PDA

View Full Version : I'm a college student, and I don't cook. How do I maintain a good diet?

twocommas
03-24-2006, 01:54 AM
I live in the dorms at my school, so therefore I don't cook my own meals. Are there any good on the go items that can replace the "poached egg" or "lean pice of fish"? Are there any tips that any more experienced weight lifters have who might be in he same situation?

brickt.
03-24-2006, 02:08 AM
Get yourself a Forman Grill and do some covert cooking in your room.

Clifford Gillmore
03-24-2006, 02:12 AM
Signed. A Forman or an electric frying pan. I like the fry pan, you can't do eggs on a Foreman.

SilverYello
03-24-2006, 11:40 AM
I was in the same situation. A trip to Target for the foreman, and a trip to the grocery for 6lbs of chicken did the trick. (for a few days, untill I ran out of chicken) :)

McIrish
03-25-2006, 09:46 PM
Actually, though I'm a huuuuuge fan of the Foreman, if you're worried about the legality of having a Foreman, just get a small blender (usually <$20 at Target, etc.) and make shakes. Buy oats, whey, PB, bananas... voila. Then get yourself a Foreman. :)

PoutineEh
03-27-2006, 07:49 AM
or you can bulk during the school year, cut during the summer. cafeteria food is easy to bulk on, hard to cut on since you cant control what they serve. thats what im doing

Duffman
03-27-2006, 09:35 AM
im in the same situation and tuna fish is easy to store and make since all you have to have is a can opener and its about 35 grams of protein per can.

Bob
03-27-2006, 10:44 AM
Nitrean, Nuts, Tuna, Peanut Butter... all this is dry and works..
I think all colleges allow at least a refrig these days.. stock up on Milk..

Then push the limits with a Microwave and Forman grill...

HoTShoT_KiD
03-27-2006, 11:07 AM
It somewhat depends on what you are doing (i.e. bulking or cutting) but really it just comes down to putting forth the extra effort. One route you could take is eating the cafeteria food, albeit, it's not the best choice, but they are calories. If you have a minifridge, stock up on milk, it will and should be your best friend. Like others stated, things like nuts, tuna, peanut butter, oats, bananas, olive oil and others should be quite helpful. If you dont mind going out and getting the foreman go out and spend the money and cook up some meat. Also, i find protein shakes to be extremely important when i find myself running low on calories for the day and i dont feel like eating real food. It is somewhat more difficult due to lack of resources but you just gotta make do with what you have. Hope this helps. :nod:

kkwik1212
03-27-2006, 11:10 AM
Tuna and canned chicken breast is relatively cheap and easy to eat.

Spence
03-27-2006, 11:15 AM
I remember res cafeteria food. But I managed to find some pretty decent foods...you can't get eggs?? sandwhiches (all depending of course...processed meats/cheese or good stuff?? probably the former unfortunately). It's definitely hard but not impossible I found; though the Foreman grill (I wish I had thought of that!) sounds awesome. The blender was a savior for me! Frozen berries, some bananas, yogurt, oats, whey and you've got yourself a tasty beverage my friend! Plus get cartons of milk and OJ from the cafeteria along with the bananas and stuff (that way you're not spending extra for things you can get there9. It'll work.... Just might take a lot of patience.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
03-27-2006, 11:29 AM
You could always...learn to cook. That's what I decided to do when I realized..."Hey...I can't cook s***!"

True story.

Keith
03-27-2006, 10:01 PM
Haha, yes im starting to realizing that right now. Right now I have mommy cooking my meals for me. Well, dinner at least. You really should learn to cook though, itll be good for you. Especially if you consider purchasing a foreman grill which is a great idea. Eat up!