PDA

View Full Version : getting serious now

jklop313
02-26-2006, 10:20 PM
hey all, i'm pretty new here if you couldn't tell. Well i'm starting a journal, and since it's the first entry, I figured I would list my workout so you all can critique it if needed. thanks

Mind you, I am 5' 10, 165, with around 8 - 10% bodyfat (I'm not really to sure of what it is, but i can see my abs and my midsection is where i usually gain weight if any).

First off, my diet. I'm bulking, so I am eating upwards of 4 to 5000 calories a day. And if any of this sounds familiar, it's Wendy's, I work there.

8 am - protein shake (120 calories, 26 grams protein)
845 - 2 biscuits with sausage or bacon (400 cals each?, protein ?)
11 am - 2 double stacks plain (roughly 400 cals each, 25g protein)
2 pm - 2 double stacks plain, baked potato (for quality carbs), chili (carbs,
protein)
5 - 6pm - 2 double stacks plain OR 1 can of campbells chunky soup (300 cals) and a protein shake
9pm - can of chunky soup/protein shake

***Gym from 10 to 12***

12midnight - protein shake after gym/before bed (sometimes another soup)

That's about 3800 to 4000 calories I believe. I would eat more, as I am bulking, but it gets kind of expensive.

Also, I'm going to start using creatine soon. I've heards different things about cycling it. Suggestions?

And on to the workout, I have a 3 day split between Legs, backs/bi's, chest/tri's. Oh and plz don't kill me if I don't know the exact name of the exercise and try to describe it instead.

Monday and Thursday- Legs

Squats - 4 x 8
Incline leg press - 3 x 8
seated leg extension - 3 x 8
lying leg curl (on stomach) - 3 x 8
calf extension 3 x 8
Deadlifts 4 x 5 **MOVED, NEW**

Tuesday and Saturday- Back and Bi's

Seated Row - 3 x 8 (for middle back, pulled to sides)
Seated Row - 3 x 8 (for upper back , using rope, pulled towards neck)
Lat pulldowns - 3 x 8
Hyperextensions - 3 x 8 (i do these because i just dont feel it from deadlifts but I KNOW i need to do them and am trying to learn properly) **LOWER BACK MOVED TO LEG DAY**
Shrugs - 3 x 8
bicep barbell curl - 3 x 8 (seated, isolated, should i do another for biceps/forearms?)

Wednesday and Sunday- Chest and Tri's, shoulders

Bench Press - 3 x 8
Incline bench press - 3 x 8
Chest flys - 3 x 8
Dips - 3 x 8/10
tricep pulldown/extension - 3 x 8 (when you stand and use a rope to pull straight down, keeping elbows at sides)
Seated military press - 3 x 8
rear delts - 3 x 8 (laying face down on a bench, pull dumbells up/out)

In addition, I have Fridays off. And I do abs every other day:

Abs --

Weighted incline crunches - 3 x 12/16
Reverse crunches - 3 x 12/16 (where you hold high end of incline bench and lift legs and lower back off bench)

That's pretty much it. I also throw in a drop/strip set every now and then fro variety. I used to run alot, but I dropped it in order to bulk. I play basketball a few times a week but I try not to overdo the cardio for now. I'm not really worried about gaining fat, I've been a skinny kid all my life and believe I can get cut when the time comes.

If you guys have any time, I'd appriciate tips/ suggestions. You can just straight-up cut me down if you want. Anything helps. And if you have any questions I will try to answer them ASAP.

Thanks everyone, looking forward to getting to know some of you guys, and also, to getting big.

jklop313
02-28-2006, 04:26 PM
did good last night, hit squats deep and hard, did 215 1st set.

also moving lower back to leg day because of how much its used in squatting.
(or just how much i can feel it)

my bodyweight is up to almost 170, but i can see more fat as well.

hitting th gym earlier today because i have an early day at work tomorrow

jklop313
02-28-2006, 07:46 PM
gym was packed toay so workout went kinda long

i weigh 170.6 now... hopefully it's mostly muscle that i am putting on.

did resistance on Bi's today, felt awesome

++EAT, SLEEP

jklop313
03-02-2006, 05:49 PM
hell yeah, i made it (seemingly) over a plateau that ive had on my bench for about a month, threw up 145 no prob

shoulders a killer as usual-- did 80

doing crunches with a 35 lb plate instead of a 25 now, ++less reps, more weight

well that was yesterday, as for today-- im going to attempt squatting 225, did 215 last time

and i moved lower back to today because of how much i feel it through my back, and the fact that deadlifts and squats both incorperate a lot of muscles

i dont really know WHEN i should stop bulking, but man! its makes me sad to add fat to my body :( hah, oh well

offhegoes03
03-02-2006, 06:04 PM
hey man.. decided I'd check in on your journal. From the first post, were you saying that you work at Wendy's so basically all your meals during the day are from there? No offense, but that's probably why you're feeling fatter as you're bulking. That can't really be that healthy eating all that fast food. There's no need to cycle creatine or load. Most people around here recommend taking 5 grams a day with 20-25 grams of dextrose. Read some of the stickeys in the supplement forum for more help. It seems that you have a good amount of exercises for each body part, but just make sure you aren't overworking the muscles. Also, it looks like you're trying to squeeze too much into your chest/shoulders/triceps day. Everyone has their own preference, but it just seems a bit much to me.

jklop313
03-02-2006, 06:42 PM
thanks for the info man

and yeah, i know wendys isnt prime for packing on lean muscle, buts its all ive got, and while this may not seem possible, i eat as healthy as possible there

as for chest, tris, shoulders, i know its a lot, but i just dont have anohter day for any of the excercises if i want to keep the three day split

anyway though, thanks again

any feedback is appreciated!!

jklop313
03-03-2006, 06:38 PM
missed legs day
no excuse is worthy :(
going out tonight

McIrish
03-03-2006, 10:07 PM
Workouts are looking solid, but I'm with Chris on this one - it doesn't cost much to buy some plain chicken breasts/whey protein/oats/natural peanut butter... voila, that's a good start to everything you want to eat on your own. You can avoid the trans fats @ Wendy's, too. Keep it up, though, you've got great determination and an awesome work ethic.