PDA

View Full Version : what to look for in a weight gainer??

sexy2002svt
03-07-2006, 03:09 PM
Exactly what the tittle says. I was shopping around for weight gainers and i found out that i didn't know what i was looking for. I.e what makes a good weight gainer and what makes a bad one?

I know the target calories per day that i am supposed to hit, but i'm pretty sure i should be looking at more than just calories in a weight gainer. Since i am trying to gain weight, should i even be bothering with looking at the fat and saturated fat too? Or should i just go with whichever one gives me the best calories to $ ratio? What should i be staying away from?

As usual, any help is greatly appreciated.

Jordanbcool
03-07-2006, 03:16 PM
Exactly what the tittle says. I was shopping around for weight gainers and i found out that i didn't know what i was looking for. I.e what makes a good weight gainer and what makes a bad one?

I know the target calories per day that i am supposed to hit, but i'm pretty sure i should be looking at more than just calories in a weight gainer. Since i am trying to gain weight, should i even be bothering with looking at the fat and saturated fat too? Or should i just go with whichever one gives me the best calories to $ ratio? What should i be staying away from?

As usual, any help is greatly appreciated.

1:4 ratio of protein to carbs (i wouldnt recommend this though)
1:2 ratio of protein to carbs is what i would recommend because the average person does not easily stay lean.

Dont get a weight gainer with more then 10g of fat and make sure that less then 50% of the carbs come to sugar.

Other then that most weight gainers are the same. High protein, high carbs, moderate fat, high calorie supplements designed to pack on the (good) pounds. The one im on is working great. 12 pounds in 5 weeks, and i can tell by looking in the mirror that i've gained very little fat.

-jordan

BTW the 10g of fat is from each serving.......not the entire tub lol.......that would be impossible.

Davidelmo
03-07-2006, 03:26 PM
I used several tubs of weight gainer and then realised it's pointless. For the price you pay it's just not worth it.

I buy whey seperately to add to shakes. My weight gainer shake is peanut butter, oats, milk, whey and olive oil. Packs almost 1000kcal and doesn't have a ****load of sugar in it.