PDA

View Full Version : Isocaloric diet for getting very lean?

Mad Max
02-28-2006, 10:15 AM
Well I've been on UD 2.0 for almost 6 weeks now and I'm disappointed with the fat loss: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=74342&page=2.

I'm naturally lean anyway, about 10% bf, but want to get down to 6-7%. I was lloking to get on an easier diet. I was thinking of an isocaloric diet with a 20% deficit. What do you guys think? Is this a good way to get down to very low bf levels?

Built
02-28-2006, 10:24 AM
Well I've been on UD 2.0 for almost 6 weeks now and I'm disappointed with the fat loss: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=74342&page=2.

I'm naturally lean anyway, about 10% bf, but want to get down to 6-7%. I was lloking to get on an easier diet. I was thinking of an isocaloric diet with a 20% deficit. What do you guys think? Is this a good way to get down to very low bf levels?

A 20% deficit is as low as you'd want to go for a conventional diet. I have some cutting guidelines in the link in my sig.

Mad Max
02-28-2006, 10:45 AM
Thanks Built. I've read your diet, actually it was the first thing I did when I thought of switching diets.
It looks good, I am considering it, as it looks almot isocaloric. I could be on roughly 200g of carbs on training days, which would be ok if I train five days a week (four days of weight training and martial arts, plus a day with just martial arts). The only thing I'd like to change would be to spread the carbs over the whole day, rather than just around the training. I'm at uni' at the moment, I live with friends, and I'm getting sick of turning down comunal meals with them because they contain too much carbs. The evening is the only time I get to cook a proper meal, so I'd prefer it if if wasn't too carb restricted.
Non training days I could drop to 100g, and still be on almost twice the carbs I'm on on UD2.0 low carb days.
Good God I want carbs!!!!

Built
02-28-2006, 11:11 AM
Thanks Built. I've read your diet, actually it was the first thing I did when I thought of switching diets.
It looks good, I am considering it, as it looks almot isocaloric. I could be on roughly 200g of carbs on training days, which would be ok if I train five days a week (four days of weight training and martial arts, plus a day with just martial arts). The only thing I'd like to change would be to spread the carbs over the whole day, rather than just around the training. I'm at uni' at the moment, I live with friends, and I'm getting sick of turning down comunal meals with them because they contain too much carbs. The evening is the only time I get to cook a proper meal, so I'd prefer it if if wasn't too carb restricted.
Non training days I could drop to 100g, and still be on almost twice the carbs I'm on on UD2.0 low carb days.
Good God I want carbs!!!!

There's nothing particularly magical about it being isocaloric - you can make it that way, or not. The timing thing matters more to me for appetite control than anything else, although there may be partitioning advantages involved (which WON'T make me unhappy).

Drop overall calories by up to 20%. Just make sure you get in your protein and fat. If you prefer isocaloric for comfort (and it still lets you get in sufficient protein and fat), go for it.

Mad Max
03-01-2006, 04:15 AM
There's nothing particularly magical about it being isocaloric - you can make it that way, or not. The timing thing matters more to me for appetite control than anything else, although there may be partitioning advantages involved (which WON'T make me unhappy).

True it just seems more convenient. Yesterday I was going a bit mental from the lack of carbs, although I think I will switch to a diet pretty much identical to yours, thanks.

Eszekial
03-01-2006, 10:00 AM
I've been on this diet for about 3 months. I'm pretty new to cuts, and i've made some big mistakes, but so far i've dropped 5% bodyfat. I just started fit-daying my diet to really get serious, and i've dropped exactly 2 lbs in the last 2 weeks. I'm hoping to be under 10% body fat in the next 1-2 months. Rarely hungry (and Boy am i an eater), and it's not that hard to stay clean. This is a solid diet that works. I had 200 carbs yesterday. Higher then usual, but usually i hover around 100.