PDA

View Full Version : Anyone done a Cleanse? De-toxify?

Roddy
02-23-2006, 12:30 PM
Well i have decided to try a system cleanse or to detoxify my body. After a year and a half straight of taking Creatine, Glutamine, Whey and off and on with the NO2 and various other supps, i dont think dumping all these chemicals into my body is such a good idea. I talked with a friends family friend who is a herbalist who kinda made me think twice about what i have been doing.

Now shy of going to see this herbalist, what kind of things can i look into using?

She pointed out that i should start consuming a large amount of Parsley, green or white tea, and also mention UDO's oil caplets.

What other things have you guys used?

Anthony
02-23-2006, 12:36 PM
What chemicals are you talking about?

Either way, detox is bull****. The body was designed to clean itself. If you had problems, you'd know it.

If you are still intent on doing this foolishness, drink 2L of prune juice and make sure you have lots of very soft toilet paper near by. :)

Roddy
02-23-2006, 12:46 PM
ya sorry man ^^ but i am having some stomach problems which never existed before as well as a few other health problems, which is why i ended up talking to the herbalist. I dont know how much of it is bull****, but i am willing to give it a shot at first. Some of the alternative treatments from the doctor dont entice me, and other family members and friends have had obvious results after seeing this same herbalist.

I just wanted to give it a go on my own, and see what i could find out, i know her consultations are expensive and i go to college and dont have a ton of cash. and the products are just as pricey.

Thanks for the heads up on the prune juice tho.

Anthony
02-23-2006, 12:48 PM
LOL, dude, seriously don't do the prune juice. It was a joke, I'm sorry I didn't clarify. You'll be on the can for days if you try that.

If you are having medical problems, see a doctor asap. In the meantime, stop taking the supplements and eat as clean as you can (fresh and non processed).

seK
02-23-2006, 12:59 PM
If you are getting the correct ammount of vitamins and minerals on a daily basis you should bre fine.

pruneman
02-23-2006, 01:03 PM
The body is awfully good at detoxifying itself. What exactly is this this process intended to clean out? I've never heard any science that suggests that these type of things are effective. However, there a plenty of ways a "system flush" could do more damage than good...dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, disruption of the intestinal flora, the list goes on. None of these things will make you feel very good.

I'm not trying to shoot you down by saying this. I just think that you should be cautious about using practices like this.

btw...What type of stomach problems have you been having?

eatit
02-23-2006, 01:50 PM
lots of water?

Davidelmo
02-23-2006, 02:22 PM
Maybe switch up your diet for a week or so, drinking tons of water. I wouldn't do anything drastic for the reasons that pruneman suggested. A load of laxatives or lots of "detox" chemicals is a bad idea.

I've thought about this myself too. I drink 2-3L of milk a day and I'm considering taking a week off and truly flushing my kidneys. I don't want stones or hypercalcaemia.

Spawn_XX
02-23-2006, 06:37 PM
go on a raw food diet (with clean cooked fish/meat) for as long as you can hold out, its the best way to clean your system. after seeing how well your body feels after clean foods like that, you may reconsider dumping 5000 calories of processed stuff into your body everyday.

human body is good at cleaning itself, but it needs help. just lots of water won't do much, you need to give it everything it needs, and in natural form (not like pills)

lifter4life
02-23-2006, 08:07 PM
Sounds interesting, I have no suggestions but I would like to hear what the herabilst says. Post back if you end up going.

brickt.
02-23-2006, 08:27 PM
Seriously, just go back to the forst reply, by Anthony.

Your body knows what it's doing, and if it wasn't doing it properly, you'd be ****ting blood or something equally undesirable.

Roddy
02-24-2006, 12:45 AM
^^ ya well its along those lines.

Built
02-24-2006, 01:11 AM
I always wonder who comes up with these "cleanse" things.

I mean, really. Drink lots of water and eat lots of kale. Done and done.

brickt.
02-24-2006, 01:42 AM
^^ ya well its along those lines.

If it's on the same degree of seriousness as ****ting blood, see a doctor, STAT.

pruneman
02-24-2006, 03:23 PM
I think the ones for your colon are good, you take a glass of water with some powerder ****, follow it with a vitamin C to activate and it pretty much just forces everything out of your intestines.. takes a few hours - about a day.

drink, sit, rinse, repeat.

I dunno how good any other type of detox is.

I still don't see what purpose this serves. Do you really think that there is something in your feces that is toxifying you? Somebody out there...one of you advocates of this colon cleansing deal...please explain to me why you would want to "force everything out of your intestines." I just don't see any benefit???

Bruise Brubaker
02-24-2006, 04:01 PM
The colon cleansing "laxatives" approach is real crap. There are a lot of "real" proven things that help with detoxification:

Sweating, drinking lots of water along with proper mineral intake.
One of the reasons heavy metals are problematic is because they substitute some minerals, cadmium taking the place of zinc is an example. Since they also compete for absorption, a proper mineral intake will greatly help. Sweating is something that is said to have very often helped miners.

Digestion wise, you might take probiotics (good bacterias) or prebiotics (stuff that feed good bacterias). Living probiotics are the best, such as sauerkraut, yogurt, kefir, etc.
First, these bacterias prevent the presence of the pathogens that produce toxins. They're also an important part in proper absorption of food (seen a study saying that axenic rats (germ-free rats) needed 30% more food to gain as much weight as normal rats). Last, they demethylate mercury, which is important to prevent its absorption. Antibiotics are proven they reduce mercury excretion.

Antioxidants are also an important part of detoxification, because of their role in the liver. Green tea is your ally. There are also interesting molecules in fruits and veggies such as sulforaphane, mainly found in broccoli, which is known to help the detoxification enzymes.

Avoiding stuff like dyes, some preservatives, trans fats and other crap in food will help.

If digestion is not right, taking enzymes will help and will help to avoid bad bacterias feasting on your food.
Adequate intake of fibers normalize intestinal functions.

Whey is a great source of cysteine, bound in a very available way, and is known to help raise glutathione levels, which is important in detoxification. Glutamine is also part of glutathione, although that use is less proven. Glutamine is also important for the small intestines lining.

I'm not sure if there are concern with creatine impurities. Whey is definitively not toxic, unless not properly digested.

Holto
02-24-2006, 04:58 PM
I have cleansed several times and allways felt better physically and mentally.

Our bodies are designed well to detoxify themselves. Our bodies are not designed to deal with the litany of man made toxins(Xenobiotics) that are put in our food and released into our environment.

Sensei
02-24-2006, 05:13 PM
Use Colon Blow: http://snltranscripts.jt.org/89/89ecolonblow.phtml
It's the best.

brickt.
02-24-2006, 05:23 PM

Our bodies are designed well to detoxify themselves. Our bodies are not designed to deal with the litany of man made toxins(Xenobiotics) that are put in our food and released into our environment.

You don't believe in the body's homeostasis ability to adapt to modern day food?

Not an attack, just discussion.

Holto
02-24-2006, 05:44 PM
You don't believe in the body's homeostasis ability to adapt to modern day food?

Not an attack, just discussion.

From what I read it takes the body 100,000 years to make a significant adaptation. (Fat Wars, etc)

Most Xenobiotics are less than 50 yrs old.

jkirkpatrick
02-24-2006, 05:55 PM
^ I disagree. The human body is remarkable at adaptation. It can do a marathon with one year's training, it can perform drastic body recomposition (this site is evidence in intself), it can survive on barely nothing to eat (re: homeless people), etc, etc.

My body doesn't need 100,000 years to adapt, otherwise I'd be dead already.

Holto
02-24-2006, 06:32 PM
^ I disagree. The human body is remarkable at adaptation. It can do a marathon with one year's training, it can perform drastic body recomposition (this site is evidence in intself), it can survive on barely nothing to eat (re: homeless people), etc, etc.

My body doesn't need 100,000 years to adapt, otherwise I'd be dead already.

Nothing you referred to has anything to do with human adaptation as a species.

Human adaptation results in changing DNA. You can't change your DNA.

On Edit:

An individual could run 15 miles a day and their offspring would not be born with any adaptive advantages.

