PDA

View Full Version : (VIDEO)5'11, 141lb, 110s DB Bench Press 3x

SThirteenTurbo
03-21-2006, 11:10 PM
Im looking for a forum that i can get my best possible gains... well heres where im at right now... my goal is to hit up the 125s for 5x and 100s for 12 -15x..
any critiques are welcomed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uckedPfVMbg 110s DB Bench 3x

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyw_gQHK4KI 100s DB Bench 6x

KevinStarke
03-21-2006, 11:16 PM
BB bench

SThirteenTurbo
03-21-2006, 11:20 PM
hmm why is it whenever i post a thread pertaining to DB someone always tell me to do barbells... its like theyre trying to diss my accomplishments... something constructive is a lot better then a one word message....

KevinStarke
03-21-2006, 11:22 PM
Its impressive no doubt but whats the point in pushing your DB bench to the extreme? What about squat and deadlift? You run around BB.com saying youw ant to get bigger but all you ever talk about is your DB bench and making your DB bench better.

Sidior
03-21-2006, 11:22 PM
you want something constructive?....try posting on this forum for a bit before you post vids of yourself wanting everyone to tell you how great you are

SThirteenTurbo
03-21-2006, 11:26 PM
what i actually want is someone to GIVE me a workout schedule... i do a all body workout... people tell me all the time that i need to split it up but i dont know how...

KevinStarke
03-21-2006, 11:29 PM
Well then ask for that, the first thing you post here is videos of you dumbell benching and asking for help on reaching your goal of...

my goal is to hit up the 125s for 5x and 100s for 12 -15x..

SThirteenTurbo
03-21-2006, 11:30 PM
i guess that would be better... i was hoping someone would give me sure fire way to gain incredible amounts of power...

KevinStarke
03-21-2006, 11:31 PM
i was hoping someone would give me sure fire way to gain incredible amounts of power...

Steroids

SThirteenTurbo
03-21-2006, 11:33 PM
naturally... i remember when i got to bb.com i tried that way but whenever id say something id get someone flaming me that all my lifts are bull****... so i figure id get that outta the way from the very beginning and get straight to the point... you know what i mean...

KevinStarke
03-21-2006, 11:38 PM
It was just a random way to introduce yourself is all. Just makes you look like your fishing for compliments. You have some solid strength and if you eat eat eat and follow a solid routine that doesnt involve heavy dumbell benching every 4 days like it shows in your signature then you'd do well.

SThirteenTurbo
03-21-2006, 11:40 PM
why isnt heavy DB lifting good every time you go???

Sidior
03-21-2006, 11:50 PM
read all the stickies on this site and you're golden

smalls
03-22-2006, 01:03 AM
read all the stickies on this site and you're golden

That is a great place to start. Just READ first and 95% of your answers should be answered.

At this point I can give one bit of advice that will help you accomplish all the goals you have posted so far. EAT until you are gaining weight consistently.

Sidior
03-22-2006, 01:07 AM
yes food is key as well lol

Canadian Crippler
03-22-2006, 06:56 AM
Instead of DB Bench on all 3 full body workouts, do DB Bench, Military Press, and Dips (respectively on each workout).

Gutz981
03-22-2006, 07:46 AM
Got some strength there...but where the squat. and dead? I personally I haven't touched a barbell while lying on a bench in a long time. 1.5 months I think its been. I like db benching over BB anyday. But there is more to lifting than DB benches.

Upon review: Gotta say looks like the 110s are gonna shoot you into the mirror when you got up. Ahhhhh good laugh.

Nito
03-22-2006, 08:26 AM
Impressive bro, I think it kind of looks weird that you are lifting your head off the bench when you bring the dumbells down though.

Danpiel
03-22-2006, 08:59 AM
Hmm that begs the question can I do 110lb db flat press? Hmm the most I tried was 75lb.

Maki Riddington
03-22-2006, 09:27 AM
Everybody has one great lift in them. It's the other big ones that count and show that you've developed a well rounded base of strength and/or physique.

Sensei
03-22-2006, 09:46 AM
Well, I'm impressed! You didn't even drop the DBs like most morons do when they use anything over 40s. There are quite a few threads dealing w. bench press in the bodybuilding and powerlifting forums. Do a search there or PM some people - I'm sure you'll find quite a bit that will be helpful.

Danpiel
03-22-2006, 09:48 AM
I drop weights sometimes but how will that make me a moron?

MixmasterNash
03-22-2006, 10:05 AM

If they're not solid DBs, they will get loose and eventually fall apart and injure someone.

To the OP: Strong pressing. You're painfully skinny though, and it doesn't look like you're doing much leg work. Focus on your weakness and become stronger.

Patz
03-22-2006, 06:10 PM
You guys can bitch all you want about whatever you want, but that was incredible. Absolutely incredible.

That kid has the muscle mass of an Auschwitz survivor, and is repping 160% of his bodyweight.

And am I crazy, or was that 4 reps?

Bohizzle
03-22-2006, 06:18 PM
looked like 4 to me, and was very impressive. however, if u want a good routine that will hit ur whole body evenly check out wbb1 in the articles section at www.wannabebig.com. hope that helps.

Andrew

Jinkies
03-22-2006, 06:23 PM
No ones going to tell you thats not an impressive feat, but for the best gains possible barbells where its at for all around strength. You've got almost your bodyweight in each hand, thats amazing

KevinStarke
03-22-2006, 06:26 PM
160%?

MixmasterNash
03-22-2006, 06:53 PM
160%?
156.02836879432624113475177304965%

Geez.

Meat_Head
03-22-2006, 07:28 PM
Very impressive bench pressing strength, especially for your size... nothing else as far as I can tell. It looks like you've been doing ALOT of dumbell benching and eating the exact same amount you did when you started. That doesn't make sense if your goal is to get bigger. You can get your DB bench press up to 150x3 and you won't look an ounce bigger or stronger if you don't start doing hamburger curls.

Did anyone look at any of the 'related' videos(I guess his friends or something)? They're all skinny dudes bench pressing except 1, which is a skinny dude attempting to do shrugs with 140lb dumbells. Why don't these guys eat?!?

ederon
03-22-2006, 09:47 PM
yea, i personally didn't like how this thread started out. He posted a video to give himself some credit that he can lift. No need to say "post more replies" or flame. He proud of what he can do theres nothing wrong with that. Now his trying to look for further knowledge. Now if its just power that you want, you should really look into olympic lifting, and olympic routines. Most gyms won't be able to help you here, theres not a ton of them. Which includes olympic "clean and jerk" equipment. thats the serious route. The other way is changing your workout schedule, personally i would say NO to the all in one body workout you mentioned. Again i am saying personally, for me this allows me to hit and target a muscle per day and allow me to hit it harder than doing a general all in one workout.

Hockey66
03-22-2006, 11:28 PM
That was very impressive.

I don't mean to hi-jack your thread, I'm only posting this because the link is on the same page as the video you posted.

I thought this was impressive as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvw3-y0oszg&search=110lb%20dumbells%20bodybuilding%20benchpress

SThirteenTurbo
03-23-2006, 01:39 AM
honestly i dont believe thats 400lbs.. ive seen 100lb plates and those dont look like them... anyone else believe those are real , if so ill retract my statement..

but since people flame for me for not having a barbell stat i went to the gym this morning to test out my bench... i was really thinking i was gonna struggle but i managed to put up 225 2x fairly easy... i didnt wanna push it since i havent touched a barbell in over 6 months.. i also put up 85s on the incline for about 5x after hitting up the barbell.. dont know if that means much...

