PDA

View Full Version : Chips and Salsa

p_man30
02-25-2006, 07:50 AM
I've read through quite a few post and haven't seen anything on chips and salsa. I've read before that its a good snack but is it not for bodybuilding.
I love that stuff and hope its still on the menu...lol

Davidelmo
02-25-2006, 08:51 AM
They are good! :D

Just enjoy yourself and don't worry about it too much. The reason a lot of diets don't work is because you feel you're on a diet all the time. Unless you're on an ultra-strict pre-competition diet, just have your chips and salsa guilt free.

cphafner
02-25-2006, 11:10 AM
chips and salsa are useless calories.

p_man30
02-25-2006, 11:19 AM
I'm not eating it for the calories but for a "snack". I get plenty of calories from everything else.

Optimum08
02-25-2006, 01:35 PM
u can spend those cals on much better foodstuffs more conducive to building muscle...like some chicken...

getfit
02-25-2006, 01:45 PM
u can spend those cals on much better foodstuffs more conducive to building muscle...like some chicken...
yep or cottage cheese,nuts,pb etc...

p_man30
02-25-2006, 01:46 PM
WOW....you guys are really getting the wrong point to my question.....I eat 4500 to 5000 very clean calories a day, i was just wondering if I could eat this as a small snack and if it had any downside to it.

Franco
02-25-2006, 02:22 PM
Processed, and generally ladened with too much sodium and other rubbish.

If you like them that much, then once in a while will be fine but not as a consistent part of your diet.

DumbDude
02-25-2006, 03:16 PM
well if your eating alot of other stuff... they might just help make you fat. If you are eating too little then they might just do nothing.

Optimum08
02-25-2006, 04:48 PM
I've read through quite a few post and haven't seen anything on chips and salsa. I've read before that its a good snack but is it not for bodybuilding.
I love that stuff and hope its still on the menu...lol

what exactly was your question then? the only thing i see in there that remotely looks like a question is if chips and salsa are an adequate snack for bodybuilding purposes. and i answered that question by saying that the cals could be better spend on something like chicken, nuts, or something with protein in it...

Fenrir
02-25-2006, 07:43 PM
mmmm...chips and salsa!:rolleyes:

Clifford Gillmore
02-25-2006, 07:50 PM
Easy calories are always dirty.

Spartacus
02-25-2006, 08:07 PM
chips and salsa are useless calories.

they provide energy, which is actually teh only 'use' calories ever have.

Processed, and generally ladened with too much sodium and other rubbish.

If you like them that much, then once in a while will be fine but not as a consistent part of your diet.

if the 'process' doesn't add carcinogenic chemicals or remove good ones, its not a negative. you can get low or even no sodium chips if you have high blood pressure.

the only thing i would watch out for is making sure you get ones that aren't made with hydrogenised oils. you can also get whole grain chips.

baked chips are great for carbups

Spartacus
02-25-2006, 08:12 PM
favorite salsa:

10-15 roma tomatos
1 small raw onion
coouple cloves raw garlic
1/2 cup cilantro
3 deseeded habeneros, 1 whole habenaro
salt to taste

if you like acidic taste, substitute the tomatos for 20 tomatillos, and add a daash of lime juice

slice the tomatos/onion in half if you're using a blender instead of food processor

(not for the the weak, btw)

Fenrir
02-25-2006, 08:16 PM
good reply and that recipe looks even better :P

Optimum08
02-25-2006, 09:53 PM

what he meant by useless is that there is no use for chips and salsa within a diet created strictly for bodybuilding as everything in a bodybuilder's diet has a specific purpose. this is no considerable amount of nutrition pertaining to bodybuilding whatsoever. BUT if it fits into your caloric goals for the day then chow down...

Franco
02-26-2006, 01:06 AM

if the 'process' doesn't add carcinogenic chemicals or remove good ones, its not a negative. you can get low or even no sodium chips if you have high blood pressure.

the only thing i would watch out for is making sure you get ones that aren't made with hydrogenised oils. you can also get whole grain chips.

baked chips are great for carbups

He never stated the variation of the crisps

Fenrir
02-26-2006, 02:28 AM
chips and salsa make me think of Nacho's!

Ironman15
02-26-2006, 04:01 AM
I don't think it will harm you as long as you don't eat a whole bag. I mean in all reality you can make it healthy by buying good organic chips and then making your own salsa. Salsa is composed of vegetables, can't be too bad. Unless you're competing in a BB competition, I say have it as a snack every once in awhile to keep you sane. Get too strict on a diet and a lot of people just give up.

HILL
02-26-2006, 04:39 AM
As long as you are getting your protein/fats and cals for the day then their is no harm. If you need 4500 cals to bulk as long as you reach that number with enough protein and good fats its not to much of a problem. This would be a real bad idea on a cut in my opinion because they would be useless cals for me.

A healthier usefull option i have is

1 or 2 jacket potatoes cut into wedges with olive oil on top and baked in oven served with either tuna or steak. You could have salso with this

ddegroff
02-26-2006, 01:48 PM
favorite salsa:

10-15 roma tomatos
1 small raw onion
coouple cloves raw garlic
1/2 cup cilantro
3 deseeded habeneros, 1 whole habenaro
salt to taste

(not for the the weak, btw)

that sounds so good, its making my tongue burn

whiteman90909
02-26-2006, 03:49 PM
make your own salsa, or buy organic salsa (not so processed), and instead of chips use tortillas. i like plain flour tortillas, a little warm, with salsa alot more than with chips.

CASD
02-28-2006, 06:39 AM
It's the sodium that gets me with it, Now if I could find reduced or sodium free chips it wouldn't bloat me as bad.. But overall they haven't hurt my cut when eaten in moderation and only like once a week