PDA

View Full Version : need to find an article about losing fat

fierce
03-09-2006, 02:46 PM
Im currently trying to lose fat, and my friend is telling me that diet/cardio is pointless and I should just lift weights and the fat will turn into muscle..

I know that wont happen, and that I need a steady diet/cardio routine also.. can anyone provide a good article about this??

thanks

Unreal
03-09-2006, 02:52 PM
Fat can't turn to muscle. Cardio is not needed. Weightloss is all diet.

ElPietro
03-09-2006, 03:21 PM
If you haven't trained in the past then you will make huge gains at the beginning, and probably look at lot leaner, even though your weight will probably go up a bit not down. If not, just keep focused on training as you normally do, and focus on diet. Cardio is more of an added part if you prefer, but it's basically just burning cals. Which can be accomplished by reducing meal sizes.

Built
03-09-2006, 03:33 PM
Make sure you lift heavy as you do this, and you'll preserve your muscle and force your body to drop fat instead.

No cardio is required for this process.

whiteman90909
03-09-2006, 04:25 PM
less caories taken in= less fat its a simple equation

Built
03-09-2006, 04:39 PM
less caories taken in= less fat its a simple equation

Not quite. Less cals in = less WEIGHT, but you need to lift heavy if you want most of that weight to come off from your fat stores.

d'Anconia
03-09-2006, 07:42 PM
Im currently trying to lose fat, and my friend is telling me that diet/cardio is pointless and I should just lift weights and the fat will turn into muscle..

I know that wont happen, and that I need a steady diet/cardio routine also.. can anyone provide a good article about this??

thanks

To be honest I think these forums are a better source of information than any single article. Take a look around the forums and do a few searches and you'll definitely find what you're looking for.

Oh and ask your friend how bodyfat is turned into muscle since they aren't made up primarily of the same things (roughly, bodyfat = fat and muscle = protein). Whatever his response is, if it doesn't include "I'm wrong", then slap him in the face for me.

Jordanbcool
03-09-2006, 08:01 PM
To be honest I think these forums are a better source of information than any single article. Take a look around the forums and do a few searches and you'll definitely find what you're looking for.

Oh and ask your friend how bodyfat is turned into muscle since they aren't made up primarily of the same things (roughly, bodyfat = fat and muscle = protein). Whatever his response is, if it doesn't include "I'm wrong", then slap him in the face for me.

Good post. I've learned alot since joining this site. Like someone else said diet is all fatloss. I used to run 4 miles a day and i lost tons of weight but the WRONG weight. You lose alot of muscle if you do not diet properly and run to much.

To the OP.

Lifting is the second most important thing next to diet. If you dont do your workouts right your body throws out (sine your not using it) that extra muscle you have. Keep your calories about 500-700 under maintanence to shed fat. Train hard, and do mild amounts of cardio to speed up the process. Don't over-do it though. Running is very catabolic. Lastly SLEEP like a rock, so your body can recover. Over-training and poor diets are why many people fail. Keep your protein up high, and you'll look great in no time. Just make sure your diet is in check by joining www.fitday.com.

Good luck to you.

-jordan

Built
03-09-2006, 08:20 PM
Almost agree with Jordan. Drop cals by no more than 20% below maintenance, which you find by tracking on fitday.

For some of us, this is 500-700 calories. For me, with 2300 as my maint cals, the lowest I like to start my cuts is around 1900 cals a day.

Jordanbcool
03-09-2006, 08:24 PM
Almost agree with Jordan. Drop cals by no more than 20% below maintenance, which you find by tracking on fitday.

For some of us, this is 500-700 calories. For me, with 2300 as my maint cals, the lowest I like to start my cuts is around 1900 cals a day.

I dunno im just never satisfied with a pound a week...but thats just me.

-jordan

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
03-09-2006, 08:29 PM
Oh and ask your friend how bodyfat is turned into muscle since they aren't made up primarily of the same things (roughly, bodyfat = fat and muscle = protein). Whatever his response is, if it doesn't include "I'm wrong", then slap him in the face for me.LOL. :D

Built
03-09-2006, 09:51 PM
I dunno im just never satisfied with a pound a week...but thats just me.

