PDA

View Full Version : Sugar in Milk

JaredG
03-25-2006, 08:08 PM
Is the sugar in milk going to effect my results?
My 2% milk is showing 12g per serving (cup).

For those who might tell me to search; I did. I got 2960 results ranging from 1 response threads to 9 page journals, ranging anywhere from discussion about protein bars to orange juice.

Thanks

smalls
03-25-2006, 08:16 PM
So why didnt you check some of those searches out?

Also we dont even know your goals, diet, stats etc. So how do we know how milk is going to fit in your totals.

Sidior
03-25-2006, 08:40 PM
:withstupi

Is the sugar in milk going to effect my results?
My 2% milk is showing 12g per serving (cup).

For those who might tell me to search; I did. I got 2960 results ranging from 1 response threads to 9 page journals, ranging anywhere from discussion about protein bars to orange juice.

Thanks

what results? what the hell are you talking about?

JaredG
03-25-2006, 09:15 PM
Sorry guys, I thought that it would be assumed I was focusing more towards cutting than bulking since I am concerned about sugar. (no sarcasm here) I am asking in regards to taking whey with milk, while cutting, and the effect of sugar. I am wondering if there are good sugars (fruit for example) and bad sugars (B&J ice cream), or if sugar is sugar. (I am aware of the "as long as it fits into your calorie plan" mentality, but I don't want to store a bunch of sugar and build fat)
I want to build muscle and decrease fat (I'm sure this is a common desire), I have established my caloric needs and created a diet, and am building and executing a training plan. I can go into more detail if you would like. I have been reading about the balance of fat, protein, and carbs, and I am just wondering where sugar fits into this.

I did check the search results, and tried an advanced search, but I would like an answer before my pubes turn grey...

Bohizzle
03-25-2006, 09:22 PM
a sugar is a carb. lactose (the sugar in milk) i believe is a moderately slow digesting carb, as it needs to be broken down into glucose and galactose. Although not as slow as say whole wheat bread, it is still slower than fruit.

Andrew

JaredG
03-25-2006, 09:31 PM
Should it be factored into my daily carb totals? I am very confused about daily calorie and macro totals. One day the common idea is to stay within your maintenance levels and you're good. The next day I'm reading threads about "a calorie is not a calorie." I find it difficult to believe that 2,400 cals of ice cream and 2,400 cals of canned tuna will have the same effect. But, then I see people posting about beer, ice cream, cookies as their biceps bulge out of their avatar. I guess like everything else in life, there is more than one way to do it. I just need to find what works best for me.

Thanks for the help. I apologize if I sound like an idiot or am not making sense. I am new at this. At this point, with my extremely low level of knowledge in this area, I need someone to say "just keep working out, maintain your total cals, and you're good to go.", or "keep chugging your sugar-saturated milk, tubby."

PoutineEh
03-27-2006, 07:54 AM
I guess like everything else in life, there is more than one way to do it. I just need to find what works best for me.

you got it. just make sure you get enough protein in your diet and your calories are the right amount you want for what your doing. if you are bulking, maintanance + 500; cutting, maintainance - 500. do whatever ratio of protein/fats/carbs that will keep you satisfied on a cut, and then whatever ratio you need in order to get all your cals in on a bulk.
helps?

ddegroff
03-27-2006, 10:36 AM
the "calorie is not a calorie" thread was a discussion on meal timing really. milk is fine. when you said you were told "as long as it fits into your over macros (CHO, fats, PRO), then your good" follow that. I don't drink milk on a cut because I like to chew my cals. Milk is awesome, drink up!

gator
03-27-2006, 12:31 PM
The GI of milk is low and it's very slow digesting, however the insulin rating on milk is high, which means it will create an insulin spike, which is why many people cut out mulk on cuts. Weather or not you care about the GI and insulin rating, milk is generally pretty good to drink and the sugars in milk aren't bad.

D Breyer
03-27-2006, 12:40 PM
this is a bit off the topic but in lyle's psmf book he recommends a few servings of no-fat dairy a day... the psmf diet is strictly no carb so how can one get away with milk?

ArchAngel777
03-27-2006, 01:18 PM
this is a bit off the topic but in lyle's psmf book he recommends a few servings of no-fat dairy a day... the psmf diet is strictly no carb so how can one get away with milk?

I never heard it was no carbs... But, besides, Lyle said he modified the PSMF diet in the first place, so it isn't a true PSMF, but a modified one.

brickt.
03-27-2006, 02:42 PM
protein sparing modified fast = protein strictly matha facka !

The perfect PSMF would be like: 150-250g protein depending on person, 0 carb, 6g fat (all from fishoil)

brickt.
03-27-2006, 03:30 PM
Protein sparing modified fast - the things like 6g fishoil a day is one the things Lyle modified.

Check your PM's.

ArchAngel777
03-27-2006, 03:39 PM
Protein sparing modified fast - the things like 6g fishoil a day is one the things Lyle modified.

Check your PM's.

Oh I get it now... I think you were joking about it being only protein... I am a bit slow on the uptake here. Been a long day and I am not even reading things correctly today.