PDA

View Full Version : Plateauing and Nutrition

Burner27
03-21-2006, 05:07 AM
I have been following the WBB1 routine since Nov 2005 (warmup set(s) are performed beforehand):

Day 1 : Chest and Back

Chest

Flat Barbell Bench Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
Low Incline Dumbbell Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
Dips : 2 x 6-8 reps

Back

Chin ups : 2 x 6-8 reps
Deadlifts : 2 x 6-8 reps
Barbell Rows : 2 x 6-8 reps
Shrugs : 1 x 10 reps

Day 2 : OFF

Day 3 : Legs

Squats : 2 x 6-8 reps
Hack Squats : 2 x 6-8 reps
Leg Curls : 2 x 6-8 reps
Straight Legged Deadlifts : 2 x 6-8 reps
Standing Calve Raises : 4 x 10 reps

Day 4 : OFF

Day 5 : Shoulders, Triceps and Biceps

Shoulders

Military Press in Rack : 2 x 6-8 reps
Seated Dumbbell Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
Standing Lateral Raises : 2 x 10 reps

Triceps :

Narrow Grip bench Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
French Press : 2 x 6-8 reps

Biceps :

Barbell Curls : 2 x 6-8 reps
Hammer Curls : 1 x 6-8 reps

Day 6 : OFF

Day 7 : OFF

Now my stats before starting this routine, (keep in mind this doesn’t mean I have never worked out. I just tried something new) were the following:

Height 5’ 7”
Weight 172lbs (do not know BF % --don’t care)

After ~ 4 months of this routine I have the following stats:

Height –still the same (what the hell? Aren’t you supposed to get taller from working out? ;-) )

Weight ~190lbs

Bench press went up from 200lbs to 250lbs
Squat went from 225lbs to 275lbs
Deadlift went from 0lbs to 250lbs (never did them before this routine)

I have no complaints about this routine other than the fact that I am plateauing and I have not gained anything for 3 weeks or so in terms of size or strength.

So I ask those that are more knowledgeable than me this:

Is the next step in this routine to change the exercises or the amount of reps or both? Is Periodization something I should be incorporating? What would be the best method? Should I go to WBB2?

My goal is this—my wife and I saw “Failure to Launch” and she swooned over Matthew McConaughey’s physique which I would classify as “muscular toned”. I am not like that at this point due to the fact I have been putting on size over the winter. I would like to start to go that route and I assume I will have to do more cardio. I realize I will probably lose some weight and size but I really would like to know if using weights with a rep range of 10-12 reps is going to be detrimental to my overall goal?

Here's my daily intake breakdown as I entered it from Fitday:

Calories Eaten Today
source grams cals %total
Total: 2134
Fat: 46 416 20%
Sat: 10 89 4%
Poly: 13 119 6%
Mono: 19 167 8%
Carbs: 301 1132 55%
Fiber: 18 0 0%
Protein: 132 529 25%
Alcohol: 0 0 0

Thanks.

superhombre2k
03-21-2006, 07:10 AM
You're not eating nearly enough to gain weight and possibly not even enough to recover properly.

WildCard
03-21-2006, 07:36 AM
first off, great job on keeping track of food on fitday. knowledge is light.

second. it seems like you have a good program. what I would do is add about 30-40 minutes of cardio on your off days.

Did you cut your calories significantly over the last month or so? if so, your strength will naturally go down.

Are you trying to lift heavier weight? dont get comfortable at any weight.

if you cut your calories, take dextrose before your workout. It will give you power. also, try taking creatine. It might bust you out of the rut.

hth

Burner27
03-21-2006, 08:04 AM
first off, great job on keeping track of food on fitday. knowledge is light.

second. it seems like you have a good program. what I would do is add about 30-40 minutes of cardio on your off days.

Did you cut your calories significantly over the last month or so? if so, your strength will naturally go down.

Are you trying to lift heavier weight? dont get comfortable at any weight.

if you cut your calories, take dextrose before your workout. It will give you power. also, try taking creatine. It might bust you out of the rut.

hth

Well, I have not been eating very well and I do have an increased stress factor due to selling my current home and buying another one. But everything is slipping back to normal now. I have been doing the above mentioned routine for almost 5 months and I feel that I am plateauing due to the fact that I have been doing the same thing. Does that seem logical? I was wondering if I can do the same routine but with different exercises, but keeping the core (deads, Squats, bench) in the routine? Example, subsitute flat barbell bench with flat dumbell press? Does that seem "different" enough to get me out of my rut?

Any advice is very much appreciated.

seK
03-21-2006, 09:51 AM
Weight 172lbs (do not know BF % --donít care)
If you want that type of body you will want to know your BF% or at least an estimate. Then you will have an idea of how much work you need to do. Both your protein and Fat seem a bit on the low side also.

ddegroff
03-21-2006, 02:02 PM
if your plateauing then its time for a change. I would go to WBB#2, just because its already layed out and it will be easy transition. It sounds like you want to cut so you look more muscular. 2100 cals would probably be low for you right now, i would start around 2400 or so and see how much weight you lose and adjust from there. Read builts sticky on the stop of this forum, it will get you going in the right direction.

Now it also sounds like you want to keep getting bigger and want to keep putting more weight on the bar. If this is true I would still recommend a new routine. I would also recommend eating a lot more than you listed. Yes, changing the reps will help while keeping the same basic lifts. If you don't feel confident in your ability to design your own routine stick with the WBB routines just adjust them to your likeing.