals. like he said track your cals on fitday (you can click on the link in my sig to see how i do it). Also you need to be doing more weights than cardio (40mins weights, 20mins cardio. HIIT is good but might be tough for at this point. Also the key to weight loss is your diet.

Built
02-22-2006, 02:26 PM
No cardio before you lift - do it after, or on a separate day.

Read how I structure a cutting diet in the link in my sig if you're interested.

Galosat
02-22-2006, 02:54 PM
Wow guys, a lot of good info.
I'll read more and try to balance my diet a little better.

I don't know how I made the mistake of doing more cardio than weight lifting.
I remember in the past reading that weight lifting not only makes my metabolism go up for much longer than cardio plus as I gain muscle it also makes my body consume more calories. I guess sometimes we just forget.

Thanks for letting me know.
'll read what you guys suggested and if you remember anything else that you think will be helpfull please let me know.

Thank you!

Galosat.

brickt.
02-22-2006, 04:03 PM

At the height of my neurosis that's basically all I ate, with no appetite issues.

Galosat
02-22-2006, 07:22 PM
Ok guys took the advice and went and opened an acount at Fitday.
Please check out my diet and let me know what you suggest improving.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=Galosat

Now here are my goals:

1.Loose bodyfat.
I was at 285lbs about a 10 days ago and now I am at 270lbs.

My goal is to be between 190 and 200lbs.
Remember I'm only 5ft6" tall.

2. Want to strengthen my muscles while get a little bigger
My vision is to look and feel toned and strong.

3.Improve my overall health as far as Cardiovascular system and physical endurance.

Current exercise:
Here is my usual day on the gym:
10 minutes on the stepper.
30 minutes on the Elipticals.
Weightlifting for about 20 minutes.
Usually I try to do 4 set of 10 or 12 reps.
One day I concentrate on chest, another day on legs and finally on arms and abs.

I'm definately taking the advice you guys gave about weightlifting more than doing cardio and I will switch to HIIT instead of doing cardio for longer periods.

Please let me know any suggestion on my diet, exercising and if a thermogenics supplement would help.

Thank you!

Galosat.

eatit
02-22-2006, 09:33 PM

As exciting as 15 lbs in ten days is most of it is water especially considering how low your carbs are. Don't expect this type of weight loss to continue. At 270 and 5'6" you've got a long road ahead.

3.Improve my overall health as far as Cardiovascular system and physical endurance.

the good news: is that at 5'6" and 270 lbs chances are you are a monster underneath that chub. So, you shouldn't train to get bigger at this point you should train to maintain your muscle while shedding fat. Do this by upping your protein. Looking at your fitday 81 grams of protein is way way way way to low. 1 gram per pound of Lean Body Mass. But considering you probably don't know your body fat percentage i'd just set it around 200 and you should be set. Also, what's with all the nuts? you must be pretty nuts for nuts... look at how many calories they add to your diet. Drop them like a bad habit and replace some of those cals with protein.

One day I concentrate on chest, another day on legs and finally on arms and abs.

uhm, did you forget you have a back? For your routine see WBB 1 found here:
http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=25

Follow it for at least a month before you even begin to think about changing it.

Because it sounds like you don't really have any experience, find yourself someone in the gym that looks like they know what they're doing (big dude, muscles... you'll spot him) and get him to show you exercise technique. Very important so that you A) don't hurt yourself and B) actually get something accomplished.

uhhh, yeah.... that was a lot of advice. Best of luck to you.

ddegroff
02-22-2006, 11:06 PM
find yourself someone in the gym that looks like they know what they're doing (big dude, muscles... you'll spot him) and get him to show you exercise technique. Very important so that you A) don't hurt yourself and B) actually get something accomplished.

I see a lot of big dudes with big muscles that don't have a clue what they're doing. (hides behind couch from all the big guys here)

I looked at what you ate today. I would say lower your fats a bit so that you get more protein in. remember its .5g of fat per lb of LBM, not total pounds. I would shoot for 100g or less of fat, 1g of protein for per lb of LBM, i would shoot for 200g of protein, then fill the rest in with carbs. I would say up your cals to 2500 or so and see how the weight loss goes. I weigh 182 and i'm currently eating 2200 cals per day. good luck with w/ the weight loss!:thumbup:

Built
02-22-2006, 11:32 PM
Hmm... I have a somewhat different take.

I agree with using 200 lbs as an estimate of LBM - and that OP should shoot for at least 200g of protein a day, but I'd say at LEAST 100g of fat.

On a cut, many of us, particularly while quite overfat, feel more comfortable with carbs on the low side, and fats on the high side.

Get in your protein and fat minimums, and fill up the rest of your calorie-limit with whatever combination of protein, carb and fat makes you comfortable.

Target your starchy carbs to the meal before and the meal after you lift if you find carbs make you hungry. If not, then just eat them whenever, but always with protein.

Built
02-22-2006, 11:37 PM
Ok guys took the advice and went and opened an acount at Fitday.
Please check out my diet and let me know what you suggest improving.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=Galosat

Protein far too low, fat and carb are fine, cals are too low. Increase the protein and you're golden.

Now here are my goals:

1.Loose bodyfat.

Current exercise:
Here is my usual day on the gym:
10 minutes on the stepper.
30 minutes on the Elipticals.
Weightlifting for about 20 minutes.
Usually I try to do 4 set of 10 or 12 reps.

I'm definately taking the advice you guys gave about weightlifting more than doing cardio and I will switch to HIIT instead of doing cardio for longer periods.

