PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives for Protein shakes

intargc
02-28-2006, 04:15 PM
So, for some reason over the past month or so, my stomach has not been taking kindly to any type of protein shake. I've tried Opticen, ON Whey and Muscle Milk. All of them cause my stomach go crazy with acid production and make me feel sick for an hour or so. I'm going to eventually see a Gastro expert, but for now I'm just stopping the shakes.

I'm not getting this way on normal food and with my current diet, I'm consuming at least 1g per lb of body weight of protein just from food alone. I was really just using the protein as a post-workout shake.

Since it's believed that the 30 minute window after a workout should be used to consume a shake high in protein and carbs and then 2 hours after that have a solid meal, what can I do for my post-workout shake since my stomach isn't holding steady with concentrated protein powders?

mikey4402
02-28-2006, 04:21 PM
are you useing milk with it? maybe you have a lactose problem. you could try mixing with water or try soy milk. the whey might still give you some problems but it might help out if you dont use milk with.

Holto
02-28-2006, 05:29 PM
If it's that much of a problem just have the carbs.

Then eat a solid meal 45 mins later.

intargc
03-01-2006, 08:34 AM
are you useing milk with it? maybe you have a lactose problem. you could try mixing with water or try soy milk. the whey might still give you some problems but it might help out if you dont use milk with.

I am lactose intollerant, so I don't drink the milk with the shakes. MuscleMilk is Lactose free, so I drink it. However, I'm starting to consider I'm also a bit allergic to milk proteins as well since drinking a concentrated shake of whey and casein is cause my stomach to do tricks.

Anthony
03-01-2006, 08:37 AM
Steak and potatoes. Post workout nutrition is overrated. Just eat and train consistently. A perfect PWO meal won't make any difference in the long run.

Jorge Sanchez
03-01-2006, 08:44 AM
I agree. There was a solid 6month period that I ditched protein shakes alltogether, and I saw my best gains during that time. Just try to eat a big protein carb meal after your workout and you won`t be any worse off.