PDA

View Full Version : Natureal Peanut Butter or JIF/Skippy/Reese's, etc?

UrbanSmooth
03-25-2006, 02:30 PM
Hello, folks. My question to you is simple: What is your opinion on peanut butter? Natural or the brand-name kinds? Why?

ddegroff
03-25-2006, 02:31 PM
search...

getfit
03-25-2006, 02:36 PM
natty for me , i don't want all those trans fats which the others have

UrbanSmooth
03-25-2006, 03:07 PM
search...

I searched, I didn't find what I wanted. That's why I made this thread, buddy! I really don't see much of a difference overall.

getfit
03-25-2006, 03:33 PM
I searched, I didn't find what I wanted. That's why I made this thread, buddy! I really don't see much of a difference overall.
Normal: peanuts, sugar, partially hydrogenated oils, salt, corn syrup
Natural: peanuts, salt (in some brands)

so which one would you think is a better choice?

Optimum08
03-25-2006, 03:46 PM
the biggest difference is the transfat content in each, natty pb has none, while the bigger name brands contain the hydrogenated oils that contain transfats...also many people love the taste of natty pb better than regular pb.

brickt.
03-25-2006, 03:54 PM

I just searched for "peanut butter +trans" and a ****ton of threads.

UrbanSmooth
03-25-2006, 04:20 PM
I searched for 'Natural Peanut Butter.' I couldn't find much about the difference between natural and the 'sugary' kind.

What's the best deal that you've seen to buy natural peanut butter? I saw a 12-jar buy at smuckers.com for 38 bucks. Anything cheaper out there?

getfit
03-25-2006, 04:31 PM
i posted above why it's better for you,it's your choice really.

getfit
03-25-2006, 04:39 PM
on trans fats

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2003/503_fats.html

Holto
03-25-2006, 05:07 PM
Just say no to trans fat. It's just so avoidable.

getfit
03-25-2006, 05:54 PM
I searched for 'Natural Peanut Butter.' I couldn't find much about the difference between natural and the 'sugary' kind.

What's the best deal that you've seen to buy natural peanut butter? I saw a 12-jar buy at smuckers.com for 38 bucks. Anything cheaper out there?
i'm sure most supermarkets carry natty pb and natural food stores

ArchAngel777
03-25-2006, 06:57 PM
My JIF container says "0 trans fats" and by law, 90% of the makeup of peanut butter has to be from peanuts. The trans fat in regular peanut butter is completely negligable, since, one serving reporst "0" grams and they are required to report anything over .5 grams per serving. Which means, if it does contain trans fat, it is less than 4 calories worth of it per serving.

Quote from here (http://www.peanutbutterlovers.com/nutrition/transfats.html)

Regular peanut butter does contain a tiny, tiny amount (far less than 1%) of partially hydrogenated oil. It keeps the oil from separating out of the peanut butter and rising to the top of the jar, makes the peanut butter creamier, and dramatically increases the shelf life of the peanut butter.

The resulting amount of trans fat in regular peanut butter is so small that, under the proposed FDA labeling guidelines for trans fats, the peanut butter labels will list 0 trans fats. The proposed FDA rule indicates that trans fat amounts of less than .5g cannot be accurately measured and will be listed on the label as 0.

However, natural peanut butters do not contain partially hydrogenated oils. There are a number of natural peanut butters on the market, so consumers who wish to completely avoid partially hydrogenated oils can still enjoy peanut butter. The peanut oil will rise to the top. Simply stir it back in before using.

It is more of a hype than anything, from everything I can tell after research. It seems the same people who freak out about the very small portion of sugar (also found in natural as well, though) have no problem eating ice cream and all sorts of other junk food.

Just my opinion... As for the taste, each person is different. I never liked natural peanut butter... I like my JIF extra chunky.

UrbanSmooth
03-25-2006, 10:21 PM
Thanks, I enjoy my Twin Pack (80 oz. total) of Jif Ceamy. :cool: Just wondering if the more expensive, harder to find natural peanut butter was really worth the switch.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
03-26-2006, 12:03 AM
Harder to find? I've found natural peanut butter in almost every grocery store I've been to.

UrbanSmooth
03-26-2006, 12:38 AM
Economy packs are not as available as for the other peanut butters. I like to buy in bulk and save money, so, I usually buy the largest, most price-efficient amount that I can.

