PDA

View Full Version : crossfit as an hiit alternative?

f=ma
02-23-2006, 06:35 PM
I know a lot of people on here are crossfit afficianados and i was wondering if it would be suitable to use it as an HIIT alternative in addition to regular lifting

discuss if you will

MixmasterNash
02-23-2006, 06:49 PM
Yes, sort of. Crossfit is lifting + lifting as HIIT + cardio, etc.

There are particular WODs that are geared towards improving aerobic and anaerobic performance versus strength or hypertrophy.

f=ma
02-23-2006, 06:57 PM
okay.. well..

do you think it would hinder strength gains from lifting if it were done as an HIIT replacement 3 days per week with lifting on the other 4?

greathuskie
02-23-2006, 07:07 PM
just take every 45lb weight in teh gym and move them to another rack as fast as you can
hah

MixmasterNash
02-23-2006, 08:29 PM
just take every 45lb weight in teh gym and move them to another rack as fast as you can
hah

Do it. Great grip workout. I'm not kidding.

MixmasterNash
02-23-2006, 08:30 PM
okay.. well..

do you think it would hinder strength gains from lifting if it were done as an HIIT replacement 3 days per week with lifting on the other 4?

Crossfit IS LIFTING.

It is lifting for aerobic and anaerobic performance, maximum strength, and hypertrophy.

noahfor123
03-31-2006, 12:16 AM
Let's say hypertrophy is my main goal, but I want to start doing crossfit for aerobic performance, GPP, explosive strength, etc. If so, then where would crossfit fit in? Is it by itself a good enough muscle building 'routine', or would someone focusing on gaining size be better off with a 'normal' size routine. If this is the case, that a 'normal' size focused routine is better, then where would crossfit fit in. Let's say I'm doing WBB1.

I'm actually not using WBB1, and I'm trying to focus on size and strength, with an emphasis on strength. I just thought the way I asked my questions was the simplest way.

Ironman15
03-31-2006, 12:37 AM
Let's say hypertrophy is my main goal, but I want to start doing crossfit for aerobic performance, GPP, explosive strength, etc. If so, then where would crossfit fit in? Is it by itself a good enough muscle building 'routine', or would someone focusing on gaining size be better off with a 'normal' size routine. If this is the case, that a 'normal' size focused routine is better, then where would crossfit fit in. Let's say I'm doing WBB1.

I'm actually not using WBB1, and I'm trying to focus on size and strength, with an emphasis on strength. I just thought the way I asked my questions was the simplest way.

Can I recommend checking out Anthony's journal and even my own to an extent. We both use a 5x5/CF routine, not exactly the same though. These might help lead you in the right direction.

Anthony
03-31-2006, 03:34 AM
fma: Like MMN said, yes ... sorta. Yesterday's Crossfit was max effort snatches. Probably not what you're looking for as a HIIT workout. But you could certainly find plenty of "fun" HIIT style workouts to suit your needs. As long as your nutrition and recovery were sufficient, I can't see why it would hinder your strength (mine has actually improved in many areas ... along with endurance, stamina, agility, power, coordination, etc, etc).

noah: depending on your current work capacity, you could introduce 1-2 days of GPP/CF on off days. Again, provided your nutrition and recovery are sufficient, you'll be fine.