PDA

View Full Version : All I Want To Be Is ****ing Really Big and Strong

Pages : [1] 2 3

RickTheDestroyer
03-27-2006, 02:29 PM
...And lean, apparently, or I wouldn't be cutting.
I was pretty sure that I'd never do this, but here I am, starting a damn journal.
The purpose of this journal is to document my cut this spring. I figure this is as good a place as any, and although I'm not really expecting much feedback, I may get a little support and advice, which will be greatly appreciated, of course.

Here's the history:
I'm 23, and I've been training for a little over 3 years. I wasted the first year of that on stupid bodybuilding splits, too much volume, too much isolation, and not enough food. I went from a fat 215 to a skinny fat 165.
Then I learned how to eat and train right and bulked for the first time (living with Justin helped immensely and I will be forever indebted to him for this). I was 220 at the beginning of 2005, and went on UD2. I had great results for a month, and then promptly started a new job that didn't let me train often enough or eat often enough, had me doing manual labor 8 hours a day, and ****ed with my sleep patterns. I dropped to 190, but didn't end up getting that lean. I lost a ton of strength and muscle, and was only training sporadically as I had limited access to weights (and hadn't found a new gym yet).
This past summer I set up a gym in my garage and got serious. I ate right and trained hard and gained my strength and size back, and in doing so greatly improved a lot of my weaker areas. So now it's time to cut again. After this cut I intend to do a standard dual-phase 5x5 for a few months, and follow that up with westside, since my strength is ****ing pathetic relative to my size.

I started this cut four days ago at 6' and 235-240ish. I'd like to think I wasn't over 18%, although I tend to store fat in a pretty unfortunate manner (chest and gut), so that could be way off. I can see a vague outline of my top abs, but my love handles, gut, and tits are soft and fat. I'm planning on cutting to 10% or so. I've never seen my abs and I'm tired of being a fatass, so I'm quite dedicated to getting lean. Additionally, I may have been blessed with puberty-gyno, and at 10% I'll know for sure if this is the case or if it's just the aforementioned unfortunate fat storage patterns. We'll burn that bridge when we get there.

Here's the plan- I'm basing my cut on a PSMF, sort of. I'm shooting for about 235 grams of protein and not much else each day. I eat fish (and anything else that swims) but no other meat. The bulk of my diet will consist of 2 cans of tuna and 8 scoops of protein powder per day. I'll also be consuming fibrous veggies, a multivitamin, fish pills, creatine, ephedrine, coffee, green tea, lots of water, and a fiber supplement each day.
I'll continue to put about 100 calories of cream/sugar in my coffee (because I like it that way), and I'll probably allow myself a few small bites of other things that taste good each day so that I don't go crazy. I'll keep this at or under 100 calories as well, which should still leave me in a huge deficit.
Friday and Saturday nights I'll continue to eat home-cooked dinners as prepared by my stepmother and mother, respectively, as they're too good to pass up. I'll also make my shakes with skim milk instead of water around workouts for a little boost. Finally, I expect to do a full refeed every other Saturday- although probably not to the full carb-death awesomeness of the UD2 refeeds.

If I'm happy with my results in 6 weeks I'll call it quits, otherwise I'll go ahead with some UD2 action until I'm satisfied.

I will be using the following split for the duration of my cut, unless this gets too hard. Saturday's workout felt great, however. Only work sets are written, and all sets are the same weight. I'll be trying my damndest to up the weights each week.

Workout One (Monday or Tuesday):
Incline Bench Press- 5x3
Chins- 5x3
Deadlifts- 5x3
Spread Eagle Situps- 2x 8-10

Workout Two (Wednesday or Thursday):
Weighted Dips- 3x5
Barbell Rows- 3x5
Squats- 3x5
Romanian Deadlifts- 3x5
Russian Twists- 2x 8-10

Workout Three (Saturday):
Bench Press- 5x3
Chins- 5x3
Squats- 5x3

I'll also be doing small amounts of HIIT sprints as often as I feel I'm able, hopefully 3 times a week, in addition to the little bit of cardio I get from walking the dog.

So far I'm already carb-depleted and feeling pretty ****ty. This morning I weighed 231 and my muscles are tiny and awful looking. I'm a little leaner already, but it's not that satisfying to pose in the mirror or anything because I've shrunk so much. I've honestly lost half an inch off my arms. However, I'm getting the weird taste in my mouth that I had throughout UD2, so I guess I'm losing some fat at least. I was going to take some "before" pictures and include them to help track my progress, but at this point I look so tiny that I'm going to hold off until after I refeed.

The hunger isn't bad, but I'm really missing the act of eating and tasting good food. I'm hoping that this will pass as the diet becomes routine.

I'll be working out tonight and I'll see how well I do with deads. Should be fun.

Also, I've had a few instances in which I was working out and felt distinctly weird and hot and itchy... don't know what that's about but I don't like it. It may or may not be related.

MixmasterNash
03-27-2006, 02:48 PM
More GPP!!! HIIT! Litvinovs!

Burned calories = eat more tasty food!

Patz
03-27-2006, 02:56 PM
The weird taste in your mouth should be the trademark of Ketosis, but you would need to be a minimum of 2 days into depletion to be in that state. If you do reach ketosis, the home-cooked meals for two days in a row aer likely to pull you back out and screw up the inferno of fat-burning you've created. I would say that, if you want to do the weekend meals, you should forget about refeeds. Also, the sugar in the coffee might possibly make you feel worse as your blood sugar goes on a roller coaster.

I can also say that the tuna will make you want to vomit after about day 5. your body wants to REJECT that stale meal because it HATEs you for eating the same, bland **** over and over. After one week on PSMF, I gave up the chicken altogether and lived on whey and water for the next 21 days.

Be careful with the workouts. Carb depletion, as you know, is gonna sap your strength seriously. It's also going to make you more susceptiple to injury, so stay WELL WITHIN your limits. Just because you feel strong enough to lift near your current levels doesn't mean you should try it.

That's all I can think of for now!

Good luck..

RickTheDestroyer
03-27-2006, 05:20 PM
Thanks guys.

Nash- I'll fit more work in there when I get more time... and I'll try to eat accordingly. Although I'm reluctant to up the HIIT further for fear of interfering with my leg work.

mrelwooddowd- I've been almost entirely carbless since Friday night, so that probably is the keto breath kicking in (mom didn't cook this weekend :( ).
I was working under the assumption that there wasn't anything particularly special about being in ketosis- except that it was a good indicator that fat was being used for fuel (I think I read that in UD2, but I may be mistaken...)- if I'm incorrect then I will adjust accordingly. I figured that since I'm coming in at less than 1/2 maintenance 5 days a week, and still at about a 1000 calorie deficit (if not greater) on Friday/Saturday that I might not be disrupting things too bad. I'll do some more reading, and give that one some more thought.

I do think that the refeed/carb-up every 14 days is going to be necessary, for psychological reasons if nothing else. Also, the total sugar in my coffee is about 5 grams (if that)- I don't think that's enough to spike me, and splenda licks nuts in coffee. I've done the 2+ cans of tuna a day thing many times before, it's gross, and I hate it, but I'm pretty happy to be actually chewing something that I sort of look forward to it. Ew.

I'll keep your advice in mind with the training- I've been using 75-80% of my 1RM for the triples, and I'll be using 70-75% for the sets of 5. I'm reluctant to go much lighter than that for fear of losing more muscle.

dw06wu
03-27-2006, 05:30 PM
Hmm...I never get any "keto-breath" when I'm depleted. I think you guys are full of it :D

RickTheDestroyer
03-28-2006, 07:32 AM
I've always heard people describe the keto-breath as metallic, but I just get a thick greasy feeling in my mouth- sort of like how your mouth would feel if you coated it with the inside of an oreo, except not sweet and delicious. Mmmm mmm.

Last night's workout was not as terrible as I had expected, but it was certainly a little rougher than Saturday's. Weight that was a joke last week was a struggle this week, but I still hit all my sets/reps. I figure if I start getting too rundown then I'll just drop a set off each exercise.

Weighed in at 230 this morning. I probably should have dropped the extra $15 on a digital scale, since the one I've got doesn't appear to be terribly consistent. I was expecting to lose weight a little more quickly than that, but I suppose I just need to be patient.

MJS
03-28-2006, 08:39 AM
Interesting split you got going there. I think you might be overworking your chest a bit, seeing as you are working it directly 3 times a week.

Incline press
Weighted Dips
Bench Press

If you are getting results though go for it man. Good luck with the goals, I'll be reading this journal

RickTheDestroyer
03-28-2006, 09:36 AM
Interesting split you got going there. I think you might be overworking your chest a bit, seeing as you are working it directly 3 times a week.

Incline press
Weighted Dips
Bench Press

If you are getting results though go for it man. Good luck with the goals, I'll be reading this journal
I try to work everything pretty directly 3x a week, and have done so with a good degree of success for the past 5 months- I appreciate the concern though. I'll try to post the routine I used while bulking when I get the chance... although it was a little crazy and I really needed to build in some proper de-loading of some sort.

I've found that I can train everything three times a week without problem as long as I mix up the exercises and/or rep ranges. As long as I've got a push, a pull, and some leg work, I do pretty well. I make a point of setting a target weight and reps for each set and strive to hit those goals each workout, and rather than going above them if I've got more energy, I just try to up the weight each week, and never train to failure.

And actually, I'd swap in push presses for the inclines (for more direct shoulder work), except that I'm a little reluctant to hold weight overhead while depleted and weak.

Thanks for the support bro- I'll try to do my best to make the reading worthwhile.

RickTheDestroyer
03-29-2006, 10:31 AM
Weighed in at 229ish this morning.
As it turns out, I'm a dumbass and have been miscounting my scoops of protein for the last two days- I've forgotten to count the two scoops each morning (pre-coffee means I don't remember it).

Hunger isn't too bad, and hopefully it will keep being not too bad with 180 fewer calories. Regardless, macros are looking good... about 1200 calories- 90% of which are from protein, and most of the rest are either from fish oil (which doesn't really count) or fiberous veggies/fiber supplements (also don't really count). Actually, on that note, I've decided to up the fiber supplement a little, as I guess the recommended normal amount is probably not determined with an all protein diet in mind.

Today I'll either be lifting or sprinting after work- haven't decided which yet, and tomorrow I'll do whatever I don't do tonight.

I'm also in the process of reading Lyle's ketogenic diet book so that I'll be a little better educated. I'll be doing this while on the clock. Take that, work!

Sidior
03-29-2006, 02:34 PM
ketogenic diet book>work

RickTheDestroyer
03-29-2006, 02:38 PM
ketogenic diet book>work
:nod: :clap: Damn yes! :clap: :nod:

RickTheDestroyer
03-30-2006, 07:05 AM
Weighed in this morning at 228.5 (or so I'm guessing, since everything is kind of blurry when I get up). The weight loss is right on target and is consistent with what I was expecting. This is good.

Unfortunately, the workout last night was terrible. I nearly blacked out on my last set of squats, and my right knee (in which I've had nagging pain for almost a decade) felt pretty ****ty. I just didn't have the energy for five reps on the squats, so I'm going to modify the split- I'll do 5x3 instead of 3x5, with less weight than I'm using on the Saturday workout. Hopefully that'll solve the problem. HIIT today, possibly followed by a nap.

JustinASU
03-30-2006, 08:58 PM
Rick!

I was so happy to hear your big ass finally created a journal. Now I can stay updated on how you're gonna look better than me in a few weeks. Sounds like the diet is going well, as you seem to have dropped some solid weight. We can only hope it's fat. I may be consulting you soon on dieting. I suppose I'll have to give up chicken tenders. and pizza. and burritos. and cookies. *cry*

Bro, you have way more willpower than me. Check yo email too, bitch.

Patz
03-31-2006, 03:39 AM
I told you those workouts were gonna SUCK! LOL

Lyle suggested a routine with 15 rep sets, in the "Rapid Fat Loss" (PSMF) handbook. I personally feel like going a bit heavier will force the body to make good use of the protein it's fed, but I also ended up giving up on the workouts entirely after a week or two. I felt like complete ****, had a couple new injuries, and nothing was healing up.

Also with the ketosis, if I understand correctly, it's when you're burning fat at the fastest rate due to the body using it to run the brain. If it were me (and it's not), I would try to stay in ketosis as long as I can before coming out. I can also ad from experience that coming out of ketosis feels horrible. Nausea..

RickTheDestroyer
03-31-2006, 08:31 AM
Came in right under 228 this morning. HIIT last night was a breeze, which was a surprise since my legs were sore and I started upping the number of sprint/walk cycles. I'll probably add a cycle to each session every week for the duration of the cut.

Justin- thanks for the support bro. I think you'd actually be able to do this diet pretty easily, although the missus might not like you not eating her cooking. You'd need to get in more protein than me, but you could probably get away with something similar to what I'm doing, but with chicken breasts instead of tuna. I think you'd be able to stick to this, as it's sort of easier to just have a schedule of "this is what I eat for each meal everyday" and it just becomes routine. I'm not even particularly hungry. The other thing to consider is that it's much less of a pain to do this **** for 4-6 weeks instead of cutting slow as hell for over 2-3 times as long.

I've been reading up in the keto book and on the body recomposition forums, and now I've got a better idea of how to treat the refeeds/cheat meals. I've decided to drop the milk in the workout shakes- I don't think it's helping me really, and I'd prefer to just be in a heavier deficit. I'm also going to stop taking the creatine (except on cheat days) since I'm so depleted/dehydrated that I don't think it'll matter.

One thing I'm learning from the keto book is that I probably won't get into a deep ketogenic state because of how much protein I'm eating- about half of which gets turned into glucose. The cheat meals will pull me out of ketosis, but as soon as my liver glycogen gets depleted again I should go right back in. I believe more research on the keto stuff has been done since Lyle wrote the keto book- as in UD2 he seems not that concerned about it, whereas in the keto book he talks about how a low-carb non ketogenic diet will cannibalize more muscle than a keto diet. In the bodyrecomp forums he seems to give even less of a ****. I'm going to just not stress about it and do what I've been doing, with a cheat meal friday and saturday, with the friday getting replaced by a short refeed every other week.

I was not aware of the 15 rep set recommendation- was this for all workouts and not just prior to refeeds? I'm going to basically stick with what I'm doing because I think it'll help hold onto muscle/strength better, although the strength is in the ****ter I think that's mostly due to being starved/depleted and not muscle loss. I'll save that high rep **** for the next time I do UD2. I do think that I'm going to adjust the workout as follows:

Workout One (Monday or Tuesday):
Incline Bench Press- 4x3
Chins- 4x3
Deadlifts- 4x3

Workout Two (Wednesday or Thursday):
Weighted Dips- 3x5
Barbell Rows- 3x5
Squats- 4x3
Romanian Deadlifts- 3x5
Russian Twists- 2x 8-10

Workout Three (Saturday):
Bench Press- 5x3
Chins- 5x3
Squats- 5x3

I'll keep the sets higher (and heavier) for Saturday since I'll be coming off of a real meal and will hopefully have the energy for it. That's it for now. Back to "work."

JustinASU
04-01-2006, 10:43 AM
Thought I'd drop by with an inspirational article from our Westside friends :evillaugh

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/six_pack.htm

RickTheDestroyer
04-01-2006, 03:12 PM
Justin, I've read that one already, but it is a good one nonetheless (I signed up for the newsletter as per your suggestion). We're both sporting the keg right now and that's fine.

Had my first cheat meal last night, and I decided to make it count- 2 slices of cheese pizza, a calzone, and a bottle of SkullSplitter ale. Mmmm mmm mmm. Woke up feeling still full and lethargic. Weighed in at 230 after drinking my fiber supplement and some water, but I look leaner today- definitely refilled the stores a little, so feeling generally pretty damn positive about this diet.

Workout went pretty well this afternoon. Right knee felt really ****ty at first, but I put on one of those Osgood-Schlatter bands and it helped quite a bit. I felt pretty strong throughout, and managed to add or maintain weight in all my exercises- I guess a little real food helped a lot.

