PDA

View Full Version : Single, fat, out of shape and highly pissed!

ironworker
03-10-2006, 08:00 PM
I first joined WBB not so long ago when I wanted to begin a new phase in my life and everything was great for the first 8 weeks then I lost my father to the big C. Instantly I stopped working out, stopped eating healthy and I guess pretty much just didn't give a F* about anything anymore.

Recently (last week) I split with my long time GF and as I sit here feeling sorry for myself I realize that in two months I turn 40, I'm about 25lbs over weight and I feel like garbage inside because of my sloppy body.
I am 6'2 225lb, I don't eat healthy right now because I haven't had time to establish a perminate residence. I feel like this is my last chance to actually get into a routine before I completely give up and become just another fat American.
Thank god for all of you here who take the time to help others like me and share your experiences with all the new comers wanting to live and feel better.

Besides this website I think I am going to need some help getting into the damn gym. I almost feel like it's gone past the point of no return. Doing some crunches after work tonight I was almost in tears because of how sloppy I am. I remember when I was 20, you could diet for a couple weeks prior to summer and be ready for the beach but when your 40 it's a different story all together.

If you have any suggestions for helping me stay with a routine short of coming to my house and picking me up :whip: please post em here. I can't be the only person to actually start trying to live a healthy life style this late in the game.

Thanks - Rich

time2grown06
03-10-2006, 08:13 PM
relax, take it a day at a time.

Drink plenty of water, eat fruits and veggies, and lean protein, etc... Eat your meals spaced out in 6-8 smaller meals. On days you don't work out, you might try yoga or pilates or deep breathing in a comfortable room in your home, which helps you relax and focus. Set workout goals and when you acheive them keep aiming higher. Don't get discouraged if you struggle at first, just keep trying and positive results will follow.

sorry about your father and gf

good luck

BigEasy
03-10-2006, 08:16 PM
I'm almost in the same boat as you Rich.
My condolences for your father, I lost mine to a stroke a couple years ago, I know how tough that is.
Turn 36 next month and I'm in the worst shape of my life.
I had a good workout stretch going last year, but then my free day turned into 2, then 3, and so on. At 6'3" & 290 I know exactly how you feel.
My main demon is diet. I have a McD's next door and a Fuddruckers across the street from my job.
My diet (re)starts tomorrow morning.
Good luck in your "reconstruction"!

russianwol
03-10-2006, 08:24 PM
It's vicious cycle - you are feeling down so don't want to go to the gym. But because you are not going - you get even more depressed. The biggest obstacle between you and your goal is your head. That's where it all starts. You know you'll feel good after workout so drag yourself to the gym. Start warming up a bit and take it from there.

You could also make the gym a place where you forget everything that's happening on the outside. Train yourself to clear your mind the moment you step into the door.

Built
03-10-2006, 11:56 PM
Forty? Bah. You're a kid.

:)