KevinStarke
03-23-2006, 04:33 AM
I've seen that video posted other places without the shaky distracting editing and you can plainly see hands grabbing the end of the bar on the right side. Its not real. 6 months and you get 225 x 2 at 141? Thats more impressive than your dumbell benching to me.

SThirteenTurbo
03-23-2006, 04:37 AM
yep 2 times but i knew i couldnt do a third... just fatigued at that point... why is that better then my dumbell presses???

KevinStarke
03-23-2006, 08:30 AM
Because you havnt done it in so long.

Anthony
03-23-2006, 08:35 AM
Is it just me, or do these dumbbells look lighter than 100-110? I'm referring to how they crashed on your chest and also how you walked and racked them. Normally I'm not skeptical of people who post pics/vids, but something seems fishy about those weights.

ederon
03-23-2006, 08:42 AM
i looked at the video a bunch of times myself, at when both of those 110's caved in on you, it didn't seem as if it was much weight at all. its funny though, ive been to a lot of gyms. and i dont know why but some of the older gyms weights feel heavier than when i go to the newer gyms. and also those weights which are rubber, is rather hard to tell how much they really weight. i rather see the dumbell's with the plates. ill post an example

ederon
03-23-2006, 08:45 AM
heres my example
http://thatvideosite.com/view/1478.html
you can dl this,
now this looks and IS 200lbs dumbells, i know this for sure because not only are the weights the same ones i use, (very popular) but also i can count exactly how much it is. Counting the plates.

MJS
03-23-2006, 09:01 AM
You have to get your diet in check if you want to get big. Your diet determines how big or cut you get ... your routine only helps to determine what KIND of big you get.

ElPietro
03-23-2006, 09:14 AM
Is it just me, or do these dumbbells look lighter than 100-110? I'm referring to how they crashed on your chest and also how you walked and racked them. Normally I'm not skeptical of people who post pics/vids, but something seems fishy about those weights.

And maybe he faked the entire rack of weights as well?

HahnB
03-23-2006, 11:05 AM
That's unusual that your barbell bench is only 225 for 2 taking into account your dumbell bench, regardless of whether or not your train your barbell bench at all. My old lifting partner uses 100-110lb dumbells and his bench is over 300lbs.

ElPietro
03-23-2006, 11:24 AM
If you barely bb bench at all, first time is always going to be difficult.

Probably be a huge gain next time out.

HahnB
03-23-2006, 11:34 AM
Oh I may have missed that, I didn't know he's never bb benched. I figured he meant he just doesn't train it that much anymore, either way that's good db strength.

Anthony
03-23-2006, 11:43 AM
And maybe he faked the entire rack of weights as well?

I was just making an observation not an accusation.

twisteddendrite
03-23-2006, 11:51 AM
why isnt heavy DB lifting good every time you go???

I'm impressed with your lifts I think you should gradually incline until your doing seated overhead presses :thumbup:

Benji
03-23-2006, 12:56 PM
i looked at the video a bunch of times myself, at when both of those 110's caved in on you, it didn't seem as if it was much weight at all. its funny though, ive been to a lot of gyms. and i dont know why but some of the older gyms weights feel heavier than when i go to the newer gyms. and also those weights which are rubber, is rather hard to tell how much they really weight. i rather see the dumbell's with the plates. ill post an example

The rubber weights are hard to tell how much they 'really' weigh? what the hell are you trying to say? They are fake?

It shows how much they weigh it has '100lbs' on the side. I would of thought that was a major big indication of how much they 'really' weighed .LOL. Trust me when i say they don't just make them randomly and pack in any amount of weight then ship them off, they will be tested and will be to the exact to the ounce. You just sound bitter and jealous to be honest.

Sensei
03-23-2006, 02:15 PM
We recently had this discussion in the BB forum and I don't want to rehash it here, but (as I said in that thread) if you've ever had a heavy DB rotate in your hand when it's over your face because someone felt it was perfectly ok to drop DBs and bend them, then you understand my frustration.

Deadlifter
03-23-2006, 03:01 PM
Am I the only one that isn't impressed? It's just a skinny bench jockey. If he tried to dumbbell snatch 100 pounds he'd probably tear a rotator cuff, and he'd be lucky to squat bodyweight with good form.

HahnB
03-23-2006, 03:13 PM
Am I the only one that isn't impressed? It's just a skinny bench jockey. If he tried to dumbbell snatch 100 pounds he'd probably tear a rotator cuff, and he'd be lucky to squat bodyweight with good form.

It's still a good lift for his weight.

Meat_Head
03-23-2006, 03:19 PM
Its a good lift for 20% of the muscle mass in his body.

Benji
03-23-2006, 04:49 PM
We recently had this discussion in the BB forum and I don't want to rehash it here, but (as I said in that thread) if you've ever had a heavy DB rotate in your hand when it's over your face because someone felt it was perfectly ok to drop DBs and bend them, then you understand my frustration.

Don't you have allan keys at the gym? Whenever you pick up the dumbell you know straight away if it's lose or not, sometimes they are but tighten them up with the allan keys.. :)

Davidelmo
03-23-2006, 05:05 PM
It's a strong lift but 5"11 @ 141... EAT something, please.

What about the rest of your lifts?

That will show if you're a bench jockey or just freakishly strong.

ederon
03-23-2006, 06:30 PM
The rubber weights are hard to tell how much they 'really' weigh? what the hell are you trying to say? They are fake?

It shows how much they weigh it has '100lbs' on the side. I would of thought that was a major big indication of how much they 'really' weighed .LOL. Trust me when i say they don't just make them randomly and pack in any amount of weight then ship them off, they will be tested and will be to the exact to the ounce. You just sound bitter and jealous to be honest.

I never meant to sound bitter. And no im not jealous, im a bodybuilder, the amount of weight used in any exercise meants squat to me, its the shape of the body that i go for, if its 20lbs that made me grow an inch to my bicep i would do 20's. Anyways Anthony mentioned something about the weights being "fishy", i added that rubber weights could have replaced a sticker, who knows this newcomer? im not saying he can't do the weight, im saying when you have rubber dumbells and you have the ones with the plates, the truth be told, you can not only see the number etched into the side of the dumbell with plates, but you can count them to!

Jorge Sanchez
03-23-2006, 07:24 PM
Despite being a bench jockey, I think 110X3 at 141 is very impressive. I weigh 60+lbs more and I don't think I could do much more than that.

Jinkies
03-23-2006, 08:21 PM
besides all the dumbell talk if your goal is to get bigger, eat more and do the big 3

HelpMeLift
03-23-2006, 08:53 PM
impressive lifts!

and in regards to that 400 x 3 video, that crap is completely fake because 1. as kevin stated you can clearly see a hand on the right side and 2. look at the damn bar after he lifts it... now i know for a fact that even with 3 plates, the bar bends significantly, but look at that bar with almost 4 and it remains as straight as if it was 135 lbs.

i've used weights that are the size of standard 45's are but 10 lbs. i think they're mainly for olympic lifts, but yeah that kid probably used those, which means he struggled to do less than 135 for 3.

