PDA

View Full Version : recommending a diet for a underweight GF of mine

xstalkrx
03-02-2006, 06:53 PM
so i have this gf who is at ideal weight..if not a little under weight. she just wants to lose some of her belly fat.

so she is supposed to eat less cals and fat and carbs? but if you do this then wouldnt you just get skinnier in general? how can you cut out the belly fat without losing weight while gaining lean muscle?

mikey4402
03-02-2006, 06:59 PM
you kindda answered your own question..you can not spot reduce

Jorge Sanchez
03-02-2006, 07:09 PM
Why would she want to lose weight if she is underweight?

Built
03-02-2006, 07:10 PM
Tell her to stay at maintenance cals and lift heavy and short. Heavy compounds - squats, deads, chins ...

brickt.
03-02-2006, 07:31 PM
so i have this gf who is at ideal weight..if not a little under weight. she just wants to lose some of her belly fat.

Careful here, buddy. It sounds like your girlfriend may be harbouring a self-image issue, which, could lead to an eating disorder later down the path. If she is at ideal weight, possibly underweight, there is NO reason for her to lose any weight at all.

Like Built said, encourage her to eat a sensible, healthy diet with adequate calories (maintenance calories) and get her to start learning how to squat and deadlift.

Built
03-02-2006, 07:34 PM
She'll enjoy some newbie muscle gains and strip some fat off her body if she does this. tell her if she drops cals and increases cardio, she'll strip muscle off instead.

Davidelmo
03-04-2006, 07:34 PM
Hey,
My g/f started lifting about a month ago.

She's chinese origin, is about 5ft 3 and weighs 100lbs. She had pretty much no muscle on her and her stomach is not really flat. She's not skinny and bony though - her frame is absolutely tiny. Her wrist is as thick as two of my fingers.

I started her off doing deadlifts, squats, shoulder presses etc and her strength has improved amaingly fast. She used to struggle to carry 5kg and she can deadlift around 35kg now. And that's only after a month.

The other thing I did was to try and control her eating better. She doesn't eat less or more in quantity, but I've tried to get her to cut down on sugary stuff. She used to live on cakes, biscuits, chocolate etc and only eat 1-2 times a day. That's why she's so slim but still has stomach fat.

Steadily I've been seeing her body fat drop and her weight is staying the same so she's obviously putting on some muscle too, which is great news.

eatit
03-05-2006, 12:41 PM
david: a suggestion from someone who's been in the same situation as you. Make sure that the changes in diet and exercise are an internal drive on her part and not an external pressure on yours.

Nothing means burnout faster than a nagging boyfriend combined with a craving for cheese cake.

on a sidenote: man, i wish i had a girlfriend who was into working out (in the proper non-five pound dumbell kickback sense of the word)

The Great
03-05-2006, 10:53 PM
I am going to go with them, if you are under weight and worried about losing weight that usually is a sign of self image issues. Personally I would try to get her to keep on the weight. I like to be lean but I like my girls with a little bit of meat to em.

Built
03-05-2006, 11:20 PM
I like to be lean but I like my girls with a little bit of meat to em.

We just FEEL better, don't we?

BayAreaLexo
03-06-2006, 04:29 PM
In answer to Built: Yes! But if mine had as much muscle as me and was more cut than me I'd be scared! lol -- serious

I still cower at the sight of Chyna; ugh

As to the threadstarter: Birth Control. lol nothing like Depo Vera to help her fill in certain areas!
(on a serious note, the goddess that posted above me could seriously help her develop a regimen, again, as long as it IS her will and not tu's)

Built
03-06-2006, 05:12 PM
In answer to Built: Yes! But if mine had as much muscle as me and was more cut than me I'd be scared! lol -- serious

I still cower at the sight of Chyna; ugh

Well, that's the power of AAS. The stuff works!

As to the threadstarter: Birth Control. lol nothing like Depo Vera to help her fill in certain areas!
Depo - ugh!

(on a serious note, the goddess that posted above me could seriously help her develop a regimen, again, as long as it IS her will and not tu's)

:kiss: