PDA

View Full Version : Best Lifts

jarrett1
03-16-2006, 05:37 PM
What are the best lifts for a football player for strenght.
Dose squat make you faster.
Best Drill for speed, agility,enduence, and stamida
:shoot:

ArchAngel777
03-16-2006, 06:18 PM

Say, you might want to direct this question to your coach. If you do not have one, then I am sure a few people here would have some good pointers. Additionally, if you google some information on "football training routines" you should find quite a bit of information.

Good luck!

jarrett1
03-16-2006, 06:38 PM
Say, you might want to direct this question to your coach. If you do not have one, then I am sure a few people here would have some good pointers. Additionally, if you google some information on "football training routines" you should find quite a bit of information.

Good luck!
yea i do ask my coaches but they just say like dont worry about that just lift as much as u can:thumbup: :omg:

biggimp
03-16-2006, 06:54 PM
i would worry more about english class....

drew
03-16-2006, 08:11 PM
Box squats will improve your explosiveness and leg strength, which will increase the force production of your legs, which will make you faster and make you jump higher. (Plyo box jumps will also help with explosiveness and VJ)

All kinds of pressing (bb and db flat and incline, military, lockouts, etc) are great for upper body strength, which you'll surely need on the field.

Good mornings, SLDLs, Rows, and lots of ab work should also be included.

I would stay away from the olympic lifts UNLESS you have a coach who knows how to perform them and how to teach them. But powercleans wouldn't kill you.

I would stay away from deadlifts off the floor during the season as these can be killer to recover from, but go ahead and do them in the offseason to help pack on the mass. During the season you may want to stick to high pin pulls or just the SLDLs or RDLs.

Most important for you is to eat plenty and just lift heavy. As far as speed goes, sprint intervals would be fine. I would do all out sprints for 30 yards then rest 2 minutes and repeat for 5-10 sets. Of course, I'm not the best conditioned guy on here, so I'm sure someone else could help you out with this part.

What position are you trying out for? RB?

jed
03-17-2006, 09:48 PM
Unless your doing low rep low weight box squats, i don't recomend doing them. i quit box squatting after i did 405 and i couldnt move my back for a few days. even with 135 it hurts my back. Focus on Power Cleans for explosiveness off the line, it also works endurance. Do squats, to help your legs and pretty much everything else. Im not sure if Bench Press helps for technique, but I think it helps the pushing movement Linemen give off. If your school is half-way wealthy, try investing in a "Verti-Max" or just build one in your garage, that will take care of your vertical. For speed/agility just google some drills or ask one of your best older football players. If you want to do it yourself, get some cones and set them up in various patterns like a box, and run up and down and up and down again, etc.

Canadian Crippler
03-17-2006, 10:10 PM
:shoot:Maaaaan that is some terrible English!

strength*
does*
endurance*
stamina* (stamida???)

Yes, squats are wicked. Do them, do them often, and do them heavy.

Jinkies
03-18-2006, 05:10 PM
Squatting and benching are great and that goes without saying but one of the best exercises for football is the Powerclean. If you can clean 300+ and run a 4.8 you will break someone in half on the field

EHSathlete
03-18-2006, 05:13 PM
Squats (and or box squats), cleans, agility ladders, and 40-200m workouts.

#1 is ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS AND MORE ABS! STRONG ABS MAKE STRONG BODIES! At least that's what my coaches tell me.

jed
03-18-2006, 09:44 PM
your right, EHS, not just abs, but the whole central core of your body (lower back, abs, obliques, etc) is very important for football.

Optimum08
03-18-2006, 09:48 PM
:withstupi...not just abs, but the core...

Optimum08
03-18-2006, 09:51 PM
Squatting and benching are great and that goes without saying but one of the best exercises for football is the Powerclean. If you can clean 300+ and run a 4.8 you will break someone in half on the field

This is not true. Just because you can powerclean so much weight and run a 40 in a certain amount of time has no direct correlation to production on the field. You can be a big p*ssy within the realm of football but still run fast and lift heavy weights. The 40 yard dash is IMO one of the most overrated stats that are tested, i mean when will a lineman or anyone other than a QB, RB, WR ever have the chance to run 40 yards straight with no one in their way?

Jinkies
03-20-2006, 07:37 AM
Im not saying they would be a great athlete but in a head on tackling drill would cause some damage. I was just proving that point that a good powerclean makes the difference of a football field, especially when it comes to tackling

jtteg_x
03-21-2006, 03:13 AM
football? deadlift..

IronCard 05
04-01-2006, 03:26 PM
seriously - move rocks, dig wholes, chop wood and run 40's till you puke. youd be surprised how freakin strong and fast you get in a month or two...plus you can get people to pay you to do it!

BigCorey75
04-02-2006, 05:03 PM

it depends on your position, the bigger you are the more heavy weight you need to do

line man, focus on squats(heavy and explosive) incline bench press, deadlifts although i dont think coaches stress this enough

Linebackers, fullbacks, running backs, tightends, focus on squats but not as heavy as the linemen, and do alot of unilateral leg work and upper body strength as well the bench and incline and focue alot more of cleans since most of your impact will be on your feet and you will be close to standing and you get alot of leg drive

Db's and Recievers, alot of focus on explosive leg work and unilateral leg work and cleans for explosion, and all upperbody work being in the mid rep raneg variety andexplosive work
R

Xyber04
04-04-2006, 07:11 PM

Hey man, im not the smartest guy around but i can give ya some tips, i wrestle, and in some ways its simmilar to football becuz u gotta be strong and fast, and agile.

Some lifts that can increse your strength for hitting in fball is core workouts, when you can hold your own when being hit, or hitting you will do more damage.
anything that revolves around working your core is good. a great drill for running i think is the 5 man agility, do some searches on that. endurance you should do long runs and alot of jumproping, same for stamina, try to hold a sprint for half a mile, and imporve upon that -to 3/4 mile. and a full mile, i know running sucks but if you wanna get better running is great. and basic upper body stregth is good for a foot ball player. bench, cleans, curls, stuff like that, also you could hit up the pec deck too.

And about the squat im not to sure, but i know that it does make your legs stronger, and if you got buff legs and stretch regularly you most likly will get alot faster.. anyways - hope i helped

dblocc707
04-26-2006, 09:29 AM
best advice i could give you are spped drills, and working out many times a week.. the russians work out 14-15 times per week. a smart man has told me that spped squats like 50%-60% of ur 1 rep max as many times as possibile this will increase your verticle leap and so forth. if your training to be a lineman ect, LOW REPS of like 3 and some sets 1 low reps (1-3)= strength
middle reps (5-8)= muscle mass and strength high reps(8-12)= pointless!!!
Dblocc70755@yahoo.com