A species that runs 15 miles a day for 100,000 yrs will eventually produce offspring with adaptive advantages.

pruneman
02-24-2006, 06:38 PM
Use Colon Blow: http://snltranscripts.jt.org/89/89ecolonblow.phtml
It's the best.

LMAO.

pruneman
02-24-2006, 06:55 PM

My argument here is this: If you ingest a toxin of (almost) any type, it will not just sit in your bowels. Thus, flushing out your bowels is not going to remove the toxins that are in your body (because the toxins are not in your bowels). Chemicals that enter the intestines are RAPIDLY absorbed into the blood, pass through the liver, and those that aren't removed by the first pass through the liver are distributed throughout the body. The liver has a huge capacity to remove toxins--most of which leave the body in the urine or feces as INACTIVE compounds. If somehow you ended up with a large amount of a toxin in your intestines (ie drug overdose/poisoning), the degree of "flushing" you would have to do to just decrease its absorption is FAR more than what you are getting from a "colon cleansing" product.

That said...I'll agree that there's nothing like a great **** but that has nothing to do with my state of intoxication.

Holto
02-24-2006, 07:48 PM
I allways use a product like the following:

http://www.renewlife.com/products/detail/cleansesmart.html

It has a colon cleanse and a system cleanse.

Holto
02-24-2006, 07:51 PM
My argument here is this: If you ingest a toxin of (almost) any type, it will not just sit in your bowels. Thus, flushing out your bowels is not going to remove the toxins that are in your body (because the toxins are not in your bowels). Chemicals that enter the intestines are RAPIDLY absorbed into the blood, pass through the liver, and those that aren't removed by the first pass through the liver are distributed throughout the body. The liver has a huge capacity to remove toxins--most of which leave the body in the urine or feces as INACTIVE compounds. If somehow you ended up with a large amount of a toxin in your intestines (ie drug overdose/poisoning), the degree of "flushing" you would have to do to just decrease its absorption is FAR more than what you are getting from a "colon cleansing" product.

That said...I'll agree that there's nothing like a great **** but that has nothing to do with my state of intoxication.

You're referring to a colon cleanse.

I guess I should have been more clear because as you are indicating, a colon cleanse is not something that will have an immediate effect on stored toxins.

I don't consider a colon blow type product to be a cleanse.

eatit
02-24-2006, 08:08 PM

whether or not that is a placebo effect you'll never know. If it makes you feel great then i guess stick with it because it makes you feel great and who doesn't like feeling great? But i've always been dubious as to practices such as these as there hasn't been any real scientific backing to the value of "cleansing" processes such as these (at least not that i am aware, but a whole bunch of things fall under that category).

on the issue of colon cleansing: isn't it thought that cleansing the colong is bad due to it stripping you of all those lovely bacteria that help so much with the digestion of food? or is that just another wife's tale type thing?

brickt.
02-24-2006, 08:13 PM
I agree that genetic/dna changes will take a looooong time to occur, but I reckon the body would start to handle the apparent toxins in modern food given enough time (in this case, a lifetime) and experience (constant barraging of pestisides, preservatives, etc etc)

jkirkpatrick
02-24-2006, 10:58 PM
From what I read it takes the body 100,000 years to make a significant adaptation. (Fat Wars, etc)

Most Xenobiotics are less than 50 yrs old.

"Significant" is subjective. I took that to mean in a more real world sense, not a molecular analogy.

Teh BDK
02-25-2006, 12:02 AM
A species that runs 15 miles a day for 100,000 yrs will eventually produce offspring with adaptive advantages.

On its face, in evolutionary terms, this statement is untrue. Unless the 15 miles is a race and the winners are the ones allowed to mate, there will be no adaptive changes brought on by mere activity and habit.

ArchAngel777
02-25-2006, 12:16 AM
I know some people consider this a myth, but being that I have done a 7 day, water only fast, I can tell you with completely confidence that you will be purified.

When the body doesn't have to digest food, it can shut down that part of the body and work on cleaning you out. Your tongue will get a white coating over it and your breath will stick really bad... This is clearly "The nasties" coming out of you. Whether you brush or not, your breash will be horred as it litterally swells out of you.

