PDA

View Full Version : Pounded 4 Chocolate Chip Cookies while on a cut...

ShadyRensch
03-16-2006, 09:31 AM
Well, I've been pretty strict on my cut, but the other day I was at the cafe at my college and they had the most glorious chocolate chip cookies freshly baked, so I sniped 6 of em for later if I could fit them into my cals. I looked em up on nutritiondata.com, and ate 1. But this morning I had the urge to eat all four. Luckily I weighed them and I can count them on my daily cals, but man, 1007 cals, 58 g fat, 117 carbs, and 15 g protein?!?! Wow. Luckily it's my lifting day so I allow higher carbs. As a result I gotta somehow get about 12 hours outta 350 cals. I read that cookies are really horrible for you on a cut, but If I just make sure I don't go over my cals today will there be much effect?

getfit
03-16-2006, 09:34 AM
i wouldn't worry about it that much, you had a little splurge, it happens

Unreal
03-16-2006, 09:50 AM
It happens. I had 2 burritos from a greasy mexican food stand last night after drinking way too much, and I'm cutting. Gotta get out and enjoy yourself every once and awhile.

Mik
03-16-2006, 09:55 AM
I think someone stole a cookie. You bought 6 but ate 5?

ddegroff
03-16-2006, 10:14 AM
more props to ya if you can stand 12hrs on 350 cals. If it fits into your cals its not gonna hurt you. Your stomach eating itself is another story.

unreal- everynight after the bar gets out there's guys selling burritos for $3 each, @ 2am there usually cold, but everybody's drunk and doesn't care. Man there good that late...

ShadyRensch
03-16-2006, 10:56 AM
haha i had the other 2, one yesterday and one the day before, but good to know that since it fits into my diet i'm ok. Lots of water today!

joberly
03-16-2006, 03:51 PM
It's all good I'm eating pizza tonight... as long as you allow for it in your cals I hope it's okay.... even with 4 slices of pizza I'll be JUST under 2000 cals, but add my next protein shake and ill be a tad over. I'm okay with it for a splurge! Carbs are another story... I'll be over 200 today.. eek.

Anthony
03-16-2006, 04:01 PM
Do you really think that in 5 years you'll look back on this day and say, "Damn, I shouldn't have ate those cookies."?

Probably not.

Consistency is more important than perfection.

ShadyRensch
03-16-2006, 04:35 PM
^ No, I'm always in extreme denial after I eat bad ish like that. But damn, that 3 minutes that I was eating those cookies was good. But yes, good perspective Anthony.

ArchAngel777
03-16-2006, 04:58 PM
Do you really think that in 5 years you'll look back on this day and say, "Damn, I shouldn't have ate those cookies."?

Probably not.

Consistency is more important than perfection.

I agree to a certain extent. But lately I have been looking at this from another view. Everytime you cheat, you set back your goal. You take a step back.

Now there isn't a problem with cheating every once in a great while, but there is with cheating often and or to the extreme.

For instance, If you were to eat 500 calories under maintenance for 6 days of the week and the ate 2,500 over maintenance on the 7th day, what is that going to look like? It will be the slowest weight loss you ever heard of.

I think that is what many people do who are unsuccessfull in their cut... Cheating has to have limits or it has to be very rare. One or the other for it to be acceptable.

Now, honestly, do I think eating those cookies is going to stop your dead in your tracks? No, not at all. But if you do that too often and too such an extreme, you won't hit your goals.

This applies to anyone cutting, to tell you the truth. Going out to eat for Chinese once a week at "All you can eat" buffets will easily stop you dead in your tracks, no doubt in my minds about that.

brickt.
03-16-2006, 06:02 PM
AA, I agree to an extent.

However, the human body can only process so many nutrients/calories at at any one time (lets say, 24hrs). Lets say, you go to an all you can eat Chinese buffet and slam down 7000 cals over maintenance.

Will you really gain 2lbs of fat in 24hrs? No, you won't. The muscle will take as many as it can, turning it into muscle, glycogen, fat etc and you will excrete the rest.

So yeah, IMO, you might gain 0.5lbs - 1lbs fat in day, MAX. Even if you go 7000 over, 10000 over, hell 50000 over.

getfit
03-16-2006, 06:04 PM
c'mon guys he had a few cookies, honestly now, it's not such a big deal!

