PDA

View Full Version : Fat powerlifter getting lean

JustinASU
03-24-2006, 12:31 PM
Currently weigh about 250 at 18% bf. My pants are screaming from the mass (in my belly). I like to use every excuse in the book not to eat healthy or diet, but the one I mostly latch on to is: I'm a powerlifter. I train for strength.

Inside every powerlifter there lies a tiny, lean, little body builder. The bodybuilder tells you things like "Don't eat that, fatty" and mostly just gives you guilt trips on a daily basis.

Well the words whispered from the bodybuilder inside of me have finally gotten to me. I'm tired of the high bodyfat, but I'm hesistant to give up my ways, because eating=strength. I do not count cals but my daily cals average anywhere from 4500-7000 (very rough estimate). I cut once, two years ago, and gave up at 11%. I'm probably the worst cutter you've ever seen. I cannot stand plain chicken breasts or tuna. In general, a clean bodybuilder diet makes me sick.

I'm looking for advice from other powerlifters/strength trainees. I need reassurance that this cut won't kill my poundages. I need to know if a cut is even worth my time. And I need ideas. I want to know what I can do to start shedding the bodyfat without have to eat chicken breasts and broccoli 8x a day. *vomit*

There you have it. Opionions? Experiences? General advice?

HILL
03-24-2006, 01:03 PM
Ive been cutting since september. Not naturally just on 250mg of test a week so im not sure wether ull want to have a look at my journal or not however im down 34 pound since then and i havnt lost any strength the first 2 months were natural and i didnt realy loose any strength. I also hate chicken breast and prefer to have protein powder and olive oil as my smaller meals with a protein shake and peantur butter for breakfast and sandwich for lunch and stake for tea. Im hungry but not alot and dnt mind it really im actually enjoying it

Anthony
03-24-2006, 01:13 PM
I never understood why someone who wants to be as strong as possible in a certain weight class would carry around useless weight. But that's just me. :D Good choice at reducing the fat.

Anyway, cutting doesn't have to be extreme or complicated or difficult. If you develop decent habits and stay patient, you'll benefit in the long run. Consistency is more important than perfection. Come up with a plan, stick to it 90% of the time, and you'll see results.

The cool thing is that once you do get lean, you'll feel primed to grow. I don't know how else to explain it, but once I cut down, my maintenance calories became "normal" instead of force feeding every day just to maintain, and my body wants to grow. I have to keep things in check just to maintain my weight class.

Anyway, as I said, keep things simple. Meat, veggies, fruit, and nuts at every meal. You could time some heavier carbs (pasta/bread/potatoes/oatmeal/rice) around your workouts if you want, but I don't think it's necessary. Shop around the outside parameter of the grocery store and you'll be good to go.

I would probably start off eating the same calories as you are now, just change the food choices. You may notice more crapping due to the veggies, but your body will adjust and things go back to normal. One of the big changes I have noticed is that I don't get that rollercoaster alert/tired/alert/tired that I used to get when eating heavy carbs. And my performance in all areas has increased. Go figure. Anyway, slowly reduce calories, but make sure your fat and protein stay within guidelines preached on the wbb.

I know this is all generic and may not suit you if you want to know exactly what time to consume ##g of protein and where the planets have to be aligned when you consume ##g of carbs, but the truth is that I don't think any of that is necessary to achieve reasonable leaness. Maybe if you are trying to get bb competition ready, but not for what we want.

Bohizzle
03-24-2006, 01:44 PM
I agree with what's said above, and just for a little motivation (although u've prolly already seen it) http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=73807&highlight=transformation

Andrew

KoolDrew
03-24-2006, 02:10 PM
I like Anthony's advice about keeping things simple. Things being too complicated is probably why a lot of people quit. My main goal right now is to loose fat too (however, I am not a powerlifter, I am actually just beginning my training) and I've read quite a few articles on nutrition to get me started. Most of them were way too complicated. So I think I'll even follow Anthony's advice myself.

Optimum08
03-24-2006, 05:28 PM
I'm with anthony on this one...keeping it simple and not going too hardcore/extreme to start off with are keys, most people cut too many cals too fast and end up getting burnt out. If you slow things down and cut cals more slowly you should be good to go.

Built
03-25-2006, 12:29 AM
At the risk of sounding obvious... have you read my cutting thread, Justin? I actually INCREASED my squat weight last summer/fall when I cut, using more than a few classic powerlifting strategies (3 rep sets of heavy squats, for example) following my cutter. I'll do it again this summer, and I'd be more than happy to swap ideas with you. The tricks for me included:

Dropping reps to keep iron on the bar
Cutting very slowly, with strategic refeeds
Setting very achievable goalposts along every stage of the cut (Must hit xxx lbs by end of April...)
Planning my day so I had extra food available for me at my hungriest time of day (for me, bedtime)
Preplanning (and in most cases, pre-packing) my food.

Lemme know if any of this helped.