There have been many documented cases of people going on prolonged water only fasts (40 days) and have been cured of many ailments... Ailments that lasted for years! But, whatever... I know people call it BS, but until you try it and experience it for yourself, you really cannot call shens on it.

I am not suggest that he do this, nor am I am advocate for fasting, but it DOES clean you out, and not just your colon.

smalls
02-25-2006, 12:40 AM
Archangel777, you usually make pretty good posts backed with evidence. What does "purified" even mean when it comes to the body. "clean" WTF?

I'm not saying you didnt feel better or whatever. But if your confident that we will be purified at least tell us what that entails.

ArchAngel777
02-25-2006, 12:50 AM
Archangel777, you usually make pretty good posts backed with evidence. What does "purified" even mean when it comes to the body. "clean" WTF?

I'm not saying you didnt feel better or whatever. But if your confident that we will be purified at least tell us what that entails.

Smalls... Smalls... Your right, I was vaque and rightly so. The reason I am vague about it is because I cannot prove any of this. Much like 98% of fitness information out there. I could post some links and then someone will post other links to contradict my links and then we could play tag forever, since the internet is a great wealth of resources, I may grow tired of posting on such things.

Basically when I say purified, I mean that everything works better... It is hard to explain. It is like saying that when you start working out, you feel better. You do not become easily tired and your body is on natural crack! Well, that is sort of what a fast does, I believe. There is no doubt that it does detoxify you, that much has been proven, as for feeling much better? I suppose that is subject to debate. But certainly a fast isn't a bad thing, unless you are from a 3rd world country and food is scarce.

But things brings on another dimension of our diet. For instance, osteo perosis, I can't spell it and am too lazy for spell check, but even in 3rd world countries, woman don't get it! So why do we get it in America? Most likely because our diet really isn't that great... That is just one example of basic evidence that just because we are the top of the world doesn't mean we are any more healthy than the rest, it just means we are fat glutons :D

Sensei
02-25-2006, 05:53 AM
I don't consider a colon blow type product to be a cleanse.You read the link, right? You know that was an SNL skit, right?

ArchAngel,
This has nothing to do with fasting, but I think your reasoning about osteoporosis is a bit off. There are many other countries where women suffer from osteoporosis. Maybe not many in less developed countries, but I would argue that they don't suffer from osteoporosis because life-span is generally much shorter. Amount of physical activity probably plays a pretty big role too.

nejar462
02-25-2006, 07:24 AM
Forgive me but I hate pseudo science.

By what mechanism does the body shut itself down and cleanse itself? Why doesn't the body cleanse itself when I eat? What chemicals are these toxins you speak of, and how do you know that people are ingesting more of them than before? What scientifically documented effects show that these "toxins" are indeed harmful and your body becomes better at cleansing them because of you not eating and drinking lots of water? Why doesn't the massive slow down in metabolism caused by not eating seriously decrease the immune systems ability to fight disease? What are these cured "ailments" you speak of and how does the water fasting stack up to these "ailments"?

This is only the beginning of my line of questioning. I have a LOT of questions that need to be answered before I buy this but writing a 20 page essay on why purifying the body through fasting or cleansing is BS and the various challenges that would need to be met is going to be a bit hard.

We could play "internet tag" but the fact is the burden of proof is on you because you're making the claims. Plenty of resources are available for many of the claims fitness experts make so I'm sure you can produce something with scientific backing.

Holto
02-25-2006, 09:57 AM
You read the link, right? You know that was an SNL skit, right?

http://www.colonblow.com/

Holto
02-25-2006, 10:15 AM
I agree that genetic/dna changes will take a looooong time to occur, but I reckon the body would start to handle the apparent toxins in modern food given enough time (in this case, a lifetime) and experience (constant barraging of pestisides, preservatives, etc etc)

When we *adapt* to say a bench press and become more neurologically efficient that "Motor Program" is stored in our motor cortex.

If we can adapt to man made toxins that aren't understood by our DNA where would this *new* info be stored?

jkirkpatrick
02-25-2006, 10:16 AM
"Significant" is subjective. I took that to mean in a more real world sense, not a molecular analogy.

That sounded a bit harsh - not my intentions at all. :nod: