PDA

View Full Version : Bodyfat reduction.. How fast should it drop?

John04Civic
02-26-2006, 08:58 PM
With proper diet and exercise for Bodybuilders.. What is a proper drop in body fat %??

Would you say about 1% or 2% of body fat per month or maybe more than that?

Just curious (trying to measure up with those that do this best!)

John

ArchAngel777
02-26-2006, 09:02 PM
A percentage is going to vary... In actual hard numbers, the advice given on this forum is to lose about 1 pound per week for a total of 4 - 5 per month. Depending on how large you are, or how fat you are, this will be a different percentage for everyone.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
02-26-2006, 09:51 PM
You lose weight faster the heavier you are, but yes...about 4-5 pounds is generally a good range. If you're losing 30 pounds a month...you're doing something unhealthy.

John04Civic
02-27-2006, 07:21 AM
You lose weight faster the heavier you are, but yes...about 4-5 pounds is generally a good range. If you're losing 30 pounds a month...you're doing something unhealthy.
Alright... Maybe I am not eating enough then. I feel like I am dropping weight a little faster than I should.

I am eating RIGHT, I just should eat more of the right stuff I guess! I went from 191 to 186. I know water weight or whatever is the possibility,but when do you find out when it is ACTUAL weight loss?

Jorge Sanchez
02-27-2006, 07:43 AM
You find out that it`s actual weight loss when you step on the scale and the reading is less than last time.

If you continue to lose 5lbs a week you will be losing too much muscle. Monitor your calories and weight closely and adjust accordingly.

eatit
02-27-2006, 12:35 PM
,but when do you find out when it is ACTUAL weight loss?

there are two ways to go about this. If you're diet has a cycle to it (free days, carb loading, cheat meals yadda yadda) weight yourself at the start of each cycle and use that to determine the weight loss.

The other is take regular body fat measurements and pair those with weight. This too should be done at consistant times. The body fat measurements don't actually have to be accurate just consistant so that means you can just do it yourself with some ten dollar calipers instead of dropping some cash everytime you want it measured.

John04Civic
02-27-2006, 03:59 PM
there are two ways to go about this. If you're diet has a cycle to it (free days, carb loading, cheat meals yadda yadda) weight yourself at the start of each cycle and use that to determine the weight loss.

The other is take regular body fat measurements and pair those with weight. This too should be done at consistant times. The body fat measurements don't actually have to be accurate just consistant so that means you can just do it yourself with some ten dollar calipers instead of dropping some cash everytime you want it measured.
Okay, so in summary from the posts..

CONSTANTLY check on LBM (Lean Body Mass) and BF%.

If it falls out of proportion.. Muscle is being lost..

I will start doing that for now on. I may throw in a cheat day on the weekends to help stabilize my weight loss (I do have fast metabolism).

Thanks again everyone!

John

ArchAngel777
02-27-2006, 04:26 PM
Generally the first 10 pounds of weight tends to be water on a diet. So, take for instance that I was 222 and three months prior to that I was 260. It looks as if I lost 38 pounds in that three months, but most likely 5-10 was water. So, if you take for sake of being conservative 5 pounds out of that, then I could say I lost 33 in 3 months, which is 11 per month. If it was 10 pounds of water weight, then I lost 28 and was about 9.33 a month.

Bottom line? Don't measure your weight loss immediately, wait 1-2 weeks into your diet to create an accurate starting point as to whether or not your weight was water loss of just tissue. Make sense?

You could take starting weight... Then you could take a second starting weight after 1-2 weeks and track your progress. You can still refer to your first number, but most likely much of it was water that it skews the results a tad... I wish I would have had a second starting weight that I recorded.