-jordan

It depends on how much LBM you have, your maintenance calories, how much muscle you're willing to lose and how hungry you're willing to be.

Anything more than a 20% drop in calories is a recipe for muscle loss IMHO - on a "conventional" cutting diet at any rate. Faster weight loss without concurrent muscle loss probably requires some variant on PSMF.

Jordanbcool
03-10-2006, 08:09 AM
It depends on how much LBM you have, your maintenance calories, how much muscle you're willing to lose and how hungry you're willing to be.

Anything more than a 20% drop in calories is a recipe for muscle loss IMHO - on a "conventional" cutting diet at any rate. Faster weight loss without concurrent muscle loss probably requires some variant on PSMF.

Yes. Thats why when you cut and diet you have to be so careful at what you eat/do. Im just saying number wise, it wouldnt motivate me if i just saw half a pound to a pound a week. I'd end up cheating or quitting and fail horribly. And your right about the 20% i wouldnt say its your opinion at all. Its just a hard fact. I'd be fine though, with losing 2 pounds of muscle while losing much more fat then if i upped the calories. Its all about your personal tastes really.

Also with the cheat "meal" im having i should be fine :) haha

-jordan

PSMF is so HARD! :(

Built
03-10-2006, 08:55 AM
I think you'd find it extremely motivating if you had done it in the past and found you lost virtually ZERO LBM.

:D

ArchAngel777
03-10-2006, 09:27 AM
I think you'd find it extremely motivating if you had done it in the past and found you lost virtually ZERO LBM.

:D

It is personal preference for sure. I think it depends on how fat the person is to begin with. Me, personally, I was a tub of lard. Now I am simply "average" or "not fat". Probably around 18% BF right now and that is being conservative. But, since I am still far from my goal body fat %, it would litteraly take forever to get down to my weight if I only lost 1 pound per week. We are talking like December before I hit my goal.

Now, if I was already at 12 - 13 % BF, I would personally take the 1 pound per week route no problem. That is the reason I am aiming to lose 2 pounds per week.

For someone like Built who is already in good shape, well then, there is no rush to cut, is there? :D All depends on where you are at, IMO.

Just don't be stupid by neglecting weights and starving yourself.

Built
03-10-2006, 09:51 AM
I started this adventure 40 lbs overweight - trust me, I understand how slow slow can feel.

I dropped most of the weight in the first 6 months.

I now take a month to lose 2-3 lbs. I don't even lose a pound a week when I cut. :cry:

Jordanbcool
03-10-2006, 10:16 AM
I started this adventure 40 lbs overweight - trust me, I understand how slow slow can feel.

I dropped most of the weight in the first 6 months.

I now take a month to lose 2-3 lbs. I don't even lose a pound a week when I cut. :cry:

fo shame built fo shame :p

haha

-jordan

Built
03-10-2006, 10:22 AM
... and, I lose almost no LBM. :p

Jordanbcool
03-10-2006, 10:31 AM
... and, I lose almost no LBM. :p

Built scratch the almost. You probably dont lose any muscle at all the way you diet. I mean, can you get anymore slower???

Atleast you dont lose enough that we can actually measure. Our human calculations dont go so low!

-jordan

Built
03-10-2006, 10:34 AM
I get DEXA tested.

It's pretty much as accurate as you can get, outside of post-mortem dissection.

ArchAngel777
03-10-2006, 10:39 AM
I get DEXA tested.

It's pretty much as accurate as you can get, outside of post-mortem dissection.

LOL, funny... good stuff. Darn it, I am still fat. All this laughing is doing nothing! Nothing for me physique! :D

Jordanbcool
03-10-2006, 04:22 PM
FINALLY found the link to my discussion on eating, sleeping and workouts. Take a look.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=75679&highlight=flaxseed

Its about mid-way through the topic.

-jordan