Built
03-26-2006, 01:04 AM
Arch, how big is a serving? A tablespoon? Many of us eat this stuff by the JAR.

brickt.
03-26-2006, 01:52 AM

*Looking at gut*

She's right, it's true... :cry:

Shao-LiN
03-26-2006, 02:10 AM
Every grocery store I've been to has natural peanut butter. Seems easy enough to me, but may not be the same where you live. Never really noticed if it was more expensive. If I want a "bulk pack", I can drive down to Costco and pick up 2 huge jars packaged together for pretty cheap as well.

In any event, your choice, really. Don't have to make excuses (if you are)...if you want regular, then have regular.

Clifford Gillmore
03-26-2006, 03:19 AM
*Looking at gut*

She's right, it's true... :cry:

*looks at brickts gut.*

Well. Yup.

ArchAngel777
03-26-2006, 11:43 AM

Two Tablespoons is a serving. That is quite a bit of peanut butter, though. A huge jar was 35 servings. I probably get a good 20 - 25 or so out of mine and I apply it pretty liberally on my two bagels each morning.

Smuckers Natural Chunky Peanut Butter taken from here (http://www.smuckers.com/fg/pds/default.asp?groupid=2&catid=11&prodid=108)

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 2 Tbsp. (32 g)
Calories 210
Calories from Fat 150

Amount/Serving
Total Fat 16g
Saturated Fat 2.5g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 120mg
Total Carbohydrate 6g
Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugars 1g
Protein 8g

Compared to JIF Chunky

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 2 Tbsp. (32 g)
Calories 190
Calories from Fat 130

Amount/Serving
Total Fat 16g
Saturated Fat 3g
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 130mg
Total Carbohydrate 7g
Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugars 3g
Protein 8g

Even if someone were to eat, say three servings of peanut butter each day, it would only add a total of 6 grams of sugar, and at most, 1g of trans fat (if indeed any). If someone were to eat more than three servings, then they would have to be bulking in my opinion, because getting 600 or so calories from one food type is a bit, excessive, in my opinion. Regardless, though, 1 gram of trans fat and 6 grams of sugar is completely negligable. An entire jar of natural peanut butter would be negated by one fast food visit, or one simple donut and the like. Choose your battles is all I am saying. Eat what you like, but the difference is rather negligable, no matter how you look at it.

I just see natural praised as the end all be all, when really, it comes down to personal preference, for the most part. Eat what tastes good to you, because in the end it isn't going to make one difference.

Holto
03-26-2006, 12:49 PM
I use frequency to draw the line with stuff on my *avoid* list.

For example I might eat white bread once a month, trans fat once a year.

In my philosophy anything you eat daily should be 100% toxin free.

Built
03-26-2006, 04:34 PM
I don't mind if my JUNK food has sugar or trans fats in it. But something I'm specifically eating for the good of my health had better not have any trans fats in it.

Besides, natty tastes like Heaven.

Nito
03-26-2006, 06:43 PM
Besides, natty tastes like Heaven.

Only if its salted :)

Built
03-26-2006, 07:18 PM
Only if it's salted, indeed!

betastas
03-26-2006, 07:58 PM
Keep in mind that if they can put trans fat free with the stipulation that only <0.5g it is trans fat... then they will use that <0.5 as trans fat. 4.5 calories out of 90 calorie serving is still 5% of the fat content, which is about on par with regular trans fat content products.

Why didn't they demand that the product had to be 100% trans fat free to put it on the label? Why can't a product be literally free of all trans fats?
Because it is still cheaper to produce a product that has < 0.5g per serving of trans fat than a product that is entirely free of it.

The great part is that they can tailor their serving size to fit this profile. Don't be fooled by this.

If you eat a 30 servings a week, you can injest 15g trans fat / week from this source alone. These fats accumulate in your body. Week in, week out. In a year you can eat 1.72 lbs of trans fat at that rate. Unacceptable to me.

Built
03-26-2006, 08:00 PM
Keep in mind that if they can put trans fat free with the stipulation that only <0.5g it is trans fat... then they will use that <0.5 as trans fat. 4.5 calories out of 90 calorie serving is still 5% of the fat content, which is about on par with regular trans fat content products.

Why didn't they demand that the product had to be 100% trans fat free to put it on the label? Why can't a product be literally free of all trans fats?
Because it is still cheaper to produce a product that has < 0.5g per serving of trans fat than a product that is entirely free of it.

The great part is that they can tailor their serving size to fit this profile. Don't be fooled by this.

If you eat a 30 servings a week, you can injest 15g trans fat / week from this source alone. These fats accumulate in your body. Week in, week out. In a year you can eat 1.72 lbs of trans fat at that rate. Unacceptable to me.

Muah! Muah! Muah! Muah! Muah!

