PDA

View Full Version : ZMA, and Calcium cancel each other out?

bigleaguechu
03-04-2006, 08:59 PM
I have searched and didn't find anything regarding this subject.

I was informed that Calcium pretty much cancels the effects of Zinc, or does not allow zinc to be absorbed when taken at the same time. Before I go to sleep I usually take ZMA and a protein shake(HDT problend 55 with 1% milk) or I eat 2 servings of 1% cottage cheese. I would like to take both but don't want to waste my money if only one works at a time. This is more of an issue before I go to sleep, as ZMA is recommended to be taken before bed-time. How much of this is true? And if so what should I do?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
03-05-2006, 12:42 AM
No, calcium doesn't cancel the effects of zinc. Those are both natural minerals you get in food. It would defy nature for one of those to cancel the other one out.

bigleaguechu
03-05-2006, 07:31 AM
No, calcium doesn't cancel the effects of zinc. Those are both natural minerals you get in food. It would defy nature for one of those to cancel the other one out.

ok I don't mean it cancels each other out, but more calcium taken with magnesium has a higher bv value, same with zinc taken with magnesium. However when taking calcium with zinc they both fight for space, they don't process well together so I'm told. And my dilemma is before I go to sleep I like to eat cottage cheese, or have a PM shake with milk, and take ZMA. Being that the calcium in the cottage cheese or calcium in the shake would probably interfere with the ZMA what should I do? Should I stagger the time taken?
The ZMA is recommended 1-2 hours before sleep, should I take that 2-3 hour before I sleep and then drink the shake or cottage cheese right before I sleep?
Is that the best way to go? or the whole thing with Calcium and Zonc is a myth?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
03-05-2006, 02:46 PM
Who told you that? There's no reason it would interfere.

bigleaguechu
03-05-2006, 05:43 PM
Who told you that? There's no reason it would interfere.
haha, my mom told me that, shes a little old chinese lady that reads nothing but nutriion books, but if they shouldn't interfere then its all good here.

goodness683
03-05-2006, 05:56 PM
i read a bodybuilding.com article about that. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/cattest.htm
go down to the part about ZMA.

bigleaguechu
03-05-2006, 06:03 PM
i read a bodybuilding.com article about that. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/cattest.htm
go down to the part about ZMA.

so according to that article my mom is right in that calcuim and zinc do not get absorbed when both are taken at the same time. So what should I do in this situation? does anyone know how long I should wait to take one o the other since I shouldn't take both at the same time?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
03-05-2006, 06:07 PM
I've never heard that before. I'm still a little iffy on that.

goodness683
03-05-2006, 06:31 PM
in another article i remember reading that after taking zma, waiting twenty minutes is enough for the body to take in the components of ZMA. as far as beforehand, try to take it on an empty stomach, ie 2ish hours after last meal.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
03-05-2006, 06:55 PM
The body works in strange ways. For instance...spinach is full or iron, but it also contains iron-blockers, so vitamin C is needed with the spinach in order to absorb the iron.

Eszekial
03-06-2006, 10:25 AM
My bottle of ZMASSpm, actually says, "Do not take with calcium or a calcium supplement."

superhombre2k
03-06-2006, 11:37 AM
I thought it was casein that messed with ZMA, so you're supposed to seperate taking them by about a half hour to keep them seperate through the digestive system. Casein is a dairy protein and calcium is in dairy... hmm. Either or!

Paul Stagg
03-06-2006, 04:28 PM
I would try to get information from a more reliable source. That website will publish pretty much anything.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
03-06-2006, 05:36 PM
I would try to get information from a more reliable source. That website will publish pretty much anything.Agreed. A better site to read would be nice. :study: