PDA

View Full Version : Ummm, Speed days ?

SkinnySadMan
03-17-2006, 09:47 PM
Few questions about speed days. :)

Question Number Zero: Does anyone here have "Speed days".... or "Dynamic blah blah...something" day ?

Question Number One: Doing regular deadlifts, or squats, or bench press at 50% of 1rm as fast as you can.. is that considered a speed day ?

Question Number Two: Do you have to be a professional powerlifter to get benefits from "speed days" ?

Q. 3: Can newbie/ or intermediate lifters benefit from speed days ?

EHSathlete
03-18-2006, 05:15 PM
As far as I know, speed days are good for anyone.

Canadian Crippler
03-18-2006, 05:20 PM
Question number mine: What are your goals?

Someone who is solely interested in mass really will be wasting time doing speed days. A lot of strong ass people never do speed days and never have. I really would only throw it in if you are interested mainly in strength or if you're an athlete.

Paul Stagg
03-18-2006, 08:23 PM
Question Number Zero: Does anyone here have "Speed days".... or "Dynamic blah blah...something" day ?

** Yes

Question Number One: Doing regular deadlifts, or squats, or bench press at 50% of 1rm as fast as you can.. is that considered a speed day ?

** Basically. The point is to move a submaximal weight as fast as possible.

Question Number Two: Do you have to be a professional powerlifter to get benefits from "speed days" ?

** No.

Q. 3: Can newbie/ or intermediate lifters benefit from speed days ?

** Depends on their goals

DeusFacticius
03-19-2006, 10:38 PM
if you dont like having whole days devoted to just speed (i think its kind of a waste), try just adding 1-2 sets of explosive 'speed' sets to whatever lifts you're already doing. i like to do it quickly after my last normal set but with a much reduced weight so that my muscles are still tired. i find it very beneficial as it trains your muscles to be explosive even when fatigued.

Meat_Head
03-20-2006, 12:36 AM
Olympic lifts - meet many goals at once

dissipate
03-20-2006, 03:42 AM
Q4: how often do you do speed days?

phreak
03-20-2006, 05:42 AM
0. yes

1. maybe. If the resistance is adequate to allow full transfer of power, then 50% is correct. However, it will be too light for most people. A better guideline: use the heaviest weight you can do for all reps without "straining". If you can do your last rep of your last set as quickly as the first, then the weight is too light. If you start grinding out your reps at set 5 then it's too heavy.

2. nope. A good exercise is a good exercise. If speed is one of your weaknesses, then train it. If you don't need to do it (yet), then don't.

3. see 2.

Sensei
03-20-2006, 05:56 AM
1. maybe. If the resistance is adequate to allow full transfer of power, then 50% is correct. However, it will be too light for most people. A better guideline: use the heaviest weight you can do for all reps without "straining". If you can do your last rep of your last set as quickly as the first, then the weight is too light. If you start grinding out your reps at set 5 then it's too heavy.
Adding to this - A beginner or intermediate lifter will use a higher % of his/her 1RM than an advanced lifter. A beginner might have no problem using 70% for DE work.

IMHO, just about anyone can benefit from speed work, but I wouldn't say it's critical for most novice and intermediate lifters.

KevinStarke
03-20-2006, 02:20 PM
Apart from the explosive benefits i've found a speed day is a nice break from going really heavy and actually helps me recover quicker.

Paul Stagg
03-22-2006, 06:30 PM
A speed day isn't a break. DE Squat is the hardest workout of the week for me.

KevinStarke
03-22-2006, 10:48 PM
Its not easy but compared to my heavy days I consider it a break.

SkinnySadMan
03-23-2006, 07:22 AM
Goals? Just want to see the main lifts go up. Get bigger to (Let's not talk about getting bigger in this thread). Anyways the deadlift is all about speed (that faster you can pull the bar, the easier it is...uuh I think anyways.), so I'm training for speed in the deadlift, hopefully it'll help my poundages go up. I do SPeed pulls of deadlift/squat/and bench every other week. Not sure if that's enough. I don't do "heavy" deadlifts every week, so I replace that with speed days.

EmericaBadBoy
03-23-2006, 12:57 PM
(that faster you can pull the bar, the easier it is...uuh I think anyways.).

- For me its form if i go to fast it kills my back for few weeks.

M.J.H.
03-23-2006, 01:03 PM
Everything that Paul Stagg posted is right on the money. :thumbup:

SkinnySadMan
03-24-2006, 07:26 AM
Who is Paul Stagg?

JustinASU
03-24-2006, 11:13 AM
Who is Paul Stagg?

bahaha. A mod. One of the longer standing members of the board. A good resource in regards to strength training.

Oh and he's in post number 4. Look up.