PDA

View Full Version : Is OJ a good way to get in some carbs?

Thunderstorm
03-21-2006, 04:33 PM
At times, I find that I'm behind on my carb intake yet nearing my protein and fat intake. Orange juice is good in carbs and I think it's low on the GI list.

Is drinking a glass of orange juice an acceptable way to get in some carbs without adding protein and fat?

kate
03-21-2006, 04:36 PM
although OJ is high in carbs, the calories and sugar and no fibre isnt the best option- just my opinion

Thunderstorm
03-21-2006, 04:38 PM
What's a good way to get in some carbs and a few calories without added protein and fat?

eps
03-21-2006, 04:45 PM
Oats do not have a siginificant amount of protein or fat relative to the amount carbs they have.

I think a cup of oats has ~50+g of low GI carbs. Try blending a cup of steel cut oats into a powder and mixing it with about 300 mL of sugarfree kool-aid or water. It would be pretty quick to consume.

Built
03-21-2006, 05:05 PM
OJ has approximately the same sugar profile as coca cola.
Too much fructose to do on purpose.

How about sweet potato? Or for something faster - dextrose? Make it into lemonaid?

Davidelmo
03-21-2006, 06:19 PM
Another vote for oats.

Thunderstorm
03-22-2006, 05:48 AM
What about powdered Gatorade?

getfit
03-22-2006, 06:04 AM
What about powdered Gatorade?
i use powdered Gatorade during workout, i like it

Unreal
03-22-2006, 07:02 AM
Why not more protein? It can't hurt.

Manveet
03-22-2006, 07:26 AM
a glass of orange juice is just fine.

Genacide
03-22-2006, 08:26 AM
I drink a glass og OJ every morning for breakfast, what would people say is a better options? Milk? Water? Gin and Tonic?

Anthony
03-22-2006, 08:32 AM
OJ has approximately the same sugar profile as coca cola.
Too much fructose to do on purpose.

How about sweet potato? Or for something faster - dextrose?

A glass of OJ is bad because of fructose, but dextrose is okay?

:scratch:

I have a glass of OJ/AJ every morning. It's one of the few things in my routine that has been constant for as long as I can remember.

Built
03-22-2006, 01:34 PM
Just depends what you want it for.

If you love the taste of juice, by all means, drink it.

But if you're specifically taking it for the carbs, there are better choices. Oats or sweet potatoes, for something slow, for example, that won't overload your liver with fructose. This has been covered many times - you want fruit, eat fruit, don't drink it. Perricone, who does a lot of work with inflammation response, has some compelling reasons to avoid juice, particularly first thing in the AM.

Anthony
03-22-2006, 02:01 PM
Perricone, who does a lot of work with inflammation response, has some compelling reasons to avoid juice, particularly first thing in the AM.

BUT I NEED IT! :D

What if you fresh squeeze it yourself and eat the pulp? I don't see that being much diff than eating an orange. Bottom line, I need citrus in the morning more than most people need coffee.

Can you reference Perricone's work? I'm on my way out and would like to read when I get back.

Built
03-22-2006, 02:08 PM
LOL!

Anthony, you seriously look great. If you can get away with your AM fruit juice, go for it. It's definitely one of those YMMV things, like all junk foods. Drink it if you love it. Hell, that's why I eat chocolate. I just don't look for justification that it's healthy (even though there ARE studies, and I like the dark stuff... [/weak attempt at justification])

The book is called "The Perricone Prescription". He's a dermatologist, and devised a diet to make people's skin look better based upon dropping the inflammation response. A side effect of the diet was fat loss, so he re-marketed it as a diet book. Smart guy.

Mik
03-22-2006, 02:20 PM
BUT I NEED IT! :D

Stop your whining and eat your sweet potato! :)

Anthony
03-23-2006, 06:08 AM
Thanks Built. I've recently read that morning citrus is better/more efficient for wake up than caffeine - which backs up my empirical evidence. I've been doing it for years and it's to the point that it's the first thing I plan for when staying some place other than home. I don't have any skin issues (other than needing a tan!), so I'm not worried about that. I will check out the book when I can find some time ... nothing wrong with learning something new. Thanks for the info!

Mik, I had some potato last night and could have taken a nap right there at the table. :(