PDA

View Full Version : strongman style training...

greathuskie
03-08-2006, 10:24 PM
anyone ever done it consistently? i was thinking about giving it a try every weekend over the summer, i wanted to make atlas stones and that big ass slab that you carry as far as you can. anything else i can make on a budget? anyone get good results from this?

BigRic
03-08-2006, 11:24 PM
This is kind of interesting, you could build one of those things they walk with on there back if you have any welding skills. How would you make an Atlas stone?

Sensei
03-08-2006, 11:39 PM
http://www.bodyresults.com/S2stone.asp

http://jva.ontariostrongman.ca/TITEFW.htm

BigRic
03-08-2006, 11:57 PM
Those are awesome.

Sidior
03-09-2006, 12:46 AM
cool links, I am going to try to make both of those once I am home from school

nosetackle2005
03-09-2006, 10:11 AM
anyone ever done it consistently? i was thinking about giving it a try every weekend over the summer, i wanted to make atlas stones and that big ass slab that you carry as far as you can. anything else i can make on a budget? anyone get good results from this?

I train with a Canadian provincial-level strongman every Saturday. Planning to compete in June.

If you wanna make atlas stones, you can buy stone molds on-line at

www.totalperformancesports.com

or you can try making your own stone mold. There's an article on it at:

www.ontariostrongman.ca

That "big ass" slab stone (called a Husafel stone) can be found at any construction site. I don't think they'll mind if you take a slab or two. Just make sure one side of the stone is a flat surface.

Another implement to consider is the tire for flipping. I'm sure there is a farm not far from where you are that may have a tractor tire you can take away for free. You just have to provide the truck to transport it away.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,
Rick

nosetackle2005
03-09-2006, 10:16 AM
This is kind of interesting, you could build one of those things they walk with on there back if you have any welding skills. How would you make an Atlas stone?

The implement you're referring to is called the Super Yoke. Basically, it's a frame with a wide base to prevent tipping with the bar just under shoulder height. Being a HW competitor, I might be yoking between 600-750 lbs. :cool:

greathuskie
03-09-2006, 10:55 AM
i would really love to do this on the weekends at home..im going to give it a try this summer, the stone slab, tire, and atlas stones are all feasible for me

anyone who does this stuff, what kind of results can i expect?

Sensei
03-09-2006, 02:44 PM
It totally depends on where you are now and what your goals are. If you are expecting training with strongman implements to help your bench or squat (and you aren't currently maxing w. 200 or less), you're going to be disappointed. On the other hand, if you are just hoping to gain overall body strength and get in better shape as far as overall conditioning, then it will probably be a good program for you.

greathuskie
03-09-2006, 09:49 PM
its not going to be my entire workout routine...i will still do the big 3 during the week...however im going to tone it down a bit during the week so i have the energy to do this during the weekend, and for atleast 2 weeks straight im going to do ONLY these lifts

Sidior
03-11-2006, 04:17 AM
Im just going to make a few things so I can dick around with strongman stuff heh

Bohizzle
03-11-2006, 10:52 AM
Im just going to make a few things so I can dick around with strongman stuff heh
build one for me too lol, or i'll just come over and borrow urs lol.

Andrew

Sidior
03-12-2006, 05:29 PM
build one for me too lol, or i'll just come over and borrow urs lol.

Andrew

you are going to help me build them asshat

SW
03-12-2006, 06:53 PM
One of those stones you can make is like 326lbs! Holy ****....

Bohizzle
03-12-2006, 07:22 PM
One of those stones you can make is like 326lbs! Holy ****....

lol dave, i think we might need to build a lighter one for me :help:

Sidior
03-15-2006, 02:38 AM
lol dave, i think we might need to build a lighter one for me :help:

haha we will start lighter

greathuskie
03-16-2006, 12:01 PM
ok guys stop flirting, back to the topic

Guido
03-16-2006, 02:44 PM
We have some guys on my PL team that do some strongman stuff. In fact, we are doing a little intra-squad strongman competition in April that I may partake in. I think it's a lot of fun and a good way to get in some GPP conditioning aside from regular powerlifting stuff.

You can check out my teammate Jeff D's website and he has all kinds of stuff that we do, some videos, and a listing of the PL team records. Check it out!

http://www.stat.uiuc.edu/~jeffdoug/power/

greathuskie
07-31-2006, 05:11 PM
can anyone help me find dimensions of a husafell stone? im going to make one out of 1/4 steel and fill it with sand so i can adjust the weight, i just dont know how big i should make it.

waynedang
07-31-2006, 05:38 PM
www.brutestrength.com

Bob
07-31-2006, 06:00 PM
I think at BruteStrength you can only buy one.. not get their dimensions.. perhaps call them?

can anyone help me find dimensions of a husafell stone? im going to make one out of 1/4 steel and fill it with sand so i can adjust the weight, i just dont know how big i should make it.
Between the 2 professional leagues (WSM and IFSA) they are different.. WSM I beleive mostly uses something local.. like for the world championships last year in China they used some kind of large Chinese pot .. where as the IFSA uses a weight that is designed as their logo..which they call the "FSA Sheild Carry"

When local gyms or organizations run a strongman event, the husafell stone is usually in the shape of a triangle/shield/kite.. somewhere between 200-400 lbs.. but no standard that I know of.. because part of strongman is variance. But if you look at the pictures of the various sizes, I think you could make one 3 ft tall, 2 ft at the wide point and about 8 inches deep.. and have an awesome training tool.

The original Husafell was 418 lb and was from Ireland.. there are some pictures and video out on the Internet of it..

Don't forget those stones in your back yard too..

And lastly.. there was a guy in kittanning PA by the name of james smith who use to make them. Perhaps give him a call.. and he might give you the dimensions that he uses.. just google his name.

greathuskie
07-31-2006, 06:19 PM
bearwolf, i want to make the kite/superman logo style one to train with, should be a good starting block for never doing it before, i just dont know how to make one that will hold up to 250 lbs (of sand im assuming, though i dont know how much the device alone will weight)

basically i want to make my own version of the brute strength one...

Dinosaur
08-01-2006, 02:36 PM

I've been doing it for almost two years now, training primarily for strongman and having done three competitions (3rd, 3rd, and 5th respectively). Expect huge strength gains, some serious size (I've gained over 40 pounds in that time and I haven't even been shooting for size), and your power output to increase dramatically.

Dinosaur
08-01-2006, 02:38 PM
And the Husafell is from Iceland, one of the traditional manhood stones lying about. You not only had to pick the sucker up but walk around a goat pen with it to be considered a man.

Dinosaur
08-01-2006, 02:43 PM
The implement you're referring to is called the Super Yoke. Basically, it's a frame with a wide base to prevent tipping with the bar just under shoulder height. Being a HW competitor, I might be yoking between 600-750 lbs. :cool:

How's your press looking? At your size and height you could be an awesome presser. Stones will be tougher than the norm for you though.

Dinosaur
08-01-2006, 02:43 PM

How's your press looking? At your size and height you could be an awesome presser. Stones will be tougher than the norm for you though.

greathuskie
08-01-2006, 03:43 PM
dinosaur, anyway you can find dimensions for a husafell stone for me? ive come to the conclusion there is none on the internet.

Bob
08-01-2006, 04:02 PM
dinosaur, anyway you can find dimensions for a husafell stone for me? ive come to the conclusion there is none on the internet.
DUDE.. do you have a phone? Can you Google? :bang:

And lastly.. there was a guy in kittanning PA by the name of james smith who use to make them. Perhaps give him a call.. and he might give you the dimensions that he uses.. just google his name.
I gave you the name and city.. do I need to give you the phone number?
This guys has made many Husafell stones.. for many competitions.. and strongmen

greathuskie
08-01-2006, 04:08 PM
ive googled for a very long time, and the only thing about him on the internet is the mention of his name in a PDF. im not about to look through a phonebook for J Smith in pennsylvania ;).

Dinosaur
08-01-2006, 04:14 PM
You don't necessarily need a Husafell stone. Carrying anything really heavy in front of you is going to mimic the exact same thing. We'll carry our Atlas stones, kegs, river rocks, anything we can find.

Bob
08-01-2006, 04:22 PM
ive googled for a very long time, and the only thing about him on the internet is the mention of his name in a PDF. im not about to look through a phonebook for J Smith in pennsylvania ;).
Then you don't know how to Google very well!!!:fart:

Here it is from Google:
Phonebook results for "james smith" kittanning, PA
James H Smith, (724) 543-3407, Rr 5, Kittanning, PA 16201 Google Maps Yahoo! Maps MapQuest

And in case you want to see actual results from the actual Google page:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22james+smith%22+kittanning%2C+PA&btnG=Google+Search

JustLost
08-01-2006, 04:59 PM
You don't necessarily need a Husafell stone. Carrying anything really heavy in front of you is going to mimic the exact same thing. We'll carry our Atlas stones, kegs, river rocks, anything we can find.

Exactly.

I think peopleget too hung up on having the exact implments to train with. Unless you're preparing for an event, just find a big heavy thing and pick it up!

Brokwen up slabs of concrete from demolition jobs make dandy pseudo-hussafell stones, just as one example.

greathuskie
08-01-2006, 06:26 PM
yes but id like to make one that i can adjust the weight with sand so it will have a good purpose for a while

im going to make it probably 4.5 feet high, 2 feet wide at the widest part, 6 inches thick

Dinosaur
08-02-2006, 07:22 AM
Carry a keg or a barrel then. Then just add some water or sand each workout.

Guido
08-02-2006, 10:33 AM
Or just find multiple sizes and weights of bigass stones or pieces of concrete. You'll have various sizes to train with, and it will be cheap!

greathuskie
08-02-2006, 02:03 PM
i defenitely dont have room in my house at school for several big ass slabs of concrete.