PDA

View Full Version : Protein Per Hour - Maximizing Absorbtion

Eszekial
03-10-2006, 10:25 AM
Hello Dear Friends!

Please forgive me ahead of time. I did a search for "Protein" and "Protein per hour" and the results were so massive that it would have taken me hours to find what I was looking for if at all.

Basically, what i'm looking for here is to see how much protein you guys think is ideal per meal. I've heard out there, that your body can only absorb 30 grams of protein per hour. Therefore, gorging on 100 grams of protein every hour seems like a waste.

So consider this. last night before bed i had a nice large juicy steak! Fit day suggests that it is 63 grams of protein. Since I went to bed afterwords, would my body eventually absorb most of that protein throughout the night, or, did i absorb maybe 30 grams and the rest went to waste?

Can I eat a 60 gram protein meal in one sitting, and reasonabley expect to absorb most of that protein? Or do i need to cut it up into smaller meals? I already eat 5-7 meals a day. The problem is i have minimal appetite. Is it ok for me to take in larger amounts of protein per meal? Or Do i have to add more meals in?

I already have a hard enough time getting in my protein macro. I'm just curious what you guys do to maximize protein absorbtion and where your best sources of protein come from. What meats are you cooking? What dairy are you eating? What works for you? - I think more importantly, where does most of your protein come from?

I'm sorry if this is convoluted question. Thank you for your time!

Benji
03-12-2006, 05:08 PM
Something iv wanted answering too but i got told protein doesn't goto waste it just stores itself somewhere, i'll await replys, thanks for bringing that up cos id like more feedback on that .. :)

Manveet
03-12-2006, 05:19 PM
Your body will absord ALL of the protein.

Whether or not all of that protein will be used for muscle building purposes is a totally different question.

Extra protein will be stored as fat, possibly converted to glucose (depends on the body's condition), etc.

OptimumGrowth
03-12-2006, 05:50 PM
I'm pretty sure your body can only digest up to 35-40grams of protein every 3 hours.

Slim Schaedle
03-12-2006, 06:07 PM
I'm pretty sure your body can only digest up to 35-40grams of protein every 3 hours.
Incorrect.

OptimumGrowth
03-12-2006, 08:21 PM
Incorrect.

Then correct me please.

ddegroff
03-12-2006, 09:29 PM
Something iv wanted answering too but i got told protein doesn't goto waste it just stores itself somewhere, i'll await replys, thanks for bringing that up cos id like more feedback on that .. :)

protein is stored as muscles. some is used for other body processes. the rest is burned for energy.

smalls
03-13-2006, 01:08 AM
Then correct me please.

You have been corrected 3 ba****in jillion times in old posts. The body doesnt waste much and there certainly is no magic number for everyone.

To the original poster. Check out those searches you did this has been covered a lot. My meals have 70-90 grams of protein per 7-9 meals a day.

brickt.
03-13-2006, 02:01 AM
Man started as a single cell organism measuring approximately one micron. Since then, man has evolved to become a fully capable, self aware being.

I'm confident man isn't going to implode if you eat 'too much' protein at once.

pruneman
03-13-2006, 05:09 AM
Man started as a single cell organism measuring approximately one micron. Since then, man has evolved to become a fully capable, self aware being.

I'm confident man isn't going to implode if you eat 'too much' protein at once.

Maybe not, but "too much protein at once" might cause an explosion.:p