PDA

View Full Version : Herc's "Get in shape for the first time EVAR!" thread...

HerculesMO
03-16-2006, 12:18 PM
Hi folks.

I have never made a concerted effort into getting in shape, but after the past few years of a hectic schedule, I finally have a job that I'm comfortable in, making good money, and paying off long standing bills.

In an effort to get my life together as a whole, I'm going to be working out hardcore, for hopefully at least the next 6-8 weeks. I've been to the gym before but it was an on again, off again type of thing. I have never benched more than 160lbs which is rather pathetic I guess, considering how much people here can do, though I'm not intimidated by it. For the next 6-8 weeks, I'll be following the WBB #1 routine, and posting my results here. I am starting this on a Thursday, March 16, but my routine actually began on Monday, the 13th.

If you see anything I'm doing wrong, let me know. I'll add my FitDay routine into my sig shortly, so you can watch my dieting process.

Patz
03-16-2006, 12:21 PM
Good luck, man.

When I started lifting in Sept 2004, I could do about 120 x 1 on bench.

I had it up to 225 in 1 year flat, without ever doing a bulk. Just lift hard, eat clean, and the results will come. Let the mirror, not the scale, be your progress meter.

Mik
03-16-2006, 01:04 PM
Good luck Herc!

HerculesMO
03-16-2006, 01:11 PM
Updated with FitDay info... I'll post my journal thoughts later, gotta get back to work :)

HerculesMO
03-28-2006, 02:13 PM
Slow updates for me folks, though I promise... I've been keeping up with my diet and exercise.

Last two weeks have been hard. Two weeks ago, I did my chest/back day, and the rest of the week was a bust. I was in excruciating pain because I hadn't worked out in so long, that I was hurting all over after my workout.

This past week I was very good. I have been aiming to be on a Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday workout schedule. So I'll start from the beginning of last week, because I figure I've been doing alright.

Every day, I take multivitamins (ALN brand). I take three of those when I wake up, and also take 4 of the ETS pills for muscle recovery/strength. I am not sure whether it actually works... but I've made it habit now and have only missed one day, because I woke up really late :)

I start the morning taking a shake with water, and frost mini wheats as a usual breakfast.

Tuesday: Diet is spot on... (check fitday!). Getting about 190 grams of protein for the day. I did my chest workout again today, and my bench is HORRIBLE. I am doing free weights and pushing like 120 lbs... really exerting myself too.

Thursday: Arms and shoulders.. I don't curl a lot, but I'm doing 30 on each arm which isn't too horrible. It's odd... my triceps REALLY felt the burn the next day, but my biceps were pretty fine. I'm not sure if this is normal, and that I didn't work out hard enough (I thought I did...), but that's the way it worked out. My shoulders were sore too.

Saturday: Got up LATE -- like 1pm. I went to sleep at 4am the night before because I went out with some friends, and then watched TV till 4... probably stupid on my part but it's how my Fridays generally go. I did a leg workout, squatting the bar with 2 45lb plates. I forget how much the bar is... 35lbs? I did the 'butt to floor' method, along with heavy leg curls (i forget how heavy -- i wrote it down... but it was hard!). I finished up doing crunches.

Sunday: WORST PAIN OF MY LIFE. I THINK I GAVE BIRTH AND DIDN'T KNOW IT! My legs, my butt, my calves.... it BURNED. I couldn't walk properly, and getting upstairs to my room was a REAL effort. I'm attributing this to the fact it was a GREAT workout.

Monday: Still in quite a bit of pain. I work in NYC so walking everywhere... it is difficult. I just decided to go across the street for lunch because I was still in a bit of pain.

Tuesday: Today. I'm still sore in my legs and butt, but it's not NEARLY as bad as it was. So far I'm on almost a no carb intake today.... I'll probably eat a sandwich with some bread because I generally don't do any real weight without some energy. I took protein this morning and again just now.. I mixed in a bit of creatine into my afternoon shake as well. I'm not sure there's any benefit to this, but I tend to do it on workout days, and also put creatine into my post-workout shake. I have heard that it's better to take creatine with apple juice (dextrose), but I don't really know... Anyways, I'm waiting to leave work and get some food. I'll hit the gym around 9 or 10pm.

That's the updates for now... stay tuned! :)

Skinny Fat
03-28-2006, 03:44 PM
1) Slow updates for me folks, though I promise... I've been keeping up with my diet and exercise.

2) Tuesday: Diet is spot on... (check fitday!). Getting about 190 grams of protein for the day. I did my chest workout again today, and my bench is HORRIBLE. I am doing free weights and pushing like 120 lbs... really exerting myself too.

3) Thursday: Arms and shoulders.. I don't curl a lot, but I'm doing 30 on each arm which isn't too horrible. It's odd... my triceps REALLY felt the burn the next day, but my biceps were pretty fine. I'm not sure if this is normal, and that I didn't work out hard enough (I thought I did...), but that's the way it worked out. My shoulders were sore too.

4) Sunday: WORST PAIN OF MY LIFE. I THINK I GAVE BIRTH AND DIDN'T KNOW IT! My legs, my butt, my calves.... it BURNED. I couldn't walk properly, and getting upstairs to my room was a REAL effort. I'm attributing this to the fact it was a GREAT workout.

5) .... I'll probably eat a sandwich with some bread because I generally don't do any real weight without some energy. I took protein this morning and again just now.. I mixed in a bit of creatine into my afternoon shake as well. I'm not sure there's any benefit to this, but I tend to do it on workout days, and also put creatine into my post-workout shake. I have heard that it's better to take creatine with apple juice (dextrose), but I don't really know... Anyways, I'm waiting to leave work and get some food. I'll hit the gym around 9 or 10pm.

That's the updates for now... stay tuned! :)

Good job getting started, Herc! (the numbers are mine)

1) I'm in the habit now, where I go to the gym, come home, sit down at the computer, and document it. God help me if the site goes down - I think I'd forget how much I'm supposed to be lifting. :)

2) Don't worry about what the numbers are at this point - we all started somewhere, and there are plenty of guys on here who started wayyyyyy lower than that. If you're really exerting yourself, you might want to lower the weight and work on your form. Too much side-to-side up-and-down wobble will wear you out way before you can actually get all your reps in.

3) You'll read a bunch of people on here, who all say the same thing:

Soreness is not an indicator of growth.

Don't say to yourself - man, I'm not sore today, I must have done something wrong. Did you move a lot of weight? Then you worked. It'll make you grow. The triceps were probably from some over-head pressing motion you did. (you should write out the exercises you've been doing so people can give you suggestions)

4) Oh, the joy of next-day-after-squat pain. That's an awesome feeling. :D

5) If there's one thing I've learned, it's don't go into the gym feeling empty. Always make sure you've got some carbs in your system, or the day will go to crap.

Personally, I don't use, nor would I advise anybody particularly to use, creatine or other supplements until they were eating plenty of good food. I'd always prefer a chicken sandwich on 12 grain bread to a meal-replacement shake.

Good luck with the new journal and turning a corner in your life - I'll check in on this to see how it goes!

:strong: :strong: :strong:

ETA: Standard bars are 45lb.