PDA

View Full Version : Feel sick after workout. Help!

Nayr747
03-04-2006, 08:08 PM
During/after I workout I feel very sick. Yesterday I got back from doing legs and had to lay down on the couch and try not to puke. My face was really white too. This made me quit working out a couple years ago, but I've recently tried to start again. I have been taking it easy for the first month or two to get form down again and get ready for heavier weights. Last night I upped it a little on the leg press machine and did a heavier weight for around 10-12 reps (could have done a couple more). I gave at least a min. or two between sets and switched off one set on the press, then to hams, then to calves, then to press, etc.

I'm thinking it may have someting to do with nutrition because I'm a vegetarian, but I wasn't when I got sick a couple years ago. About a half hour before the workout I ate pasta, an apple, two big pieces of grain bread with butter, soy milk, and creatine with grape juice. I'm really starting to wonder if it is the creatine. Is that possible? I only take ~2.5 g per day because I don't get any from meat (other than the whey), and I've just started taking it in the past couple days. I also got a HORRIBLE headache while I was working out. And after I usually drink a protein shake with banana, soy milk, and ice. I also take a multivitamin every so often (I'm very forgetful).

I'm going to see a nutritionist again, but they haven't been very helpful in the past. They do the bloodwork, it comes back 100% good, and I'm left with no answers. Does anyone know what could be wrong? Thanks.:hello:

Built
03-04-2006, 08:15 PM
Too much heavy food too soon before lifting - your stomach would have been competing for blood with your muscles.

The creatine is fine - I'd even up it to 5g. I take 5g daily, and I'm not even a veggie.

What time of the day do you train?

Nayr747
03-05-2006, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the help. I'll give that a try and report if it works. I almost always go at around 9 pm.

Optimum08
03-05-2006, 08:59 PM
Too much heavy food too soon before lifting - your stomach would have been competing for blood with your muscles.

The creatine is fine - I'd even up it to 5g. I take 5g daily, and I'm not even a veggie.

What time of the day do you train?

word^

ddegroff
03-06-2006, 10:29 AM
About a half hour before the workout I ate pasta, an apple, two big pieces of grain bread with butter, soy milk, and creatine with grape juice.

theres the problem right there. This meal should be atleast 2hrs before workouts.

creatine wouldn't make you sick.

Nayr747
03-07-2006, 07:33 PM
Two hours? I tend to get shaky and not feel good if I haven't eaten in awhile. I've seen some lifters eat pasta during their workouts. What's the deal with that?

Most of the time when I'm lifting it seems like I have the strength to do more reps but there's just no energy left. I get shaky too, especially when doing like dumbell shoulder presses, even when I've eaten recently.

Buzzsaw
03-07-2006, 08:32 PM
I used to get that same feeling occasionally. You get ghost white, go into a cold sweat and you either puke up your food or dry heave, right?

Never found out exactly what caused it, but I made some changes and here's what worked for me: A LOT more water before and during your workout. At least 24 ounces 30-60 minutes before workout, and 32oz while you're lifting. I also stopped eating anything other than oatmeal before my workout. And absolutely no caffeine - no redbulls, coffee, etc. Also make sure you're taking lots of deep breaths during and after each set - your body needs that oxygen.

Good luck bro and don't give up.

ddegroff
03-07-2006, 11:35 PM
Two hours? I tend to get shaky and not feel good if I haven't eaten in awhile. I've seen some lifters eat pasta during their workouts. What's the deal with that?

Most of the time when I'm lifting it seems like I have the strength to do more reps but there's just no energy left. I get shaky too, especially when doing like dumbell shoulder presses, even when I've eaten recently.

A meal of that size shouldn't be eatin that close to workout. I take whey and honey right before my workout. I wasnt saying don't eat just don't eat a bunch of pasta.

I don't know if you have ever seen anybody shoving pasta down the hatch in the gym. If your running out of energy mid workout I would look into supplementing with Creatine.

Nosaj
06-29-2006, 09:23 AM
Eat a big meal (I'd say at least 750 up to 1500 calories) about 1-2 hours before working out, and sip on whey+water during your workout (I use 2 scoops which is 48g protein), then your post workout meal right as you finish working out. Ever since I started doing that I feel like a million bucks.