PDA

View Full Version : Macro's for Chicken

baja_stx
03-06-2006, 09:52 PM
Could someone please give me the FitDay information for boneless/skinless chicken breast. Approx 1/2lb breast.

Shao-LiN
03-06-2006, 11:38 PM
There a reason you can't log in and do it yourself?

Davidelmo
03-07-2006, 04:12 AM
Fitday annoys me like that.

Type in "Chicken breast" and you get a ton of results which don't really answer the obvious question. I would think the obvious first choice would be a boneless, skinless breast. Enter the weight as uncooked.

It's annoying when you get 10 pages of almost identical results.

I also hate it when it logs you out for not using it in a while.

Davidelmo
03-07-2006, 04:15 AM
I'm going to use calorieking from now on.

Much better categorisation, search from brand name foods etc.

Brilliant!

ShockBoxer
03-07-2006, 06:14 AM
Yeah, brilliant and not always anywhere near accurate or complete. Calorieking is better than nothing but I've caught it in the past disagreeing with the nutritional information on a cereal box. Who do you believe in that case?

Ultimately, it's all estimating and calorieking is a little more user friendly towards searching than Fitday so whichever you prefer will probably be fine.

SilverYello
03-07-2006, 10:41 AM
I'm going to use calorieking from now on.

Much better categorisation, search from brand name foods etc.

Brilliant!

Is calorieking free? By the looks of it, it cost money?

baja_stx
03-07-2006, 10:41 AM
There a reason you can't log in and do it yourself?

Yeah because I'm lazy... is that the answer you wanted? The real reason is because just as Davidelmo said, when you type in "Chicken Breast" you get 4 pages of chicken and none of them match what you're looking for. Why can't it just simply say "Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breast w/o Breading"?

I just figured that since probably everyone here eats chicken breast and a lot of people here use FitDay that someone may have figured it out already.

Davidelmo
03-07-2006, 11:12 AM
Yeah, brilliant and not always anywhere near accurate or complete. Calorieking is better than nothing but I've caught it in the past disagreeing with the nutritional information on a cereal box. Who do you believe in that case?

Ultimately, it's all estimating and calorieking is a little more user friendly towards searching than Fitday so whichever you prefer will probably be fine.

Hmm, I looked up a couple things and it's pretty accurate. I enter most things as custom foods anyway but things like my meat from the butchers doesn't come with a macro breakdown.

I'm also on a bulk so 50kcal inaccuracies here and there isn't a huge issue really.

Nothing will ever be perfect unfortunately :(

And yes it does cost but you can search for free.

ShockBoxer
03-07-2006, 11:37 AM
It's definitely a good resource.. I use it for ballparking restaurant food.

The thing with Fitday is that usually you don't need to run a search for a common food (like chicken breast). You just go to foods, poultry, find chicken breast, click on the appropriate link under the chicken breast heading, and then choose serving size. Fitday's search engine isn't so hot.

baja_stx
03-07-2006, 12:24 PM
The thing with Fitday is that usually you don't need to run a search for a common food (like chicken breast). You just go to foods, poultry, find chicken breast, click on the appropriate link under the chicken breast heading, and then choose serving size. Fitday's search engine isn't so hot.

Thanks I'll give that a try. I'm new to FitDay and have found myself just entering everything I eat under a new custom food.

Thanks again.

ShockBoxer
03-07-2006, 02:02 PM
I'd say 80% of what you eat WILL end up under custom. Whenever possible use a nutrition label as a custom entry... but fitday does have a lot of the 'common' things like milk, chicken, steak of all kinds, etc.

MJS
03-07-2006, 04:55 PM
This thread could have been summarized with one answer...

Chicken, breast, with or without bone, broiled, skin not eaten
Cals - 367 Fat - 8g Carbs - 0g Protein - 69g

That is for an 8oz piece (1/2 pound). If you want other weights just do the math.

Built
03-07-2006, 05:04 PM
USDA nutrient database http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

I use it to program in stuff like this.

Built
03-07-2006, 05:10 PM
For raw, boneless skinless chicken breast, according to USDA nutrient database:

8 ounces (226.8g) contains:
249 calories
52.4g protein
2.8g fat

Stumprrp
03-07-2006, 05:41 PM
www.calorie-count.com is a great site.

Davidelmo
03-07-2006, 05:54 PM
huge discrepancy there between built and ironmans answers.

118kcal and 17g of protein difference.

ShockBoxer
03-07-2006, 06:08 PM
Yes, there is. That's my point exactly. It would be great if someone would stand up and say 'This is so' and lay out a master table of every food on earth's exact scientifically tested macro ratings.... especially with obesity on the rise.

They won't, though, so you just have to do your best and track results...

Built
03-07-2006, 06:14 PM
Ironman's is for cooked, mine is for raw

Davidelmo
03-07-2006, 06:22 PM
Gotcha.

gator
03-07-2006, 06:41 PM
You also have to take into account the fat, the stuff I buy is fat free or 99% fat free.

teenathlete3030
03-07-2006, 08:24 PM
My parents picked up a pack of frozen pre-cooked chicken breast. I'm not sure what they did to suck the nutrients out of it other than add 200 ingredients. One patty has only 14g of protein.

baja_stx
03-07-2006, 08:36 PM
My parents picked up a pack of frozen pre-cooked chicken breast. I'm not sure what they did to suck the nutrients out of it other than add 200 ingredients. One patty has only 14g of protein.

I think one chicken McNugget from McDonalds has more protein than that... ok maybe not, but 14g is pretty low. What brand are these things and how big are they?

f=ma
03-07-2006, 08:44 PM
if you use the browse instead of search on fitday, generic foods are easier to find

brickt.
03-07-2006, 08:48 PM
Use Built's link as it's awesome.

However, www.nutritiondata.com is the same thing, only prettier, with charts and graphs and stuff.

Davidelmo
03-08-2006, 03:18 AM

Go to the butchers and buy some real meat.

I bet it has "water added for succulence." They'd never say "water added so it weighs more so we make more money."

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
03-08-2006, 03:30 AM
Use Built's link as it's awesome.

However, www.nutritiondata.com is the same thing, only prettier, with charts and graphs and stuff.Wow...that site is quite awesome. Thanks. ;)