PDA

View Full Version : Anyone on here Vegetarian?How do you keep up muscle growth?

Cali4niaFitness
02-25-2006, 07:24 PM
I really want to bedcome a vegetarian...or at least a semi vegetarian..not rely so heavily on consuming so much meat for my protein source...

i mean as we all know meat is its extremely unhealthy with all the antibiotics going into meat these days and causes a wide array of health problems in the long run.

not only that its inhumane.
heres the website the meat industy doesnt want you to see:

http://www.meat.org/?c=1107

can those of you who are vegetarians reccomend what you do for your protein source

Clifford Gillmore
02-25-2006, 07:33 PM
As a member of the meat industry, those videos are long dated. The chickens used arn't suitable for poultry, they are generic wine dots that are used for processed foods. Thats all I had time to watch, flicking through it - all bull.

Antibiotics are NOT allowed to be fed to animals as growth promoting hormones, big no no. Everything you are told is a big fib :) Eat meat.

However, if you are dead set against eating animals. Protein shakes are your new staple, along with flax seed oil and tofu. Good luck to you.

getfit
02-25-2006, 07:33 PM
cottage cheese, eggs,soy/tofu,beans/lentils,milk etc..

Spartacus
02-25-2006, 08:17 PM
I really want to bedcome a vegetarian...or at least a semi vegetarian..not rely so heavily on consuming so much meat for my protein source...

i mean as we all know meat is its extremely unhealthy with all the antibiotics going into meat these days and causes a wide array of health problems in the long run.

can those of you who are vegetarians reccomend what you do for your protein source

we don't 'all know' that such meats are less healthy.

also inhuman treatement of animals results in inferior quality of meat. a startled, fearful animal results in tough, unpleasant meat.

fi you do want to be a vegetarian, the important things are to keep in mind that you're eating a smaller range of foods, so nutrient deficiencies are more likely, especially in protien, iron, b-12, calcium, EFAs, etc. track your **** on fitday for a while to make sure you're getting what you need.

Spartacus
02-25-2006, 08:20 PM
also, it might be helpful to distinguish between things which are actually painful to animals, and those which are unpleasant to squeamish human observers

drew
02-25-2006, 10:22 PM
What's a vegetarian?

Optimum08
02-25-2006, 10:44 PM

so how bout we all find one source on the internet that says all these things about meat then want to become a vegetarian...sounds like a plan to me!

Cali4niaFitness
02-25-2006, 11:06 PM
so how bout we all find one source on the internet that says all these things about meat then want to become a vegetarian...sounds like a plan to me!

its not just one source buddy

Cali4niaFitness
02-25-2006, 11:10 PM
As a member of the meat industry, those videos are long dated. The chickens used arn't suitable for poultry, they are generic wine dots that are used for processed foods. Thats all I had time to watch, flicking through it - all bull.

Antibiotics are NOT allowed to be fed to animals as growth promoting hormones, big no no. Everything you are told is a big fib :) Eat meat.

However, if you are dead set against eating animals. Protein shakes are your new staple, along with flax seed oil and tofu. Good luck to you.

animals are processed to yield high volume and high profit. you REALLY think antibiotics and hormones arent facilitated to animals?

i mean lets forget about the disturbing ways animals are killed but lets just focus on the health issues of eating meat. if u do ur research unbiased research uw ill find this to be true..

anyway im not all set on becoming a vegan hippie and all that **** im just thinking of toning down my meat consumption a little bit... i was hoping there would be some vegetarians on here who know about obtaining optimal protein from other sources.

TheGimp
02-26-2006, 04:25 AM
Quorn, tofu, other meat analogues.

Gutz981
02-26-2006, 08:02 AM
What's a vegetarian?

I dunno buddy. But I think I ate one once. lol

Clifford Gillmore
02-26-2006, 09:07 AM
i mean lets forget about the disturbing ways animals are killed but lets just focus on the health issues of eating meat. if u do ur research unbiased research uw ill find this to be true.

Lets have a looksee. 100 years ago people where eating 80lbs of red meat a year, now we only eat 30lbs. I see more health problems now.

Who cares what your motives are, either your vegan or not.

TwiloMike
02-26-2006, 09:15 AM
i was hoping there would be some vegetarians on here who know about obtaining optimal protein from other sources.
Not a vegetarian here. "Optimal protein" and non-meat sources aren't compatible. You will compromise your protein quality intake if you avoid meat.

When you say you want to be more vegetarian, do you still plan on eating fish? I'm asking for clarification, not to jump on you. I know vegetarians who don't eat 4-legged animals but do consume fish, eggs, poultry. It might serve you well to not cut out poultry.

Bohizzle
02-26-2006, 09:48 AM
Not a vegetarian here. "Optimal protein" and non-meat sources aren't compatible. You will compromise your protein quality intake if you avoid meat.

When you say you want to be more vegetarian, do you still plan on eating fish? I'm asking for clarification, not to jump on you. I know vegetarians who don't eat 4-legged animals but do consume fish, eggs, poultry. It might serve you well to not cut out poultry.
Wouldn't that mean that they are not vegetarians? They might consider themselves vegetarians, but by eating poultry and fish, they are certainly not.

to OP: Risk is correct is saying that Hunter-gatherers ate much more meat than average people today (some groups as low as 20% meat, and others as high as 80%). You just have to look at ur meat sources. if ur that worried about where meat is coming from, why not start hunting and eating ur kills (if the law allows it, not too sure).

pruneman
02-26-2006, 10:22 AM
I'm a vegetarian between meals :D

TwiloMike
02-26-2006, 11:07 AM
Wouldn't that mean that they are not vegetarians? They might consider themselves vegetarians, but by eating poultry and fish, they are certainly not.
Not strict vegetarians, that's for sure. I should have been more specific and called them "self-described vegetarians".

TwiloMike
02-26-2006, 11:07 AM
I'm a vegetarian between meals :D
Pfffffft. Between meals I'm on hunger strike!

greathuskie
02-26-2006, 11:26 AM
for literally millions of years humans have been eating meat, and well its worked good for us so far, why should we change now?

gimme a steak anyday, you keep eating your cottage cheese and tofu

getfit
02-26-2006, 11:42 AM
for literally millions of years humans have been eating meat, and well its worked good for us so far, why should we change now?

gimme a steak anyday, you keep eating your cottage cheese and tofu
thank you,i've been vegetarian almost all my life, no problems whatsoever

Vapour Trails
02-26-2006, 11:50 AM
I had a friend who was very strong and large while being a vegetarian, which is to say I don't think meat is a necessary for success. He didn't consume very large quanitites of protein at all, but it never seemed to hurt his performance or mass.

However, he has since quit being a vegetarian. In fact every vegetarian I have known over the years has returned to eating meat. Idealism clearly fades with age.

getfit
02-26-2006, 11:54 AM
I had a friend who was very strong and large while being a vegetarian, which is to say I don't think meat is a necessary for success. He didn't consume very large quanitites of protein at all, but it never seemed to hurt his performance or mass.

However, he has since quit being a vegetarian. In fact every vegetarian I have known over the years has returned to eating meat. Idealism clearly fades with age.
i definently consume enough protein around 180g sometimes more per day

hoser813
02-26-2006, 11:54 AM

mmmmmmm..... tasty! :burger:

drew
02-26-2006, 11:57 AM
I dunno buddy. But I think I ate one once. lol
I alwyas thank God for vegetarians. They leave more meat for me. :burger:

Anyway, I may as make myself useful.

Don't believe everything you read on the in3rweb. Shockingly, some people twist facts to push their agenda.

Just stick to foods high in protein, and keep as much variety as you can. If it's not a moral dilemma or whatever, eat eggs and drink milk and eat fish if you can. You don't NEED red meat to gain weight. But eating fish would be a big help. I don't know if there are any shocking stories of cruelty to fish. I think people don't believe fish have feelings, but somehow cows do. I call it the furry animal theory. If an animal is cute and furry, we can't hurt it because it has feelings. But bring on the scaly ugly fish.

TheGimp
02-26-2006, 12:03 PM
There's a hell of a lot of crap in this thread compared to what the OP asked for.

Beast
02-26-2006, 12:08 PM
Basically what getfit told you (look how great she looks). Lots of dairy and beans... although you didn't exactly tell us what type of a vegetarian you'll be. There are lots that don't even eat eggs. There are also some that eat fish, etc.

ddegroff
02-26-2006, 01:01 PM
if your so worried about whats in the meat, go to whole foods, or wild oats, or any organic food store. They strive to have "perfect" meat.