SThirteenTurbo
03-23-2006, 09:07 PM
you know im tired of people tellling me the weights look fake blahblah... lol its a no win situation... if i just tell you i can bench that much youd call me a liar and say im bs... but if i show a vid which i did you still call me fake by saying the weights arent as heavy as the ones that have plates... the rubber coated ones are so there arent alot of noise when you rerack or how most people "ACCIDENTLY" drop them... and its also safer since they cant come lose or they hardly ever do... go find a DB and you weigh them ...

Sensei
03-24-2006, 12:30 AM
Don't you have allan keys at the gym? Whenever you pick up the dumbell you know straight away if it's lose or not, sometimes they are but tighten them up with the allan keys.. :)
An allen wrench won't straighten a bent dumbell.

SThirteenTurbo
03-24-2006, 02:32 AM
does anyone know if probolic or muscle milk is better...

Meat_Head
03-24-2006, 08:43 AM
GOD DAMMIT ****ING BALLS!!

DON'T ASK QUESTIONS LIKE THAT!

Eat food. That's all ya gotta do. Probolic muscle milk my ass, if you want a weight gainer or protein supplement be a mammal and drink REAL milk.

Anthony
03-24-2006, 08:57 AM
you know im tired of people tellling me the weights look fake blahblah... lol its a no win situation... if i just tell you i can bench that much youd call me a liar and say im bs... but if i show a vid which i did you still call me fake by saying the weights arent as heavy as the ones that have plates... the rubber coated ones are so there arent alot of noise when you rerack or how most people "ACCIDENTLY" drop them... and its also safer since they cant come lose or they hardly ever do... go find a DB and you weigh them ...

If you are referring to my post, I wasn't calling BS. They look to be the right size, but what REALLY stood out to me was how the weights seemed to move around in your hands a lot easier than what I've seen in person. Maybe it was the angle or lighting or whatever, but it was the first thing I noticed.

Either way, don't take it as an insult. The lift was strong.

Benji
03-24-2006, 09:19 AM

aye that's is true, however that would have to take a hell of a lot of dropping over many years, maybe your gym should invest in some new equipment once in a while! ;)

method115
03-24-2006, 11:47 AM
Yea that was pretty bad ass man I got to admit the head bobbing thing is kinda wierd though. Anyways like everyone else said I would be stuffing my face if I were you I would only switch to barbell presses if you have been doing DB for a long time now. otherwise thier is no reason to switch. I would just do alot of compound workouts eat alot and your str will go up and so wil your mass.

SThirteenTurbo
03-24-2006, 04:05 PM
its so hard to eat as much as i need to... that why i take protien shakes... but anyway i eat alot for my size... but i have a really fast metabolism... and i burn everything off or **** it out... so what am i suppose to do ...

Bohizzle
03-24-2006, 04:07 PM
eat more or try weightgainers.

Jorge Sanchez
03-24-2006, 05:00 PM
You don't eat as much as you think.

Munky
03-24-2006, 06:19 PM
Be positive kid you gotta believe you can gain weight to actually do it.

Davidelmo
03-24-2006, 07:01 PM
its so hard to eat as much as i need to... that why i take protien shakes... but anyway i eat alot for my size... but i have a really fast metabolism... and i burn everything off or **** it out... so what am i suppose to do ...

Track diet on www.fitday.com

If you're not gaining weight, eat more.

Repeat.

:D

method115
03-24-2006, 07:29 PM
Believe man your not eating as much as you can. I used to be 5'11 115-120 pounds I lifted for 1 year with no weight gain because i wasn't eating enough even though I thought I was. Then i started eating every 2 hours just as much as I could ( not to the point that you think your gonna puke though) and my weight has been sky rocketing. I'm putting on alot of fat but im not worried about it cause I know when im ready I can lose the weight easy.
Also fast metabolism is a myth people's metabolism's are all about the same speed.

ederon
03-24-2006, 09:59 PM
just a quick note: most pro bodybuilders that give advice in ther seminars usually tell younger bodybuilders to supplement the extra proteins they need with "protein shakes". They say this because it does help, but they usually suggest later on when you can afford it, to have real food. Usually this can be very expensive. for food anyways.

method115
03-24-2006, 10:09 PM
If you can't get enough protien just eat alot of eggs. Drink them raw I started doing it, it's alot easier then it sounds just mix 3 eggs with a cup of milk some jelly or something to sweeten it up a little ice cream would work to. That should be good enough drink about 3 of thoughs a day.

Clifford Gillmore
03-24-2006, 10:50 PM

Eat 10,000 calories a day.

SThirteenTurbo
03-25-2006, 03:05 AM
ive been gaining a lil every month... nothing dramatic, but its steady lean muscle gains... but i want to gain like 5lbs of pure lean muscle every month...

Organichu
03-25-2006, 05:09 AM
ive been gaining a lil every month... nothing dramatic, but its steady lean muscle gains... but i want to gain like 5lbs of pure lean muscle every month...

Do you like needles?

bill
03-25-2006, 08:54 AM
Nice strength for your size. I equate the db press to a 3 or 4 board press or half ROM on regular bench.
Reason being is the dumbell wt part is only touching your chest decreasing ROM. So in that respect I think a clean BB press is more impressive.

SThirteenTurbo
03-25-2006, 09:42 PM
what do you mean board press... i do full ROM.... on the the flat bench for my 225 2x.. if thats what you were referring to... i barely touch my chest right by my nips, then i push it back up... thats the correct way or do i have something wrong...

Sidior
03-25-2006, 09:48 PM

you just have to buy the magical kind

Alex.V
03-25-2006, 11:31 PM

Your point?

I fail to see the problem with choosing to excel at certain lifts. Have you seen his squat? No. Have you seen his dumbbell snatch? No. Actually, for that matter, does he likely train the dumbbell snatch? Probably not.

Why do you feel the need to disparage somebody's achievements and goals because they don't mesh with your own? That seems more than a little rude, especially when your comments are pure conjecture.

Meat_Head
03-26-2006, 12:33 AM
Your point?

I fail to see the problem with choosing to excel at certain lifts. Have you seen his squat? No. Have you seen his dumbbell snatch? No. Actually, for that matter, does he likely train the dumbbell snatch? Probably not.

Why do you feel the need to disparage somebody's achievements and goals because they don't mesh with your own? That seems more than a little rude, especially when your comments are pure conjecture.

Dude, what is the point of wanting to bench press a kazillion pounds when the rest of your body would snap like a twig? For that matter what's the point of training the bench press hard for a long time (with muscle mass as one of your goals) and not gaining an ounce of muscle, even in the pecs/delts/triceps?

But if that's what he wants, whatever.

SThirteenTurbo
03-26-2006, 03:08 AM
lol step back and take a better look... for my size, height and weight i have pretty good pecs... well thats just my opinion... but either way i notice i am getting bigger, but id rather gain lean muscle mass over fat bulk mass any day....

Clifford Gillmore
03-26-2006, 03:52 AM
Its alot more efficient to add mass in bulk, which does include fat (to a small degree, depending on diet) and then proceed to cut. Its a sacrifice needed to be made, if you are too vain to make the sacrifice - BB is not for you.

Meat_Head
03-26-2006, 12:52 PM
To gain a significant amount of muscle in a relatively short amount of time, you're going to gain a little fat. If you would've been eating enough to gain a pound or two a week while you worked your bench press so much, your pressing muscles would be pretty damn big by now. You should go on a serious bulk in my opinion, you'll like the results.

Canadian Crippler
03-26-2006, 12:59 PM
First off, you don't need to bulk and gain lots of fat to get big. I think I'm an example of that. Even though I was a little fat when I was @ 200.

Personally, I plan to bulk up high and get a little fat. It IS more efficient, IMO. It's not the only way however.

Meat_Head
03-26-2006, 01:06 PM
:withstupi

You can do a slow lean bulk. It takes forever though, you could hope to add maybe a pound or two of lean mass a month, whereas going on a full blown bulk you can get a pound of lean mass every week(if ya do it right).

Patz
03-26-2006, 01:38 PM
I still say the db press he put up, with regard to his bodyweight and height, is absolutely incredible. We should all be taking notes, and training harder now.

bill
03-26-2006, 07:19 PM
No I'm saying when you use big db's and don't bring them out to the sides of your body it decreases the ROM and makes them easier to do. Most myself included do them in this fashion.
Your doing very well, and must have some good strength potential!
My only problem with db's is that you can't (at a certain point) handle enough wt to push your body into new strength. 110 db's equal 220 to me and just say your stablizers are in good shape.

Alex.V
03-26-2006, 07:20 PM
But if that's what he wants, whatever.

You said it best yourself.

ederon
03-26-2006, 08:45 PM
If your not to shy, maybe you could post some pics, see what this db bench press attitude has done to your physique?

SThirteenTurbo
03-27-2006, 02:04 AM
this is a closeup and a normal shot... ill post a before pic too ... this is 8 days of progress i believe im doing pretty well... but i KNOW i can do better...

Bohizzle
03-27-2006, 08:14 AM
cehst delts and arms lookg good, keep growing.

Patz
03-27-2006, 09:11 AM
No I'm saying when you use big db's and don't bring them out to the sides of your body it decreases the ROM and makes them easier to do. Most myself included do them in this fashion.
Your doing very well, and must have some good strength potential!
My only problem with db's is that you can't (at a certain point) handle enough wt to push your body into new strength. 110 db's equal 220 to me and just say your stablizers are in good shape.

I don't agree with this at all. There are plenty of people on this site that can push well in excess of 225 with a barbell, but are repping less than 110's with dumbbells. I can do a single of 225, and I've never repped anything higher than 70 with dumbbells. I'd wager that with a couple months of getting back into it, I could get a few reps with 80's, but that would be my PEAK.

I never had trouble taking the dumbbells down far enough. I actually have more trouble bringing the barbell down all-the-way without feeling like my delts are gonna rip out of place.

SThirteenTurbo
03-27-2006, 12:19 PM
yeah i dont agree with that either... 110's dont equal 220 on a barbell... thats like saying some dude that can bench 600lbs should be able to push up 300lb dumbells haha... thats completely rediculous... dumbells are alot harder then barbells... in barbell your push is 1/2 tris, half chest.. in dumbells id say depending on where the weights are being pushed its closer to 75% chest and the rest tris and shoulder... my first day back to barbell in 6 months i put up 225 2x.... if i trained with barbell for 2 months like ive trained with dumbells id be pushing up 250, but i doubt id be pushing up 125... maybe maybe not..

SThirteenTurbo
03-27-2006, 12:22 PM
naw i think if you trained the way i do on dumbells you'd be able to push 110s also... its just alot of people see the way i train as a bad thing...

Meat_Head
03-27-2006, 12:41 PM
Do you even try to train your back and legs? Do you even try to gain weight? That's why people think how you train is a bad thing.

Your DB press should be alot less than your barbell press. DB's require much more stabilization, a greater range of motion, and less involvement of the triceps(you can't push out on dumbells like you can on a barbell).

Davidelmo
03-27-2006, 03:23 PM
Your chest DOES look good.

Work your squat, deadlift and rows as hard as you work your DB presses and you'll get awesome results.

SThirteenTurbo
03-27-2006, 10:48 PM
im starting to work out my back reall hard.... i should have some nice improvements in a couple months...

Meat_Head
03-28-2006, 01:46 PM
Squat, squat, squat. Deadlift, deadlift, deadlift.

It'll help your back AND chest.. and everything else.

f=ma
03-28-2006, 04:24 PM
how will deading and squatting promote growth in your chest? thats absurd.

can't we just STOP saying that and instead say that a balanced routine is best for overall development? for christs sake....

Davidelmo
03-28-2006, 04:45 PM
Well, there's the argument about squats and deadlifts releasing more GH etc.

I'd venture to say that bench, squats and deads would improve his chest more than bench alone.

But you're right, a balanced routine is by far superior.

Meat_Head
03-28-2006, 05:00 PM
how will deading and squatting promote growth in your chest? thats absurd.

can't we just STOP saying that and instead say that a balanced routine is best for overall development? for christs sake....

You're suggesting that the only way to contribute to a muscle's size is by doing an exercise for which the muscle is the primary mover.

Traps/rhomboids are the antagonist to pecs. A muscle will only progress so far before symmetry becomes a factor. Your body will not strengthen and hypertrophy your pecs forever if the strength of the antagonist is dangerously weak in comparison.

Squats and deadlifts address those antagonists. Of course that only breaks the surface of why they are such effective lifts...

f=ma
03-28-2006, 05:20 PM
sorry, doing only squats and deads will not make your pecs grow as much as doing a full balanced routine

why are you arguing a moot point? we all know a balanced routine is best... come on

SThirteenTurbo
03-28-2006, 06:52 PM
i understand.... but i do in a way believe that doing more back and legs will HELP my chest get stronger but it no way do i believe it will directly help my pecs grow... so now along with my chest workout, i do back as well... my back is fairly weak so im starting with the 50s for dumbell rows... man its tough... i could probably do more but i dont wanna over exert my back since this is a new movement for it...

bill
04-01-2006, 06:41 PM
Well I'm not debating that db are harder than bb. I just said 110+110=220 LOL
I can db press as much or nearly as flat bb.
Even 225 for reps at his bw is good though.

mark27
04-01-2006, 08:03 PM
First of all theres a few jealous "haters in here". Secondly theres nothing wrong with being proud of a lift and posting a vid or even bragging a little bit.
I mean my gym only goes to 100 lb dbs and i do 5x5 on them and im 6`1 195.
Which means i look skinny in clothes. And my metabalism is very quick and i have to support my kid so i dont have money to buy alot of food to bulk.
Contantly and i mean at leat 3 times a week ill have some 240-250 pound out of shape guy db benching 75's or w/e coming up to me and saying that i need to eat more to get big, and not to focus on showing off, or something in that manner. Lot of jealous heads out there thats all. Not that i think 100lb dbs is impressive for my wieght but it is for this kids.

Keep doing what your doing and if you have the money bulk up for a bit and use fitday like some1 above said. Also look into the search feature using the words "routines" or w/e. gl

JamesBOMB
04-01-2006, 11:58 PM
wow im like twice your size and could only manage 120x6. someones slacking on there lifting! (me) nice job

Canadian Crippler
04-02-2006, 12:33 AM
sorry, doing only squats and deads will not make your pecs grow as much as doing a full balanced routine

why are you arguing a moot point? we all know a balanced routine is best... come onHe never said it would. He said doing a bench press and dips along with squats and deads would be more effective than bench press and dips without squats and deads, or any other crazy yo-yo chest program that doesnt have squats and deads.

