PDA

View Full Version : Smoothies ok while bulking?

aarongaskill
03-12-2006, 05:47 PM
I searched the forums for this and found a little information. I was wondering if it is ok to drink a jamba juice for my first meal in the morning...im bulking right now and i lift in the evening. My only concern is the high amounts of sugar.

All the posts i saw were for people cutting.

Can anyone help? Thanks

-Aaron

getfit
03-12-2006, 05:49 PM
smoothies are fine,add olive oil,what's jamba juice?

BostonBull
03-12-2006, 06:33 PM
Jamba Juice rocks...we have just one in Boston but theyre great!

eps
03-12-2006, 06:59 PM
Watch the simple sugars

aarongaskill
03-12-2006, 10:00 PM
Its a place where you get smoothies.

EPS you said watch the simple sugars...so do you not recommend them? I know in one smoothie it might have 90g of sugar or so...is that too much?

eps
03-12-2006, 10:18 PM
It might be fine post workout but I wouldn't recommend consuming something with 90g sugar per serving throughout the day -- it's going to probably get stored as fat

Holto
03-13-2006, 10:43 AM
It might be fine post workout but I wouldn't recommend consuming something with 90g sugar per serving throughout the day -- it's going to probably get stored as fat

Total calories over a given period will determine what gets stored as fat permanently.

Your body could store 99% of every meal as fat and you could still lose fat every week. It will be mobilized later on. 80% of the calories burned at rest are from fat. Your body is running on fat most of the day and will deposit fat after every meal.

TwiloMike
03-13-2006, 11:18 AM
Ask them to add protein to it- bring them a serving of vanilla whey or something.

aarongaskill
03-13-2006, 04:45 PM
They actually have protein there that you can add.

ddegroff
03-13-2006, 04:58 PM
i like smoothies when i'm bulking. I make sure its the ones that use yogurt, fruit and then I have them add whey. Really easy to get the cals you need.

lifter4life
03-13-2006, 07:07 PM
Total calories over a given period will determine what gets stored as fat permanently.
Your body could store 99% of every meal as fat and you could still lose fat every week. It will be mobilized later on. 80% of the calories burned at rest are from fat. Your body is running on fat most of the day and will deposit fat after every meal.

I would have to disagree with what you said. Consuming too much of any given macronutrient at one meal is a bad idea - especially high glycemic carbohydrates - It just depends on what the demand for these nutrients are at the moment in your body. I'm not really sure what process the fruits go through before they make the smoothie but if the fiber from the fruit is retained that should slow down the absorption of the sugars.

Also, glucose is the most commonly used source of energy in the body. It is stored in your muscles and liver as glycogen and glucose is the only source of energy your brain can use. fyi

aarongaskill
03-13-2006, 07:49 PM
wow...it sounds like a split decision. Anymore info from anyone else?

-Aaron

Holto
03-13-2006, 08:13 PM
I would have to disagree with what you said.

It's not me you would have to disagree with, but rather the principle of energy balance.

If you can give me a situation where the principle of energy balance doesn't apply I'm all ears.

brickt.
03-13-2006, 08:27 PM
I'm waiting for this one too..

Please, refute the Laws of Thermodynamics for me, I'm all ears.

Sidior
03-14-2006, 12:50 AM
:lurk:

Shao-LiN
03-16-2006, 06:45 PM
I'd like to know too...maybe he has insight into magic.

In any event, factor the calories into your goals and have at it.

lifter4life
03-16-2006, 06:57 PM
I guess I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, oh well.

brickt.
03-16-2006, 08:55 PM
What we're saying is that you can gain weight eating nothing but celery, and you can lose weight eating nothing but table sugar.

Holto
03-16-2006, 10:02 PM
I guess I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, oh well.

If you understand the principle of energy balance you will understand what Brickt just said.

If you don't you will look in all the wrong directions. Such as worrying about how much sugar a quick breakfast has. The amount of fat gained on a bulk is a result of an energy surplus. The sugar just represents energy. Excess energy is stored long term as fat, not because it entered your body as sugar.

To minimize fat gain on a bulk you need to minimize the energy excess. In the case of buking, I mean excess as in on top of maintenance plus the synthesis of new tissue.