PDA

View Full Version : Built's Diet - How Often Should I lift and other ?'s

Eszekial
03-06-2006, 06:02 PM
K, been using Built's diet to much success. But, I have some questions!!!

1) How often should I be lifting? Is 2 times a day, 30 minutes a go, 5 days a week, too mutch?
2) What set / rep rang is ideal?
3) Should I be doing Cardio? I'm doing none now. If so - How much/when?
4) Since i'm on a cut, should I be doing exercises I never did before? For example, I did squats for the first time this morning. Just started doing Chin ups/pull - ups... What's the benefit if i don't gain muscle?

Thank you for your advice!

KingWilder
03-06-2006, 06:18 PM
1)why are you lifting twice a day? 30 mins. 5 days a week should be plenty
2)i like heavy weights with lower reps for a cut (5x5)
3)don't do cardio unless your diet doesn't get you the results you want
4)squats are important no matter what you're doing (cutting, maintaining, bulking...as well as deadlifts) chins ups and pull ups are the best exercises to build your back...when you can do 10-15 in a row start adding weight

Built
03-06-2006, 06:18 PM
K, been using Built's diet to much success. But, I have some questions!!!

1) How often should I be lifting? Is 2 times a day, 30 minutes a go, 5 days a week, too mutch?
I did 4 days a week, an hour at a time on my last cut.

I will be exploring this more for my upcoming cut, but what I did was to simply drop the set lengths as my cut progressed - I tried as hard as possible to keep the weight on the bar. Most of my sets were probably in the 5-8 rep range, some as low as 3-rep sets (for deads, squats)

You don't need to - but 12 minutes of fast incline walking after you lift wouldn't be a bad idea to burn off FFAs mobilized from the lifting. I did a 20-minute fasted walk in the morning most mornings, too. I may reconsider this strategy for my next cut, but it worked well and it wasn't too taxing.

HIIT once or twice a week is also an option. I did 8 minutes of alternating 30-second sprints and walks tucked into 20 minute postworkout cardio sessions after upper body days toward the end of my last cut. I'd just walk for a few minutes, then do the 8 minutes of intervals, then walk for the remainder of the 20 minutes.

Any other cardio (ie recreational bike rides) I'd feed to ensure it was simply active recovery, not an additional caloric deficit.

4) Since i'm on a cut, should I be doing exercises I never did before? For example, I did squats for the first time this morning. Just started doing Chin ups/pull - ups... What's the benefit if i don't gain muscle?
Thank you for your advice!

The point of doing heavy lifting during a cut is to convince your body that, in spite of the "famine", you really need that pesky muscle. So it drops fat instead.

Paul Stagg
03-06-2006, 06:20 PM
** Maybe.
** Depends.
** I would do 2-4 sessions of 20-45 minutes every week. But not for weight loss.
** I don't understand your question. Lift like you do to get big.

Eszekial
03-06-2006, 06:58 PM
Thank you all for the splendid answers!