Stumprrp
04-02-2006, 10:54 AM
thats impressive dude! but how the hell are 50 lb rows hard if you can press that much? thats more then me man.

Goodwinm
04-02-2006, 04:14 PM
Im looking for a forum that i can get my best possible gains... well heres where im at right now... my goal is to hit up the 125s for 5x and 100s for 12 -15x..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uckedPfVMbg 110s DB Bench 3x

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyw_gQHK4KI 100s DB Bench 6xvery impressive. :clap: 50 kilograms each arm. Really is super. Just focus on other areas to mipress too now mate ;)
Your stronger than you look dude. (please take that as a compliment) no offence intended!! But yes, like other posters have said, make sure your deadliftin and squattin. Whats your max sqauts and deads? also military press

SThirteenTurbo
04-03-2006, 05:15 AM
because you dont use your chest, tris, front deltoids doing dumbell rows... you use ur back and a lil bis, and rear delts...

Stumprrp
04-03-2006, 07:06 AM
yeah i know that, but still bro, well keep at it i guess

SThirteenTurbo
04-08-2006, 04:45 AM
im doing alot more in dumbell rows now that im starting to do back more... im getting alot more definition.. in a couple months ill post new pics... and hopefully a 120 db bench video... haha

Thomas
04-08-2006, 06:04 AM
omg no offence dude but your quite skinny, how the hell did you lift that? you must have extremely strong muscle tissue

Davidelmo
04-08-2006, 07:29 AM
thats impressive dude! but how the hell are 50 lb rows hard if you can press that much? thats more then me man.

Probably just because he's never done them before and his chest and back are WAY out of balance.

I reckon you should be able to pull as much as you push.. (my bench sucks but for good reason)

Meat_Head
04-08-2006, 02:14 PM
You should be able to pull more than you push. The muscles of the back are more numerous and bigger/stronger than the pressing muscles.

Davidelmo
04-08-2006, 02:49 PM
You should be able to pull more than you push. The muscles of the back are more numerous and bigger/stronger than the pressing muscles.

Oh well then! :cool:

OP, you'd better get rowing!

JamesBOMB
04-08-2006, 10:16 PM
Theres no way I can row more than I can bench, are you nuts?

deeder
04-08-2006, 11:58 PM

I do.

SThirteenTurbo
04-09-2006, 12:09 AM
so ur saying all these professional bodybuilders should be able to dumbell row like 200lb DBs... and all these guy who bench 500+ bench press should be able to barbell row 500+ lbs also...

Goodwinm
04-09-2006, 12:10 AM
im with JamesBOMB on this one! Christ, if u could row as much as I bench, id be pretty damn strong.
a 230-240lb row. Damn! lol. It wud be very impressive though.

Meat_Head
04-09-2006, 01:19 AM
The only thing close to an antagonist to the bench press is a supported barbell row. For alot of people the spine erectors fatigue fast, and their pulling strength is hindered. But in the bench press, the back is supported...

If you trained your rows as much as bench presses, I bet you could row more than you bench!

Sidior
04-09-2006, 02:00 AM
I row alot more than I bench

Gutz981
04-09-2006, 08:28 AM
I dunno about the row more than you bench thing. My best row was 205X10 and thats cake for me on bench. And I have a very well rounded routine I favor no muscle group over another.

Stumprrp
04-09-2006, 09:34 AM
i can row more then i bench, my best rep bench is 245 x 2 and my best BB row WITH SOME ENGLISH is 295 x 3, but not jumping as ive seen some people do it.

KevinStarke
04-09-2006, 09:55 AM
I can row nearly what I bench :(

JamesBOMB
04-09-2006, 01:36 PM
For you people that row more than you bench, your bench obviously sucks.

My best bench this year was 300x5
My best row was 240x6

Id like to see someone row 350-400.

Now, If I been training back for as long as I have chest, its possible I could have the SAME weight for row and chest, but I doubt I could ever pass it

Meat_Head
04-09-2006, 01:47 PM
lol you effectively identified the problem with your last comment, you've trained your bench presses way more than rows and they're stronger as a result.

I know at least 3 people have posted a video of a row in excess of 300-400lbs on these forums

JamesBOMB
04-09-2006, 04:16 PM
Its a never ending argument. If your back is stronger you can easily say you neglected your chest.

Natetaco
04-09-2006, 05:41 PM
thats some very impressive db press man. my max is 225x1 on barbell and the most i have ever db benched is 80x5, keep it up and start dead'n and squat'n and you will be big

FighterInSnatch
04-09-2006, 05:55 PM
I'm impressed. Keep up the big lifts.

Ryan

SThirteenTurbo
04-17-2006, 06:27 AM
man being sick makes working out 10x harder.... man it sucks....

debussy
04-17-2006, 04:56 PM
Who the **** cares what he can db bench... am I the only one noticed that his arms and legs look like sticks? Eat some food and do something other than bench. He could be db benching 130 for all I care... I still won't be impressed.

KarateBoy
04-17-2006, 05:14 PM
Who the **** cares what he can db bench... am I the only one noticed that his arms and legs look like sticks? Eat some food and do something other than bench. He could be db benching 130 for all I care... I still won't be impressed.

So for you size > strength?

I know this is Wanna Be Big but come on....:boring:

Meat_Head
04-17-2006, 05:20 PM
Its a never ending argument. If your back is stronger you can easily say you neglected your chest.

No, you really couldn't.

Bench pressing utilizes about 20% of the muscle in your body. I'd say a row utilizes at least 60% in some way or another. Think of the muscles that are involved in a row... the enormous lats, enormous and dense traps/rhomboids, enormous spine erectors, the entire forearm and biceps, delts(mainly posterior), and for stabilizations hamstrings and glutes. Those muscles are stronger than the pecs, anterior delts, and triceps any day unless you have an imbalance.

debussy
04-17-2006, 05:22 PM
KB:
Uhhh yeah that's exactly what I meant. You're awesome at twisting my words. Who the hell are you anyway? Let me guess... you're probably 140lbs as well and think this kid is godly. ****in kid.

While I was harsh... my point was get some size. 5'11" 140 and you don't live in a third world country? That makes me sick. BTW, your body consists of more than just your pecs. If was to do just one exercise... I'd overhead squat.

Natetaco
04-17-2006, 06:10 PM
KB:
Uhhh yeah that's exactly what I meant. You're awesome at twisting my words. Who the hell are you anyway? Let me guess... you're probably 140lbs as well and think this kid is godly. ****in kid.

While I was harsh... my point was get some size. 5'11" 140 and you don't live in a third world country? That makes me sick. BTW, your body consists of more than just your pecs. If was to do just one exercise... I'd overhead squat.

yeah dude chill out, is it that time of the month or what?

SThirteenTurbo
04-19-2006, 04:25 AM
well debus some people are just naturally lean with very little fat.... while others have alot of fat and wish they were lean.... id rather be lean and gain pure clean bulk rather then get all fat then try to slim down... stretch marks yuck....

Stumprrp
04-19-2006, 05:48 AM
what are your goals dude, to get big or to train for strength? if its for strength then keep doing what you are doing just hit all the body parts evenly. alot of people are different, my max bench is a pathetic 245 yet my max barbell row is 300 x 6, everyone is different and you should train how you want to train, end of story.

