PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my diet

KoolDrew
03-20-2006, 02:01 PM
I am currently a 255 pounds, 6'2" male. My main goal here is to loose some body fat and get into shape. I have been doing some reading and there seems to be a lot of different opinions about how many calories you should consume. Some say multiply your boudywieght by 15 and many say lower then that. I honestly think 3825 calories a day is way too much for what I am trying to do. Another article said multiply it by 12. This would give me 3060 which seems a bit better.

I also read this article:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/south9.htm

What do you guys think about the nutition information given there? This program also increases cardio as I get farther into it and decreases the amount of calories. Also, besides how much calories I should consume a day what percentage should be protein, carbs, or fats?

What do you guys think the most effective way is to accomplish my goal?

Jordanbcool
03-20-2006, 03:29 PM
I am currently a 255 pounds, 6'2" male. My main goal here is to loose some body fat and get into shape. I have been doing some reading and there seems to be a lot of different opinions about how many calories you should consume. Some say multiply your boudywieght by 15 and many say lower then that. I honestly think 3825 calories a day is way too much for what I am trying to do. Another article said multiply it by 12. This would give me 3060 which seems a bit better.

I also read this article:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/south9.htm

What do you guys think about the nutition information given there? This program also increases cardio as I get farther into it and decreases the amount of calories. Also, besides how much calories I should consume a day what percentage should be protein, carbs, or fats?

What do you guys think the most effective way is to accomplish my goal?

40% Protein, 25% Carbs, 35% Fat is What was suggested to me. Its working great so far.

Also i wouldnt up your cardio AND lower your calories as your diet goes on. Doing so will probably burn off to much muscle. Either drop some calories or raise the cardio. I love to eat even on a cut so i usually just up the cardio but its all up to you.

Im not good with mainenance calories so dont quote what im about to say....Someone who is better at that is built. Anyways my caloric intake for mainenance is about 3000. However this past week i only worked out twice (because i was busy/not feeling well) and ate 3300 calories a day. Im 190.5 pounds, 5"8, at 15% bodyfat and i havent gained an ounce. Your a big boy. You probably have to eat like one. 3800 might not be that high for someone as big as you. However, to lose weight your second figure seems more resonable. PM built for more info.

-jordan

KoolDrew
03-20-2006, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have been reading quite a bit since I posted my last post and came up with 46:34:20 (Carbs:Protien:Fats). From what I have read I am assuming this is good for my specific goal - fat loss. If I was bulking it would be a completely different story. My daily caloric intake would be something around 3000.

I'll PM built if she doesn't reply to this thread or after I finish my reading. Then I'll just put it all together and ask her how it looks.

Built
03-20-2006, 04:56 PM
The ratio approach is really an inappropriate guideline for bodybuilders, whose calories change so much depending upon whether we're bulking, cutting, or maintaing. At best, it's an outdated guideline best suited to people who live at maintenance.

The problem with the ratio approach is that the amount of each macronutrient is anchored to a moving target - total calories.

You're better off anchoring the essential ones - the protein and fat grams - to something that doesn't move as fast: LBM, as doses. Otherwise, you either end up with inappropriate amounts of protein and fat when you switch between bulking and cutting, or you have to keep "bulking ratios" and "cutting ratios", which starts to get silly.

Read the link in my sig. The baselines for cutting are the same as for bulking.

KoolDrew
03-22-2006, 08:24 PM
Thanks a lot Built. That sounds like a much better idea. However, I only estimated by LBM using this (http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/lbm) and it gave me 173.54. Is that OK?

KoolDrew
03-23-2006, 11:29 AM
What do you think about this?
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mohr115.htm

Obviously I would have to eat more calories then that, but is it good to use?