PDA

View Full Version : How to maintain focus / good diets???

ccarrigan
03-08-2006, 06:13 PM
I think I have a very low tolerance for eating healthy all the time. I try SO hard. I do things like take pictures of myself for motivation, try to eat only at places with healthy good, etc... I just can never do it for more than a month. Even the gains after a month don't help and I got back to where I was.

Anyone with any ideas? I'd REALLY appreciate it!

getfit
03-08-2006, 06:17 PM
what's in your fridge?anything you have that's junk bin it.Fill it up with healthy foods

ccarrigan
03-08-2006, 06:20 PM
Dp

getfit
03-08-2006, 06:21 PM
i deleted the first post so post it up again

getfit
03-08-2006, 06:24 PM
when you're shopping and have the urge for junk just tell yourself this is gonna kill me one day!( well not that bad) but it could be a good start

brickt.
03-08-2006, 06:28 PM
I think I have a very low tolerance for eating healthy all the time. I try SO hard. I do things like take pictures of myself for motivation, try to eat only at places with healthy good, etc... I just can never do it for more than a month. Even the gains after a month don't help and I got back to where I was.

This may sound blunt, but I think you just have to stop being a sissy and suck it up. We all are in the same position and most of us choose the chicken and vegies over the peking fried duck, it's a sacrifice we all make.

That being said, if you really can't go 100% clean, and that is ok, I can't blame you for that, organise a meal a week or so of whatever the **** you want, then go back to clean food.

Sidior
03-08-2006, 06:44 PM
This may sound blunt, but I think you just have to stop being a sissy and suck it up. We all are in the same position and most of us choose the chicken and vegies over the peking fried duck
:withstupi
you are what you eat, the more dedication you have, the bigger and stronger you get....

ccarrigan
03-08-2006, 07:41 PM
So I take it that nobody is in the line of thinking that some people have a more difficult time with food choice than others? Is it all as simple as dedication and not being a "sissy"?

Or is it possible that there is an underlying unintentional aspect of a person that might cause them to do this and because of this these people might need more assistance?

SilverYello
03-08-2006, 07:55 PM
Is it all as simple as dedication and not being a "sissy"?

Yes. I have been lazy as hell. Eatin what ever I wanted. When you look reality in the face you'll get motivated. I live by this --> "You only live once"

When you think you have nothing left to give, keep on pushing.

eatit
03-08-2006, 08:17 PM
So I take it that nobody is in the line of thinking that some people have a more difficult time with food choice than others? Is it all as simple as dedication and not being a "sissy"?

Or is it possible that there is an underlying unintentional aspect of a person that might cause them to do this and because of this these people might need more assistance?

let's say this was case. Let's say that there was a reason other than lack of will that you can't adhere to a diet. What then?

this lifestyle isn't for everybody. Not all of have what it takes to go through grueling work outs and sit there eating a bare bones chicken breast and brown rice meal while our friends are stuffing their faces. If the food is worth more than the results to you then maybe you should just come to terms with it.

gator
03-08-2006, 09:01 PM
I think you just have to have dedication, simple as that. When I go grocery shopping with friends up here at college, they are buying things like cookies, sweets, you name it, thats the toughest spot for me. I just tell myself that eating those things only makes you feel good for like 2 minutes, then you end up feeling guilty for hours, its just not worth it. I think you have to "cheat" once and a while. My cheat meal is always pop tarts, I loooove them. If I'm bulking and I play some basketball or football right after it's a nice little cheat to make up for lost calories.

brickt.
03-08-2006, 09:30 PM

The first time I had eggwhites and oatmeal, I almost threw up. Nowdays, I eat it 3 x a day, and think it's the best thing since oreos and milk. Your bodys taste buds will Adapt to the food, you just gotta be consistant.

Also, you can still make gains of less than optimal food. Oats with some honey or sugar on top is better than cocopops. T-Bone steak is better than deep fried chicken wings. So, go ahead, put some mayo on your tuna sandwhich, just don't kid yourself and believe you're eating 'clean.'

Optimum08
03-08-2006, 10:16 PM
Just think about what you can look like, emphasize your goals, think of it as a skewed "the ends justify the means"

Jordanbcool
03-08-2006, 10:22 PM

Make the "good" food taste good. Condiments are a bodybuilders best friend. Chicken for example can be topped off with pretty much anything (ranch dressing, BBQ sauce etc.). Use things you like and add them to your healthy diet. I know your not revolted at good food you are just so used to eating crap all the time. Just ease into it and you'll be fine. Like brickt said you develop a liking for it after a while. Also INCLUDE A CHEAT DAY even if you on a cut. It helps alot.

-jordan

Stupendous
03-08-2006, 10:30 PM
Uh, your food doesn't have to be bland. Learn to cook! I make lots of yummy stuff.

Salmon in a basil cream sauce - sauce made from a little white wine and fat free yogurt
Kung pao chicken or shrimp - made from peanut oil, peanuts, water chestnuts, green peppers, onions, red chiles (more the better I say :) ) and chicken or shimp marinated in white wine, fresh garlic and ginger

ddegroff
03-09-2006, 11:00 AM
I think it takes will power to change. Do you want to change? do you want to get stronger? do you want to get bigger? then you need to take those steps to get there. start out with eating healthy for 3 days, then work up to 4 days, then 5 and so on.

I have girl scout cookies (Samoas) sitting on my counter, my girlfriend bought them for me (or so she tells me, there more for her to eat because i have no sweets what so ever). That box is going to sit there laughing at me till my cheat day on sunday. Until then i'm gonna stick with my egg whites, oats, and chicken breast.

McIrish
03-09-2006, 11:46 AM
Make the "good" food taste good. Condiments are a bodybuilders best friend. Chicken for example can be topped off with pretty much anything (ranch dressing, BBQ sauce etc.). Use things you like and add them to your healthy diet. I know your not revolted at good food you are just so used to eating crap all the time. Just ease into it and you'll be fine. Like brickt said you develop a liking for it after a while. Also INCLUDE A CHEAT DAY even if you on a cut. It helps alot.

-jordan

I gotta agree 100% with Jordan on this one - there's no excuse to say "wahhh, it's so hard to eat tasty food and be health conscious." First, to my knowledge, hot sauce/mustard has literally no calories whatsoever, so there's no excuse to be eating plain chicken breasts if you'd rather have a little flavor. The same goes for tuna, etc. Heck, squeeze a lime on your plain rice next time and shred some cilantro - voila, a tastier alternative to a healthy meal. Make salmon with a mustard glaze. Marinate your chicken in low-fat Italian dressing, then grill it (that's a personal favorite of mine). Go buy a clove of garlic and cook it in whatever you're eating (stews, marinades, glazes, cookies, pastries... they all taste better with a little garlic). Get whey protein powder and make shakes with bananas and peanut butter - I couldn't even imagine going back to a milkshake now, these taste so freaking good. There are a bagillion and one different recipes that weighlifters eat that involve more than "plain oatmeal and egg whites" (kudos to those of you who routinely stomach this, I just prefer a little variety). The bottom line is it is not only possible, but VERY viable, to eat a healthy meal that is still quite tasty. Granted, it takes a little more work than popping a frozen pizza in the oven, but come spring break, you can bet your lamer roommates who are sitting home alone watching "Girls Gone Wild" on TV are going to be shocked as all hell when they see you surrounded by beautiful co-eds who are ogling your muscles.

ccarrigan
03-09-2006, 07:12 PM
Thanks everyone, that really did help a lot. I guess I'm "addicted" as one might say to the better tasting side of things. I just lack willpower sometimes. I think I might shop at Sams Club and stock up for a whole month so that it's hard to cheat (I won't be at the store!). Now I just have to worry about weekday mornings and lunches on the go!

Jordanbcool
03-09-2006, 08:12 PM

I gotta agree 100% with Jordan on this one - there's no excuse to say "wahhh, it's so hard to eat tasty food and be health conscious." First, to my knowledge, hot sauce/mustard has literally no calories whatsoever, so there's no excuse to be eating plain chicken breasts if you'd rather have a little flavor. The same goes for tuna, etc. Heck, squeeze a lime on your plain rice next time and shred some cilantro - voila, a tastier alternative to a healthy meal. Make salmon with a mustard glaze. Marinate your chicken in low-fat Italian dressing, then grill it (that's a personal favorite of mine). Go buy a clove of garlic and cook it in whatever you're eating (stews, marinades, glazes, cookies, pastries... they all taste better with a little garlic). Get whey protein powder and make shakes with bananas and peanut butter - I couldn't even imagine going back to a milkshake now, these taste so freaking good. There are a bagillion and one different recipes that weighlifters eat that involve more than "plain oatmeal and egg whites" (kudos to those of you who routinely stomach this, I just prefer a little variety). The bottom line is it is not only possible, but VERY viable, to eat a healthy meal that is still quite tasty. Granted, it takes a little more work than popping a frozen pizza in the oven, but come spring break, you can bet your lamer roommates who are sitting home alone watching "Girls Gone Wild" on TV are going to be shocked as all hell when they see you surrounded by beautiful co-eds who are ogling your muscles.

I wish my bulk didnt run into spring break! O well.....spring break signals my cut. I'll look good by summer.

russianwol
03-10-2006, 12:06 PM
Think about all the chemicals and disgusting suff they add to processed food today. Soda: high fructose corn syrup and carbonated water. Canned juices: same crap. Processed food - preservatives - that stuff prevents the food from being digested in your stomach.

Slowly ween yourself off sugar - stop adding it to coffee, tea, etc. Green Tea btw is supposed to taste bitter. Stop drinking any soda - diet or not (well maybe 1/2 a can a month) - you'll adjust to not having sweet tooth. After that, cookies, candy, sweetend ice tea - all taste like crap.

Same goes for other foods. Like someone else said somewhere the biggest obstacle between you and your goals is your head. If you have goals that is. And a head...

Built
03-10-2006, 12:10 PM
I think you may be trying to be too strict. Can you not build small cheats into your plan, so you control them?

Once a week for an hour, or even something as simple as a half ounce of good dark chocolate every day. The trick is to PLAN for it. There's nothing fundamentally WRONG with eating a cookie every day if it fits into your macros and it keeps you sane.

ArchAngel777
03-10-2006, 12:12 PM
I think you may be trying to be too strict. Can you not build small cheats into your plan, so you control them?

Once a week for an hour, or even something as simple as a half ounce of good dark chocolate every day. The trick is to PLAN for it. There's nothing fundamentally WRONG with eating a cookie every day if it fits into your macros and it keeps you sane.

I agree with this, except that it would not work in my situation. The day I decided to have a cookie is the day my cut ends, whether intentional or not... The way to avoid those cravings for me, personally, is to avoid eating it altogether.

Built
03-10-2006, 12:16 PM
This one works differently for everybody.

I had a square of dark Lindt chocolate almost every day of my cut last summer. After a meal.

Kept me on track.