KarateBoy
04-27-2006, 06:52 PM
KB:

Both your assumption are wrong. But I'm not going to argue with you over the internet.

All I was saying is give credit where its due.

Good luck with with your goals.

brian136
04-28-2006, 01:11 AM
hmmm well while i think the weight movement is impressive.. to be honest who really cares??? not trying to put you down but i would rather be my size and db press 25lb dbs than be 60lbs lighter and press 200lb dbs..

lets all be honest here.. most people here lift to be big or to look good... unless you are a powerlifter than moving a certain amount of weight is completely unimportant.

i mean would you rather be 245lbs and 6% body fat but only db press 65lbs OR
be 135lbs and db press 150lbs??????????

i mean we can take a poll but im pretty sure we already know what 99% of our answers will be...

bottom line is if your trying to impress people on this forum then i doubt your gonna do it being 140lbs... this is www.wannabebig.com not www.wannabeskinnyandstrong.com

SThirteenTurbo
04-28-2006, 04:28 AM
this isnt a strictly bodybuilding forum... there are powerlifters here too... and i wholeheartedly believe that there are a hell of a lot of people who want to lift heavy and take pride in what they can do....

Chubrock
04-28-2006, 07:42 AM
hmmm well while i think the weight movement is impressive.. to be honest who really cares??? not trying to put you down but i would rather be my size and db press 25lb dbs than be 60lbs lighter and press 200lb dbs..

lets all be honest here.. most people here lift to be big or to look good... unless you are a powerlifter than moving a certain amount of weight is completely unimportant.

i mean would you rather be 245lbs and 6% body fat but only db press 65lbs OR
be 135lbs and db press 150lbs??????????

i mean we can take a poll but im pretty sure we already know what 99% of our answers will be...

bottom line is if your trying to impress people on this forum then i doubt your gonna do it being 140lbs... this is www.wannabebig.com not www.wannabeskinnyandstrong.com

I'd agree with Turbo here man. We do have quite a large sport/powerlifting crowd around these boards. I'd go out on a limb and say that they'd make the sacrifice of any size to be able to put up huge weight proportional to their on bw. I for one would rather be 135lbs and strong than 245lbs and a puss. Maybe that's just me though? People like KevinStarke, I'd assume, would sacrifice 25lbs of bodyweight if it bumped his strength up to an even larger amount than it is now.

KevinStarke
04-28-2006, 08:10 AM
this isnt a strictly bodybuilding forum... there are powerlifters here too... and i wholeheartedly believe that there are a hell of a lot of people who want to lift heavy and take pride in what they can do....

Powerlifters dont give a rats ass what they DB bench man the only thing that matters are the big 3....

BB Bench..
BB Squat..
BB Deadlift..

Its fun and productive to have other goals yes but to base your training completely on what you DB bench doesnt make you a powerlifter it makes you a... dumbell presser?

Oh and Chub... If I didnt use them for leg drive I would probably cut my legs off at the knees to drop the weight to make it in to 148 class with the same bench I have now.

Clifford Gillmore
04-28-2006, 08:35 AM
Oh and Chub... If I didnt use them for leg drive I would probably cut my legs off at the knees to drop the weight to make it in to 148 class with the same bench I have now.

You don't need your toes.. Shall I get the hack saw?

KevinStarke
04-28-2006, 09:01 AM
I'll get the whiskey

Chris Rodgers
04-28-2006, 10:13 PM
I'm too lazy to read this whole thread, so I read the first and last page after I watched the vid.

First off, that is a damn impressive display of strength. I have never tried more than the 100's personally and I even sucked with those.

Second, you are so skinny you make me look big, lol. Thanks for that. I'm huge. :P

Canadian Crippler
04-28-2006, 11:33 PM
Just to clarify, there's nothing wrong with being skinny and strong on this site. You aren't strong though, you just have a good db bench. What do you squat, dead, row?

And guys, ignore debussy. It's that time of the year (he has months of angst).

brian136
04-29-2006, 05:10 PM
i dont think there is anything wrong with it either... i was not trying to attack the op just pointing out why his post may not have gone over as well as he expected... its not really waht this site is geared towards... and yes there are powerlifters here... however his post would have gone over better on a powerlifting site perhaps

either way good lifts.... now as to be expected from this site " GO EAT SOMETHING "

Goodwinm
04-29-2006, 05:13 PM
Youve got the strength dude :) gr8 strength. Now with some size you will be considered fearless on the streets!! hehe ;) (asuming your other lifts are up to par with ur dumbell presses)

SThirteenTurbo
04-30-2006, 03:37 AM
you know my bro says that you dont need to lift heavy weights in order to get big... you just need to do slow and strict form and the weight will pile on.... well i dont know what im trying to say but yeah... lost for words... so many damn haters there are....

Goodwinm
04-30-2006, 04:43 AM
you know my bro says that you dont need to lift heavy weights in order to get big... you just need to do slow and strict form and the weight will pile on.... well i dont know what im trying to say but yeah... lost for words... so many damn haters there are....
yep. Get used to them. (haters i mean)

SThirteenTurbo
04-30-2006, 08:12 AM
the most rediculous thing i find is that people have such a hard time believing that i can get up with the weights and then rerack them without having to drop the weights first... its momentum for me since im tall and light it just flings me up... gravity is a wonderful thing... but one word of caution, for those of you who are gonna try it im not sure how super heavy people will fare trying to rerack it like this..

KevinStarke
04-30-2006, 09:33 AM
Its not that people are hating on you because they think your weak, your db bench and chest in general is indeed strong. It just seems ridiculous to some people to be focusing so much on one lift, a lift as insignificant as DB bench especially. You should be proud of your DB bench and all but you should try to improve everything, theres many more muscles on the body than the chest and more important lifts than bench...

more important than bench... I cant believe I just said that..

SThirteenTurbo
05-01-2006, 04:20 AM
theyre hating on me by saying my vid is fake, thus meaning im weak because in their mind theres no way i can push up these weights... thats why i say theyre hating....

KevinStarke
05-01-2006, 08:01 AM
Your physique hardly screams "I can bench 100 lb dumbells" which is why some people are probably skeptical but I mean honestly guys, who would switch the stickers?

JaCelica2k
05-01-2006, 10:18 AM
theyre hating on me by saying my vid is fake, thus meaning im weak because in their mind theres no way i can push up these weights... thats why i say theyre hating....

I have seen lots of people ask and so far I have not seen a response.......What are your other lifts like? Squat? Deadlift? # of pullups? weighted? Dips?

-TIM-
05-01-2006, 03:59 PM
theyre hating on me by saying my vid is fake, thus meaning im weak because in their mind theres no way i can push up these weights... thats why i say theyre hating....Anthony wasn't trying to call you out by saying the video appeared a little fishy. What he noticed is that you moved around 110 db's with a relative amount of ease. Guys 2 and 3 times your size that db press 110's have a hard time moving around that much weight. And most people have a spotter help get that much weight into position. You seemed to get them into place without much trouble, and spring up when you were done. If anything, take his questioning as a compliment.

-TIM-
05-01-2006, 04:01 PM
Your physique hardly screams "I can bench 100 lb dumbells" which is why some people are probably skeptical but I mean honestly guys, who would switch the stickers?I would. I would also wear really tight shorts to make my bulge look bigger.