UrbanSmooth
03-26-2006, 08:39 PM
What's wrong with eating that stuff week in and week out? Doesn't the body get rid of such things? If I were you, I wouldn't worry about something like 1.7 lbs of trans fat in an entire YEAR. For the love of peanut butter...

betastas
03-26-2006, 08:56 PM
Your body does get rid of it. It builds it into new cells. It uses it in repairing old cells.

If you do some reading into trans fat, you'll learn about how it is incorporated into your cells. It's nasty stuff. Very nasty. The sort of stuff that leads you to irreversible health problems not so far down the road. I would say you should take a look into some trans fat articles before you decide based on taste. If you still want to go for the "regular" PB after that, than by all means, exercise your right to choose.

ArchAngel777
03-26-2006, 09:20 PM

Where are you getting these 90 calorie servings from? The cut-off isn't exactly .5g on the mark. I am sure a rounding accours with this. At the very least, if it was reported at .4 grams I am certain the government would require it to be labeled as .5g, instead of 0.

The reason they don't demand it has to be 100% is because that would be nearly impossible. So they decided that for average serving sizes that anything under .5 grams is negligable. The same people who require that information on the food labels in the first place. The FDA is concerned with trans fat and proof is that they required food labels to display it and then they themselves setup the guideline for reporting it. Obviously they feel .5 grams and under is negligable and untracable in a reliable way.

30 servings a week is like 850 calories day from peanut butter... For someone who has a diet of peanut butter, like yourself, you might want to stay away from it then. Sounds like you have.

As for tailoring the serving size to fit the profile? I don't think that is done in the slightest and you should know better. Of course, you do know better. I am pretty sure that is controlled by the FDA as well. Since most condiments (I believe Peanut Butter is considered in that category) report 2 Table Spoons just like BBQ Sauce, Ketchup, etc... That is a common practise.

But it doesn't really matter. It is your body and you have the final say in it. It is just interesting to see people try and make it out to be a bigger health issue than it really is. I really won't be dropping back into this topic again. The food labels speak for themselves. If you like to gorge on Peanut Butter and eat 1,000 calories of it a day (I find that excessive, personally) then you would want to go natural, as you will probably get some ammount of trans fats in you due to the huge consuption.

Built
03-26-2006, 09:42 PM
Oh dear.

Oh dear.

Natural trans fat and artificial trans fat are not the same thing.

There ARE natural trans fats, to be sure - for example, CLA. The body knows what to do with these natural fats. But the artificial kind are roughly equivalent to plasticized oil. Your body does NOT know what to do with them, and they basically get trapped in your arteries from what I've read. They are linked with heart disease.

I assure you serving sizes are rigged to ensure compliance with the laws that allow manufacturers to claim 0% trans fat, in exactly the same way as something like Pam cooking spray (which is aerosol oil) is "fat free".

baja_stx
03-27-2006, 12:36 AM
I'm coming into the tail end of this conversation, but I've read it all and I can see both sides of the coin.

Here's my conclusion on this thread:

For a "normal person" who may only go through 1 jar of peanut butter in a whole year, the amount of trans fat in the regular stuff is definately negligible.

For a "abnormal person" :) (that's us) who may eat more than 1 jar a month, the amount of trans fat starts to add up to a significant amount.

I personally prefer the taste of the regular stuff over the natural. When I'm bulking I tend to eat a lot of peanut butter and therefore stick to the natural kind, but when I'm cutting I may have 1 or 2 PB&J sandwiches in a month then I may grab the regular kind.

baja_stx
03-27-2006, 12:39 AM
Also, we don't know the true amount of trans fats in regular PB, but I personally would figure it worst case and guess 0.49g per serving.

I'd recommend to take a worst case figure w/ the 0.49g per serving and figure out how much you're eating in a week period and see if you're happy w/ the number.

brickt.
03-27-2006, 02:22 AM
1.7lbs of MANMADE transfat a year? Holy life threatening lipids, batman!
I think it has now been proven that Natty > Fake

If price is an issue... just buy raw peanuts??

Holto
03-27-2006, 09:54 AM
I assure you serving sizes are rigged to ensure compliance with the laws that allow manufacturers to claim 0% trans fat.

Anybody who thinks otherwise is naive.

Sorry to be so blunt but these compnanies only care about one thing, the bottome line.

Also making trans free products is an absolute no brainer. Trans fat is virtually non existant in europe. The citizens there are well read when it comes to health. They protest the against the use of trans. Mcdonalds in Europe does not use trans in their fries but they still do over here.

brickt.
03-27-2006, 02:39 PM
How, exactly, is trans fat made? Am I right in thinking that it's produced when McD decides to deep fry it's chips etc in some sort of cheap vegetable fat?

