PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with natty PB

wmiller
01-14-2002, 07:06 AM
First off let me say that I LOVE peanut butter. I don't buy it often. I probably bought two jars in the past two years. Anyway, yesterday when I went to the grocery store I campared the nutritional value of natty pb to the traditional brands like Jif etc. The only difference I could see is that natty had about half the sodium. So, I bought some of the smuckers natty pb to give it a try, and let me say that stuff blows. :drooling:

So, whats the big deal? I can't really see why someone would eat that nasty stuff over regular pb, expecially if they are bulking.

syntekz
01-14-2002, 07:45 AM
What kind of natural peanut butter are you talking about? I've been to health food/nutrition shops and you actually make your own peanut butter at the store using peanuts. I think that might be what everyone is talking about. You wouldn't be getting all the preservatives this way.

wmiller
01-14-2002, 07:46 AM
So how do they make it then. Just throw a bunch of peanuts in a blender and wa la?

I was looking at smuckers natural pb

syntekz
01-14-2002, 07:48 AM
Basically, at least the time I've made it. You put the peanuts in the top, turned on the button, it made a bunch of noise and grinded it all up, and it came out the bottom looking like shxt.

wmiller
01-14-2002, 07:51 AM
it made a bunch of noise and grinded it all up, and it came out the bottom looking like shxt.

LOL. So when everyone on here says about eating natty pb, where do they get it? I checked at Weis and they dont have it. The only thing Walmart had was this crappy smuckers stuff.

syntekz
01-14-2002, 08:08 AM
Look in the phone book for nutrition shops/supermarkets.

MWB
01-14-2002, 09:18 AM
The difference between natural pb and Jiff is the type of fat. Jiff has hydrogenated oils added(I think that's what they are called) and are worse for you than saturated fats. Even though the nutrition label reads basically the same, there is a big difference between the two.

Tryska
01-14-2002, 09:19 AM
sugar too.

01-14-2002, 10:12 AM
you can find it at local markets along with probably almond butter, walnut butter, etc.

A big grocery store in town here actually sells natty PB so I'm pretty lucky. The ingredients are only Peanuts and I love the stuff.

IceRgrrl
01-14-2002, 10:17 AM
Like Tryska said, processed PB has a lot of sugar in it, and the fact that natty PB does not is probably what gave you that nasty shock.

Give it a chance though...if you get fresh natural PB, it tastes so much like peanuts that you might decide you like it. And it IS a better nutritional choice without all those hydrogenated oils and other stuff.

the doc
01-14-2002, 10:20 AM
whilst bulking i was eating 4 lb/ week

it is really really good!

wmiller
01-14-2002, 10:29 AM
whilst bulking i was eating 4 lb/ week

WOW:eek:

aeckhardt
01-14-2002, 10:34 AM
Watch out for those pb machines though. If stores don't clean them at least once a day or so, the pb comes out stale. That's a little known fact.

As far as natty pb. Try different brands. I actually like natty pb better than regular. When I tried regular again it just had no taste.

I also find that I can get away with eating like 2 Tbl spoons even when cutting becuase I love the stuff. I'd eat it all day if it didn't have any carbs.

Also, try warming it up if it is real thick after mixing. This def. adds to the flavor.

breeze
01-14-2002, 10:58 AM
What are you guys talking about. When I was growing up my father made peanut butter every week, it was my favorite thing to eat, and as far as my memory serves me it tasted like any other peanut butter. If you say that the natty peanut butter had a bad taste, it could be the peanuts that were used were unroasted/raw. If you ever taste an unroasted peanut you would gag.

One more thing the low salt in natty peanut butter might not be to your taste if you usually consume a high sodium diet.

gymtime
01-14-2002, 12:52 PM
I'm not a big pb fan, but I always thought that the national brands (Jif, Skippy, etc..) also added a lot of sugar. Anyone know?

syntekz
01-14-2002, 01:06 PM
Yes, they do.

ElPietro
01-14-2002, 01:35 PM
The only difference I've seen mainly is hydrogenated oils...which are used so the natural oils don't separate from the peanuts...this can be solved by mixing your pb before using it.

I found mine at a bulk food store...

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-14-2002, 02:54 PM
never heard that Pietro, about the oils separating. The main reason hydrogenated oil is used is to lengthen the shelf life. Intesterest point though, not that it works, since the top layer of the PB is always really oily anyway...

MWB
01-14-2002, 03:02 PM
If it's the sweetness you miss you can always add in a little splenda when you mix the fats back in.

the doc
01-14-2002, 03:29 PM
hydrogenated oil is more of a waxy solid, thus it doesn't separarate wh like peanut oil which is a liquid ;)

heathj
01-14-2002, 03:53 PM
Adam's Natural PB.