Meat_Head
05-01-2006, 04:15 PM
And most people have a spotter help get that much weight into position. You seemed to get them into place without much trouble, and spring up when you were done. If anything, take his questioning as a compliment.

This kinda confused me to. It looked like it took nothing to kick back 110's into position, which is very suprising considering the size of his arms(and upperbody in general). It takes alot of strength to do that w/ out a spotter! I think you need to go on a good long, BALANCED bulk SThirteen, you'd be very happy with the results!

SThirteenTurbo
05-02-2006, 12:59 AM
you know i just cant bulk... in order for me to get the amount of protein and other stuff that is advised i need to eat or drink a huge amount of stuff... i feel uncomfortable after trying to get that much food into my stomach... i mostly just drink shakes...

Nosaj
05-02-2006, 03:45 AM
you know i just cant bulk... in order for me to get the amount of protein and other stuff that is advised i need to eat or drink a huge amount of stuff... i feel uncomfortable after trying to get that much food into my stomach... i mostly just drink shakes...

Dude, you weigh a buck forty and you think you have to eat too much to bulk? Hahaha. You just made my day, thanks for that.

SThirteenTurbo
05-02-2006, 06:46 AM
my stomach is too small to eat all that food... and i work so much i dont have time to eat 5-6 meals a day.... i rely on protein shakes for my nutrients and protein....

Clifford Gillmore
05-02-2006, 07:23 AM
my stomach is too small to eat all that food... and i work so much i dont have time to eat 5-6 meals a day.... i rely on protein shakes for my nutrients and protein....

Stretch your stomach every meal you eat.
I work 80+ hours a week, I eat 7 times a day - 8 if I feel like it.
Shakes can have over 1300 calories in them.

JaCelica2k
05-02-2006, 07:52 AM

Why is it you have time to respond but not to my question?

I have seen lots of people ask and so far I have not seen a response.......What are your other lifts like? Squat? Deadlift? # of pullups? weighted? Dips?

Meat_Head
05-02-2006, 11:40 AM

Bull****.

That's all there is to it! You aren't a special case, your body isn't very different from anyone elses on this forum. If you eat an excess of calories you will gain weight, and your body will adapt and get used to using that many cals. No one is gonna do it for you, its your choice. I don't see what the point of you posting here or working out is if you don't want to learn and really make PROGRESS.

SpecialK
05-02-2006, 01:44 PM
This thread is yet another example of why a minimum post count should be required to post pics or vids. At least then it would give the member a chance to establish themselves and learn a thing or two (or a few hundred) before immediately going to post pics.

Almost all of these pic threads where the poster makes posting pics their first post end in a flame war. I'm surprised the mods haven't shut this one down yet.

I thought the minimum post count to post pics was supposed to have been implemented awhile ago.

Davidelmo
05-02-2006, 01:53 PM
Dude, try 4000kcal a day.. you CAN do it.
Peanut butter, olive oil, whey protein, milk, nuts

Go for it!

SThirteenTurbo
05-02-2006, 08:43 PM
hey man 4000k cal a day would kill my kidneys.... i dont wanna end up like arnold strapped to a dialysis machine...

KarateBoy
05-02-2006, 08:48 PM
hey man 4000k cal a day would kill my kidneys.... i dont wanna end up like arnold strapped to a dialysis machine...

WHAT THE **** ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!

How will it kill your kidneys?!!

Listen, Last year I was 140lbs and 5'11. Right now I'm 165 lbs at 6'0''

To bulk from 155 to165 i needed 5500-6000 calories A DAY. I WILL NOT let you say that your metabolism is faster then mine. I can maintain at 5000 cals/ day on a decent lifting day!!

You want to gain mass you have to eat and lose your fear of being fat. You won't get fat. Don't post ignorance please :)

brian136
05-02-2006, 11:51 PM

is this not enough to lock this thread?!?!?!?!?!

i would post more but i have to get back to the hospital for yet another kidney transplant.

JaCelica2k
05-03-2006, 04:52 AM

Why is it you have time to respond but not to my question?

SThirteenTurbo
05-03-2006, 08:48 AM
man it was joke , jeez whys everyone so uptight??? my friend just said that while he was next to me, so i thought i would be funny if posted that... and by the way brian im sure you'd love for my thread to get locked... quit hating, for some reason you always seem to gravitate to my thread... you just love to hate huh????

SThirteenTurbo
05-03-2006, 08:50 AM
i wish there was a way you can ban specific members from posting on your threads.... that would make EVERYONE happy...

Narcissus
05-03-2006, 10:24 AM
my gym here in LA has those exact Iron Grip dumbbells - those are definitely the 110s.

Keith
05-03-2006, 12:00 PM
man it was joke , jeez whys everyone so uptight??? my friend just said that while he was next to me, so i thought i would be funny if posted that... and by the way brian im sure you'd love for my thread to get locked... quit hating, for some reason you always seem to gravitate to my thread... you just love to hate huh????

Sarcasm isnt really an easy thing to read over the internet. So if it really was a joke, then try to make that clear. And why cant you answer JaCelica2k, what are your other lifts?

Meat_Head
05-03-2006, 12:37 PM
Cause he doesn't have other lifts dude! DB bench is all! Who needs anything else?

This was established earlier in the thread, but I understand you not wanting to plunge through it all..

SThirteenTurbo
05-04-2006, 03:11 AM
after im tired of doing bench, ill do my legs and make them the equivalent of what i can do with my bench... what would that be anyway???

KevinStarke
05-04-2006, 05:10 AM
Squat... but why not just do EVERYTHING, every week?

SThirteenTurbo
05-04-2006, 07:53 AM
hey kevin

if i can push up 110s on DB and push up 225 3x on bar what would be a good number to squat???

Clifford Gillmore
05-04-2006, 07:54 AM
405 would be pretty rocking.

JaCelica2k
05-04-2006, 08:52 AM
Maybe 250. ATF RAW

KevinStarke
05-04-2006, 09:03 AM
Everyones different, last time I went heavy with DB bench was last summer and I got 120's x 6 and I squat 415. Just start squatting and the numbers will go up, a solid 315+ maybe.

SThirteenTurbo
05-20-2006, 07:39 AM
holy crap i never noticed how hard it is to get your legs jumpstarted after not doing anything serious with it ever.. i always relied on soccer to keep my legs in shape... all that running makes your legs strong and toned.... legs and weights is a whole new animal... i just might have some fun with this....

KevinStarke
05-20-2006, 10:14 AM
Have fun with it man squats and deads are great.

Clifford Gillmore
05-20-2006, 10:59 AM
holy crap i never noticed how hard it is to get your legs jumpstarted after not doing anything serious with it ever.. i always relied on soccer to keep my legs in shape... all that running makes your legs strong and toned.... legs and weights is a whole new animal... i just might have some fun with this....

Thats a great attitude to have!

Gutz981
05-20-2006, 03:04 PM
Yeah until he sets foot into the squat rack. its not fun...and if it is...your not doing it hard enough.

Stumprrp
05-20-2006, 03:44 PM
Yeah until he sets foot into the squat rack. its not fun...and if it is...your not doing it hard enough.

i guess i am a freak because squats are always fun to me :D

Clifford Gillmore
05-21-2006, 12:07 AM
I like the feeling of being crushed?

Meat_Head
05-21-2006, 02:19 PM
Soccer doesn't make your legs strong...

