PDA

View Full Version : Im 13 almost 14

Irish92
02-28-2006, 10:17 PM
Hey i have worked out in the past and i still do every once in awhile i am 5'11 138lb and i am going to start training hard now so tell me what you think of my build

nhlfan
02-28-2006, 10:22 PM
pics arent so great, but you definitely need some muscle mass. you are really very skinny. what kind of numbers can you put up right now, and what are your goals?

ArchAngel777
02-28-2006, 10:22 PM
Hey i have worked out in the past and i still do every once in awhile i am 5'11 138lb and i am going to start training hard now so tell me what you think of my build

Eminen? Is that you?

Not a bad build... Start lifting weights and eating more. You need to get some more muscle mass. You are still young and have plenty of time to grow into full maturity.

Gabrielle
02-28-2006, 10:31 PM
awesome build for your age..nuff said

Irish92
02-28-2006, 10:36 PM
yeah i dont really like that pic it makes me look a little skinnier than i actually am i have a well built 6 pck but you cant see much in that pic wow i didnt relize how bad the pics were go look at my profile for a better version of the first pic

Irish92
02-28-2006, 10:39 PM
i can bench 105 for 6 reps dead lift probably 150 or more and i have curled with one arm isolated up to 40lb

Fenrir
02-28-2006, 11:00 PM
nice to see u starting young, nice solid build for your age too...

HoTShoT_KiD
02-28-2006, 11:20 PM
For 13-14ish i would have to say that you have an excellent start. Get your diet in check and lift hard and you will be a beast in no time. Good luck :nod:

BayAreaLexo
03-01-2006, 12:07 AM
Agreed, great base. Bulk and youre going to be a total lady killer your junior year. I despise you for starting with such a build lol. I was 230(with about 21% bodyfat) when I was about 16.

Im 19 now at 180 with 10% BF but damn if I dont deserve it ;]

brickt.
03-01-2006, 02:52 AM
If you start now and be serious about it, you will be a goddamn monster by the time you're 20.

Now lift some weight and eat some burgers.

jkirkpatrick
03-01-2006, 07:37 AM
Be a kid and have fun. I wouldn't worry about trying to be anything but a kid until I was at least 16 years old (well, actually older but whatever).

Just my opinion.

DumbDude
03-01-2006, 08:03 AM
My friend started at your age... he is now 20 and big as hell. Read some workouts posted on this forum and do them it will pay off.

Bohizzle
03-01-2006, 10:01 AM
good starting point! eat lots, lift as consistently as u can, and just be a kid.

Andrew

TwiloMike
03-01-2006, 10:58 AM
Looking solid for your age. Like everyone said, keep eating, training, and get enough sleep. You've got some growing to do, still. Also, use punctuation marks when you post- your posts will be much more readable that way.

ElPietro
03-01-2006, 11:41 AM
Playing sports and chasing girls is plenty of exercise at your age.

Weight training is great as well though. At your age, you can prolly eat most anything with a racing metabolism. You'll start added tons of mass as test levels rise in a few years, when you hit 19 or 20 you'll have to curtail the feeding frenzy a bit though.

Great start!

HahnB
03-01-2006, 01:56 PM
Be a kid and have fun. I wouldn't worry about trying to be anything but a kid until I was at least 16 years old (well, actually older but whatever).

Just my opinion.

Worst advice IMO. Why wouldn't he want to have an awesome build when he's young?

Start bulking now and hit the compound movements hard and you'll be pleased.

jkirkpatrick
03-01-2006, 02:02 PM
^ there are many more things to life than lifting.

You're only young once.

rk77
03-01-2006, 02:07 PM
I agree with kirk. i miss the times when my physique wasnt an issue. I'm glad i got into lifting but I'm glad I wasnt serious about it at his age. I miss being able to eat/do whatever I wanted and not caring.

TECHO
03-01-2006, 03:09 PM

Just my opinion.

I partially agree, but for different reasons. I think going to the gym is a blast. It's a great time to hang out with friends (lifting partners), meet new people, and blow off some steam. It just -seems- that 13 would not be an ideal time to be lifting heavy because your body is going to be developing quite a bit even without the accompaniment of a heavy workout. I don't have any facts that back that up, it's just an intuitive observation. It also seems intuitive to want to lift heavy while your body is at a peak growth period post-puberty.. I dunno.

Of course, as I reread the post, you're not asking for advice xD Just asking what we think of your build.. and I think it's a great foundation. Eat, eat, EAT! Like... so many calories.. good ones.

HahnB
03-01-2006, 04:06 PM
^ there are many more things to life than lifting.

You're only young once.

Lifting takes 45 minutes a day, 3 days a week for his body and age. I think there's just a wee bit of time left over.