Built
03-27-2006, 03:28 PM
http://www.westonaprice.org/motherlinda/fats_crisco.html

ddegroff
03-27-2006, 04:06 PM
thanks Built, good link

UrbanSmooth
03-28-2006, 02:55 PM
Ok, if trans fats really are that bad, and really do build up over time, then, I'm switching to natural peanut butter. Thanks!

ONLY IF THEY TRULY BUILD UP OVER TIME!

getfit
03-28-2006, 03:01 PM
give natty pb a go, and let us know how if you liked it

Built
03-28-2006, 03:14 PM
SALTED. Make sure it's salted.

UrbanSmooth
03-28-2006, 05:43 PM
SALTED. Make sure it's salted.

Shouldn't I go low-sodium with this one, though? Wouldn't that be healthiest?

Built
03-28-2006, 05:49 PM
What's healthy about low sodium for BB?

http://lonestar.texas.net/~czubeck/sodium-.htm

getfit
03-28-2006, 05:53 PM
well so much on Builts Adams crunchy ;) i just had to try it for myself, well god bless Adams :D it's yum

Built
03-28-2006, 05:55 PM
Isn't it just amazing stuff? I keep a jar at my desk at work!

getfit
03-28-2006, 05:56 PM
it is, and the jars are huge, well the one i bought was.

JimR
03-28-2006, 06:01 PM
Only if it's salted, indeed!

And we quite calling it "natty"! It is just as calorie dense and not some wonder food.

Jimmy

getfit
03-28-2006, 06:03 PM
it's not wonder food? damn ;)

JimR
03-28-2006, 06:10 PM
it's not wonder food? damn ;)

I tablespoon a day to me isnt a wonder food. It is caloric dense. If you like it cool..I love it..I have a jar in my house all the time. I just dont see it as this great thing. In fact I say...boycott natty peanut butter. Maybe its why your fat!

Jimmy

Built
03-28-2006, 06:17 PM
What?

JimR
03-28-2006, 06:23 PM
What?

Just as I said..this natty pb obsession has gone to far.
I demand a boycott on natty pb!

Jimmy

Built
03-28-2006, 06:25 PM
Excellent idea.

Everybody, send me your unopened jars of natty PB - we need to stop this nonsense at once!

<rubs hands together in delight>

getfit
03-28-2006, 06:36 PM
i dream of pb how's that? ;)

getfit
03-28-2006, 06:37 PM
it's tasty, we like it, it's healthy sounds good to me

JimR
03-28-2006, 06:38 PM
i dream of pb how's that? ;)

I dream of lobster and Liz Phair!

Jimmy

getfit
03-28-2006, 06:39 PM
I dream of lobster and Liz Phair!

Jimmy
and that to ;)

Built
03-28-2006, 06:40 PM
I dream I have an exam in a course I forgot to attend all semester.

I HATE those dreams!

brickt.
03-28-2006, 06:48 PM
I dream of girls covered in Natty PB.

betastas
03-28-2006, 06:52 PM
I tablespoon a day to me isnt a wonder food. It is caloric dense. If you like it cool..I love it..I have a jar in my house all the time. I just dont see it as this great thing. In fact I say...boycott natty peanut butter. Maybe its why your fat!

Jimmy

No one said it was a wonder food. You brought up the term.

Boycott it because getfit is fat?

Do go on.

Built
03-28-2006, 06:53 PM
Yeah, I think she said she was at 14%.
What a butterball. :rolleyes:

getfit
03-28-2006, 06:53 PM
i'm the fattest member on WBB, DON'T YOU KNOW IT? ;)

JimR
03-28-2006, 06:57 PM
i'm the fattest member on WBB, DON'T YOU KNOW IT? ;)

Hey! I never said anyone was fat..I just got into the conversation here.

Seems like a cool forum..Ive been dealing with Lyle for years...or I mean he hasnt banned me yet.

Jimmy

getfit
03-28-2006, 06:59 PM
dealing with Lyle? let's keep things nice here ok son.

UrbanSmooth
03-28-2006, 07:25 PM
So, where's the best place to order a bulk load of natural AKA 'natty' peanut butter online? I'm not buying a 16 oz jar for 2+ bucks every week from the store. I want to save money in the long run.

getfit
03-28-2006, 07:32 PM
try here
http://www.smuckers.com/fg/pds/default.asp?groupid=2&catid=11

UrbanSmooth
03-28-2006, 08:30 PM
Sold.