PDA

View Full Version : Recomposition: Genetic?

ShockBoxer
02-28-2006, 04:41 PM
My second cut is going exactly like my first. The scale isn't moving, I'm freaking out because I'm eating at a 20-30% deficit, and stealthily my body fat is boiling away and my muscles are getting bigger (I have lats now).

This time I'm paying closer attention to measurements, the mirror, and calipers though... so I'm catching it in the act.

Do you think there's such a thing as a genetic disposition towards recomposition?

Holto
02-28-2006, 05:27 PM
If your lifts are really going up I think you are ok.

How many cals are you on?
How long have you been training?

Davidelmo
02-28-2006, 05:29 PM
Probably.

I think a lot of things are affected by genetics. How fast someone gains or loses muscle/fat must be affected by genetics. I lose muscle really fast and gain it really slowly. But I also don't gain fat very easily either. My bulk hasn't been very clean at all, but my BF% has only risen a few % but I've gained over 30lbs.

I could definately believe that recomp is affected by genetics and the above factors.

Sounds like it's going well though. Same weight, less fat = :D

Mercuryblade
03-01-2006, 02:13 AM
How old are you? You could just be growing too. But regardless, same weight + fat loss = good stuff.

HILL
03-01-2006, 03:27 AM
I find a good way of checking is your close and the mirror. At the start of my cut i was recomping slighty for the first month or so if i remember rightly. Even if you are recomping your trousers should technically be getting looser so find some that were/are tight and see if they become loose

ShockBoxer
03-01-2006, 07:47 AM
I'm on 1800-2000 on a non-lift day, and 2000-2200 on a lift day. With the occassional cheat thrown in (I tend to cheat meals, not days... though a few days last week were terrible, but didn't do me any harm). I maintained all through the christmas season on 2400-2600 (hard to tell with christmas goodies) and I most assuradely failed to bulk on 3000.

I've been training just seven months (the first 5 of which I spent cutting) or so and coming down from being 200 pounds... so there's plenty of fat for my body to tap for energy. I'm always hungry but never feel weak going into a workout.

At this point I'm going to just keep my cals below 2400 on a regular basis, try not to cheat higher than 3k, lift heavy, get plenty of protein and fat, and let mother nature worry about the rest until every lift stalls.

It might explain why diets fails my family so very badly... they just don't stick it out for the two months needed to start seeing the scale move.

Jorge Sanchez
03-01-2006, 08:51 AM
I have to congratulate you Shockboxer. I'm always impressed with your progress. You seem to be a little too concerned with what the scale tells you but, from the perspective of a casual disinterested observer, you are making leaps and bounds.

I'm also glad that you've stuck it out. Every once in a while you will see a lardo come on here and get really gung-ho on the lifting. But then two weeks later they aren`t posting anymore. That's not necessarily to say that they stopped lifting, but I think that's probably the case. Anyways, I'm glad you've stuck with the diet, lifting and posting so we can follow your results. I'm rooting for you buddy.

WildCard
03-01-2006, 09:27 AM
good job on the weight loss. I think that one is in a recompositing stage if lifts are getting bigger but body weight remains the same.

ShockBoxer
03-01-2006, 10:37 AM
Thanks. 'Every day better' is the motto I try and live by now... and the fact that I've stuck with it has a lot to do with WBB. Motivation has always been what held me back. WBB changed that. There's enough stories floating around here to last a lifetime.

Holto
03-01-2006, 10:42 AM
When you cheat make sure you know exactly what you are eating that sounds like a pretty big factor.

ShockBoxer
03-01-2006, 10:53 AM
If it doesn't have a nutrition label or a website with nutritional information I try not to eat it. That said I usually assume fast food and restaurant websites in particular are lying and mentally tack on a few hundred extra calories when trying to work them into my weekly calculations.