Irish92
03-01-2006, 04:10 PM
I am still a kid even if i lift wieghts. I want to lift wieghts to get the edge in strength because im a wrestler and I aslo like kickboxing I am very athletic too im one of the top kids in my school when it comes to being athletic. And plus wieghtlifting is something I want to do.

jkirkpatrick
03-01-2006, 04:53 PM
Lifting takes 45 minutes a day, 3 days a week for his body and age. I think there's just a wee bit of time left over.

Very true.

But it's debatable whether somebody his age should be lifting at all. Lifting for 45 minutes is not long at all, but more than enough time for a physically immature person to hurt themselves seriously if they are not using good form and for somebody who is may not be patient. How many posts do we see for young people asking to comment on results two months after training? Point in case.

We can debate about physical and emotional maturity to ad naseum, but I know that I grew two inches when I was 24 and there's no way that I would let my son lift until I was reasonably assured that he was done growing - which would not happen when he turned 13, that much is certain.

Maybe his parents don't want him to lift, in which case, we would be encouraging him defty authority, etc. This might seems like a reach, but I wouldn't want a bunch of strangers telling my son if he should listen to his dad. There's more perspectives to consider with somebody so young. If he was 18 (or whatever legal age is for his demographic), then fine. But he's not. He's 13 going on 14. In my opinion, that's pretty young yet.

All I'm saying is that we don't know enough facts to encourage him to lift heavy weights.

We do know enough information (re: his age) to recommend that he should have fun being a kid.

Worst advice IMO. Why wouldn't he want to have an awesome build when he's young?

Actually, I think it was good advice. Some things just are not worth the risk. There's ample time to develop as an adult. There's no justifiable reason to quicken this process (having an "awesome" build is not justified - not being obese or unhealthy would be justified).

Just my opinion.

BigRic
03-01-2006, 05:26 PM
Well I started lifting when I was 13, Heavy weight mind you, and I grew normally, I'm about 6'1 right now, and I started when I was maybe 5'2.

jkirkpatrick
03-01-2006, 05:46 PM
I grew 2 inches when I was 24 and have had rheumatoid arthritis for 18 years now.

We're all different.

ElPietro
03-01-2006, 06:36 PM
But it's debatable whether somebody his age should be lifting at all.

It's not debatable at all. It is a complete myth that lifting at an early age stunts growth. In fact it can promote reaching your genetic potential much more than not working out.

Just make sure it's not alone or with other adolescents only is the only valid argument I could see.

TECHO
03-02-2006, 11:27 AM
It's not debatable at all. It is a complete myth that lifting at an early age stunts growth. In fact it can promote reaching your genetic potential much more than not working out.

I've always heard via word-of-mouth and reading forums (I realize these are NOT reliable sources, but it's what I have to go with... ) that you shouldn't be lifting heavy at a young age, and as I stated before, it seems somewhat intuitive. Not because it stunts growth, but because in case of a devastating injury, you will not grow properly. That's the only reason I've heard. The rest just say, "You shouldn't lift when you're young," or w/e. I'm just curious if you could post some data/research results/etc to back the "It is a complete myth" statement and that lifting at a young age can promote reaching a genetic potential. Thanks ^___^

jkirkpatrick
03-02-2006, 12:00 PM
I'm actually going to check the University of Alberta's libraries for some info on this.

Just for my own good and I'll post it up in a new thread, probably in general health, this Sunday or Monday (or look up an older thread). No need to hijack Irish92's thread anymore. :thumbup:

Goodwinm
03-02-2006, 12:00 PM
Just dont go mad m8ey. Your bones still developing. But i wish u all the luck in the world dude.
I started resistance training at about 12 years old. Press ups, sit ups and training on 5kg (11lb) dumbells. hehe. and it all does pay off in the end if you stick to it.
But like a poster above said, dont be overly serious with it. because

1) You dont wanna really injure yourself and
2) You are a young lad and dont wanna overwork your body. But that doesnt mean be a pussy and work lightly lol. Get some meat down your neck and lift some heavy weights. By heavy I mean, train on 70-80% of your maximum lifts to become a big lad. Be the envy of all your school.!!

HahnB
03-02-2006, 03:46 PM
Not because it stunts growth, but because in case of a devastating injury, you will not grow properly.

Based on that logic kids his age shouldn't play football or wrestle at school, there's a far greater chance of injury doing those 2 things. How many people do you know that have had a "devastating injury" from lifting? We aren't talking about powerlifters here or pros moving a ton of weight, he will be fine.

TECHO
03-02-2006, 03:55 PM
Based on that logic kids his age shouldn't play football or wrestle at school, there's a far greater chance of injury doing those 2 things. How many people do you know that have had a "devastating injury" from lifting? We aren't talking about powerlifters here or pros moving a ton of weight, he will be fine.

I know, I know... I hopped on my skateboard between classes today and started thinking about my post.. thought to myself, wtf? I injured myself way more at that age skateboarding than I ever could lifting. So I retract my previous statements. :redface: