PDA

View Full Version : Nightly workouts and food

intargc
02-27-2006, 08:47 AM
So, I'm having to start hitting the gym at night. The problem is, the gym is CROWDED with people anywhere from 5 PM - 8:30PM. At 8:30 PM, it starts to clear out a bit and by 9:30 PM, it's down to a reasonable amount of people so you can actually get to each machine without having to wait for the bicep boys to finish their 12th set of curls on the cables.

The problem is, I don't get off of work until 7PM. I can't eat dinner right after work because by the time I'm done cooking it and eating it, it will be around 8 - 8:30 and that leaves me no time for the food to digest before working out. I've tried this the past couple of nights and I've thrown up twice due to the food just sitting on my stomach and the intensity of my workout.

My question is, if I get out of the gym by 10 PM and home by 10:15, get dinner cooked and eaten by 11:30 and then get in bed by Midnight, will this cause a problem with fat gain? I will be consuming some carbs for dinner... such as whole grain pasta's, breads, etc...

the one
02-27-2006, 09:51 AM
it wont promote fat gain unless your over your caloric limit. why not have a shake when you get outta work, go to the gym, have a shake after, and then a real meal at 1130??

intargc
02-27-2006, 09:54 AM
it wont promote fat gain unless your over your caloric limit. why not have a shake when you get outta work, go to the gym, have a shake after, and then a real meal at 1130??

I need to get in bed by Midnight. While I get out of work late, I go into work relatively early. I wake up at 8 AM, so in order to get 8 hours, I have to be asleep by Midnight. However, if I eat at 11:30, I'll be up until 12:30 or 1 easily...

Any benefits to your suggestion?

ddegroff
02-27-2006, 09:55 AM
Same problem here. i usually go around 9:30 or so. I eat like a bird throughout the day and start adding cals to my meal as i get closer to my workout. I eat tons of food afterward. Im cutting and I still eat tons of calories right before bed. Like the one said eat a shake then have a real meal afterwards, just stay with your caloric requirements.

intargc
02-27-2006, 09:59 AM
I just always heard that your body metabolizes food differently when you're asleep as opposed to when you're awake and that eating carbs before bedtime can cause fat production... I'm not sure how this relates to bodybuilding as opposed to someone that doesn't exercise at all.

ddegroff
02-27-2006, 10:14 AM
common myth... remember your not going to eat for atleast 6-8hr, you need to feed your body so that it doesnt break down muscle while your asleep. you want it to build new muscle.

edit: carbs don't turn to fat, excess cals do.

skaterdude
02-27-2006, 11:06 AM
eat a protein bar while you sitting at you desk/whatever at work, maybe munch on some almonds before you leave work or while driving so you have some stuff for your body to use.

also maybe try to cook a few meals on your off days so you can just heat them up when you get home, so you have more time. when i was a kid my mom only had 1 day off a week, Sunday and so she would spend a few hours on sunday and cook 3 or 4 meals for the week. what a great mum.

TwiloMike
02-27-2006, 11:31 AM
The problem is, I don't get off of work until 7PM. I can't eat dinner right after work because by the time I'm done cooking it and eating it, it will be around 8 - 8:30 and that leaves me no time for the food to digest before working out.
I don't know what kind of work you do but a sandwich before you leave work might help you, or a shake. I eat a sandwich around 4-4:30 at work, then leave at 5 for the gym.

My question is, if I get out of the gym by 10 PM and home by 10:15, get dinner cooked and eaten by 11:30 and then get in bed by Midnight, will this cause a problem with fat gain? I will be consuming some carbs for dinner... such as whole grain pasta's, breads, etc...
I don't see a problem with fat gain. Why does it take you so long to prepare/eat dinner? Cook up some stuff over the weekend and keep it in the fridge to heat up as soon as you get home and eat. If you get home at 10:15 you should be eating by 10:30, thereby shaving a full hour off your schedule. A protein shake before you hit the sheets should do you good also.

intargc
02-27-2006, 12:01 PM
I don't know what kind of work you do but a sandwich before you leave work might help you, or a shake. I eat a sandwich around 4-4:30 at work, then leave at 5 for the gym.

I don't see a problem with fat gain. Why does it take you so long to prepare/eat dinner? Cook up some stuff over the weekend and keep it in the fridge to heat up as soon as you get home and eat. If you get home at 10:15 you should be eating by 10:30, thereby shaving a full hour off your schedule. A protein shake before you hit the sheets should do you good also.

I just don't always have things prepared... I've been making meals like meatballs and meatloaf and such and trying to get them ready for eating at least two nights of the week. I'm trying! The thing is, my girlfriend works out with me and I'm trying to get things that both of us like. She hates things like meatballs or pretty much anything with hamburger involved and she keeps trying it but she never likes it (it's a texture thing with her). However, I figure she can just fend for herself on my hamburger meal nights. :)

Thanks for the suggestions guys...

skaterdude
02-27-2006, 12:05 PM
The thing is, my girlfriend works out with me...

wait a second. if you have a girlfriend, dinner should already be made and ready when you get home. and she should be making you lunch with some pre-workout snacks.

intargc
02-27-2006, 12:09 PM
what a second. if you have a girlfriend, dinner should already be made and ready when you get home. and she should be making you lunch with some pre-workout snacks.

;) She does a good job at keeping me fed when she's not swamped. She's studying to be a personal trainer on top of having a full time job and dealing with other time consuming issues. We trade off on cooking meals. I'm home before she gets home so it usually works out that I'm cooking on our gym nights and she's cooking on our off nights.

However, Saturday morning she makes great protein pancakes!