Please let me know any suggestion on my diet, exercising and if a thermogenics supplement would help.

Thank you!

Galosat.

Okay. My exercise suggestions:

1. pick a different split. WBB1 is a good place to start.
2. never do your cardio before you lift. Do it after or on another day.
3. Do lower rep range, lower volume work with higher weight.

You really can't lose a substantial amount of fat by exercising it off.

Don't try.

A better strategy is to diet to lose WEIGHT, and train to convince your body to hang onto the more metabolically expensive muscle. This means lifting heavy things, not lighter things with lots of reps - that's just iron cardio, and will do nothing to convince your body that the muscle is earning its keep.

eatit
02-23-2006, 10:45 AM
I see a lot of big dudes with big muscles that don't have a clue what they're doing. (hides behind couch from all the big guys here)

unless they're "assisted" if they're big dudes with muscle they must be doing something at least half right no?

But yeah, i kinda take that back. Find the guy who looks like they know what they're doing (hint: not the guy who hasn't progressed in years).

If it's a decent gym the personal trainers shouldn't mind showing proper form if they have a spare moment. Just don't let them suck you into their pointless fad routines. (the ones where they have you balancing on a ball on one food, touching your nose with your right arm and doing curls with your left all while sing ol' macdonald... no really, i think these guys come up with this stuff so that can laugh at the people doing it)

seK
02-23-2006, 10:49 AM
Ask for credentials from any personal trainer you approach.

ddegroff
02-23-2006, 10:58 AM
if your gonna ask a trainer make sure hes not working with a client. If there a good trainer then they will be giving 100% of there time to their client.

Side note: I saw this skinny ass trainer working out at my gym the other day. He grabbed 15lb dumbells put them above his head like he was going to do shoulder press, but instead he started walking. 20yrds later he turned around and walked back, that was one set. He did this 4-5 times, thank god i was almost done with my workout, i was laughing too hard.

ryuuppercut
02-23-2006, 07:37 PM
--Goal Loose bodyfat.--

Try this
6am Coffee with 4 egg white omelette use pam spray

9am 1 Serving of myplex lite

12pm Salad with turkey and roast beef--one day turkey one roast beef
20oz.water

4 pm 1 1/4 cup of strawberries 8oz milk mix and make shake

7pm Dinner 8-10oz. Fish or chicken with 2cups vegetables

9pm some peanuts or a fruit or two
There are many good and (bad) diets- it must be do-able for you
check out this link they have many menus. You want to be between 1600
and 2000 calories a day to lose weight as you get lower you will need
to readjust. For now i think one of theses will work make it simple!!
http://www.xenical.com/sample_diets.asp

--Goal is to be between 190 and 200lbs.--

Workout-Keep moving Take rest but dont abuse
Monday Chest and Triceps (5 exercises 4 sets medium weight not to heavy)
Cardio 30min Abs

Tuesday Legs-Shoulders-Biceps (there are endless exercises for legs pick 5)
Cardio 20min

Wednesday Cardio 40mins-Abs-stretch

Thursday Repeat Monday

Friday Repeat Tuesday

This is to get started you need to follow a routine for 4-6 weeks so that you
can kick start you metabolism. After that you can get fancy.

Galosat
02-23-2006, 07:53 PM
Ok guys, lots of good feedback.
I'll continue to train hard and try to apply most of what was said here.
I Feel good but will modify my diet just a bit with foods higher in protein like the eggwhites etc.

Thanks again and any suggestions will be appreciated.

Galosat.

time2grown06
02-23-2006, 07:55 PM
you need to eat more fruits and veggies

Galosat
05-03-2006, 10:23 AM
Hi Guys, I wanted to ask what you guys think of how I am doing now that 3 months have gone by.

Here is my fitday link:

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...?Owner=Galosat

As you can see from all of the info on the above threads, I have tweaked my exercise a bit.

For example I now always do weight lifting before any cardio, and I also take days off to rest.

One thing I noticed is that I kind of stalled on my weight loss.
When I started I was at 285lbs, now I'm at 238lbs.
I'm eating about 6 meals a day about 3 hours apart from each and I am exercising about 3, 4 days a week.

Please let me know what you think.

Thank you!

Galosat.

Holto
05-03-2006, 11:01 AM
HIIT is great but not for a beginner, especially at 5' 6" and 270+, too hard on the joints. It takes some knowledge to do it right.

Steady state cardio is what you want to do.

Galosat
05-03-2006, 11:05 AM
HIIT is great but not for a beginner, especially at 5' 6" and 270+, too hard on the joints. It takes some knowledge to do it right.

Steady state cardio is what you want to do.

I feel better at 238lbs now, but maybe I need to try something different like HIIT cardio.

How long?

1 hour good?

Holto
05-03-2006, 11:25 AM
I feel better at 238lbs now, but maybe I need to try something different like HIIT cardio.

How are the knees?

How long?

I'd start off with 10 minutes.

Just remember cardio will not impact fat loss significantly. Me personally, it just makes me hungry. When I'm cutting I bascially just lift to maintain LBM and watch my calories like a hawk.

kad
05-03-2006, 11:29 AM
1 hour good?
No. HIIT sessions are short, very intense, and usually 15-20 minutes long.

edit: Holto beat me to it.

Built
05-03-2006, 11:41 AM
I do thirty-second sprint/walk intervals for HIIT, and the most I've managed has been 8 minutes of them. I follow them with about 8-12 minutes of SS cardio as a cooldown and to burn off FFAs mobilized by the sprints.

Save HIIT for when you're almost lean enough. It's very taxing.