PDA

View Full Version : Not giving up Pepsi!

baja_stx
03-15-2006, 12:20 PM
I have a co-worker who would like to loose about 10-15 lbs. She's 5'8" and currently about 140 lbs. She says she's willing to EAT clean, but will not give up Pepsi and currently drinks about 3-5 cans a day. How difficult is this going to be?

1 can Pepsi = 150 calories and 41g sugar, so upto 750 calories and 205g a sugar a day.

Jinkies
03-15-2006, 12:30 PM
carbination is soda lowers metabolism so its alot easier to lose it if you give it up all together but i think if she does everything else right(exercising and charting with fitday) it will be no problem its all about how bad she wants it

Eszekial
03-15-2006, 12:36 PM
That's just down right stupid... Soda was the first thing and the hardest thing i gave up. It's all been down hill from there.

If she ever wants to be crazy sexy, have her get rid of the pepsi. it doesn't even taste 1/2 as good as juice.

NormalDude
03-15-2006, 12:38 PM
Well 5'8 140 isnt too bad depending on how that body looks. But come on she is not serious about getting into shape if she wont give up the soda.

Holto
03-15-2006, 01:04 PM
carbonation in soda lowers metabolism

Have you got a link for this?

Not that I'm disagreeing with you. Just want to read the reasoning behind this.

ArchAngel777
03-15-2006, 01:06 PM
carbination is soda lowers metabolism so its alot easier to lose it if you give it up all together but i think if she does everything else right(exercising and charting with fitday) it will be no problem its all about how bad she wants it

What? I never heard of this... Do you have a link? Sounds like a myth.

Jordanbcool
03-15-2006, 01:27 PM
I doubt shes going to get her desired body without giving up soda no matter what she does. Soda is so bad for you its not even funny. Just empty calories and way to much sugar. Tell her to make a personal sacrifice on the soda. She can have some every once in a while but the 5 cans a day has got to go. This isnt fruit so the "5 a day is the magic rule" dosent apply here.

If she cant atleast drop down to one a day or even two then she really dosent want her "body" as bad as she says she does. Plus its not hard at all to give up soda. I drank soda for the longest time and now i only drink it when i go out on dates. She'll ween herself off of it, she just has to figure out which is more important. Soda, or her body.

-jordan

baja_stx
03-15-2006, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the responses guys... they are what I thought they'd be and what she hoped they wouldn't be.

silentdragonx
03-15-2006, 01:40 PM
wow 5 cans a day lol ! considering she wont give it up , either go diet pepsi or be ready to run for hours on a treadmill.

ddegroff
03-15-2006, 01:57 PM
i use to drink tons of soda. Its just like smoking its hard to go cold turkey. What i suggest she does is elimanate one soda a day and then go from there. Soon she'll be down to one a day and can just drop it. Its all about getting better.

As far as carbonation slowing down metabolism sounds interesting. I dont see how bubbles would slow it down, but if you got the info I'm all eyes.

Built
03-15-2006, 03:01 PM
She will lose weight if she eats less than she requires to run her body.

I USED to be 5'8" (I understand I'm shrinking) and I'm just a hair over 140, at 20% bodyfat. She just needs to lift some weights. 140 is NOT big, and 15 lbs off her will make her skinny as hell.

brickt.
03-15-2006, 04:11 PM
I believe she can get ripped drinking 3 cans of Pepsi a day - it would be harder than if she went without, but I believe it can be done.

Slim Schaedle
03-15-2006, 04:34 PM
carbination is soda lowers metabolism
Others beat me to it, but can you elaborate?

brickt.
03-15-2006, 05:15 PM
Oh, but don't you know? The carbonated bubbles house little gremlins that sneak into your brain and tinker with your Metab'o'meter™!

eps
03-15-2006, 06:26 PM
Did anyone mention Diet Pepsi? It's close enough to the real thing imho

Jordanbcool
03-15-2006, 07:52 PM
Did anyone mention Diet Pepsi? It's close enough to the real thing imho

Whoever made diet pepsi should be shot.

-jordan

eps
03-15-2006, 08:13 PM

-jordan

Mind elaborating your thoughts relative to the OP's topic?

Slim Schaedle
03-15-2006, 09:04 PM

Why?

Jordanbcool
03-15-2006, 09:18 PM
Why?

Cus like all diet sodas the taste is horrible. Honestly the person above you is the ONLY (and first) breathing human being that has said, diet soda is drinkable. Disgusting.

IMO, of course

-jordan

ReelBigFish
03-15-2006, 09:27 PM
i think pepsi one tastes pretty good, have her try that.

Eszekial
03-16-2006, 12:14 AM
For the life of my i have no idea why anybody would drink a soda over an orange juice or chocolate milk drink.

Diet soda is worse then cold water.

Eszekial
03-16-2006, 12:15 AM
Dbl postage the nuts.

baja_stx
03-16-2006, 02:38 PM
For the life of my i have no idea why anybody would drink a soda over an orange juice or chocolate milk drink.

Same reason people eat a Wendy's triple cheeseburger over a grilled chicken sandwich... they like the way it tastes and/or they're oblivious to nutrition.

Tofer
03-16-2006, 02:58 PM

Everything is worse than cold water! I'd take a nice cold glass of filtered water over any drink you can name. I can't stand the taste of soda, I find juice to be too sweet (plus I have a skin allergy to oranges) and I find chocolate milk too rich. I only drink Gatorade when I'm sick, so drinking it reminds me of being sick, which makes me avoid it whenever possible. Given that I drink alcohol maybe twice a year tops, I'm perfectly happy sticking to water and plain milk. Ice cold water is soooo refreshing. :)

Built
03-16-2006, 03:02 PM
Green tea.

jtteg_x
03-16-2006, 03:04 PM
if she wont give up 5 cans a day, limit her pepsi intake with 1 can per day or slowly decrease the amount of soda she takes in.

is she doesnt want to give up soda, i doubt she'll get any far. its like saying i wont cheat on my wife but i still get to have sex with my girlfriends.

Built
03-16-2006, 03:06 PM
If she can keep her protein and fat at sufficient levels and reduce her calories while drinking pepsi all day, and she lifts heavy, she'll lean out.

It all comes down to that.

Shao-LiN
03-16-2006, 06:33 PM
carbination is soda lowers metabolism

Which voodoo witch doctor told you this?

Shao-LiN
03-16-2006, 06:34 PM
In any event, can she lose weight? Sure. The biggest detriment there is that she'll probably have to sacrifice more food in favor of pepsi.

wrestlemaniac
03-20-2006, 06:38 PM
am I the only one who seriously loves an ice cold diet pepsi?

eps
03-20-2006, 08:03 PM
am I the only one who seriously loves an ice cold diet pepsi?

I love Diet Pepsi. Diet Pepsi for teh win!!1

Jinkies
03-20-2006, 08:12 PM
Sorry it took me so long to reply to my post, forgot about this thread. I Dont have any hard evidence to back it up but when i did the conditioning program with the austin striders track team last year thats what the head coach said, no sodas or anything like that for 5 months. Keep in mind that hes ran for the olympics and the striders compete in the junior olympics every year with its runners, so i figured he wouldnt be lieng to his athletes. If anyone can prove it wrong i wouldnt be surprised but he directly stated soda can decrease your metabolism

Nito
03-20-2006, 08:32 PM
150 calories per can of pepsi and 41 grams of sugar. That is 750 calories and 205 grams of sugar. It will be extremely hard to cut with this much pepsi. Really try to get her to cut down, if not eliminate it completely from her diet. I love diet pepsi, try to get her used to it.

seK
03-20-2006, 10:15 PM
Health wise some carbonation is actually good for yours since it kills infection-causing microbes. On the down side it can also break down calcium in your body.
I have never read anything about it directly lowering your metabolism but I can see how it may in a round about way, since when you drink more carbonated drinks you are drinking less pure water.

method115
03-21-2006, 12:18 PM
Yep i agree with built keeps her calories low she'll lean out. Just get a fitday account started for her monitor it for a week and then go from thier.

Blazin Civic
03-21-2006, 10:54 PM
She will lose weight if she eats less than she requires to run her body.

I USED to be 5'8" (I understand I'm shrinking) and I'm just a hair over 140, at 20% bodyfat. She just needs to lift some weights. 140 is NOT big, and 15 lbs off her will make her skinny as hell.
How in the HELL are you 20% BF? :eek: