PDA

View Full Version : carb cycling

gator
03-12-2006, 10:14 AM
Is carb cycling more effective on a cut than on a bulk/maintance period? I'm trying to slowly up my cals right now and craving a PB%J sandwich... On my cut I've limited carbs on off days and today is an off day.

ddegroff
03-13-2006, 05:33 PM
While bulking I would eat all the time even if it was my off day. Go eat that PB and J.

Built
03-13-2006, 05:56 PM
IMO, you can use it wherever controlling appetite is helpful. I use it bulking or cutting because of that.

gator
03-15-2006, 05:45 PM
IMO, you can use it wherever controlling appetite is helpful. I use it bulking or cutting because of that.

After really doing a carb cycling program for my cut, i've realized that I feel much more full on carbs than on fats. I know you recommend upping fats because it helps you with your hunger, but for someone like me how low as an average per day in fat do you think i should go. .50g / LBM? I've also heard things like carbs being more anabolic than fats, but I know you need those good fats.

Shao-LiN
03-16-2006, 06:42 PM
Carbs, fats, protein all play a part in anabolism. I feel just as full on carbs as on fats, but the problem is that I'll crave the carbs even more.

You can carb cycle whether you cut or bulk, but it will all come down to how it works out for YOU. But, when you're bulking, the cycling should come down to relatively low carbs vs. high amounts as opposed to cutting cycles that recommend little to no carbs with big refeeds.

Built
03-16-2006, 07:02 PM
After really doing a carb cycling program for my cut, i've realized that I feel much more full on carbs than on fats. I know you recommend upping fats because it helps you with your hunger, but for someone like me how low as an average per day in fat do you think i should go. .50g / LBM? I've also heard things like carbs being more anabolic than fats, but I know you need those good fats.

I think 0.5g/lb LBM is generally a prudent baseline for fats.

Carbs and protein have a higher TEF than fat, and of course, there's the whole insulin/cortisol thing, but on a cut, you're unlikely to build anything. The best you can really do is protect LBM. The biggest deal on a cut is appetite suppression. If you can't control hunger, you're doomed. For me, this means lower carbs. For you, it might not have the same effect.