Now with that said, if your so worried about HOW the poor little chicken dyied, then go eat your plants. Getfit has no problem getting in enough protein not eating meat.

Goodwinm
02-26-2006, 03:30 PM

ill give you a response to the question u asked in the first place. none of the bull*hit in between posts.

i wreckon you should drink a lot of milk, protein shakes (unripe and ripe bananas for protein and carbs) balance that with pasta, and salad. Although not gettin meaty goodness, ur still gettin protein ur body needs. However if you have my opinion on the case, I dont believe being a vegetarian is healthy. At all!. It really can't be healthy on the body.

whiteman90909
02-26-2006, 03:47 PM
for every animal you dont eat, im eating three.

getfit
02-26-2006, 03:49 PM
ill give you a response to the question u asked in the first place. none of the bull*hit in between posts.

i wreckon you should drink a lot of milk, protein shakes (unripe and ripe bananas for protein and carbs) balance that with pasta, and salad. Although not gettin meaty goodness, ur still gettin protein ur body needs. However if you have my opinion on the case, I dont believe being a vegetarian is healthy. At all!. It really can't be healthy on the body.
oh, oh! i'm very healthy and my body is as healthy as can be

getfit
02-26-2006, 03:51 PM

please explain why you think this?

Hazerboy
02-26-2006, 05:58 PM

The thread starter kind of brought this on himself by posting the video, Which to me seems not only a biased source but a poor representation of the meat industry; I'd rather see objective statistics on inhumane animal treatment than videos that represent one or two factories total.

I would say that being a vegatarian is in no means unhealthy, just very difficult; I think most would agree that it is far more difficult to acquire all the nescessary proteins, amino acids, fats, etc. without meat. Of course I'm not saying that it can't be done, GetFit is living proof of that, but can't we at least agree that it is much harder?

ArchAngel777
02-26-2006, 06:43 PM
I alwyas thank God for vegetarians. They leave more meat for me. :burger:

Amen to that!!!

Cali4niaFitness
02-26-2006, 10:31 PM
Lets have a looksee. 100 years ago people where eating 80lbs of red meat a year, now we only eat 30lbs. I see more health problems now.

Who cares what your motives are, either your vegan or not.

dude please tell me you arent that stupid????

people are living longer now because of medical advancements but we have more health problems now because of all the toxins and antibiotics administered to poulty , meat,dairy etc. on top of all the horrible additives like hydrogenated oils, high sodium content etc. found in food in your average pantry. food way back when was alot less processed.

intargc
02-27-2006, 08:54 AM

Why not try organic meats? Maverick Ranch is a great provider of organic meats.

TwiloMike
02-27-2006, 09:12 AM
food way back when was alot less processed.
If your problem is additives then buy organic, free range, kosher, halal, etc. If you can find a combination of all the above, more power to ya.

If your entire goal is to preach about the suffering of chickens then you're wasting your efforts, for the most part.

intargc
02-27-2006, 09:23 AM
If your problem is additives then buy organic, free range, kosher, halal, etc. If you can find a combination of all the above, more power to ya.

If your entire goal is to preach about the suffering of chickens then you're wasting your efforts, for the most part.

Thanks for repeating my suggestion. ;)

I personally eat organic meats as much as possible. I simply think it's WAY more tender and tastier than non-organic meats.

However, if you are in fact trying to preach about suffering chickens and animals, then you should also stop eating soy, wheat and harvested vegetables. Read up on the animals that are killed or end up suffering until dying during harvesting. And they're not even put to good use after dying! :)

TwiloMike
02-27-2006, 09:48 AM
Thanks for repeating my suggestion. ;)

No problem. I noticed there wasn't an echo in this thread so I did something about it. I'm proactive and stuff. ;)

intargc
02-27-2006, 09:52 AM
No problem. I noticed there wasn't an echo in this thread so I did something about it. I'm proactive and stuff. ;)

:moon:

skaterdude
02-27-2006, 12:29 PM
you are an animal. animals eat animals in nature.

Meat is murder, and murder taste good.