ArchAngel777
03-16-2006, 06:08 PM
AA, I agree to an extent.

However, the human body can only process so many nutrients/calories at at any one time (lets say, 24hrs). Lets say, you go to an all you can eat Chinese buffet and slam down 7000 cals over maintenance.

Will you really gain 2lbs of fat in 24hrs? No, you won't. The muscle will take as many as it can, turning it into muscle, glycogen, fat etc and you will excrete the rest.

So yeah, IMO, you might gain 0.5lbs - 1lbs fat in day, MAX. Even if you go 7000 over, 10000 over, hell 50000 over.

Hey! I learned something new... I never knew there was a max amount of a food before your body jettisons it. Pretty cool... I guess that is the bodies way of protecting itself... Lest some of these 1,400 pound people became 2,000 pounds in a few months...

Well, having said that, I still believe in what I wrote! Not because he would cease to lose weight, but because he would slow it down a lot.

But lets say you do gain .5 pounds from that binge eating... That is what, 1750 calories? So, basically, that is making those 3.5 of 6 days cutting worthless.

Ya know?

Thanks for the information too, BTW.

ArchAngel777
03-16-2006, 06:10 PM
c'mon guys he had a few cookies, honestly now, it's not such a big deal!

Nope, it certainly isn't a big deal. But if we always wait to address problems in a reactive manner, then the damage is already done. Best to be proactive and fight signs of binge eating, IMO.

getfit
03-16-2006, 06:13 PM
we're human after all, i sure cannot resist to splurge once and awhile, it keeps me sane :)

ArchAngel777
03-16-2006, 06:17 PM
we're human after all, i sure cannot resist to splurge once and awhile, it keeps me sane :)

Yes, we are human... Most of us that is. It is good to let the reigns loose a bit but never take your hands off of them :D

brickt.
03-16-2006, 06:18 PM
Hey! I learned something new... I never knew there was a max amount of a food before your body jettisons it. Pretty cool... I guess that is the bodies way of protecting itself... Lest some of these 1,400 pound people became 2,000 pounds in a few months...

Well, having said that, I still believe in what I wrote! Not because he would cease to lose weight, but because he would slow it down a lot.

But lets say you do gain .5 pounds from that binge eating... That is what, 1750 calories? So, basically, that is making those 3.5 of 6 days cutting worthless.

Ya know?

Thanks for the information too, BTW.

Remember, that's not based on any pubmed studies or anything I've found, just an observation of metabolism of nutrients.

It isn't a case of your body protecting itself, hell, your body WANTS you to be fat and small, it's just that it's too much for it at once. Think a tiny creek getting hit by a tidal wave.

For instance, if your body were to metabolise every calorie ingested, people would be gaining 10lbs+ of fat over the Christmas/New Year week, with all the food and drink that is available. But, in reality, it just doesn't happen.

Yes, I do agree with you that if you have a huge cheat once a week whilst on a normal cutting diet, it could slow, halt, or even reverse progress.

getfit
03-16-2006, 06:19 PM
Yes, we are human... Most of us that is. It is good to let the reigns loose a bit but never take your hands off of them :D
*goes grabs box of pb cookies* hehe! ;)

ArchAngel777
03-16-2006, 06:19 PM
:thumbup:

Shao-LiN
03-16-2006, 06:32 PM
Avoid the temptation...you will gain 5 pounds of fat for each cookie consumed. It's a proven fact in my mind.

ShadyRensch
03-16-2006, 08:01 PM
^uh oh... haha, well I still hit my goals today anyway
2403 cals, 83 g fat, 214 g carb, 216 g protein.

I had a mean 20 minutes of cardio on the elyptical too.

brickt.
03-16-2006, 08:51 PM
So you had 4 awesome cookies today, and still managed to hit totals? Awesome :thumbup:

JustLost
03-17-2006, 05:52 PM
So you had 4 awesome cookies today, and still managed to hit totals? Awesome :thumbup:

My thought exactly. If I want a bowl of ice cream or whatever, I just try to work it into the day's macro count and that's that.