PDA

View Full Version : Clinical Drug trial gone wrong

J450n
03-16-2006, 03:49 AM
"A drugs company says it has apologised to the families of two critically ill men and four others in a serious condition after a clinical drugs trial."

All are still in intensive care in Northwick Park Hospital, north-west London, after falling ill on Monday.

TeGenero, which manufactures the anti-inflammatory drug, described the reactions as "shocking developments".

"Some screamed out that their heads felt like they were going to explode"

It was the first time the drug TGN1412, designed to treat conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis and leukaemia, had been tested on humans.

Within hours of taking it on Monday, the six young volunteers had to be admitted to intensive care.

They "went down like dominoes", according to Raste Khan, 23, one of two trial volunteers who escaped unscathed after being given a placebo.

He told the Sun newspaper: "They began tearing their shirts off complaining of fever, then some screamed out that their heads felt like they were going to explode.

"It was terrifying because I kept expecting it to happen to me at any moment. But I felt fine and I didn't know why."

Myfanwy Marshall, 35, whose boyfriend is critically ill, said the normally healthy 28-year-old's face was so puffed, he "looks like the Elephant Man".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4811626.stm

Sounds like something out of a horror film!

TwiloMike
03-16-2006, 06:13 AM
Oh my... that's just horrible! I hope they have an antidote handy.

Wannabelean
03-16-2006, 06:57 AM
Woops!!

ShockBoxer
03-16-2006, 07:40 AM
It sucks but it happens. Testing on animals can only do so much... eventually you have to go live with volunteers (lured in by quick cash for no work). They knew the risks going in - every medical testing consent form reads '<x> assumes no responsibility for injury or loss of life sustained', paraphrased - even sleep study ones.

J450n
03-16-2006, 07:55 AM
Obviously they would have had to sign, accepting responsibility, fully aware of possible side affects, but i'm sure none of them, doctors included, expected such extreme reactions to it.

There was claim that a dog they tested the drug on previous to the human trials, had died. The company responsible didn't disclose.

Beholder
03-16-2006, 10:31 AM
They should save those tests for pedophiles, molestors and rapists.
Sad to see, but like stated above....they signed on the line.

ddegroff
03-16-2006, 10:49 AM
wow...

Mik
03-16-2006, 11:14 AM

Word.

Tryska
03-16-2006, 12:05 PM
wow. that's really messed up. I've heard of trials that went badly, but this one went really really badly.

d'Anconia
03-18-2006, 02:01 AM

Honestly... they end up getting cruel and unusual punishment in prison when the other inmates find out why they're in anyway.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
03-18-2006, 02:45 AM
Honestly... they end up getting cruel and unusual punishment in prison when the other inmates find out why they're in anyway.I always thought that was stupid. Some guy who murders 50 people beats up a pedophile and feels justified. They're both stupid f***s.

Songsangnim
03-18-2006, 03:31 AM
Honestly... they end up getting cruel and unusual punishment in prison when the other inmates find out why they're in anyway.

I believe they are kept apart from the general population.

But back to the case at hand. If a dog had indeed died and that was not disclosed prior to the experiment I think they would have grounds to sue, since all the relevant information was not available.

J450n
03-18-2006, 03:42 AM
"Four men left seriously ill by Monday's trial have regained consciousness. The other two remain critically ill."

"But medics say they are beginning to respond to treatment."

"Four of the men suffered multiple organ failure within hours of taking the drug TGN1412 on Monday."

But they are now claiming :

"TeGenero, which manufactures the drug, apologised to the sick men's families and said the medicine had shown no signs of problems in earlier tests. "

"He said TGN1412 had been tested extensively in laboratories and on rabbits and monkeys with no adverse effects and no drug-related deaths."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4819318.stm

If this is now the case, then i don't think they will have much of a case unless they prove otherwise. Though i can't see those affected not receiving some sort of compensation.

Roddy
03-18-2006, 12:38 PM

Agreed!

Songsangnim
03-18-2006, 07:09 PM
"Four men left seriously ill by Monday's trial have regained consciousness. The other two remain critically ill."

"But medics say they are beginning to respond to treatment."

"Four of the men suffered multiple organ failure within hours of taking the drug TGN1412 on Monday."

But they are now claiming :

"TeGenero, which manufactures the drug, apologised to the sick men's families and said the medicine had shown no signs of problems in earlier tests. "

"He said TGN1412 had been tested extensively in laboratories and on rabbits and monkeys with no adverse effects and no drug-related deaths."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4819318.stm

If this is now the case, then i don't think they will have much of a case unless they prove otherwise. Though i can't see those affected not receiving some sort of compensation.

Well I only said that they would have a case, if the story about the dog turned out to be true. Because that would mean the company (a) was aware that this drug posed serious health risks and (b) did not disclose this information. If true that would likely void any waivers. FOUR men not just one or two, FOUR men suffered multiple organ failure and everyone who took the drug got ill? It just seems very strange that after extensive tests with "no adverse effects" that every person who ingested the drug got seriously ill.

J450n
03-19-2006, 08:50 AM
Well I only said that they would have a case, if the story about the dog turned out to be true. Because that would mean the company (a) was aware that this drug posed serious health risks and (b) did not disclose this information. If true that would likely void any waivers. FOUR men not just one or two, FOUR men suffered multiple organ failure and everyone who took the drug got ill? It just seems very strange that after extensive tests with "no adverse effects" that every person who ingested the drug got seriously ill.

I know why you said it, i was just updating. I do think there's a lot more to it than they have let on so far.