PDA

View Full Version : Bulking on semi-skimmed milk oK?

leelio
03-10-2006, 04:17 AM
I have a low budget and this is the cheapest way of getting all the protein/carbs/fat i need

Thing is im not sure about the carbs which according to the lable "all sugar"

Will this raise my insulin too much (sorry im pretty newb), IE if its raised all the time thats a bad thing right?? I dont want to end up diabetic or something

TheGimp
03-10-2006, 05:44 AM
The glycemic index (www.glycemicindex.com) of semi-skimmed milk is in the region of 30, which is quite low. This is a result of the fat and casein content of the milk, both of which slow its digestion. To answer your question therefore, I would not be that concerned about its effect on insulin.

However I would be concerned about the potential lack of variety in your diet in terms of missing out on a wide range of vitamins, minerals and fibre.

leelio
03-10-2006, 06:24 AM
The glycemic index (www.glycemicindex.com) of semi-skimmed milk is in the region of 30, which is quite low. This is a result of the fat and casein content of the milk, both of which slow its digestion. To answer your question therefore, I would not be that concerned about its effect on insulin.

However I would be concerned about the potential lack of variety in your diet in terms of missing out on a wide range of vitamins, minerals and fibre.

Hmmm i didnt think of that... I have multivitamins/minerals of course... I wont be 100% milk all day (i would forget how to chew lol), so maybe popping some variety in there wont be too expensive

thanks

Sidior
03-10-2006, 03:18 PM
man if you are bulking go to 2% or homo!