PDA

View Full Version : Recipes ??

TylerDurden
01-13-2002, 08:32 AM
I'm looking for good quick recipes. I'm getting sick of the same 'Ol chicken and turkey lunches. Also, i don't like to cook for hours either. I would prefer recipes that are low in carbs and fat. Oh, is low fat cottage cheese a no no?

Big Show
01-13-2002, 08:41 AM
TylerD I can't help you out with the recipes but I can tell you that low fat cottage cheese is a very good thing to eat if you like the taste

flake
01-13-2002, 08:43 AM
I'm guessing he's like me and can't stand the damn stuff.

how can you people actually eat it and not vomit :confused:

Jane
01-13-2002, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by TylerDurden
Oh, is low fat cottage cheese a no no?

Absolutely. There is nothing worse you can put into your body than low fat cottage cheese. I mean really, its cheese. Its GOT to be bad for you. :nod::nod::nod:

Er...jk. I'm being completely sarcastic. IMO, low fat cottage cheese is one of those wonderfully balanced foods. Its got slow release proteins in it, which is great before bed, a lil carbs, and a nice bit of fat. It's a mini-meal in itself. If you can stand it plain, thats great, but I like to mix mine with tuna, scallions, and a tiny bit of celery and dijon mustard. If you need more carbs in this meal, spread the mixture on wholegrain bread. :)

flake
01-13-2002, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Jane
IMO, low fat cottage cheese is one of those wonderfully balanced foods. Its got slow release proteins in it, which is great before bed, a lil carbs, and a nice bit of fat. It's a mini-meal in itself. If you can stand it plain, thats great, but I like to mix mine with tuna, scallions, and a tiny bit of celery and dijon mustard. If you need more carbs in this meal, spread the mixture on wholegrain bread. :)

yeah but it mings.

:(

TylerDurden
01-13-2002, 10:19 AM
I love it with any pasta!! Try it with lawry's seasoned salt, which is awesome on tomatoes! :drooling: Is Lawry's seasoned salt bad for you? here are the nut. facts fat= 0 sodium= 380 mg carb=0 protein=0 serving size = 1/4 tsp, cal= 0

Tryska
01-13-2002, 10:28 AM
wait...you want stuff that's both low in fat and low in carbs?

why?

Wizard
01-13-2002, 10:31 AM
Instead of asking him why he wants it you should be giving him some good tasting low fat low carb low sodium high potassium low nitrates recipes.. And do it as fast as you can.. tuttut :confused: :D

TylerDurden
01-13-2002, 10:38 AM
to eat!

Tryska
01-13-2002, 10:47 AM
*lol* wiz....

erm...chicken? steak? fish.

actually one of my favorites that's easy to prepare is as follows:

1. stick a potato in the micro
2. saute some onions and tuna in olive oil and spices
3. mash up the nuked potato, add the tuna and onion, add a scoop of cottage cheese, nuke again, if it needs to be warmer, for liek 30 seconds. eat.

it's good stuff.

TylerDurden
01-13-2002, 10:54 AM
That sounds tasty! I give that one a 7 for originality. I'll try that but its high in carbs, maybe my post workout meal. Still wondering about that Lawrey's salt though?..

Tryska
01-13-2002, 11:01 AM
i actually use goya adobo as my seasoning salt..so i don't see any problem with lowrys.

btw.....either choose low-carb or low-fat fo your diet. if you do both, your begging for your body to catabolize muscle for energy.

TylerDurden
01-13-2002, 11:04 AM
Which would you recommend? [low fat or low carb]

Wizard
01-13-2002, 11:06 AM
low carb for sure...

Tryska
01-13-2002, 11:07 AM
word.

actually, i think a cyclical approach, after reading NHE is quite good, too.

low carb most of the time, with occassional carbups (which would be low fat)

Wizard
01-13-2002, 11:12 AM
word

TylerDurden
01-13-2002, 11:35 AM
how many grams a day is considered low carb?

WilliamX
01-13-2002, 11:42 AM
I love that SALAD my mother makes with cottege cheese.
You take
Red Peppers, Onions, Tomatoes chop them up and than mix them with Cottage Cheese and Olive Oil, add some Pepper and Salt and that's it.
I just love it!!

TylerDurden
01-13-2002, 11:47 AM
I hear alot of talk about olive oil, (personally i've never used it) What is the daily intake of olive oil equivalent? Also what is the deal with consuming fructose through eating fruits? I happen to eat alot of fruit b/c i was always told it was good for you, is this wrong?

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-13-2002, 01:28 PM
Tyler, try not to but a set figure on anything, becuase most things vary from person to person adn are dependant upon a lot of factors.

your daily olive oil intake is depandant upon your daily fat allocation and how many polyunsaturated fats you already have allocated eg you want to take in say 70g fat a day, 15-20 coming from saturated [unavoidable with the best protein sources] 20g polys [sources like flax, walnuts] and the remainder can be made up from monunsaturates [sources like olive oil are predominantly mono]. I say make the rest up with monos cause polys are your essential fat so you wanna ensure adequate intake of these - but not too much cause of their oxidative capacity, especially the oils. the whole food sources are not as easily oxidised due to other content eg Vitamin E content of walnuts.

how much fruit are you eating?

fructose on it's own isn't 'bad' (infact fruit has many benefits) but too much can create problems [not health related problems btw] from a BBers perspective. Basically, fructose is a form of carbohydrate that replenishes more liver glycgen than muscle glycogen, so if your liver is holding as much glycogen as it can, the remaining will be stored as bodyfat.

beercan
01-13-2002, 03:19 PM
I like to make chicken parm wraps.

I've mentioned this before, but it's a good one.

bread and cook some chicken however you prefer....stovetop or microwave some ragu....add some mozzarella....and roll it up in a whole wheat tortilla...

These things rock

TylerDurden
01-13-2002, 07:26 PM
that sounds good but tortillas have alot of carbs! i could use a rolling pin to flatten a protein bar, then use that for the wrap?..? anyway keep them coming need help.

The_Chicken_Daddy i eat a banana for breakfast with oatmeal and eggs. for lunch i eat a can of light pears or peaches (Delmonte). I eat aprox. 100 grams of carbs before workout with 50 grams of protein. Post workout (within ten min.) i eat 30 grams of carbs through raw oat meal and drink a liter of water. The rest of the day I dont touch any type of carbs. Does this seem reasonable? I have no problem with energy for the rest of the day, so I'm assuming that all is healthy and lean.

beercan
01-14-2002, 05:40 AM
LOL. I hardly doubt you're to the point where tortillas have too many carbs for you. I eat 500 a day or so, and am around 10 % bf. Just be smart with the kind of carbs you eat.

PS< that plan doesn't sound very reasonable. I'd reverse it, having the larger amount of carbs and protien post training...

Also, peaches aren't a very good choice for a lunch meal. Haha, go with the old reliable tuna on wheat.