PDA

View Full Version : Protein Packed Pasta

blaindsmith
02-27-2006, 11:38 AM
Anyone see this yet?

http://www.barillaus.com/PLUS_information.aspx

superhombre2k
02-27-2006, 11:50 AM
I used to eat that stuff all the time. Right now I'm doing a 50 day cycle of X-Factor and have to avoid omega 3 fatty acids but when it's over, I'll be eating Barilla Plus again. It's got 17 grams of protein and 7 grams of fiber per cup uncooked, You can't beat that!

intargc
02-27-2006, 12:13 PM
This is the pasta I eat! It's is SO yummy too! Much better tasting than bleached pasta's, IMO. I love it!

Ironman15
02-27-2006, 12:14 PM
i'm assuming there is no meat by-product in the pasta, therefore it would be incomplete protein, thus you would need to combine it with another food that has the amino acids the pasta does not have for it to have the effect of a complete protein. At least i think that's right, perhaps someone can elaborate better. Not that that pasta is a bad choice, but you should line up other food with it to make it a complete protein.

eatit
02-27-2006, 12:29 PM
how many carbs does this have? It looks pretty interesting but i'm having a hard time trying to find a basic nutritional breakdown on their website.

Davidelmo
02-27-2006, 12:30 PM
According to the sit it's a 0.8 on the quality index
(1.0 is equivalent to egg white and 9.2 is equivalent to beef)

It doesn't clearly state whether or not it's a complete protein.

Davidelmo
02-27-2006, 12:30 PM
Yeah, funny it tells fat, protein but not carbs or kcal.

intargc
02-27-2006, 12:53 PM
i'm assuming there is no meat by-product in the pasta, therefore it would be incomplete protein

Yeah, I've never heard of that before. There are different types of protein and most of the protein in this pasta I believe comes from soy and other sources. Soy isn't "incomplete".

I have plenty of these at home and I will go home tonight and post the Nutrition Facts on it so you guys can see the carb count. I believe it's just about the same as any other pasta. The only thing about this pasta is that it's not bleached pasta. It's multi-grain. Which, regardless of the protein in it, it's a hell of a lot better to be eating than bleached pasta. Not to mention it tastes amazing!

Holto
02-27-2006, 02:36 PM
Ironically there is no such thing as an incomplete protein.

If you are curious, look it up.

Go to a place like www.nutritiondata.com and look up something like romaine lettuce.

You will find all the essential amino's are there.

Bohizzle
02-27-2006, 03:36 PM

If you are curious, look it up.

Go to a place like www.nutritiondata.com and look up something like romaine lettuce.

You will find all the essential amino's are there.
I was under the impression that certain sources of protein lacked certain amino acids - (ie. corn and tryptophan, which led to deficiencies of niacin(synthesized from tryptophan) in early agricultural peoples).

Not trying to be a dick, just trying to get my facts right.

Andrew

Gutz981
02-27-2006, 03:51 PM
had that pre workout today :)

intargc
02-27-2006, 04:53 PM
Here are the Nutrition Facts. I found that the Barilla PLUS actually have FEWER carbs than the bleached pastas. About 10g less.

Nutrtion Facts for Barilla PLUS Thin Spagetti:

Serving Size: 2oz (56g - 1/8 box)
Servings Per Container: 8

Calories: 200

Fat: 1g
Saturated Fat: 0g
Trans Fat: 0g
Cholesterol: 0g
Sodium 25mg

Total Carbohydrates: 38g
Dietary Fiber: 4g
Sugars: 1g
Protein: 10g

Vitamin A: 0%
Vitamin C: 0%
Calcium: 2%
Iron: 10%
Thiamin: 35%
Riboflavin: 15%
Niacin: 15%
Folate: 30%

deeder
02-27-2006, 04:57 PM
I used to eat that stuff all the time. Right now I'm doing a 50 day cycle of X-Factor and have to avoid omega 3 fatty acids but when it's over, I'll be eating Barilla Plus again. It's got 17 grams of protein and 7 grams of fiber per cup uncooked, You can't beat that!

Uhhh.. Why? Isn't that an essential fatty acid?

Optimum08
02-27-2006, 05:10 PM
Uhhh.. Why? Isn't that an essential fatty acid?

i was also curious as to what kind of diet or supplement made u cycle off fish oil to take it? even an extreme diet as a PSMF allows for fish oil consumption..

KingWilder
02-27-2006, 07:27 PM
I'll just stick with whole wheat pasta

eatit
02-27-2006, 08:35 PM
looks like it might be okay on a bulk. But it's not really all that great of a carb to protein ratio. I guess you could always do something like throw some tuna (i'm sure with enough tomato it could work) or chicken breast in there. Maybe even come up with a sauce that uses some unflavoured whey?....

intargc
02-27-2006, 08:47 PM
looks like it might be okay on a bulk. But it's not really all that great of a carb to protein ratio. I guess you could always do something like throw some tuna (i'm sure with enough tomato it could work) or chicken breast in there. Maybe even come up with a sauce that uses some unflavoured whey?....