Goodwinm
05-21-2006, 03:06 PM
Soccer doesn't make your legs strong...
well, I believe that sentence needs to be extended.

Soccer doesn't make your legs stronger than weight training them does.

playing Soccer. Well football where I live, does strengthten legs, of course it does. But not like sqautting does.

Meat_Head
05-21-2006, 03:31 PM
It'll make them stronger, sure. But does soccer build STRONG legs? I don't think so.

Goodwinm
05-21-2006, 03:40 PM
It'll make them stronger, sure. But does soccer build STRONG legs? I don't think so.
nope doesnt build STRONG legs ;)

SThirteenTurbo
05-23-2006, 01:38 AM
i bet you if you made a test and it involved two athletes... 1 squatted and ran as his workout, while the other ONLY squatted.. im pretty sure the one that ran too will have alot STRONGER legs then the guy who didnt run...

Clifford Gillmore
05-23-2006, 02:40 AM
It would depend on what the test was. If the test was a sprint, the athlete who ran would more than likely win. If the test was a ME Squat, the squatter would win with his adequete recovery time for his legs.

SThirteenTurbo
06-12-2006, 06:22 AM
hey guys after thinking about what my flat bench max is i decided to test it out... so after 2 months of not even touching a barbell on a bench... i pushed 255 up once... ive finally benched 100lbs over my weight... lol...woOt!!!

KevinStarke
06-12-2006, 06:23 AM
Very impressive man, you should get a video of that like you did your DB bench man.

Progress
06-12-2006, 06:48 AM
... and maybe a video of you eating a calorie dense meal. :D

Natetaco
06-12-2006, 08:07 AM
or maybe a video of you doing something besides bench press.

Danpiel
06-12-2006, 10:52 AM
Dude do you want to be a power lifter?

SThirteenTurbo
06-12-2006, 12:19 PM
sometimes yes and sometimes no.... if i do decide i want to im going to go all balls on it... but if not ill just continue lifting the way ive always been doing it....

biggimp
06-12-2006, 12:27 PM
you will always get your ass kicked in a fight if you work only your arms. even if you bench 400lbs, if you cant even squat 200, your punches will have no power.

just putting that out there because the only reason i can think of for somebody to do bench press only is so they can be "tough"

KevinStarke
06-12-2006, 12:32 PM
He's got plenty of DB bench vids but i wanna see these bb benches on vids please

mike831
06-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Just read the whole thread and I'm wondering how you're progressing since you first posted this thread from about three months back. Did you take the other's advice and eat more and gain any weight and what's your routine look like? Also, how much do you squat and deadlift?

That's some crazy DB pressing too.

Meat_Head
06-12-2006, 05:17 PM
sometimes yes and sometimes no.... if i do decide i want to im going to go all balls on it... but if not ill just continue lifting the way ive always been doing it....

No... you DON'T want to be a powerlifter. Powerlifters train more than a quarter of the musculature in their body, you do not.

SThirteenTurbo
06-13-2006, 04:05 AM
hey man jus because i dont squat or dead dont mean i dont work out my back or legs... and by the way i do a FULL body workout every time im in the gym.. so i think thats more then a 1/4 of my body...

Meat_Head
06-13-2006, 10:09 AM
How do you complete a full body workout without squats or deadlifts? Anyway... you CAN'T be a powerlifter without putting alot of time and effort into those lifts.

sdre
06-13-2006, 11:42 AM
hey all, jus wanna add a couple of stuff here.

i was 165 last year sept 2005, i'm currently 207 now. yeap, mass gainer, lotsa food, protein etc... and i'm asian too. :) i'm chinese actually, singaporean to be exact. (perhaps, asians have a smaller frame built ++) i'm 6'0 as well.

hmmn, i think its a good strong lift, 50kg each hand, mine's like 25kg at most. 10 reps.

but i'm on the side of the big 3 here. i started gymming in sept 2005, and all i did was shoulder workouts, bicep workouts and the occasional chest. (my goal was to look better in clothes and of course charm the ladies ;) )

i didn't do legs nor deads nor squats nor benching(not much anyway)

stumbling upon this website, i was encouraged to start on deads/squats and more benching. boy, did i explode... i'm kinda shy, don't really wanna show some pictures... cause i'm still bulking and my arms are still quite skinny, 16 inches flexed :(

but yeah if u want strength and u wanna grow, do the big 3. bench squat and deads. i started rugby in uni, and the big 3 gave me more strength as a loose forward. going up against a 300 pounder at full pace issn't fun if ya "nice to look at" but weak on the insides.

p.s when i do deads, esp my maximal effort of 350 x 1... i just lift and hold it there for 4-6 seconds. my whole upper body is contracted and tight. everything is going red. my chest is flexed and just about everything up there is flexed. i believe my chest would be "affected" in some way or rather with deads. along with shoulders, arms etc.

cheers.

KevinStarke
06-13-2006, 01:07 PM
hey man jus because i dont squat or dead dont mean i dont work out my back or legs... and by the way i do a FULL body workout every time im in the gym.. so i think thats more then a 1/4 of my body...

Leg Extentions and 5" ROM leg presses arent gonna do anything for your legs. Your not a powerlifter your a bencher.

d'Anconia
06-13-2006, 06:59 PM
LOL, this is some funny stuff.

I don't get why there is so much resistance to do squats and deads, I especially love deads.

Natetaco
06-13-2006, 09:36 PM
hes just another bench jockey like 99% of the kids at my school and the ymca.

-TIM-
06-13-2006, 09:54 PM
I can't believe this thread is still going.

SThirteenTurbo
06-14-2006, 04:43 AM
hey starke just cuz i dont do squats dont mean my legs arent being worked... and i dont do just 5 inch rom lol... trust me when i say this im all about full ROM.... I HATE IT WHEN I SEE GUYS DOING THINGS HALF ASS... all the way down all the way up.... heh i just started doing my legs and if you expect me to just go straight into squatting with my legs not ready then you give some bad advice.. atleast i work my legs not like ALOT of people who have massive upper body but are walkin on stilts...

Sidior
06-14-2006, 06:14 AM
hey starke just cuz i dont do squats dont mean my legs arent being worked... and i dont do just 5 inch rom lol... trust me when i say this im all about full ROM.... I HATE IT WHEN I SEE GUYS DOING THINGS HALF ASS... all the way down all the way up.... heh i just started doing my legs and if you expect me to just go straight into squatting with my legs not ready then you give some bad advice.. atleast i work my legs not like ALOT of people who have massive upper body but are walkin on stilts...

If you can sit down to ****, you can squat. Just begin with lighter weights.

KevinStarke
06-14-2006, 07:49 AM
Anyone can start squatting, even if its just the bar is a great movment. Anyone can start deadlifting too. Do some reading, learn some form, and do it. Your making as many excuses as the guy who wont bench to his chest and jinkies who refuses to post a video of massive feats of strength with or without a suit, he cant decide if he uses it or not.

Stumprrp
06-14-2006, 09:29 AM
i think this thread really needs to be closed

ok, so your a great bench presser, your 141 and you bench 255, thats more then me and im 200 lbs, but i can squat a ton of weight, you need to start to squat you wont get hurt, and your bench will go up also! so why not start.

Anthony
06-14-2006, 09:52 AM
Everyone is just going in circles now. This thread is closed.