PDA

View Full Version : Potatoes

Nito
03-17-2006, 03:25 PM
I am currently cutting and I would like to know if baked potatoes are an okay starchy carb choice for pre/post workout carb, to go along with some whey. Since I don't got any sweet potatoes, and I don't feel like eating oats right now. Reply quick, gotta eat soon :)

getfit
03-17-2006, 03:27 PM
i don't see the problem at all, go eat

Built
03-17-2006, 03:52 PM
Spuds are fine.

Another one I like is chicken noodle soup - water, salt, fast carb, protein. Perfect.

ArchAngel777
03-17-2006, 04:00 PM
Yeah, I have heard a lot of people tell me to avoid potatoes because of the high GI rating... But, you know what? I don't like Yams or Sweet potatoes, so I can care less. I eat red or regular pototoes regularly and am still losing weight... My cut is actually going very well. So, just like everyone else, I'd say they are just fine.

Built
03-17-2006, 04:18 PM
GI is an outdated concept. Besides, you have to remember that it is influenced by food combinations: potato + butter has a lower GI than potato.

Furthermore, you actually WANT fast carb around workouts. You'll be fine.

TheGimp
03-17-2006, 05:40 PM
**** GI, potatoes rate #1 on the satiety index*

* Information ripped off from Holto

Nito
03-17-2006, 07:04 PM
GI is an outdated concept. Besides, you have to remember that it is influenced by food combinations: potato + butter has a lower GI than potato.

Furthermore, you actually WANT fast carb around workouts. You'll be fine.

Aren't I supposed to eat slow carbs around my workout like oats, sweet potatoes, regular potatoes...like starches? I'm confused :(

gator
03-17-2006, 10:08 PM
GI is an outdated concept.

I really dissagree with you, i've learned a lot lately and maintaing insulin levels by eating low GI carbs is really beneficial. However what I think you were getting at is that GI can be manipulated, like more fiber and fats slow down the carbs etc.

TheGimp
03-18-2006, 04:20 AM
I really dissagree with you

There are certainly lessons to be learned from an appreciation of carbohydrate quality, but GI has been superseded by other measures such as GL - glycemic load - which takes into account not just the quality but also serving size.