An easier and better tasting solution is simply making a meat sauce from lean organic beef like I always do. :) I'm getting about 65g of protein with the added beef.

eatit
02-27-2006, 10:25 PM
you're right, that is an easier and better tasting solution. I'm so used to trying to come up with new ways of getting protein that sometimes i forget the basic staples....

Although i am starting to think more and more about a creamy whey sauce.....

deeder
02-27-2006, 10:29 PM

Sorry to harp on this and I know it's :offtopic: but I did a search and found this:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/mn/xfactor.html

This supplement supposed benefits are:

Increase Protein Synthesis Rates (Muscle Growth)
Significant Fat Loss
Dramatic Strength Gains
Increased Pumps
Increased Androgen Receptor Levels
Amplified IGF-1 Signaling
Increased Post-Workout Soreness

Sounds like it claims to be a steroid... Also I don't get the part about increased post workout soreness being a benefit... I always saw that as a bad thing.

I wouldn't bother wasting money on this product... Especially at 50$ for a 20 day supply...

TheGimp
02-28-2006, 02:56 AM
I was under the impression that certain sources of protein lacked certain amino acids - (ie. corn and tryptophan, which led to deficiencies of niacin(synthesized from tryptophan) in early agricultural peoples).

They don't lack them entirely - but they only possess them in small quantities. Thus the term "incomplete" is a misnomer, a better term would be "limited"

It is my understanding that there are one or two genuinely incomplete protein sources - such as gelatine.

i'm assuming there is no meat by-product in the pasta, therefore it would be incomplete protein, thus you would need to combine it with another food that has the amino acids the pasta does not have for it to have the effect of a complete protein.

As mentioned above, the idea of incomplete proteins is rubbish. However the site states that:

The majority of high quality protein in Barilla PLUS is derived from the multi-grain and legume flour, as well as egg whites.

Which means concerns about the protein quality of a purely wheat based pasta are unfounded.

Ironman15
02-28-2006, 03:43 AM
Thanks for clearing that up. I know I've read it on other sites in the past as well as Arnold's Bodybuilding Encyclopedia (I know most of what's in there is incorrect, still an interesting read) that have talked about non-meat sources of protein being incomplete sources. So thanks again, now I know these things are just limiting...

Holto
02-28-2006, 09:09 AM
Thanks Gimp.

NO2
02-28-2006, 04:49 PM
WOW thats some good stuff.. i wounder if they have it here in montreal canada

Bohizzle
02-28-2006, 05:31 PM
:clap: thanks for the clarification

superhombre2k
02-28-2006, 11:26 PM
Sorry to harp on this and I know it's :offtopic: but I did a search and found this:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/mn/xfactor.html

This supplement supposed benefits are:

Increase Protein Synthesis Rates (Muscle Growth)
Significant Fat Loss
Dramatic Strength Gains
Increased Pumps
Increased Androgen Receptor Levels
Amplified IGF-1 Signaling
Increased Post-Workout Soreness

Sounds like it claims to be a steroid... Also I don't get the part about increased post workout soreness being a benefit... I always saw that as a bad thing.

I wouldn't bother wasting money on this product... Especially at 50$ for a 20 day supply...

It's not a steroid. There's a lot of information on it over at the bodybuilding.com forums, some might scare people but I've weighed the pros and cons. Plus, I got it for free in exchange for running a 50 cycle to review it. I'm logging it here as well as on bodybuilding.com for those who are interested or just want to see why I'd take such a thing.

young buk
03-01-2006, 06:02 PM
how much does this stuff cost? couldnt find the price on the link but everytime i see a product like this it always is like super expensive

deeder
03-01-2006, 06:19 PM
It's not a steroid. There's a lot of information on it over at the bodybuilding.com forums, some might scare people but I've weighed the pros and cons. Plus, I got it for free in exchange for running a 50 cycle to review it. I'm logging it here as well as on bodybuilding.com for those who are interested or just want to see why I'd take such a thing.

I know it's not a steroid... I said it sounds like it claims to be a steroid. Most of the 'benefits' that it lists are some that can only be achieved with gear.

I guess if you got it for free go for it. But I don't know why you'd deprive your body of an essential fatty acid (omega-3), flax and fish oil, and any pain medication you might need.

superhombre2k
03-01-2006, 11:01 PM
how much does this stuff cost? couldnt find the price on the link but everytime i see a product like this it always is like super expensive

It's about $90-100 for 2 bottles, which will do about 50-66 days depending on your dose (3 caps under 200lbs, 4 caps over)