PDA

View Full Version : When to do oly lifts

def_con_3
03-06-2006, 04:15 PM
How are olympic lifts integrated into a workout? Should you just add them in the beginning of a workout, have a separate day, or have an entire separate training program? I want to integrate oly lifts for the explosiveness and speed, but also want the general physique of a full body workout.

Unfortunately, with the beginning of spring track, I won't have as much time to lift anymore - only about 30 mins in the school weight room 3 times week, and that is before practice too. Would it be a good idea to do these right before practice? (i did heavy leg work before a practice once...worst practice ever)

drew
03-06-2006, 04:22 PM
What are your goals?

ArchAngel777
03-06-2006, 04:38 PM
How are olympic lifts integrated into a workout? Should you just add them in the beginning of a workout, have a separate day, or have an entire separate training program? I want to integrate oly lifts for the explosiveness and speed, but also want the general physique of a full body workout.

Unfortunately, with the beginning of spring track, I won't have as much time to lift anymore - only about 30 mins in the school weight room 3 times week, and that is before practice too. Would it be a good idea to do these right before practice? (i did heavy leg work before a practice once...worst practice ever)

1) I would clear this with your coach.

2) You don't want to exhaust yourself before track. If you do any weightlifting at all, I recomend not going until exhaustion and making sure you do low volume.

3) Check with your coach :D Track coaches are going to know a lot more than we will here on this board, for the most part.

Sensei
03-06-2006, 05:48 PM
What events do you compete in?

It would be a very, very bad idea to lift before practice. You're just inviting technique deterioration and injury. Do whatever you can to have a separate workout time - look into doing it in the A.M. or following practice, or maybe on weekends while you're in-season.

As far as incorporating the OLs into your current routine, we'd have to see your current routine before giving any kind of advice.

def_con_3
03-06-2006, 05:56 PM
My goals are to increase explosion (when sprinting) and to increase my vertical jump.

Although most track teams do regular weight training (around two times a week), however our weight training consists of going to the weight room at the end of practice two times the whole season. We occasionally have some unweighted plyometric work for hurdlers and jumper on a non-regular basis, but that's about it.

As you can see, not a lot of emphasis was put on weight training (hopefully that'll change this year). That's why I am looking towards olympic lifts to supplement my "normal" workout, I've read that it greatly helps build intensity.

And with all due respect to my coaches, I think there are some people on this forum who are much more knowledgeable in the field of weight training than they are, simply because many of my coaches were long distance runners for which weight training is less crucial than for sprinters.

khari
03-06-2006, 06:07 PM
Are you comfortable with the technique of the power clean and snatch? Or even with clean and snatch pulls?

def_con_3
03-06-2006, 06:08 PM
Mostly sprinting - 100m, 200m, 400m, hurdles (110 and 400), and I'm hoping to start jumping this year.

I've changed my workout around a bit lately but basically it's a 3-day split of:
Mon: Chest/Back (bench press, dips, pull ups, bent over rows, etc)
Wed: Legs (squat, sldl, calves, lunges, etc.)
Fri: Shoulders/Triceps/Biceps (military press, lateral raises, cgbp, skullcrushers, incline curls etc.)

def_con_3
03-06-2006, 06:18 PM
Are you comfortable with the technique of the power clean and snatch? Or even with clean and snatch pulls?

No, this is my first time trying oly lifts. I plan on starting light just to get the form and gradually working my way up.

Bohizzle
03-06-2006, 06:40 PM
No, this is my first time trying oly lifts. I plan on starting light just to get the form and gradually working my way up.
really concentrate on getting ur form down, look at videos around the net of proper OLY lifts and try to emulate that... once improper form becomes habit, it is very hard to break that habit and turn proper form into new habit. trust me, i know :(

Andrew

drew
03-06-2006, 07:43 PM
If your goals are to get faster and increase VJ, I would do box squats and plyo jumps. If you don't have a coach that can teach the OLY lifts, then don't do them.

I lik ecleans and snatches for "explosiveness" however, they're not that great because you can't really move a whooe lot of weight with them (unless you're an OLY weightlifter and your goal is to move a whole lot of weight with them)