The last two Saturdays I've been adding 25lbs. of chains to each side for the bench and squats- even though I'm doing heavy triples (I'm well aware of the fact that this is probably pretty non-standard), and I really like it. I think it's helping to provide more consistent level of load as I move into parts of the ROM that have better mechanical leverage. I've got them set up so that they deload completely at the bottom, and load completely at the top (I built them to be adjustable- I'm a clever one sometimes). I am a touch concerned that the chains may assist in the stabilization with the squats somehow, and I also don't think it's good to use them exclusively, which is why they're just for Saturdays when I'll be a little more energetic.

For some reason adding the chains when I squat makes it hurt less in my knee, even though I get much more fried in my leg muscles. Good stuff all around. Even though my knee has felt bad for the last three days, now it feels fantastic.

I gotta say, as bad as I felt about my strength losses on Wednesday, everything is better today, which is really really good and leaves me feeling fantastic. I'm also feeling good because spring has sprung, which I love, and also my birthday is soon. Yay- I'll be 24 and 2 years out of college and still not have any direction in life!

RickTheDestroyer
04-02-2006, 03:48 PM
Weighed in this morning at 230 again. I look the leanest I've looked so far, however- I'd even venture to guess around 15.5-16%. I suppose I could get some calipers to know for sure, but the number isn't as important to me as my appearance is. I'm definitely pleased with how well I'm starting to lean out. I can see the outside edge of my top 4 abs now, my gyno (?) is definitely somewhat smaller (which gives me hope), and my vascularity is improving noticeably all across my shoulders, chest and arms. Of course, I'm see-through pale and have bright blue veins, so it really just looks like someone doodled on me with a highlighter.

I had this week's second cheat meal last night- about 30-40 pieces of sushi. I left the table still a little hungry, unlike Friday, where I was quite painfully full for a few hours. It felt good to eat though, and I feel pretty good today.

I was lucky and got a little steady-state cardio this morning, and I'll be doing some HIIT sprints this evening.

RickTheDestroyer
04-03-2006, 09:22 PM
Weighed in this morning at a hair under 230. I think I'm still holding some water weight from my cheat meals. I'm not too worried about it. I went to my mom's last night at dinner time even though all my cheat meals were gone, which was a bad idea. I was tempted hard, and ended up giving in a little- I ate one small salmon cake (probably not too bad) and exactly five pieces of fried okra and six 1.5" french fry bits. I think I'm probably okay with that.

At work today they had cake for all the April birthdays during the monthly staff meeting (which means it was pretty much for me and maybe one other person). No one really understood why I didn't want any cake (or any pizza before that). My goals are achieved through dedication and sacrifice, not ****ing pizza and birthday cake. Not to mention the fact that I'll probably end up getting more cheat meals than I want on my actual birthday anyway.

The workout tonight went well. I added weight to the inclines, I'll be adding weight to chins next week, and I used weight on the deads that was closer to my actual (non-starved) work weight. I followed the gatorade recommendation for ~15-20 grams of carbs pre-workout/during the workout and it helped immensely.

Really, this diet ain't so bad. I'm not even hungry anymore.

RickTheDestroyer
04-04-2006, 01:29 PM
228 this morning. Feeling pretty small, and not looking particularly lean. No workout tonight, but I'll get some HIIT and weights in tomorrow and the day after. Maybe I'll try to get some GPP or something in on Friday after work.

I'll be at the beach for my birthday/Easter, as well as the Friday/Monday around that weekend. I think I'll probably take those days off from the diet for the sake of not having to explain it to my extended family.

Nothing else to report.

Isaac Wilkins
04-04-2006, 02:41 PM
What up, mang?

Good to see you trying something new. Shoot me a pm sometime.

When are you coming back down to Chucktown to visit?

RickTheDestroyer
04-05-2006, 08:53 PM
Isaac- Thanks for dropping by bro. Your input will be greatly appreciated as always, since the last time I did what you said I ended up gaining 20 pounds. Unfortunately, I don't know when I'll be back in SC, but I'm hoping that it's sooner rather than later.

I weighed in at 225.5 this morning. I'm assuming that I'm probably just about finished dropping the water weight I gained from my cheat meals. I'm quite noticeably leaner now than I was two weeks ago. This means that posing in the mirror is fun again, even though I'm depleted as hell- I think my midsection is going look good lean. I noticed today that the area under my pecs where my abs/ribs/serrati(?) and lats sort of come together is starting to look pretty good. I think I'm going to be very pleased with what I've got in a few more weeks. :thumbup:

Hunger was worse today than it has been, but it was still totally manageable. However, the workout sucked, even with the adjustments to the split and the little carb boost. These midweek workouts are just shaping up to be ****ty- I feel run down before I even start and I get tired fast. Poundages still went up though (from the low point to which I dropped them when I started cutting), and my knee felt pretty good, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much. I'm really looking forward to lifting Saturday morning- carbed up and strong.

RickTheDestroyer
04-06-2006, 08:12 PM
Came in just under 225 this morning.

Did some HIIT sprints after work- 7 cycles of 10-15 second sprints followed by walking back to where I started. These felt pretty good even though my hammies are tight and sore from last night's workout.

Two fun presents arrived today, courtesy of Amazon- a foam roller for my gym, and a copy of Starting Strength. Both will see plenty of use.

I tried taking some pictures tonight, but they were too ****ing terrible for words so I deleted them all and decided that I'll hold off until this weekend. I get a cheat meal tomorrow night, and my first refeed on Saturday.

RickTheDestroyer
04-08-2006, 12:35 PM
Weight is 230 again. Perhaps I should consider making my cheat meals a little less uh... awesome. I guess. I still look pretty lean today (for me) and am about to start on a 5 hour refeed shortly. I'll probably go overkill on that as well. That's okay, because I can see more of my abs than I have ever seen, ever.

Workout was solid today. Felt strong, and knee feels good. Poundages were up from last week, except for on squats, which I reduced because I'm trying a pretty different form out for awhile. I'm working to squat as per Mark Rippetoe's instructions in Starting Strength- shoulder width, toes out, very narrow grip, low bar, maximum knee spread at the bottom.

The leg placement is about how I've been squatting, but the bar placement is pretty radically different and is taking some getting used to. It feels much more stable, and I stay much more upright at the bottom (and can go deeper), but my upper back is simply not used to being used so much while squatting, and I'm feeling more hamstring/glute involvement than ever before. I think my poundages should increase pretty solidly as I become more accostumed to the motion.

RickTheDestroyer
04-10-2006, 11:09 AM
Well, I weighed in at 227 this morning, which is pretty good. I was 233 yesterday morning (after the refeed on Saturday) and I was feeling frustrated and about ready to throw in the towel.

My refeed was not terribly clean, and so I probably need to clean up my next one, as well as my cheat meals. I've also dropped some of my little extra calories that I had been taking in, and I may reduce my shakes by a scoop of protein during the day... I'm definitely getting a little bit discouraged, as I've been doing this **** for two weeks now and I'm not getting quite the results that I had hoped for.

After next weekend I may hang at maintenance for the rest of the week and then try 2-3 more weeks of PSMF before I go to UD2 or something. I almost feel like my week-to-week appearance changes were more noticeable on that because I looked/felt/was so big on Saturdays, whereas this refeed just made me feel fat and bloated.

I think that this diet is pretty psychologically hard- the low calories are starting to get to me a little, but I'm also having a few other things contributing to my current mental state. I'm not really getting enough sleep and I'm beginning to hate my job almost enough to quit, but don't have anything else lined up and can't really think of anything I want to be doing that I could start on immediately if I needed to. Not good. Hopefully deadlifts tonight will cheer me up.

RickTheDestroyer
04-11-2006, 07:12 AM
Weight this morning was 226.5. Not sure about leanness since I was running late and didn't really get a chance to assess anything. I spent some time posing in the bathroom at work yesterday, and was actually pretty pleased, so maybe **** ain't so bad after all. By the way, posing in the bathroom at work is a great way to avoid doing **** you hate, as people just assume it's all the protein...

Last night's workout ended up being solid, and the deadlifts did the two jobs that I needed them to do: 1) kick my ass, and 2) put me in a better mood. Poundages were up for everything and I felt strong as hell. :thumbup:

JustinASU
04-14-2006, 08:47 AM
hey Dude.

How's the PSMFing coming? I'm still not 100% sure about my hormones, so I can't start. I think I'm 18-19% bf now :( I hate being off. I like using you as a ginnea pig for this diet though since I know I tend to store fat very similar to the way you store it. Keep me updated bro. I think I'm gonna try for a may visit to Rick's house 'o Asscrushing. :thumbup:

RickTheDestroyer
04-18-2006, 08:46 AM
Well Bro, I'm feeling a little discouraged again, frankly.

I haven't worked out since Thursday (which went pretty well except for knee pain) and this weekend has left me feeling fat, weak, and ****ing disgusting.
I weighed 230 this morning, and have been eating at roughly maintenance since Thursday. I tried to eat well at the beach- lots of shrimp/tuna/scallops/eggs, and not so heavy on the cheesecake.

I got a set of bands and the NSCA CPT textbook from mom for my birthday, so that's exciting and good. I need to get cracking on getting certified- hopefully personal training will be a good job choice for me, because I'm so ****ing sick of doing bitch work in a psych lab that I'm ready to stab out my eyes and ****ing shoot myself. Seriously, I can't stand the idea of continuing to tell incompetent idiots how to do their jobs all day anymore, and I really need to find something else.

I workout tonight, I'll probably try to push it pretty hard since I'm eating real food through Wednesday. I'll then go on another 2 1/2 weeks of PSMF, do another refeed, and then get on UD2. The weight hasn't dropped as fast as I had anticipated, and I'm going to need more dieting once I'm done with the PSMF in order to get as lean as I want to be.

I guess 10 pounds in 3 weeks isn't too bad. Since I'm full right now I think it's fair to make the comparison to my previous weight to get an idea of how much actual fat I've lost. Regardless, it ain't enough, and I think that I may have seen better results on UD2, so hopefully that will work better for me when I make that shift. I don't think that I'm really lean enough for PSMF to losing effectiveness for me yet, so I wonder if maybe I don't just have really ****ty genes for cutting. :mad:

RickTheDestroyer
04-19-2006, 08:41 AM
Came in just below 230 this morning, as was expected due to current food intake levels.

Chose to do my old bulking workout last night since I've been eating. It went well except that I'm still keeping the squats light until I get used to the new stance/motion. I spent most of the time fiddling around to try to get things set up so my knee wouldn't hurt. Although the weight was pretty sad, the higher reps killed me since I've been keeping almost everything at 3-5 for the last month, so I ended up not even getting eight reps on the last set of squats because I started to black out and fall forward. Overall workout was not that great, although I am pleasantly sore.

I'm still not feeling too good about the diet at the moment, although one of my female coworkers told me yesterday that she thought I was very noticeably leaner through my midsection, so that's good, especially since it was unprompted.

RickTheDestroyer
04-21-2006, 07:20 AM
Still sitting at just under 230.
Went with the old bulking split again last night, and that went well. I think the new squat stance is making me sorer than I am used to- and I think the tightness of my leg muscles is pulling on my knee funny because it ****ING KILLS. It just sucks because my form is good and there's no reason that my knee should be hurting. We are not pleased.

I'm back on the PSMF as of today, although I'm still taking cheat meals tonight and tomorrow night, so it'll begin seriously on Sunday. I'll give it 2-3 more weeks and then start gearing up for UD2.

I've been lazy as hell about my HIIT lately (thank you Oblivion!), but I figure that's mostly okay since Lyle says it's a bad idea to do it on PSMF anyway.

ArchAngel777
04-21-2006, 10:06 AM
(thank you Oblivion!)

Ahhh... What a wonderful game. I have it for the PC, all eye candy turned on and it runs like a dream... It is games like these that are the reason I became a fat ass... I was never fat until I became a crack addicts to DAOC, WoW, Morrowind, Oblivion etc...

Been reading the inormation your cut. Give it time bro... I have been cutting for over 5 - 6 months and only now (just recently) am I starting to to lean out. I still have a ways to go too... About 50% of the total days have been sub 1,500 calories and the other 50% has been around 2,000 - 2,200. Some days I went below 1,000, too.

The problem is that many people have no idea just how fat they really are. They think a 6 week cut is going to perform miracles. Unfortunately, that isn't the case. If you were above 18% body fat, you have a few months, in my opinion before you are going to hit the 10% range.

Bottom line, cutting takes longer than people think... Plan for it accordingly. Break your cut into 2 - 3 different cuts and space them out. Plan long term, like 1 year from now. and break it down in mini goals that you can handle.

Anyway, take care, I hope your have continued success!

RickTheDestroyer
04-21-2006, 12:53 PM
ArchAngel- I appreciate the kind words and support bro. You're absolutely right, I'm just pretty impatient with this stuff because I want results NOW.
Realistically I have made progress and I need to be happy with that.

You're dead-on about Oblivion- I never touched the MMORPGs because I knew I'd never be able to stop, but Oblivion is about like crack to me... My worst problem is that I'll go start a quest and get sidetracked by another quest, and then I'll find some cave/dungeon/ruins on that quest and I'll think "Okay I'll turn it off after this cave- that's all"... next thing I know it's 12:30 and I have to be waking up for work in 6 hours.

I warned my girlfriend not to get me that 360.

RickTheDestroyer
04-21-2006, 01:13 PM
Actually, I just got back from posing in the bathroom (does anyone actually work on Friday afternoons?) and I'm happier than I expected to be. This is the best I've looked by far at 230, even though I'm still way too fat.
Additionally, my back is so sore and it's delicious- between the power shrugs and the closer grip for squats last night it got hit hard and differently than it normally does. Man I feel good- all I need now is for 4:30 to roll around so I can get the **** out of here.

ArchAngel777
04-21-2006, 02:51 PM
Actually, I just got back from posing in the bathroom (does anyone actually work on Friday afternoons?) and I'm happier than I expected to be. This is the best I've looked by far at 230, even though I'm still way too fat.
Additionally, my back is so sore and it's delicious- between the power shrugs and the closer grip for squats last night it got hit hard and differently than it normally does. Man I feel good- all I need now is for 4:30 to roll around so I can get the **** out of here.

LOL, yeah, I have been known to do the "pose" thing a few times lately. It is rather funny though, because depending on your mood and the time of day, you can see yourself in two completely different ways. Sometimes you will notice the love handles are HUGE! Then the next day, you are like, wow, they sure shrunk. The reality is that they didn't change at all though, just the way you look at them and singled them out. Mind games, for sure...

Oblivion is such a great game, I am glad you are enjoying it. The biggest danger with video games for me is that I tend to get the "munchies" and let me tell you, that isn't a good thing.

Glad to see you are happy with the results. That is often what gives us the reason to continue with hardcore dieting... Just when you are weary, about to give up, one look in the mirror and you can have all the renewed vigor in the world.

Best of luck

PoutineEh
04-21-2006, 04:10 PM
Just wanted to say good luck with your cut. I am reading up on Lyle's rapid fat loss book now because people seem to be having good results with PSMF (or in your case, a modified version...). Just like you, I want results now. Id rather be miserable on a PSMF for a month or two then having to do a slow cut for the entire summer...

Did you take measurments/pictures before you started your cut? Seeing your waist size drop even if the scale says the same thing is still very encouraging IMO. When you are done cutting, a before/after shot posted would be very encouraging to people (like me) who are going to take a similar approach to weight loss as you.

RickTheDestroyer
04-24-2006, 02:02 PM
Thank you for the kind words gentlemen.
I started back on the diet (for real) today. For the past three days I've done PSMF until dinner time, at which point I ate real dinner (due to leftover birthday stuff, etc.), I figure I was probably coming in below maintenance though, as I'm at about 228.5 now and haven't had the PSMF water weight drop yet. I do look pretty lean though (for me), and I'm pretty happy about it. It's crazy what a little real food will do for your mental health.

I am a huge fan of the bathroom mirror posing- but you've hit the nail on the head- some days I feel great about what I see, and some days I want to just give up. I'd use pictures, but what I see never matches the mirror- which I'm hoping is due to lighting and a little bit of fisheye from the lens. I had intended to take beginning pictures and then take weekly updates and all that stuff, but I kept getting horrified so I never kept any of them. I'll take some "after" pictures when I'm satisfied though.

As far as measurements are concerned, I'm not generally too good about keeping track- I'll measure the arms periodically since I can do that myself, I'll measure the quads less regularly just to make sure they're growing, and I'll get others to measure my chest even less regularly, as that's one which is more obvious in the mirror. I used to measure my calves, but that was an exercise in futility so I've given up on that one.

So anyway yesterday's workout was very good. Bench with chains (heavy triples), pronated chins (to positive failure), squats with chains (also heavy triples), and some weighted spread-eagle situps. Squats felt really good and my knee didn't hurt until afterwards.

Sort of on a whim I decided to throw in some higher rep arm work. It had been forever since I'd done direct arm work, and even longer since I did anything in the hypertrophy-aimed range, and I'd sort of forgotten what pumped arms felt like. So I used my bands for curls and some pressdowns- two sets of 15 for each. Afterwards my right arm measured just under 17.25 (the right arm has been about a quarter inch larger since forever, but it's the one I usually measure so it's an way to keep track semi-consistently) and I'll measure again in a month and see if I gain anything. This is doubtful, given my low level of calories, but whatever. Of course if I feel like this starts hindering my main lifts then I'll ditch it immediately, but since I do want bigger arms, I figure a little direct work might not hurt, and really, it adds 5 extra minutes to my workout, which is nothing.

I also played too much Oblivion again. Man that game is phenomenal, although I'm not far at all yet. I have the reverse problem as far as eating- I'll wake up at 9 and take the dog out and eat coffee, and then it'll be like 3 in the afternoon and I'll have not eaten anything.

Nothing else to report really. I went to a Pipe Expo in Raleigh and won a sweet Meerschaum on ebay. Oh, and I still hate my job. :thumbup:

RickTheDestroyer
04-25-2006, 01:17 PM
227 this morning. Judging from that and the unbelievably long piss I took this morning, I'm guessing some of that water is dropping. No workout tonight since it's dork night, but I'll be lifting tomorrow. Since I don't expect to work out again until Saturday this sort of sucks, but it probably won't damage me in the long run, since I'm really just trying to maintain at this point.

I should note that I think I may actually be gaining a little bit of muscle each weekend. I know it sounds crazy, but I think it's true. I'm guessing that my Friday night dinner shifts me into an anabolic state, and that the recovery from Saturday's workout gets fed by the meal Saturday night. I'm obviously not above maintenance calories, but I really do think there's a chance that I may be building a little back on the weekends. I could be totally full of ****, though.

I feel pretty good today, and I'm getting happier about what I see in the mirror. I actually feel lean and huge (it should be noted that these are relative terms, as in actuality you would be surprised at how tiny, fat, and pathetically disgustingly weak someone can be at 6' tall, 225-230 pounds and 15-16% bodyfat).

RickTheDestroyer
04-27-2006, 02:09 PM
I've come in right around 225 the last two days.
Workout last night was excellent, and today my knee feels good but I am very sore. Overall appearance is more of the same- and I'm feeling pretty good about it. I got another compliment from my coworker about how much leaner I look. This is good.

PoutineEh
04-30-2006, 11:40 AM
hey again.
got a few questions. just wondering how ephedrine is working out for you? i have never used it before, but it seems amazing since it provides energy and suppresses hunger. i ordered some online last night. i wish i could buy them in the store because they seem to be very cheap compared to buying online and having to pay for shipping.

also, how many sets do you do for each bodypart?

i see your weight is dropping so your doing something right, keep up the hard work.

RickTheDestroyer
05-01-2006, 07:06 AM
Hey man,
Ephedrine is great, but start low and work your dose up gradually. It can be found very very cheap online, but you have to jump through some hoops to get it. Unfortunately I think that's the only way to get it without guaifenesin, but I usually just go to the gas station and stock up.

I generally do 3-5 work sets per exercise (and therefore bodypart, since I basically stick with one compound lift per bodypart per workout), but since I hit everything 3 times a week it adds up pretty well and I don't come out too drained.

Anyways, weight has been sitting at 230 all weekend- I ended up just eating at maintenance instead of just doing a cheat meal because I'm waiting for my protein to arrive in the mail and I'm stuck on regular food until then. I'm still the leanest I've been thus far though, so I guess things are going well, albeit still slower than I'd like.

I think that I've sort of inadvertantly moved into a sort of cyclical diet due to the placement of my cheat meals. My weight loss has also started to stall a little, but I haven't been as tight with the diet as I really need to be. The problem is that I'm hungry for real food. It's not that I'm feeling hunger in my stomach, or that I have acute episodes of really needing to eat, but I'm just hungry- I have a very strong craving to eat which is sitting just on the edge of my consciousness.

For all of these reasons, I think it's time to move to UD2 and start trying to lose that way. I'll keep the diet days very low calorie- probably about PSMF levels, and I'll try to keep the refeeds under control. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to handle the workouts yet- but I will probably change my Monday/Tuesday workout to a depletion workout- the second and third workouts can probably stay how they are as far as sets/reps are concerned, but I'll consult the book to be sure. I think this is probably the best course of action as my results on the PSMF seem to have slowed pretty drastically, even though I'm not as lean as I hoped to be before starting UD2, I'm probably around Lyle's recommendation of about 15%.

RickTheDestroyer
05-03-2006, 09:35 AM
222.5 this morning.
HOLY **** I forgot how bad depletion workouts suck. Unfortunately I can't split the workout over Monday/Tuesday as per Lyle's instructions due to a weekly Tuesday night commitment (which was actually moved to Monday this week). Unfortunately, there are no machines in Rick's House of Asscrushing (well, actually I'm glad about it, but it makes UD2 harder), so I had to do the depletion workout with free weights, and as a result I did not follow the instructions.

So I did 10-rep sets, eight for squats, five for bench and five sets of chins for however many I could do. This was an ugly workout, and I threw up between my chins and bench. I'm beginning to recall the fact that last time I I think I misread this part of UD2 and only did half of the prescribed sets, but still ended up with pretty good results from the diet. Anyway, I'm going to make some adjustments, I figure that as long as I get real burny in my muscles then I'm okay, for the most part.

So here's the plan- 6-8 sets of 12-15 reps, still sticking with squats, a push, and a pull. Last night kicked my ass with 8 sets of squats, but I think next time might be easier since I'm not used to training like this. I know this isn't as much volume as Lyle recommends, but frankly, there's no way in hell that I'm going to do 10 sets of 15 rep squats. I'm also going to use rows instead of chins, as that ended up being a really bad idea.

I'm still pretty convinced that making the switch to UD2 was the right thing to do (despite the ****ty workout last night), as I'm looking and feeling pretty good right now and I know that I'll feel great on Saturday morning. That and I'm really looking forward to the carb-load. :thumbup:

RickTheDestroyer
05-05-2006, 06:55 AM
Last night's workout was alright. 4x6 for squats/bench/chins. All went well and increased in weight, but my knee feels dreadful. I've been stretching some though and that's helping.
Weight is 227 or so. I'm not too concerned since my single goal right now is to get more clean(ish) carbs in. Yay!

RickTheDestroyer
05-08-2006, 11:19 AM
Weight is 227, but was as high as 233 over the weekend. Saturday's workout went great- I felt very strong and easily increased all poundages from last week, even though I didn't do the best job with my carb up. I actually probably ended up 300-500 grams short of my carb target, if not even farther away than that. I didn't look incredibly lean this weekend, but I looked BIG, which is very good for me psychologically. Anyway, aside from deciding that my bodyfat is probably much higher than I had previously thought, I think moving to UD2 was a good idea, and I'm pretty happy with the thought of losing fat but gaining a little more muscle and strength.

Anyway, the reason I ****ed up the carb load was because I drove to Winston-Salem on Friday night to see Arch Enemy play- the show was good, the other bands (Chimaira, God Forbid, Hate Eternal, Temple of... something...) were all good as well, although they made me pretty sad about my lack of metal guitar skills. I was hoping that at 6' and 230+ I'd finally be "the big guy" in the pit, but it turns out that the 300 pound fatasses still pretty much rule the roost. Oh well, I'm a little too old for that **** anyway... it made my knee feel like ****, too. Regardless, it was pretty ****ing awesome.

Really, between the lack of sleep Friday night, the botched carb load, and the sore knee and spinal erectors, it's pretty amazing that my workout Saturday morning went as incredibly well as it did. My knee actually felt better after the workout- I think there's something to be said for that. I've really been focusing on increasing the warmup sets- especially for squats. I think this has helped immensely.

Tonight is depletion again. I'll be doing the 6-8 sets of 12-15 reps as I stated earlier. I'll drop the weight a little from last time to account for the higher reps, and that way hopefully I'll be able to plug along without too much rest between sets and not kill myself. I can always add more weight later if it gets too easy.

RickTheDestroyer
05-09-2006, 11:37 AM
Weight is roughly 223. Depletion workout last night sucked, albeit not as bad as last week. 6x12-15 for bench, rows, and squats... except by the 5th set of squats I was fried so I called it a night- we also got started late so it was nearly 11 and that's past my bedtime. The high rep/enough sets of squats is continuing to be an issue. Maybe I'll try something else- like four sets of squats and then a few sets of lunges to the point of death by lactic acid. I dunno... I just think that squatting that much is aggravating my knee and is burning me out mentally.

Additionally, I'm pretty convinced that I've been kidding myself about my level of leanness. I have improved, and will continue to do so, but I think I'm considerably fatter than I had previously guessed. To this end I bought some calipers, which means I'll probably be depressed as hell in about a week or so. I don't know how accurate I'll be with them, but I figure once I get consistent I'll at least be able to monitor the progress I make, even if it's not an exact measurement. Also, I would advise anyone else buying calipers to go to ebay instead of being a dumbass like me and buying them full price (instead of getting them on ebay for $11, shipped). Oh well.

RickTheDestroyer
05-12-2006, 07:10 AM
225 this morning- up four pounds from yesterday.
The workout last night was hard- I was really weak and poundages were up for squats but down for everything else. I hope that this is indicative of me doing a better job with the depletion workout this time. Knee started feeling semi-bad after squats, but it feels alright today.

So I'm going to get back to eating- I'm pretty determined to get a better carb load in this week, and I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's workout.

Sensei
05-12-2006, 02:54 PM
Where are the weights in this log?????

WillKuenzel
05-12-2006, 03:44 PM
He doesn't want to be big and strong, he wants to be weak, small and cut. :p

RickTheDestroyer
05-16-2006, 08:28 AM
Damnit Will! Weak and small is the LAST thing I want... I'm just tired of the gut and so I decided to do something about it. Seriously, I've got this idea in my head that once I get lean I'll manage to keep my bodyfat under better control from here on out. Historically I haven't gotten that much fatter when I bulk, so I'm hoping that I'll be able to keep that up at lower bodyfat levels. I'm probably dreaming, though. I've also got it in my head that I'm going to try working as a personal trainer (as I ****ing hate my job and am no longer considering the pursuit of a PhD in psychology, and have sort of run out of other options...), and so I think it would be in my best interest to look at least semi-decent.

Sensei- the weights aren't in here because generally I post at work and my log stays in my gym. They're also absolutely pathetic, but at least they're going up. For the most part throughout this diet, depletion days have been done with around a wheel per side for bench/squats/rows, and heavier days have been with just under two wheels per side, plus chains for the triples. Chins have been done somewhere between bodyweight and bodyweight +45lb., depending on reps and state of starvation/carb depletion.

Frankly, I'm pretty embarrassed that my squat is so close to my bench. This is a point of great frustration for me. It's like a cycle- my knee will start hurting, so I'll drop the weight and make changes to my form, then the knee will feel better, I'll start getting used to the motion, and then my knee will start hurting again. I've been working with a narrower ATF squat now, and my knee generally feels okay- I just need to not try to compare my numbers now to my numbers from when I did wider PL squats to parallel.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, all of this aside, Saturday's workout went reasonably well- I was rushed because my girlfriend was graduating, so I had to cut out a set of each exercise. Unfortunately, I got pretty nasty pain in my knee and had to stop after two sets of squats. I really need to make a point of stretching daily, because that usually helps things. I do think that the pain was due to being tight and not warmed up enough- I'm really hoping like hell that this squatting position doesn't start giving me problems because I'm really running out of options... I could go to a damn doctor, I suppose.

I think I did better with my carb-up this week. I went from 221 last Thursday to 231 Saturday morning. I'm back down to 224 this morning. Last night's depletion workout was the least ****ty so far. Rather than concerning myself as much with sets/reps/weights/whatever, I basically just tried to get really good and burny- so I did a lot of really slow reps and partial reps and just mixed it up until I felt pretty depleted. I think this may be the best way to do this with the equipment I've got, even if it's not too scientific.

Ugh. I seriously need to get on with my job search, pronto. :(

RickTheDestroyer
05-17-2006, 07:43 AM
219 this morning. No weights until tomorrow. I'd say that I'd do some cardio tonight, but I probably won't unless my yard has dried out.
My calipers came yesterday, and after a few minutes of fiddling with them I got to the point where I was pretty consistently measuring at about 15-16%, so maybe I wasn't guessing wrong. Or maybe I'm measuring in the wrong place.
My first attempts were almost certainly wrong- as my mid-gut measures kept coming out to 30+%, which is definitely wrong... I'm fat, but not that fat. So a little lower down the skin pulls away from the muscle easily and folds nicely, and so I measured there... I'm guessing that's probably the place I was trying to find. Even if it's not exact, as long as I'm consistent I can track the progress.

RickTheDestroyer
05-19-2006, 08:28 AM
225 this morning (since carb up started last night). Workout last night was good. I decided to start pyramiding the weights these days- 5x5 of squats, weighted chins, and overhead presses. I kept the weights easy, and expect to add 5-10 pounds to everything next Thursday. I feel like I'm starting to dial in this diet and workout, so all is pretty much good.

RickTheDestroyer
05-22-2006, 09:25 AM
So I botched the carb load this week. I made the mistake of going to Cici's pizza for lunch on Friday and it was way overkill on the fat intake. I don't think that I screwed it up bad enough to have messed up the diet, but I know that I didn't make as much progress as I would have. Unfortunately I have celebration dinners planned at Maggiano's this coming Friday and the next Friday. I'll try to keep it under control though.

However, Saturday's workout went really well. I made a couple of changes this week. The main change was that I decided to pyramid my weights instead of doing straight sets, as I was sort of inspried from Thursday. It felt good to handle some slightly heavier weights.

The second change was that I decided to give the old powerlifting stance a try for the squats. I pretty easily hit 275lb. (plus 50lbs of chains at the top) for two, and honestly could have probably hit between one and three more but I didn't want to push it too hard. This is really pretty good for me- my previous squat max was 300 even for one- which I believe I could hit now, and more solidly than I did before. I was feeling pretty bad about maxing less than I did a year and a half ago due to knee and ankle injuries, but I think I can safely say that I'm now at my absolute strongest, even if that's still pretty ****ing weak. I'll still be doing the Rippetoe-style full squats in my other workouts.

Unfortunately, my dork night got moved to Thursday this week, which screws up my pre-carb load workout. I decided to take this as an opportunity to diet a little harder- I'm going to basically just do diet days until next Thursday. I'll treat Friday night as a cheat meal and keep the other days pretty low calorie- probably not PSMF low, but lower than a standard UD2 diet day. I think this will ultimately be beneficial. I'll probably do a depletion workout tonight anyway, since that seems to help me burn fat more effectively.

On another note, I'm thinking more and more that I'm probably dealing with puberty gyno and not just tit fat... so I'm ordering some tamoxifen citrate. I'm probably going to run 60mg a day for 40 days and see how it works... unless I'd be better off with 40mg a day for 60 days. If it doesn't do a thing, then I'm only out $68 and that's a risk I'm willing to take if it might work. Fingers are crossed, though.

RickTheDestroyer
05-23-2006, 08:37 AM
Forgot to weigh myself this morning.
Depletion workout last night went well, although I think I need to go a little heavier with it. I replaced about half of my squat sets with Bulgarian split squats, which I had never tried before but rather enjoyed... well, I don't know if "enjoyed" is exactly what I mean, but you know. I think they got the job done, and with lots of sets of high-rep squats I start getting nausiated before anything else.

No weights tonight but I got ahold of an old tire this weekend and I'm going to make an attempt to do some sled dragging. I may pick up a sledgehammer while I'm at the hardware store too. I think it would probably be in my best interest to get less lazy and start waking up 30-40 minutes early every morning to do some GPP or HIIT. I'm going to work on that.

JoeG
05-23-2006, 08:50 AM
I am in almost the exact same situation as you and I know it can get frustrating. Still it sounds like you are doing pretty well so just keep hitting it hard and I'm sure you'll get where you want to be.

Your squats are WAY better than mine so props to you for that.

RickTheDestroyer
05-25-2006, 09:54 AM
Joe- I do honestly appreciate the encouragement. It helps to know that others can share my frustrations and empathize a little.

Anyway, I'm about 220 today. I look alright, but maybe not as good as I did this time last week. Cici's really might have ****ed me up. Oh well, lesson learned. I made a sled with my tire and some rope. The tire nicely cradles a 45lb plate, but I think anything else will probably fall through, so I'll want to figure a solution out for that in the near future if I'm going to do any of those different dragging methods that Dave Tate recommends.

So Tuesday night I dragged the sled up and down the street a little. I'm not sure of the distance, but it kicked my ass pretty good. I did three trips forwards and one trip backwards. I had no idea that just one 45lb plate would be that hard. I am truly in terrible, terrible shape.

Because of this, adjustments have been made. The past two mornings, I have woken up 25 minutes early and done some sort of GPP. Yesterday I did Javorek's "barbell complex 1", (http://www.istvanjavorek.com/page2.html)and this morning I dragged the sled again. I really liked complex 1, but I think that the sled dragging might be a little too much of a production for the morning, so I'm going to save that for nights that I don't lift. On the mornings of workout days I'll do complex 1, and on the other mornings I'm thinking of something like this:
(in continuous cycles until I miss a rep)
3 Chins
5 Dips
3 Overhead squats

I don't think that any of this will do enough to impact my lifting negatively- I'm trying to start really easy to give myself some time to adjust.
Actually I've really enjoyed the little bit of exercise as the very first thing each morning- I've been waking up faster and have felt better and more energetic all day. These are all good things.

Anyway, the workout last night went pretty well (weights for Sensei, if he ever comes back):
Squats (Rippetoe style):
5x140lb.
5x170lb.
5x190lb.
5x210lb.
3x230lb.
(I should have gotten 5, but my knee felt a little iffy so I decided not to push it- stretching post workout made the pain go away though, which is nice.)

Chins (at 220lb.)
5, 6, 6, 6, 6

Press
5x80lb.
5x90lb.
5x100lb.
5x110lb.
5x120lb.
(I'm still getting used to pressing weight overhead without any leg drive. These were too easy but they get heavier every week so that should take care of itself.)
Anyway, all lifts are up 5 pounds. I'm going to drop a set from these- I'm not really sure why I started doing 5x5 instead of 3x5, but it's too much while I'm this hungry. Hopefully by dropping a set I'll be able to keep the weights going up and not kill myself.

Okay, last thing for this long-ass post... started taking some tamoxifen citrate yesterday- 60mg a day. I recall reading about how it tastes bad, but I don't remember anyone pointing out that it's made from Satan's distilled ******* sweat. It's not as bad as arginine, but it's gross. Hopefully that'll take care of the titties by the time I'm happy with my level of lean-ness.

RickTheDestroyer
05-30-2006, 09:58 AM
Weight is around 223. I've been feeling pretty run down, so I've been eating all weekend, although still slightly below maintenance. I think that 223 is probably about my "real" weight- not depleted, and not carbed up to the supercompensated max.

I've had two workouts since my last post.
First workout was 4x5 squats/bench and 3 sets of chins to failure, second workout was 4x5 squats/press/rows. Squats all Rippetoe style.
I don't have my log with me at work, but I believe I added 5lb. to the squat (and hit all five reps) first workout, and I think the top bench set was 215lb. for five, and chins were 8,7,7 at a bodyweight of 224 or so.
Second workout I added 2.5lb. to the squat, 5lb. to the press, and hit 5x195lb for the top set of rows- which are done (almost) parallel to the ground and deloaded on the ground each rep.

Morning mini-workouts have continued to be a good thing. I ended up not doing them this weekend however, as I did a lot of swimming and yardwork and helped a friend move. The non workout day ended up being 3 chins/5 dips/5 Bulgarian split squats- cycled for as many as I can do in 7 minutes. I'm hideously out of shape so this kicks my ass. Next week I'll up it to 8 minutes and keep adding until I hit 12, at which point I'll just start trying to go through faster instead of adding more time.

No weights tonight or tomorrow, just a morning C/D/S cycle and some sled dragging tomorrow evening. I don't know if the nolva is really helping with the tits yet (I'm not expecting it to), but I think my chest is looking better. That might be from being outside more, though.

RickTheDestroyer
05-31-2006, 09:20 PM
219 this morning. Did some lighter, more varied sled dragging in the evening, and the chins/dips/BSS in the morning.
I set up a fitday account (http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=RickTheDestroyer). It looks like I found a setting for "lifestyle" that pretty accurately accounts for a non-lifting day, and then I can just add workouts on lifting days. I probably need to cut some of the milk out. :(

RickTheDestroyer
06-02-2006, 11:05 AM
225 this morning, started the carb up last night. I had been keeping track in fitday but then I decided that I would need to add too many foods for the carb up, so I'll probably just use fitday for diet days.
Workout last night was terrible- I felt really weak throughout. I'm not exactly sure what happened with this, although I can think of a couple possibilities. I suspect that it's either because I started carbing up about 1 1/2 hours before the workout (instead of 30 minutes), or because I've had a lot of stressful stuff going on at work this week (which luckily ended yesterday but I'm still wiped out). The other possibility is that I'm tiring myself out with the GPP stuff and I know that I'm not really getting enough sleep.

Anyway, I'm not going to write all the poundages- I tried to add 2.5 to squats and bench and both went terribly, so I only got a triple for the top squat set (at 235lb... which I should have smoked, judging from my last workout), and I decided to use the same weight for my last two sets of bench instead of pyramiding up to my new target set (217.5 was the target I think). We are not pleased. I think I'm just a little rundown, so I'm going to carb up, take it pretty easy today, and look forward to some strong lifts on Saturday.

Nothing else to note, although I've been trying to use my foam roller more for some active recovery. I'm hoping that this will help some of my chronic knee pain. When I saw a doctor in college for my knee, she said that I had a lot of tightness in what I've now learned is my iliotibial band, and told me to stretch it, which helped some... I gotta say though, my roller seems to hit this much more effectively and leg rolling has given me some of the most pain I've ever experienced. Hopefully that just means I (k)need it. Ha.

RickTheDestroyer
06-05-2006, 09:22 AM
Ugh. Frustration and irritation are high right now.
Terrible workout on Saturday- actually, pretty terrible day over all. I tried going PL style for the squats again, with the intention of hitting a triple at 275 plus chains... and instead I got flattened (thank you power rack safety bars!). The lift shouldn't have been easy, but I should have hit it. Afterward I managed to pinch my finger between two plates, too. I did get all my sets on bench though, and chins were decent. Overall it was not a good workout and not a good day.

Two straight workouts of missed weights indicates a problem. I know for a fact that I'm not sleeping enough. I'm going to really work hard this week to get the sleep into the 7-8 hours/night range. I'm going to take a few days off from lifting (I'll still do my best to do morning workouts/be active in the evenings), and not hit the weights again until Thursday. I'm going to eat a little more as well- maybe not quite maintenance, but less of a deficit- I'm going to shoot for 2800-3000 calories or so, through Thursday at least.

I think it's also time to seriously evaluate my progress with this diet and redetermine the length of time I plan to do this. I think that I need to be more realistic and patient with this rather than just trying to get lean as fast as possible so that I can get back to bulking. To this end, I'm going to drop the UD2. Although I look the best I've looked, the extreme cycling and strictly set diet/workout days are making me nuts.

The lowered calories themselves haven't made me particularly miserable, and so I think that treating this as sort of an overall diet and lifestyle change is not a bad idea. I'm going to eat at about 1000 calories below maintenance each day- which should put me between 2000 and 2300 depending on how much my metabolism has crashed from dieting thus far. I'll still probably get most of my calories from protein shakes, keep carbs about where they are (75-100 grams a day), and increase my fat intake for the bulk of the added calories (as I'm pulling in about 20 grams a day right now). I think that this way I'll be able to transition out of this to healthier eating habits and I'll have an easier time staying lean once I get there.

I'm going to change the workouts too. The volume isn't that high right now, but I'm going to go back to an upper/lower/upper/lower split. Even though that will be more days in the weight room, they'll be shorter workouts and I'll be able to maintain intensity and energy better. My diet just can't support three fullbodies a week right now, as is indicated by my missed reps. I am well aware of the fact that I've jumped from diet to diet and split to split in the past two months, but I think this will hopefully be the last drastic change that I make. Anyway... fingers crossed, still determined.

RickTheDestroyer
06-07-2006, 08:30 AM
I've been around 220 for the past couple of days. I feel and look pretty good. I think I needed the little break, and I'm feeling really optimistic about how I'm planning to proceed from here. Frustration and irritation are not as bad now.
Anyway, usual morning stuff today and I'm going swimming tonight. Diet has been pretty good, and about 500 calories below maintenance.

JoeG
06-07-2006, 09:49 AM
Just keep at it. Cutting sucks and I think it is harder for some of us than for others. Still we know it is worth doing.
So we all just have to push through it. Keep your mind right like you seem to be and you'll get there for certain.

MixmasterNash
06-07-2006, 11:41 AM
What do the chains weigh? Have yuo been doing any HIIT?

Your chins are relly good, at your BW, by the way.

RickTheDestroyer
06-08-2006, 08:43 AM
I truly appreciate the support, Joe. Cutting does suck indeed, but I'm so tired of being fat that I'm going to tough it out.

Nash the chains are probably slighty over 25 pounds each, but since two or three links stay on the ground I generally count them as 25 pounds a side. I made the set out of **** from Home Depot for about $45, and they're set up so I can add more chain when I get to the point that I need more. I've been meaning to take some pictures of them and provide step-by-step assembly instructions in the PL forum, but I just haven't had a chance.

I have not been doing any true HIIT, although I really should- I just struggle to find someplace to fit it in. I think that the morning weight stuff is serving a fairly similar purpose, although some HIIT sprints would really do my fat ass some good.

Also, many thanks on the chins- that means an awful lot coming from someone who's such an expert at climbing/pullup related stuff. Maybe one day my lats will decide to ****ing grow a little if I keep it up.

RickTheDestroyer
06-08-2006, 08:53 PM
Man... fantastic workout tonight. Did an upper day, and it felt really good. If this looks push heavy (which it is), bear in mind that I'll be doing a much more back-heavy upper body day on Monday.
Anyway.
Bench (with chains):
5x135lb.
5x155lb.
5x175lb.
5x195lb.
5x205lb.

Chins (Overhand):
8, 8, 7

Overhead Barbell Press:
7x115lb.
7x105lb.
8x105lb.

Elbows-Out Tricep Extensions:
15 w/2 mini bands
15 w/2 mini bands

The last set of bench was about all I had in me, and so the overhead pressing was much harder than I had anticipated. Chins felt really strong- and were strict for the first set and about the first 4-5 reps of the last two sets. The tricep extensions were sort of an experiment, and an attempt at an explanation will probably not elucidate things further. Basically I did elbows-out extensions like one would do with dumbbells, but instead I used the bands exclusively for resistance and sat upright. They felt good.
Deadlifts on Saturday. Depending on how I'm feeling, I'll either do heavy triples or I'll try to hit a PR (which will probably be a bad idea).

JustinASU
06-09-2006, 11:27 AM
Hey bro. I'm happy to hear that you curbing off the crash diets and looking at eating healthier overall (I say this as I put down 4 pieces of pizza). I'm beyond excited that we get to hit the weights together tomorrow, just like old times *tear*. I'm sorer than **** so you'll prolly out-dead me ;)

Anyways, workouts are looking strong. If you want the latties to grow do 50 pullups every upper session. Seriously.

RickTheDestroyer
06-10-2006, 02:20 PM
Great workout today with Justin's big ass.
Deadlifts:
8x135lb.
4x225lb.
2x275lb.
1x315lb.
1x370lb. (PR by 5 pounds)
1x405lb. (!!!)
2xmissx410lb.

Justin insisted that I keep going after hitting the 405lb, but I think we both knew it wasn't going to happen. Couldn't get it to budge on the first one and got about an inch on the second. Still- a 40 pound PR feels pretty ****ing good. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Bulgarian Split Squats:
8x50lb.
8x50lb.
8x50lb.

This was my first time trying these with weight. We'll go up next week. Followed these with a few very tired sets of calves and abs.

RickTheDestroyer
06-12-2006, 08:30 AM
Had a bunch of people over Saturday night after the workout and a little too much to drink. Actually it was a lot too much to drink.
Oh Unibroue thou art the death of me.

Anyway, I puked a lot, slept badly, ate badly, and felt like **** all day yesterday. Between the deads and the self-abuse, I still feel bad today. I'm really run down and sore so I kept the dips/chins/BSS easy today (just three cycles) and then did some work with the roller. No workout tonight. I'm going to take it easy tonight and hope to kick some ass tomorrow.

RickTheDestroyer
06-12-2006, 02:47 PM
So despite all my self-abuse this weekend, the mirror looks pretty damn good today, with a weight of 224 this morning. I've still got a damn long way to go, but I'm not as hopeless about this as I have been.

I've got my diet planned out and squared away- I'm going to basically go along with what I said previously, although I'm going to bring the carbs up a little bit on workout days. These will be mostly in the morning and around workouts. I'm more or less working around CT's carb cycling for dummies (with fewer carbs and more fat) and Lyle's recommendations for how hard one can cut based on the amount of fat you're carrying.
I'm shooting for 2545 calories on two of my workout days (255p/230c/70f), 2365 calories on my other two workout days (255p/185c/70f), and 2045 calories on my three off days (255p/125c/70f). I used my estimated LBM to determine calorie/protein targets, rather than using my actual weight.

Since I've been eating at roughly 2650 calories for the past week (with the exception of my binge-tacular weekend), this won't really be much of a change- I'm just going to cut some of the milk and other carbs out on off days, and otherwise just work on timing the carbs earlier in the day.

RickTheDestroyer
06-14-2006, 08:03 AM
I'm still right around 220, but the appearance is improving. Diet is shaping up nicely, although I need to work on timing more of my carbs after my workout
Solid workout last night.
Barbell Rows (underhand, low angle):
10x45lb.
5x95lb.
5x135lb.
5x155lb.
5x170lb.
5x185lb.
5x195lb.

Incline Dumbell Press:
8x56lb./arm
8x56lb./arm
10x56lb./arm

Power Shrugs:
5x255lb.
5x255lb.

Face Pulls:
20xmini band

Band Hammer Curls:
15x2 mini bands
15x2 mini bands

The rows felt good, I could have maybe gone a little heavier, but I'm trying to be strict with the form. The presses were way too light- my dumbbells are adjustable olympic handles, so they're more cumbersome than they are heavy. I really like dumbbells for pressing though, so I'll either find a solution or just deal with it.

Sidior
06-14-2006, 08:57 AM
solid past few workouts...congrats on 4pps for deads, it is a huge milestone!

RickTheDestroyer
06-15-2006, 08:53 AM
Sidior- thanks for the support man. The workouts have felt better since I took those extra days off. I agree about 4pps being a big milestone- I had been psyching myself up for that lift about a week ahead of time. I'm sure glad it went up.

Last night's workout was not as solid, and I accidentally ate about 300 more calories than I had meant to yesterday. I thought that I had already refreshed my fitday so I chugged a quick shake and some gatorade to hit my macro targets, and then I realized that I hadn't saved one of my previous changes... oh well.

Workout was subpar last night, mostly I felt rundown and my squats weren't good.
Squats (Rippetoe Style):
2x10x45lb.
5x95lb.
5x135lb.
5x165lb.
5x185lb.
5x205lb.
5x225lb.

Snatch-Grip Romanian Deadlifts:
8x175lb.
6x175lb.
6x175lb.

One-Legged Fatboy Calf Raises (Lyle style):
5xBW
5xBW
5xBW

Spread-Eagle Situps
10x30lb.
10x30lb.
10x30lb.

Squats felt way heavier than they should have, but everything else was fine. Yesterday I tried to follow the carb cyling guidelines more closely and took in most of my carbs around my workout. I generally don't lift until 8 or so, so this left me feeling a little too run down and weak by workout time. I think I may move more of the carbs to the morning, maybe so it's split 50/50 and not 25/75. I'll mess around with it until it works for me.

KevinStarke
06-15-2006, 09:02 AM
Congrats on the 405 deadlift man! 4 plates is a big milestone good job. Great workouts all around.

RickTheDestroyer
06-16-2006, 09:12 AM
Kevin- thank you very much- I assure you it was not nearly as smooth as when you hit your recent PR, but I'll get there eventually. I have to say, I'm still totally in awe of your old double bodyweight dip video- that was ****ing crazy impressive.

Anyway- I split the carbs closer to 50/50 yesterday, and I think it really helped, as I had much more energy for my workout, even though it was the first time I've worked out three days in a row in a long time.
My weight is hovering around 220 but dropping slowly. My appearance seems to be improving faster than my weight is dropping, and that's good. I'm coming in about 1-1.5mm lower with the calipers, and I think the Nolva is really helping with the overall appearance of my chest.

Workout was hard, but everything went up as planned.

Bench (with chains):
5x137.5lb.
5x160lb.
5x180lb.
5x200lb.
3,2x210lb.

Chins (Overhand):
6, 8, 8

Overhead Barbell Press:
8x107.5lb.
8x107.5lb.
8x107.5lb.

Band Pressdowns:
(one mini band per arm)
12, 10

I don't know what happened with the first set of chins- they were just hard. The other sets went much more easily. On my last set of bench I forgot that we had put 35s on the floor so that my short workout partner's feet could touch- after 3 reps I realized that they were screwing up my arch so I got up, tossed them, and finished my set. I'm okay with that, and I'm still going to count it as one set. I tried doing the tricep work differently from last time, and it felt great.

I was pretty beat this morning so I took the miniworkout pretty easy- I subbed in fatboy rows for chins and elevated pushups for the dips- with the goal being more for active recovery than increased workload. I think this was sucessful, and I still got to go to work with a nice alpha-male-feeling full body pump.

JoeG
06-20-2006, 06:54 AM
Great job on the 405 deads. that had to feel pretty good slapping four wheels on and pulling it.

RickTheDestroyer
06-20-2006, 11:06 AM
Thanks a bunch, Joe. Unfortunately I only have six 45s at my house, so it was those plus some little plates. Still weighed 405 though. :)

So I've been real busy at work lately and haven't had a chance to update for a little while. Appearance is continuing to improve. My weight doesn't really seem to be budging at this point, however, so I may either a) cut a little bit harder (by maybe 200 calories a day or so) or b) eat at 3000 calories a day for 2 weeks to help my metabolism get de-****ed and then return to dieting. One thing that I've gotten a lot better about lately is that if I eat meals that aren't being prepared by me, I've been working to eat more veggies, to keep it as clean as possible with the given options, and to better manage my portions.

Saturday was deadlifts. I did triples and didn't push myself too hard. The maxing out last week was basically only because Justin was in town.
Anyway-

Deadlifts:
8x135lb.
3x225lb.
3x265lb.
3x295lb.
3x315lb.
3x335lb.

Bulgarian Split Squats:
8x55lb.
8x55lb.
8x55lb.

Followed these with three sets of calves, some russian twists, and some weighted spread-eagle situps. I'll increase everything next week.

Last night was back-focused upper:
Barbell Rows (underhand, low angle):
10x45lb.
5x95lb.
5x135lb.
5x160lb.
5x175lb.
5x190lb.
5x200lb.

Incline Dumbell Press:
8x72lb./arm
8x67lb./arm
8x67lb./arm

Power Shrugs:
5x265lb.
5x265lb.

Face Pulls:
20xmini band

Band Hammer Curls:
15x2 mini bands

Rows were tough, but I got through them. Incline press was still too light, but I'm really kind of limited by my dumbbell handles- they're just too cumbersome. I'm also a little out of practice at kicking them up. I'll probably need to address this before next week. I was pretty tired at the end of the workout so I only did one set of curls. I don't think that this is a problem.

I ended up doing lighter back stuff for the mini workout this morning- I think I'll continue doing that after my main back day, and I'll switch it for after my main push day.

KevinStarke
06-20-2006, 12:48 PM
Solid deadlift triples man, good stuff.

RickTheDestroyer
06-20-2006, 02:12 PM
Thanks man. They're coming on up anyway. I had done a triple at 335 before, but it was while I was bulking, and it sure didn't go up as easily.
I think I probably could have hit maybe 10-20lbs more, but I'd rather make my targets reachable and be able to continue making progress longer than hit a plateau in two weeks. Then again, I am planning on taking a hint from westside and swapping my main heavy compound out every 3 weeks, so maybe that won't ever be an issue.

RickTheDestroyer
06-22-2006, 08:32 AM
Weight is still 220. I think appearance is continuing to improve.
Last night's workout was totally ****. I'm so frustrated with my squats that I can't ****ing see straight. I'm going to give them a little break for awhile and start working with different squat variations instead. ****.

Squats (Rippetoe Style):
2x10x45lb.
5x95lb.
5x140lb.
5x170lb.
5x190lb.
5x210lb.
3x230lb.
2x230lb.

6x180lb.
6x180lb.
8x180lb.

5xBW
5xBW

Spread-Eagle Situps
10x35lb.
10x35lb.

Anyway, squats were terrible. Second to last set felt pretty strong, and then the last one just sucked. I did the three reps, racked it, waited 10 seconds, and then did 2 more. Total ****ing bull****.

I've got a ton of **** planned tonight, so no workout- I might be doing my push-heavy upper day early tomorrow morning instead, but that's kind of up in the air right now, and odds are pretty good that I'll just skip it. With that in mind, I decided to make the morning mini-workout a little harder today.

For time:
Chins-7,6,5,4,3,2,1
Dips-7,6,5,4,3,2,1
BSS-7,6,5,4,3,2,1

I think this took me something terrible like 8-10 minutes. I probably could have done it faster, except that I'm an out-of-shape fatass.

JoeG
06-24-2006, 10:30 AM
Don't get so down on your self Dude. The world is full of people who couldn't do 7 Chins to save their life much less do them on a decline like that.

Don't sweat the squats either. Sometimes you just don't have it that day. Take that break and get your mind right. You'll be back blowing through them in no time.

RickTheDestroyer
06-25-2006, 09:26 AM
Joe- As always, thanks for the support Bro. I'm actually pretty happy with the shape my chins are in, but cardio and GPP are really pretty sad, which is why I'll keep working to improve them.

I think I've sort of mind-****ed myself with the squats- like now I get under the bar and doubt myself instead of being confident. I need to break that cycle in any way possible, and I think the answer is going to be that I'm not going to do regular back squats for awhile. I'll do box squats, squats with chains, front squats- hell anything I can think of, until my confidence gets back where it needs to be.

Anyway, yesterday's workout was pretty solid:
Deadlifts:
8x135lb.
3x225lb.
3x270lb.
3x305lb.
3x325lb.
3x345lb.

Bulgarian Split Squats:
8x60lb.
8x72lb.
8x72lb.

5xBW
5xBW

Spread-Eagle Situps
10x35lb.

Russian Twists:
10x15lb.
10x15lb.

I really had to grind out the last deadlift, but that was still the heaviest triple that I've ever pulled. Pretty satisfying workout overall. Actually, aside from the squat frustration, I'm pretty satisfied with almost everything right now- my weight is about 219, but my bodyfat levels are definitely dropping (according to Mr. Mirror and Mrs. Calipers) and I feel generally pretty good. This whole "cutting more slowly with well-timed carb (and calorie) placement" was a pretty ****ing good call.

RickTheDestroyer
06-27-2006, 08:56 AM
Weight is 219ish. I haven't been keeping up with my fitday as much, but I always eat the same ****, so I have a pretty good idea of where I'm coming in. Still continuing to get leaner, slowly. More stretchmarks are appearing throughout my armpits and pecs.

Anyway, last night was back-focused upper:
Fatboy Rows:
5xBW
5xBW+25lb.
5xBW+35lb.
5xBW+45lb.
5xBW+55lb.
5xBW+65lb.

Incline Dumbell Press:
8x72lb./arm
8x72lb./arm
8x72lb./arm

Power Shrugs:
5x275lb.
5x275lb.

Face Pulls:
20xmini band

Band Hammer Curls:
15x2 mini bands

Fatboy rows are just basically chins with my legs resting on the bar, which is set at squat height. They're easier than chins but my main goal was to change the angle of attack. I added weight with my dip belt, but this got pretty cumbersome. I may need to figure something else out next time.

JoeG
06-27-2006, 09:20 AM
Nice shrugs there dude. It must be nice to start seeing the results of leaning up. That has got to help keep you pumped and motivated.

RickTheDestroyer
06-29-2006, 08:47 AM
Thanks man. My traps are definitely one of my weaker areas, so I'm hoping the shrugs will help with that... plus I think that more explosive movements can really only help me. The continually improving appearance is very motivating- it is very satisfying to catch just a glimpse of what I'll have if I stick with it.

Anyway, last night was quad-heavy legs:
Box Squats (to a 12.5" tall box)
2x10x45lb.
5x95lb.+chains
5x135lb.+chains
5x165lb.+chains
5x185lb.+chains
5x205lb.+chains

8x185lb.
8x185lb.

Spread-Eagle Situps
10x40lb.

Ended up cutting the workout a little short last night. I made the mistake of eating Shrimp Vindaloo for dinner and I kept getting spicy vomit burps all through my RDLs, so I stopped because I didn't want to puke up all of dinner. Everything felt pretty strong. Squats were hard, but still very doable. 12.5" sounds pretty low but I usually go slightly lower so it was a little bit of an adjustment.

JoeG
06-29-2006, 09:09 AM
Nice job on the squats. I have the same thing about watching what I eat before I lift sometimes. I discovered that cajun food is always bad before deads.

RickTheDestroyer
06-30-2006, 11:34 AM
Yeah dude- I love spicy food, but deads of any sort almost always make me a little pukey, so I'm going to try harder not to make things worse next time.

My weight is still about 219. I'm going to try to shave another 200 calories or so off of my daily intake so that the fat keeps coming off, although I don't really mind the idea of staying over 210 at this point if I can manage to get as lean as I want.

Anyway, last night was push-focused upper.
Pin Presses (set about 2-3" off my chest):
5x95lb.
5x135lb.
5x185lb.
5x205lb.
5x225lb.
4,1x235lb.

Chins (Overhand):
9, 8, 6.5

Overhead Barbell Press:
8x110lb.
7x110lb.
7.5x110lb.

Band Pressdowns:
(one mini band per arm)
9, 8

Pin presses were harder than I anticipated, and they totally fried my triceps for the rest of the workout- which messed up my overhead pressing and my pushdowns, but that's okay since the primary exercise is the most important. I ended up cheating up another rep for the last set of chins and overhead presses, hence the ".5" for the reps.

Felt pretty destroyed this morning, so I kept the morning stuff pretty light.

RickTheDestroyer
07-02-2006, 06:01 AM
Typing this in real quick- I'm heading off to the beach in about an hour and a half and I'll gone till Wednesday night.
Yesterday was my deadlift/lower pull day:

Good Mornings*:
5x45lb. (3 sets)
3x95lb.
3x115lb.
3x135lb.
3x155lb.
3x175lb.
1x175lb.

Bulgarian Split Squats:
8x112lb.
8x112lb.
8x112lb.

5xBW
5xBW

Spread-Eagle Situps
10x40lb.

Russian Twists:
10x15lb.
10x15lb.

For the good mornings, I had a mini band looped around the pin and upright of the rack on each side- with the end result being that it pulled me mostly down but a little forward. the extra one at the end was to make sure my form was still okay using heavier weight.
Added a lot to the Bulgarian split squats, they had been way too easy before and I wanted to be pushing myself a little harder on them each week. Mission accomplished. And now I have to go pack.

Stumprrp
07-02-2006, 07:15 AM
nice workout bro have fun at the beach, have a few beers and burgers on me :D

RickTheDestroyer
07-09-2006, 11:23 AM
Thanks bro- beers indeed. I had a pretty good time- aside from the sunburn and the fact that I was in cramped quarters with my family for 5 days. Basically I ate and drank and chilled in a hammock and read books and cruised around in a golf cart with Slayer blasting. It was a pretty good time.

Tried to do some damage control workouts on my aunt's bowflex, which was basically a total waste of time. My little brother had no problem "stacking" it for 10 reps, and his max bench is maybe 125. I also managed to hurt my right knee (surprise!) while trying to figure out how to leg press or something with the bowflex. Bad idea.

Yesterday was pull-based lower:
Good Mornings (same band set up as last time):
10x45lb.
3x95lb.
3x125lb.
3x145lb.
3x165lb.
3x185lb.

Bulgarian Split Squats:
8x120lb.
8x120b.

Spread-Eagle Situps
10x45lb.
10x45lb.

Good mornings went well. Felt strong and I had the motion down better. Knee pain flared up on first set of split squats, so the second set was only for the left side, which still hurt the right knee so I did some abs and said "**** this ****". Hopefully it'll feel better by Tuesday for box squats.

Diet has been **** all week, and weight is up a pound or two. I'll kick the diet back into full gear tomorrow, and I've restocked on ephedrine so that should help. I'm also going to get my fat ass outside for some HIIT, hopefully.

JoeG
07-09-2006, 12:52 PM
Nice looking GM's dude. Bowflex makes baby jesus cry.

RickTheDestroyer
07-10-2006, 09:05 PM
Thanks bro. I really like the way I've been setting the bands up to pull me forward too- it makes it so you really have push hard with your hips to lock the weight up at the top.

Diet was practically perfect today, and the workout went well.
It was back-focused upper tonight:
Fatboy Rows:
5xBW
5xBW+30lb.
5xBW+40lb.
5xBW+50lb.
5xBW+60lb.
5xBW+70lb.

Incline Dumbell Press:
8x75lb./arm
8x75lb./arm
8x75lb./arm

Power Shrugs:
5x295lb.
5x295lb.

Face Pulls:
20xmini band

Band Hammer Curls:
15x2 mini bands

Acceptable progress on all the main lifts. Had to make a big jump with the shrugs because all my smaller plates were being used for the dumbbells. They ended up being pretty damn hard.
I need to invest in another 300lb set.

RickTheDestroyer
07-12-2006, 08:06 AM
Pretty good workout last night. Knee didn't hurt and I felt pretty strong. Weight's holding, appearance still slowly improving. Diet has been ****ing perfect for the last few days.
Also, I've been really consistent with my foam roller-ing and flexibility/dynamic warmups and I think it's making a pretty big difference in how I feel day-to-day.

Anyway, push-focused legs:
Box Squats (to a 12.5" tall box):
15x45lb.
5x95lb.+chains
5x140lb.+chains
5x170lb.+chains
5x190lb.+chains
5x210lb.+chains

8x190lb.
8x190lb.
8x190lb.

Spread-Eagle Situps
10x45lb.
10x45lb.

5xBW
5xBW

RickTheDestroyer
07-14-2006, 07:20 AM
Yesterday was a long day at work- had to get up at five and drive 3 hours to give a presentation over on the coast and drive back... ended up eating a few slices of thin crust-pizza for dinner, but most of the day was basically PSMF so I probably still came in pretty okay calorie and macro-wise. Appearance this morning was some of the best it has been ever, so I'm pretty okay I think. I skipped the morning stuff today because I ended up sleeping a little late.

Anyway, here's the workout from Wednesday.
Pin Presses (set about 2-3" off my chest):
5x95lb.
5x135lb.
5x185lb.
5x210lb.
5x230lb.
4,1x240lb.

Chins (Overhand):
9, 8, 8

Overhead Barbell Press:
8x112.5lb.
8x112.5lb.
8x112.5lb.

Band Pressdowns:
(one doubled mini band per arm)
10, 8

Still can't seem to nail that last set of pin presses, but at least they were 5 pounds heavier this week. Workout felt really good and strong.

JoeG
07-15-2006, 12:39 PM
Looking strong on the Pin Press and the BB presses as well. I have been thinking about adding BB presses instead of the behind the neck Millies.

RickTheDestroyer
07-15-2006, 04:36 PM
Thanks Joe. Progress is progress, and I'll take gains, even if they're slow.
Weight is 219ish, usual stuff about appearance improving and new stretch marks blah blah blah.

Today was a so-so workout.
Good Mornings (with bands):
15x45lb. (no bands)
10x45lb.
5x95lb.
3x135lb.
3x155lb.
3x175lb.
3x195lb.

Bulgarian Split Squats:
8x50lb.
10x50lb.
20xBW

5xBW

Spread-Eagle Situps
10x45lb.

Russian Twists:
10x17.5lb.

Right knee wasn't feeling too good so I went really light on the split squats. GMs were tough but I really wanted to push them today since I'm swapping in a new exercise next week. I ****ed around for awhile during my abs and calf stuff because I was trying to figure out a way to set up bands for bench with my rack. I did find a setup that I liked, but I also took took long and started dragging things a long a little too much. Oh well.

RickTheDestroyer
07-16-2006, 04:33 PM
Did an upper workout today because Big Ass (Justin) is in town and I wanted to make sure I got to lift with him. I meant to do my back-heavy upper day, but I'm a dumbass so I did heavy chest first. I'll try to compensate by changing Thursday's workout some.

Bench (with doubled mini bands):
10x45lb.
5x95lb.
5x135lb.
5x165lb.
4x185lb.
3x185lb.

Power Shrugs:
5x315lb.
5x315lb.
5x315lb.

Chins (Overhand):
9, 8, 8, 6, 7, 2

Face Pulls:
20x mini band

The bench stomped my shoulders and triceps... I feel good though. Still some pain in right knee- I was at a party last night (complete with beer and ****ty food, I didn't wreck the diet too bad) and felt some pain in the knee when I stood up from the floor. Hopefully my legs are just tight.

JoeG
07-17-2006, 08:03 AM
What is the difference between Power Shrugs and Regular ones? They look pretty fierce BTW.

John04Civic
07-17-2006, 06:25 PM
Wow you have improved significantly just in one page of a thread! These are great #s for a cut. Keep up the excellent work.

I wish we had chains at our gym for Squats.. But the power rack has dust on it (I only know of 5 - 8 people that squat correctly in that thing).

RickTheDestroyer
07-18-2006, 01:05 PM
Many thanks gentlemen!
The chains were pretty easy and cheap to build- about a dollar a pound, which is cheaper than they cost to buy pre-made. They've definitely been a worthwhile investment.

Power shrugs start with the bar resting on the pins of the powerrack, slightly above knee height. To start you kick your ass out and bend your knees some like you're most of the way through a deadlift or high pull. You stand up, shrug your shoulders hard, come up on your toes (again, like a high pull or clean) and try to slow the weight down on the way down. I ****ing love these things. As always I pushed myself really hard since Justin was in town, and man am I sore now.

Finally got some sled pulling in last night, and have been doing well in my morning workouts. Yesterday morning I tried to do a sort of HIIT-Tabata craziness with fatboy rows, pushups, and bulgarian split squats. I felt nauseated for hours, which I guess means I did it right.

I also finally bought another 300 pound weight set. I made sure to get a bar with a really aggressive knurling, because my other bar is very smooth. I now have far more iron than I can reasonably expect to lift within the next 5 years or so.
:clap:

RickTheDestroyer
07-18-2006, 08:38 PM
Pretty good little workout tonight.

10x45lb.
5x95lb.+bands
5x135lb.+bands
5x165lb.+bands
5x185lb.+bands
5x205lb.+bands
5x225lb.+bands
3x245lb.+bands

8x195lb.
8x195lb.
8x195lb.

Spread-Eagle Situps
10x50lb.
10x50lb.

5xBW
5xBW

Squats tonight were with a low bar placement (I generally go high bar with a very narrow grip). This resulted in a pretty pronounced, albeit entirely deliberate, forward lean. Stance was just outside shoulder width, as is generally the case, I went a little wider at first and coming in some felt much better on my right knee. I had a mini band choked around a 45lb plate attached to each end of the bar. These felt strong and good. The Romanian deads were pretty easy too, I think the stickier bar really helped.

RickTheDestroyer
07-21-2006, 10:20 AM
Pretty crappy workout last night, not a great one this morning, and I'm generally feeling kind of beat up, abused, and not very good. I'm going to rest up some, take it easy on Saturday, and try to recover a little bit.

Dumbbell Rows:
10x56lb.
5x66lb.
5x76lb.
5x86lb.
5x96lb.
5x106lb.
5x116lb.

Incline Dumbbell Bench:
4x77lb.
12x57lb.

Overhead Barbell Press:
8x115lb.

Band Hammer Curls:
15x2 mini bands

Band Pressdowns:
15xdoubled mini band per arm

For some reason my bench was just dreadful- the first rep was nearly impossible, and even with the stretch reflex I could only get three more reps. I probably could have nailed this weight easily last week- I think that mixing up my schedule had a pretty detrimental effect on this. Oh well. I ended up making an easy night of it after that.

This morning I tried to do four tabata cycles of thrusters with 65 pounds (baby steps...) and four of fatboy rows. The thrusters kicked my ass, and by set three of the rows I called it quits because my grip was starting to fail. Sucks, but it kicked my ass. I think the thrusters may have aggravated both my knee and my shoulder, so I may need to do something else instead.

RickTheDestroyer
07-24-2006, 01:22 PM
Ugh. Serious pain in my shoulder all weekend. I replaced Saturday's workout with easy rehab and flexibility work, and I'll do the same for tonight's workout, with the intention of squatting for real on Wednesday.

I suspect that the shoulder just got hit too hard and too often and I didn't stretch it enough afterwards. Basically I think it got hit hard by the shrugs, then by the snatch-grip RDLs, then by the dumbbell rows (which I can never get to feel "right" for my left side). Throw in the morning snatches, high pulls, thrusters, the stabilization for the curls, and the fact that I use my left arm to hold the leash when I walk my dog (who is generally good on the leash, but not perfect)... anyway, recipe for disaster and I can't believe I didn't see it coming. My left trap still feels like sore but otherwise I'm mostly okay now, but I still think it's a good idea to rest it up. I dropped 20 pounds on the morning workout today just to keep things light.

Ugh. I ****ing hate not being able to do real training, but I'm sure not willing to add another ****ty nagging injury. Tonight I'll probably do some band work and some really light sled work with a mostly upper-body focus.

WillKuenzel
07-24-2006, 01:49 PM
Ugh. I ****ing hate not being able to do real training, but I'm sure not willing to add another ****ty nagging injury. Tonight I'll probably do some band work and some really light sled work with a mostly upper-body focus.You have a nagging shoulder injury but want to continue to do upper-body focus training? Lay off it, man. If you want to do some sled work, fine but strap it around your waist or just drag it.

RickTheDestroyer
07-24-2006, 03:02 PM
You have a nagging shoulder injury but want to continue to do upper-body focus training? Lay off it, man. If you want to do some sled work, fine but strap it around your waist or just drag it.
I was basically planning on just dragging the empty tire to get some blood flowing through the area, but if you think that's a bad idea then I'll do as you suggest.
I guess it's pretty obvious that I trained with Justin for awhile, eh?

WillKuenzel
07-24-2006, 03:24 PM
LOL, bunch of hardheaded numbskulls. :p

Just get the blood flowing but you don't have to do anything directly with it. I'm as guilty as they come with it so I can't say too much but I do try to help when I recognize the signs. Easier said than done, I know but trust me, do some lower body work and leave the upper alone for a day or 2. Come back in 2 days or so and test it with something light, from there evaluate and give it a go.

It'll get better but you can't keep beating it into the ground. ;)

John04Civic
07-24-2006, 07:26 PM
If I was you man I'd take it easy for a week, and MAYBE lose a rep on a few exercises than risk it and blow it for 6 weeks or more.. You know as much as I do what a long time off from the iron can do to you :(

You got some killer strength, don't lose it due to an injury!

RickTheDestroyer
07-25-2006, 08:07 AM
Will- it's true. I figure I'm not quite as bad as old Big Ass (at least in his prime)- he'd be like "man, my lower back is killing me and my hamstrings are tight as hell- who's up for max effort deadlifts?"
Of course, I wouldn't have seen 200 if it weren't for him pushing me and teaching me, let alone 240.

John- many thanks as always. I'm going to give the shoulder a go come Thursday, which will have been one week since I last actually worked it. I may be staying away from dumbbell rows though- I think I start tilting the weight or something on the way up and in doing so apply some weird torque to my shoulder.

Anyway, sled dragging was good. Worked hard, got blood moving, felt good. Woke up this morning, shoulder felt good, did my barbell complex, but I did it with a broomstick and doubled up the reps- again, just sort of as a recovery thing. Followed that with some good old foam rolling and stretching.

Then my dog decided that this would be a good morning to be an *******- and I've realized that when I correct him (he has a prong collar) it really aggravates my shoulder. I need to re-evaluate my technique on that, because I think it's definitely contributing to the problem. I also need to become a better dog trainer (duh) so that I don't have to correct the bastard as often.

RickTheDestroyer
07-27-2006, 05:43 PM
Well, my Raloxifene arrived today, so I'm going to run that for awhile with the hopes of killing my tits off for good. I'm going to run 60mg/day for 60 days, and play it by ear from there. At present, my left one is roughly 29mm through the center of the mass, and the right is roughly 26mm, according to my bodyfat calipers, anyway. There is definitely some fat there, but I think that a good portion of it is breast tissue that I want gone.

Anyway, I did legs last night. I've decided to start going with lower reps, more weight, and more sets on my main exercises- essentially I'm going for more strength at this point. I'm also going to start incorporating some dynamic effort days as well.

10x45lb.
5x95lb.+bands
3x135lb.+bands
3x165lb.+bands
3x185lb.+bands
3x205lb.+bands
3x225lb.+bands
1x245lb.+bands
1x265lb.+bands
1x275lb.+bands

8x200lb.
8x200lb.
8x200lb.

Spread-Eagle Situps
10x50lb.
10x50lb.
10x50lb.

5xBW
5xBW
5xBW

Pretty decent. Wrapped the knees lightly for the last three squats, mostly because they feel better with the warmth and compression, although the wraps certainly help the poundages. I guess overall volume was a little lower, but I definitely pushed things a little harder.

JustinASU
07-28-2006, 08:44 AM
Well, my Raloxifene arrived today, so I'm going to run that for awhile with the hopes of killing my tits off for good. I'm going to run 60mg/day for 60 days, and play it by ear from there. At present, my left one is roughly 29mm through the center of the mass, and the right is roughly 26mm, according to my bodyfat calipers, anyway. There is definitely some fat there, but I think that a good portion of it is breast tissue that I want gone.

Anyway, I did legs last night. I've decided to start going with lower reps, more weight, and more sets on my main exercises- essentially I'm going for more strength at this point. I'm also going to start incorporating some dynamic effort days as well.

10x45lb.
5x95lb.+bands
3x135lb.+bands
3x165lb.+bands
3x185lb.+bands
3x205lb.+bands
3x225lb.+bands
1x245lb.+bands
1x265lb.+bands
1x275lb.+bands

8x200lb.
8x200lb.
8x200lb.

Spread-Eagle Situps
10x50lb.
10x50lb.
10x50lb.

5xBW
5xBW
5xBW

Pretty decent. Wrapped the knees lightly for the last three squats, mostly because they feel better with the warmth and compression, although the wraps certainly help the poundages. I guess overall volume was a little lower, but I definitely pushed things a little harder.

Lower workout looks awesome, mang. for the spread eagle situps you said you are doing 50 lbs. Is that +50?

RickTheDestroyer
07-28-2006, 09:06 AM
Knee felt bad yesterday, and even worse when I woke up this morning. I stretched quite a bit after my little barbell complex, and that helped, although I think that doing the little squats first sort of aggravated it. I really need to just stay on the stretching in addition to the foam roller-ing.

Last night was basically the same as the back-heavy upper day I had been doing, but with the addition of some DE bench first.

DE Bench:
10x45lb.
5x95lb.
3x115lb+chains (8 sets, cycled grips)

Barbell Rows:
5x135lb.
5x185lb.
5x185lb.
5x185lb.
5x185lb.

Incline Dumbell Press:
8x67lb./arm
8x70lb./arm
8x70lb./arm

Power Shrugs:
5x320lb.
5x320lb.

Face Pulls:
20xmini band

Curls (curl bar plus a doubled mini band):
8x63lb.
6x63lb.

DE Bench was maybe a little light but it felt good. I'll try to max bench on Monday and see how much I need to adjust the speed bench. Went a little lighter on the DB inclines since I had done chest work already. The curls were sort of an experiment- I really enjoy the added band tension on a lot of things, and these were no exception. They were harder than I anticipated, but that's good.

Other points of interest:
-Raloxifene tastes bad, maybe worse than nolva. Unlike nolva, coke doesn't kill the taste.
-An order from eliteFTS comes today- some knee sleeves (so I don't have to wrap loosely for warmth), some of that blue heat stuff, some monster mini bands, and a COC #2.
-I was less than the thickness of a credit card away from closing the HG 250 on Tuesday, after doing some pretty heavy duty grip stuff Monday. I'm hoping to close it today (for the first time!) and then try out the #2 this evening.
:thumbup:

RickTheDestroyer
07-28-2006, 09:07 AM
Lower workout looks awesome, mang. for the spread eagle situps you said you are doing 50 lbs. Is that +50?

That's me on the ground with two 25 pound plates on my chest. As per your instructions I'm not locking my feet under anything, just trying to dig in my heels.

RickTheDestroyer
07-28-2006, 11:06 AM
Well, after two close misses, I just nailed the HG 250. Hopefully I can stay on track and hit the HG300 before 2007.

JustinASU
07-28-2006, 11:54 AM
Well, after two close misses, I just nailed the HG 250. Hopefully I can stay on track and hit the HG300 before 2007.

After two close misses, I just nailed your mom.

Kidding. Congrats bro!

RickTheDestroyer
07-30-2006, 02:00 PM
Eff you, Big Ass! :swear:

Well, I opened up the #2 and gave it a go Friday night after helping my girlfriend move. Unfortunately, I only came within about a centimeter of closing it. Considering I had already done some serious grip work Friday, I'm not too down about it. I'm going to try it again Tuesday or Wednesday after my grip has recovered from deads today.

Kickass workout today. I've really been trying to step it up lately because I'm sick and tired of being weak. Although I'm still losing weight (very slooooooowly), I'm eating enough to support some more serious strength training, and damnit, I want to get my total over 1000 before 2007. I'm 40 pounds away right now, but my squat still isn't as good as it has been in the past. I think if I really stay motivated and make every workout count, I can hit 1000 pretty solidly, and hopefully hit 1200 or so by 2008. We'll see on that one.

Anyway,
Sumo Deadlifts
5x135lb.
3x185lb.
3x225lb.
3x275lb.
3x315lb.
1x335lb.
1x355lb.
1x375lb.
1x395lb.

Bulgarian Split Squats:
8x112lb.
8x112lb.
8x112lb.

Pull-Throughs:
12x 2 minibands
10x 2 minibands

5xBW
5xBW

Spread-Eagle Situps
8x55lb.
10x50lb.

Russian Twists:
10x20lb.
10x20lb.

I don't generally do sumo deads, and don't consider them to be a strong motion for me (the last 3 sets were all sumo PRs), but these felt pretty damn good. I think that if I had jumped heavier sooner I could have hit an overall deadlift PR. We'll shoot for 415 in a week or two. But damn, good workout all around.
Even my joints feel good. :clap:

JoeG
07-30-2006, 02:29 PM
Damn good job on the Sumo deads Rick. Always nice to pick up something you don't do often and kick its ass.

RickTheDestroyer
08-01-2006, 09:39 AM
Thanks bro. Those felt pretty dam good indeed. Of course now I'm still basically crippled. Damn my ass is sore.

Anyway, last night was heavy bench day:
Good Ol' Regular Bench:
10x45lb.
5x95lb.
3x135lb.
3x185lb.
3x205lb.
1x225lb.
1x245lb.
1x260lb.
2xmissx275lb.

Chins (Overhand):
10, 10, 8, 7, 5, 4, 4, 2

Overhead Barbell Press:
8x117.5lb.
5x117.5lb.
6x117.5lb.

Band Pressdowns:
(one mini band per arm)
12, 10

For the bench, 260 was technically a PR, although I had hit 255lb. for two in past. The first attempt at 270 got stuck about 2.5" off my chest, and I really think I had it on the second try (mentally I felt really good when I was getting set), but I clipped the hooks on the way down and totally lost my focus and tightness. Next Monday, that **** is mine. I should probably tuck in a few more sets and smaller jumps, though.

This "do 50 chins" thing that Justin got me on is ****ing unbelievable. That **** is hard. Overhead presses suffered a little from me pushing the bench so hard- I'll keep the same weight next week and then back it off in 2 weeks if need be. Joints feel good, which is great.

This morning I guess I sort of Tabata-ed 3 sets of band lat pulls, three sets of pushups and three sets of bodyweight squats. Probably next time I'll just make sure I'm warmed up real well and then I'll give the thrusters another try, although this did kick my ass pretty well.

JoeG
08-02-2006, 06:29 AM
Gratz on the PR man.

JustinASU
08-02-2006, 09:20 AM
Congrats, Rick!

Your bench is almost as high as mine now :cry:

RickTheDestroyer
08-02-2006, 09:52 AM
Thanks fellas!
Justin- I'm still nowhere near you- especially as far as endurance is concerned. I've seen you rep 225 for 10 or 12 like it was cake on numerous occasions, and I sure couldn't do that to save my life. This is part of why I'm working on building up my work capacity and keeping some higher rep work in for my auxiliary stuff- my muscle endurance is for ****. I do suspect that the fact that my max is getting to be on your ass a little is going to push yours up to 350 or so within the next couple months. Mark my words.

Anyway, nothing interesting last night- sled dragging and shoulder traction stuff. Speed squats tonight (yay!)

JustinASU
08-02-2006, 02:29 PM
Thanks fellas!
Justin- I'm still nowhere near you- especially as far as endurance is concerned. I've seen you rep 225 for 10 or 12 like it was cake on numerous occasions, and I sure couldn't do that to save my life. This is part of why I'm working on building up my work capacity and keeping some higher rep work in for my auxiliary stuff- my muscle endurance is for ****. I do suspect that the fact that my max is getting to be on your ass a little is going to push yours up to 350 or so within the next couple months. Mark my words.

Anyway, nothing interesting last night- sled dragging and shoulder traction stuff. Speed squats tonight (yay!)

225x12 was a long time ago my friend. I am a shadow of my former self. Though at this point my conditioning is getting better due to Will kicking my ass on a regular basis.

John04Civic
08-02-2006, 05:32 PM
Your Deadlifts are really strong.. What is the difference between Sumo and regular?

JustinASU
08-02-2006, 05:58 PM
http://www.exrx.net/AnimatedEx/ErectorSpinae/BBDeadlift.gif
conventional

http://www.weighttrainersunited.com/SumoStart.JPG
Sumo

RickTheDestroyer
08-02-2006, 08:19 PM
Thanks John- they're coming on up anyways. :thumbup:

Justeen- honestly bro, I think you're mind****ing yourself on this stuff. You had the surgery, the accident, and you came off. And now your test may or may not be lower than it was pre-cycle (sometimes I wonder if you weren't just so used to the sweet sweet test that you forgot what crappy old normal feels like). You're gonna be fine bro, but you gotta quit being down on yourself. I've seen you push that **** like it was little girl weight, and I'm positive that I'll see you do it again within the next 6 months at the lastest. Recovery from **** takes awhile- but you just gotta quit mind****ing yourself and you'll be there before you know it, and this time you'll do it with better mobility and fewer imbalances and nagging injuries.

Anyways, I did DE lower tonight.
Speed Squats (to a 12.5" tall box- monster mini band on each side):
10x45lb.
10x95lb.
2x135lb.+bands (10 sets)

8x205lb.
8x205lb.
8x205lb.

Speed Deadlifts (with a 25 under each foot):
1x245lb. (6 sets, 20 seconds rest)

Spread-Eagle Situps
10x55lb.
10x55lb.
10x55lb.

5xBW
5xBW
5xBW

Everything felt pretty good. It had been so long since the last time I did speed squats- it took me a few sets to get used to pausing and releasing my hip flexors and then popping off without pausing so long that I was actually resting on the box. RDLs were hard as always, but the speed deads were FAST- that **** flew up. The point of standing on the 25s is that I'm usually weakest right off the floor- most of the time I can lock out a deadlift if I can get it 6 inches off the ground. Pretty good little workout.

Additionally, I think that the changes that I've made in my training are paying off with my appearance. I'm pretty consistently about 217-218 at this point, but I'm looking leaner and I feel like I look the biggest that I've ever looked. Slow but consistent improvement is awesome.

JoeG
08-03-2006, 07:51 AM
Good looking speed work. I like the idea of standing on the 25lb plate for off the floor work. Keep it up.

JustinASU
08-03-2006, 08:08 AM
Your workouts look so purdy, sometimes I think your strength knowledge far exceeds mine. Awesome DE day bro. I'm still impressed by your strength on those spread eagle situps. Explain to me what snatch grip is...

Oh and thanks for the encouragement, though I feel terrible, since this is your journal.

RickTheDestroyer
08-03-2006, 09:27 AM
Many thanks Joe and Justin.

Hahahaha- well Justin, I haven't had much to do at work lately, so they've been paying me for uh... professional development (i.e. I spend all day reading **** on the internet). When I get so I'm walking the walk and not just talking the talk I'll be a happy boy. Honesty though, all the reading in the world isn't going to mean **** until I can put more of it into practice and get better under the bar. Real experience is one thing that you've definitely got on me, and no there's no question that it's more valuable. Furthermore, the encouragement is something you deserve bro- I've said it a thousand times that I wouldn't be where I am if not for you.

According to Isaac, snatch grip is technically the distance you get if you hold one arm out to your side (parallel to the ground) and measure from your fingertips to your opposite shoulder. I might not be going quite wide enough, but I generally put my index fingers about 4 inches or so outside the rings. It's harder to grip, it seems to hit my upper back nicely, and it extends the range of motion by a few inches. Good stuff all around.

JustinASU
08-03-2006, 09:30 AM
Many thanks Joe and Justin.

Hahahaha- well Justin, I haven't had much to do at work lately, so they've been paying me for uh... professional development (i.e. I spend all day reading **** on the internet). When I get so I'm walking the walk and not just talking the talk I'll be a happy boy. Honesty though, all the reading in the world isn't going to mean **** until I can put more of it into practice and get better under the bar. Real experience is one thing that you've definitely got on me, and no there's no question that it's more valuable. Furthermore, the encouragement is something you deserve bro- I've said it a thousand times that I wouldn't be where I am if not for you.

According to Isaac, snatch grip is technically the distance you get if you hold one arm out to your side (parallel to the ground) and measure from your fingertips to your opposite shoulder. I might not be going quite wide enough, but I generally put my index fingers about 4 inches or so outside the rings. It's harder to grip, it seems to hit my upper back nicely, and it extends the range of motion by a few inches. Good stuff all around.

Thanks again, mang. Snatch grip hits upper back more, eh? That is absolutely one of my weakesses. I may try to implement these if I can figure out how to put into practice what you just described.

RickTheDestroyer
08-03-2006, 08:41 PM
Yeah bro- it's just like regular Romanian deadlifts except that you grab real wide. You'll be happy to know that I invested some more money in the gym today- I got the supplies to make boards for benching- we'll have a set from 1-5. Also, it turns out that the chains I made were only adding 40 pounds at the top, so I bought 10 more pounds of chain. I also got a wall clock (boring but good) and a whiteboard so that we'll have all of our maxes and goals staring us down each workout. I looked at frames for my signed Lou Ferrigno shirt, but nothing really looked like it would work.

Also, I'm thinking that I'm going to get that bench from NYBB- is three inches lower going to be enough for your little legs?:moon:

Anyway, did some speed bench with the new chains.
DE Bench:
10x45lb.
10x95lb.
3x125lb+chains (8 sets, cycled grips)

Barbell Rows:
5x135lb.
6x190lb. (I tried a higher angle and decided to go low again after this set)
5x190lb.
5x190lb.
5x190lb.

Incline Dumbell Press:
8x72lb./arm
8x72lb./arm
8x72lb./arm

Power Shrugs:
5x325lb.
5x325lb.

Face Pulls:
12x monster mini band
12x monster mini band

Curls (curl bar plus a doubled mini band):
8x63lb.
8x63lb.

Band Pull-Aparts:
15x monster mini band

I've been trying to add in more little auxiliary sets to work on my external rotators... I think I've got a bit of an imbalance and I want to address that so that my shoulders feel good. Also, I think the curls are out. My biceps dominate my arms as it is, I think they're getting hit enough elsewhere (especially with that "50 chins" bull****), and more tricep work should help the bench. I might do dips high rack lockouts or something instead.

RickTheDestroyer
08-06-2006, 04:22 PM
**** yes, mother****ers!
Kickass day in the ol' House of Asscrushing- teh Gewberdouche was up here and we both hit deadlift PRs (his previous max from a couple years back was 315, and he hadn't been doing deads for awhile- the bastard pulled a clean 375 today, after hitting PRs at 335 and 365!). JUSTIN needs to get his BIG ASS back up here because as good a time we're having without him, we know he'll ****ing kick our asses harder, and we'll see just how good we can make this little gym.

Anyway:
Sumo Deadlifts
5x135lb.
3x185lb.
3x225lb.
3x275lb.
3x315lb.
1x365lb.
1x415lb.

Bulgarian Split Squats:
8x117lb.
8x117lb.
8x117lb.

Pull-Throughs:
12x monster mini+mini bands
12x monster mini+mini bands

5xBW

Spread-Eagle Situps
10x60lb.

Russian Twists:
10x20lb.

I didn't do as many sets on the way up for the deads because I really wanted to nail that 415 today. It went up pretty smooth- I could have maybe done more, but I decided to save it for next week. I'm frankly pretty surprised, since I spent most of last night and this morning helping my girlfriend move (up 3 flights of stairs no less). I decided to cut the abs/calves a little short since I'm pretty beat at this point, and I still have more moving to do tonight. I kicked ass on the important stuff though.
Deadlift PRs are the ****ing best thing in the world. There really is nothing else in life that gives quite the same acute and overwhelming feeling of total satisfaction.
Pretty damn good day . :thumbup:

JoeG
08-07-2006, 08:16 AM
Nice work on the PR's both of you guys. Looks like you are going to start pounding the hell out of it now.

JustinASU
08-07-2006, 11:12 AM
Just you boys wait until I get my ass up there. Hopefully I'll be moving close enough to the House o' Asscrushing so that I can lift with you every session. I'm looking forward to it. In fact, its one of those small things that keeps me going through each day of the hell I deal with at this company.

Awesome job on the PR mang. I'll have to use it to light a fire under my ass. I want to stay at least 150 lbs ahead of you in deadlift poundage. It's a pride thing damnit. I'm incredibly happy to hear that you're tearing through your deadlift plateau though. The stronger you get, the stronger I *want* to get. I think that You'll be suprised how not strong I am when I arrive in Sept/Oct since I have been training alone and dealing with all my anxiety and hormones. I look forward to the day that I join you bastards again in the weight room.

I'm happy to hear about the boards and chains though. That's going to be one of the best thigns about training with you--I dont get to use ANY of that stuff. I'm on a very basic bull**** strength routine. I have a feeling that stuff can really help a plateau.

Again--awesome pull man. I think you could pull 455 before I move back up.

RickTheDestroyer
08-07-2006, 09:01 PM
Many thanks as always bros. I'm not entirely sure what's gotten into me, but I feel more driven and more motivated than I have ever felt in the weightroom, and it's really paying off. Big Ass- it's only gonna get better when you get here, so come on back already.

Anyway, ME bench:
15x45lb.
8x95lb.
3x135lb.
3x185lb.
3x215lb.
1x245lb.
1x265lb. (PR)
1x275lb. (PR)
1x280lb. (PR)

Chins (Overhand):
11, 11, 10, 9, 6, 3

Overhead Barbell Press:
8x117.5lb.
8x117.5lb.
8x117.5lb.

Band Pressdowns:
(one mini band per arm)
12, 12

Strong workout all around. The benching went up really smooth and Gabe pushed me to go for the 280 after the 275. I may have been able to hit 285, but we'll save that for next week. The last 7-8" of the bench was flying up though, I guess the chain and band work is doing its job. Chins were strong as well- I probably kipped on 50% of them, but that's okay with me.

In other news, I'm thinking that it's kind of gross that I'm almost able to maintain on what's essentially averaging to 2400 calories a day (I don't really keep track on weekends, but I try to keep it mostly under control). That really shouldn't be possible for someone my size- even if I was like 20%bf (which I really don't think I am). The only conclusion is that my metabolism is in the ****ter, so I'm upping my calories very slowly in an effort to pull myself back up a little. Each week I'm going to up my daily intake by about 150 calories (or less if I start gaining weight). After four weeks or so I'll cut back again. I just think that I've screwed things up a little by cutting so long without any serious breaks.

Also, the raloxifene appears to be working (albeit more in my right tit than the left) but it separates in the bottle- I've been shaking it but there still appears to be some sediment at the bottom. I'm guessing that these are the actives, so I'm a little worried about being underdosed.

JustinASU
08-08-2006, 11:38 AM
Amazing pressing, bro. Though I'll admit, I'm jealous :(

Have you been eating dianabol for breakfast?

RickTheDestroyer
08-09-2006, 09:09 PM
You'll come around Justipoo. Don't you worry. No dbol for breakfast, although I certainly hear the siren song of the dark side loud and clear. As long as I can keep this kind of progress natty I'll do so, though.

DE Lower tonight.
10x45lb.+bands
5x115lb.+bands
2x150lb.+bands (10 sets)
1x205lb (speed test)

8x210lb.
8x210lb.
8x210lb.

1x250lb. (6 sets, 20 seconds rest)

Spread-Eagle Situps
10x60lb.
10x60lb.

5xBW
5xBW

The workout was hard tonight, although the speed squats went really well. I'm finally finding my PL stance again and it's helping a lot- bar position, feet, everything is coming into place pretty nicely. I didn't have the best pop off the box, but after about the first 3-5" I was flying on up. Pretty good speed overall. I also really got to the point that I was sitting back better than I think I ever had... and then the workout basically went to hell.
The RDLs were hard as **** and I kept almost losing my grip (did some crushes at work today- bad idea), and the speed deads were only so-so, although the speed was pretty good. I was pretty drained at the end and decided I was done a little early.

JustinASU
08-10-2006, 12:10 PM
How far are you sitting back on that box, hmmmm?

RickTheDestroyer
08-10-2006, 12:41 PM
How far are you sitting back on that box, hmmmm?
I've been working really hard to get so that my shins are almost back past perpindicular to the floor, so WAYYYYYY back. I'm probably not back that far, but that's what I'm going for. I did use the trusty camera to take some video and make sure my form and speed were good. Why do you ask?

Regardless, for the most part my squatting is still total **** and I'm going to need all of the Big-Assed squat magic you've got to help me out once you get back here.

RickTheDestroyer
08-10-2006, 09:02 PM
Speed Bench tonight.
DE Bench:
15x45lb.
10x95lb.
3x135lb+chains (8 sets, cycled grips, wider range this time)

Barbell Rows:
5x135lb.
5x195lb.
5x195lb.
5x195lb.
5x195lb.

Incline Dumbell Press:
8x75lb./arm
8x75lb./arm
8x75lb./arm

Power Shrugs:
5x330lb.
5x330lb.

Face Pulls:
12x monster mini band
20x monster mini band

Band Pull-Aparts:
20x monster mini band

4-Board Press:
6x225lb.
missx315lb.
6x245lb.

Pretty good speed work today. Widened up the wide grip so that my index was on the ring, made my normal grip (pinky just inside ring) my medium grip, and close grip was index on smooth as always. Shrugs were hard, as was basically everything after the benching, but I got through it and hit all my sets.
I got a little over enthusiastic with the board press and got crushed by the 315. I probably should have taken it as a sign that I was already fried when it was hard to unrack it.
I think the lower back is getting a little tired and strained, despite my best efforts to be consistent with stretching and rolling. I may not go as heavy on the deads on Saturday, but I'll see how I'm feeling then.

JustinASU
08-11-2006, 07:06 AM
I asked because I thought I was sitting back far enough, but after a visit to Marc bartley's gym, I realized I wasn't even coming close.

BTW, how does your arch look with the boards strapped to you? Are you able to maintain a strong arch?

RickTheDestroyer
08-11-2006, 08:43 AM
I asked because I thought I was sitting back far enough, but after a visit to Marc bartley's gym, I realized I wasn't even coming close.

BTW, how does your arch look with the boards strapped to you? Are you able to maintain a strong arch?
Yeah man, arch was still pretty good, although as I said, the lower back was feeling a little fried so I didn't go quite as tight with it as I was for the speed bench.
The sitting back thing will probably continue to be a work in progress. I worked to get my stance really wide and to keep my toes pointed more forward. I felt a very deep and intense strech in my hammies that I hadn't really ever felt before, so I think I must be starting to get it right.

Chubrock
08-11-2006, 09:14 AM
Ya'll two gonna let me join in the fun from time to time? I'm small as hell haha but I'm down here at Wilmington and could use somebody to lift with from time to time, even if it means driving a good bit.

JustinASU
08-11-2006, 12:08 PM
Ya'll two gonna let me join in the fun from time to time? I'm small as hell haha but I'm down here at Wilmington and could use somebody to lift with from time to time, even if it means driving a good bit.

Chub - - I live in Charleston right now, but I'm moving back to Durham in a few weeks. I'm sure Rick won't mind you coming to lift at the House o' Asscrushing (TM). As a side note, my parents live in Swansboro, NC--about 1 hr. North of where you live AND my sister goes to school in Wilmington.

RickTheDestroyer
08-11-2006, 12:28 PM
**** yeah Bro! Come on up anytime you want!
I won't lie to you- Wilmington is probably a good 2.5-3 hours from Mebane, but we'll try to make it worth your while. You'll probably want to come up for one of the weekend sessions so you don't have to drive home too late (most weeknights we don't finish up around 10 or so). We generally have the most fun with weekend workouts anyway- they're usually ME deadlift days.
And anyway bro- you might not weigh a ton, but your weight-to-strength ratio is very good.

Chubrock
08-11-2006, 01:32 PM
Chub - - I live in Charleston right now, but I'm moving back to Durham in a few weeks. I'm sure Rick won't mind you coming to lift at the House o' Asscrushing (TM). As a side note, my parents live in Swansboro, NC--about 1 hr. North of where you live AND my sister goes to school in Wilmington.

Oh yea, I'm definitely familiar with Swansboro. They were in our soccer conference back when I was in highschool. Is your sis in highschool or is she at UNC by the Sea? I'm into my third year at UNCW.

Chubrock
08-11-2006, 01:34 PM
**** yeah Bro! Come on up anytime you want!
I won't lie to you- Wilmington is probably a good 2.5-3 hours from Mebane, but we'll try to make it worth your while. You'll probably want to come up for one of the weekend sessions so you don't have to drive home too late (most weeknights we don't finish up around 10 or so). We generally have the most fun with weekend workouts anyway- they're usually ME deadlift days.
And anyway bro- you might not weigh a ton, but your weight-to-strength ratio is very good.

Hell yea man. I'll definitely have to come up one weekend. I'm hoping to pick up a lot more strength over the next several months. I'm going back to a PLing split after spending so much time on my grappling conditioning. My short term goal (~1 yr) is to total 1,000 at my current BW.

JustinASU
08-11-2006, 01:49 PM
Oh yea, I'm definitely familiar with Swansboro. They were in our soccer conference back when I was in highschool. Is your sis in highschool or is she at UNC by the Sea? I'm into my third year at UNCW.

UNCW...Dude, come up in the second half of september or later. That's when RHOAC comes full circle :evillaugh

Chubrock
08-11-2006, 01:54 PM
Rhoac?

JustinASU
08-11-2006, 03:35 PM
Rhoac?

Rick's House of AsscrushingTM

Sidior
08-11-2006, 04:28 PM
Rick's House of AsscrushingTM
hahaha

impressive past few session btw rick, getting really strong

RickTheDestroyer
08-12-2006, 04:17 PM
Many thanks Sid.
Yeah the "House of Asscrushing" is what Justin and I have been jokingly calling the gym that we're going to open one day for about the last two years. It only seemed fitting to call the garage gym that, although I really like the fact that we're working to turn it into something pretty serious. You come on up and visit C-Rock, and we'll try to kick some ass on your total (although I think you'll hit 1000 whether you come up here or not...)

Anyway, heavy deads today. Did not go too well.
Sumo Deadlifts
5x135lb.
3x185lb.
3x225lb.
3x275lb.
3x315lb.
1x355lb.
1x385lb.
missx420lb.

Bulgarian Split Squats:
8x122lb.
8x122lb.
8x122lb.

Pull-Throughs:
15x monster mini+mini bands

After this I decided that I was done so I decided to not do my calves or abs today. Whatever. I'm pretty pissed about the 420. I had it up over my knees but I just couldn't get it locked out, which is very frustrating as I don't think that's ever happened to me before (generally I either can't break it off the ground, or I stall about 6" up). I guess it could have been worse- Gabe ripped the callus off his hand when he was ramping up for a PR attempt, so no PRs in the HOAC today.
I'll do good mornings for the next three weeks, and then I'll probably hit up some heavy rack pulls after that. I suspect part of why I missed it was that I had some unexpected (but very welcome) hip, glute, and ab exercise (:hump: )when I woke up this morning and I think I pretty thoroughly wore myself out.
Oh well.

Chubrock
08-13-2006, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence guys. I'm looking to power right on through the 1,000 total and keep on trucking. As far as coming up for the weekend sometime, is there a cheap motel up that way? Do ya'll end up lifting both days during the weekend or do you and Justin just like to pull heavy on Saturdays?

MixmasterNash
08-13-2006, 11:09 PM
I drove past the HOAC yesterday on my way to and from Charlotte.

Are there any good bars near the HAOC? Do you ever go to Strong's?

Isaac Wilkins
08-14-2006, 05:31 AM
Good work in here, man. When I open my place you guys are going to have to road trip BACK down to train.

:D

RickTheDestroyer
08-14-2006, 09:21 AM
C-Rock- Typically I'll lift on Saturday or Sunday but not both. Gabe usually trains with me (he reads the board sometimes but doesn't post AFAIK). We'll see if this changes once Justin moves back, as generally we'll train whatever weekend day he's in town. We could probably do ME lower on Saturday and then hit up ME upper on Sunday instead of Monday if you're dying to go for two sessions while you're up here. I don't know of any cheap motels, although Justin may have some idea. I'm sure we can find you a couch somewhere if need be.

Nash- I don't know if there are any good bars in Mebane- there's one next to the real gym in Mebane, but I've never been there. Generally the only time I go get drinks is right after work, and I typically go to places near work for that. I have not been to Strong's since it moved to Mebane, although I'm reasonably sure that I went there a few times while it was on Franklin Street (well, or maybe it was one of the other 400 basically identical coffee shops that have been in that location). There is a great little pizza and sub place right across the street called Martinho's though. One of these days I'll get some bumper plates and try to get you up here to coach me on some oly lifting.

Isaac- since I consider you one of my real-life weight training and strength coach heroes, you know that means a lot to me. We'll make plenty of training trips to IHOP (Isaac's House of Pain- duh), so don't worry.

Chubrock
08-14-2006, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the invite man. I'm definitely going to try and get up there. When is Justin coming back from SC? Trying to get an idea of a good time to head your way.

RickTheDestroyer
08-14-2006, 08:16 PM
CRock- Justin's coming up mid-September, if I'm not mistaken. You'll definitely want to come up while he's around, as he's a great guy to lift with.

Anyway, ME upper tonight. ****ty, ****ty workout.
15x45lb.
8x95lb.
3x135lb.
3x185lb.
3x220lb.
1x255lb.
missx285lb.

Chins (Overhand):

Overhead Barbell Press:
7x120lb.
6x120lb.
6x120lb.

Band Pressdowns:
(one mini band per arm)

Two bad workouts in a row means something is up. I ended up taking this one easy after I bombed on the bench, as in I just did 40 weak-ass chins, didn't get all my overhead reps in, and decided to cut my pressdowns short.

I figure I have two options at this point. The first is to start rotating my ME exercise after two weeks instead of three (as for both deads and bench I made great progress for the first two weeks and then went to ****sville). The other option is to still rotate after week three, but deliberately make week three into an easier week- maybe hit a max triple and cut out a little assistance work. I'm leaning toward the first option right now, and then I figure if I stay rundown then I can start cycling in some deloading weeks.

I swear, two chances to hit my goal total, and I blew them both. Of course, I don't know if I should really count my old squat max, since it's over a year and half old. I'll where I stand on that one next week and then we'll see if we can crack 1000.

Sensei
08-15-2006, 12:05 AM
I figure I have two options at this point. The first is to start rotating my ME exercise after two weeks instead of three (as for both deads and bench I made great progress for the first two weeks and then went to ****sville). The other option is to still rotate after week three, but deliberately make week three into an easier week- maybe hit a max triple and cut out a little assistance work. I'm leaning toward the first option right now, and then I figure if I stay rundown then I can start cycling in some deloading weeks.
I think if you are feeling rundown, you should take an ME day off and/or just hit some higher-rep lower-intensity sets instead.

I'm sure you probably know this, but it took me a few bad macrocycles and stagnation to figure out that even the guys at WS are cycling intensity with their ME days - hitting triples instead of singles, skipping the ME exercise altogether and just hitting supplementals/auxiliaries, doing repetition-method, or just taking the day off.

RickTheDestroyer
08-15-2006, 07:19 AM
Thanks for the advice Sensei. That's exactly what I was looking for. Do you think I should build some of these easier days directly into the split, such as:
Week 1: work up to 1RM
Week 2: work up to 1RM
Week 3: work up to 3RM (or rep out lighter weight... etc.)
Repeat...
Or should I just play it by how I feel? I was just thinking that if I build this stuff in then I'll keep myself from getting rundown to the point that I NEED a break... you know?

Chubrock
08-15-2006, 07:23 AM
Hey Rick, what are you cycling as your upperbody lifts (bench, 3 Board, 2 Board etc etc)?

JustinASU
08-15-2006, 09:45 AM
Rick--still looking strong. Did you think your PRs were going to keep coming week to week without a bit of a break or some lighter work? Please don't pull a "big-ass" mistake thinking that way. It sounds like the plan to drop down to a 3RM on week 3 will work for you. You may even want to try dropping an ME day in week 3 and work on some RE (repeated effort) work, for a change of pace and perhaps for a gain in hypertrophy.

BTW, out of curiousity, how often are you kipping on your chins? I rarely do it, but I may try to incorporate them if only to be able to increase the time under tension and number of reps per set.

RickTheDestroyer
08-15-2006, 02:10 PM
CRock- So far I've done uhhhh... bench. I'll probably cycle in some low board work, some heavy stuff with bands or chains, maybe some floor presses or some really wide grip stuff... but I figure I'll run straight bench maybe every third or fourth cycle or so. So far I like the boards, and I really like the accommodating resistance from the bands and chains, but I don't love pin presses because they make my shoulders hurt. I'll most likely run 2 board presses next since that's about where I get stuck.

Justeeeeeen- a guy can dream, right? I was sort of hoping that cycling the ME exercise would sort of take care of things and keep the PRs coming. Oh well. I'll definitely work in some lighter days to keep the CNS from getting fried. Either I'll work up to triples with smaller jumps, or I'll try some RE stuff- good call.

I kip like a mother****. Probably about 30-50% of the time. Generally my first 6-9 reps of the early sets are straight and then I kip a little. Later sets I might kip everything after the 3rd or 4th rep. I figure I still have a negative in there, so I'm not too worried about it.

JustinASU
08-15-2006, 02:56 PM
CRock- So far I've done uhhhh... bench. I'll probably cycle in some low board work, some heavy stuff with bands or chains, maybe some floor presses or some really wide grip stuff... but I figure I'll run straight bench maybe every third or fourth cycle or so. So far I like the boards, and I really like the accommodating resistance from the bands and chains, but I don't love pin presses because they make my shoulders hurt. I'll most likely run 2 board presses next since that's about where I get stuck.

Justeeeeeen- a guy can dream, right? I was sort of hoping that cycling the ME exercise would sort of take care of things and keep the PRs coming. Oh well. I'll definitely work in some lighter days to keep the CNS from getting fried. Either I'll work up to triples with smaller jumps, or I'll try some RE stuff- good call.

I kip like a mother****. Probably about 30-50% of the time. Generally my first 6-9 reps of the early sets are straight and then I kip a little. Later sets I might kip everything after the 3rd or 4th rep. I figure I still have a negative in there, so I'm not too worried about it.

Dude, keep in mind that the westsiders (the real ones in Ohio) are mostly juiced out the ass, so they can handle maximal loads moreso than we can. They do of course incorporate deloading, which I believed you mentioned as a last resort.

Kipping sounds like a solid option. Perhaps I should increase my '50 chins/pullups per day' to 100 per day w/ kipping :evillaugh

Sensei
08-15-2006, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the advice Sensei. That's exactly what I was looking for. Do you think I should build some of these easier days directly into the split, such as:
Week 1: work up to 1RM
Week 2: work up to 1RM
Week 3: work up to 3RM (or rep out lighter weight... etc.)
Repeat...
Or should I just play it by how I feel? I was just thinking that if I build this stuff in then I'll keep myself from getting rundown to the point that I NEED a break... you know?
I agree with the other guys - do some repetition-method, or just do the auxiliaries and supplemental exercises if you are getting run-down. I think it's important to have a plan, but don't be afraid to deviate if you need to.

RickTheDestroyer
08-16-2006, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. You know- it's sort of scary to realize how much more I really have to learn about all of this.

Anyways, I meant to do some sled dragging last night but dork night ran a little late and I didn't get a chance. I've also been sort of slack on my morning work- it's been much less GPP/Tabata/whatever and much more foam rolling, stretching, recovery, and prehab work. I think that's okay though. I continued bringing the calories back up this week. I'm still really disgusted with how fat I am, but I think that I'm not going to diet down as far as I want without getting the metabolism back in shape first. In the meantime I'll just focus on getting stronger, and I suppose I'll keep trying to get that GPP up.

JoeG
08-16-2006, 10:10 AM
I know it sucks but letting the heavy stuff go for a short time might just give you a chance to recover. Give the assistance stuff some focus for a bit and see where it takes you.

You'll be better off in the long run.

Chubrock
08-16-2006, 10:44 AM
How's your diet looking?

RickTheDestroyer
08-16-2006, 11:29 AM
Joe- You're totally right. The plan is to use 3RM good mornings for the next three weeks on the deadlift days, and to probably stick with a 3RM for either the first or third day of my next 3 week bench cycle, depending on how I feel on Monday.

How's your diet looking?
http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicjournals.html?Owner=RickTheDestroyer
Diet has been consistently pretty good. I was shooting for 2000-2400 calories a day during the week, cycling carbs and calories on training days, with roughly 50% of my carbs and 33-50% of my calories coming in right around workouts. The carbs generally swing from about 125g/day to 250g/day on workout days. Protein is usually between 200-250g/day, which is about 1.1-1.3g/lb of LBM. Fat is typically between 65-75g/day, 8-10 of which are fish oil caps.

I don't keep track on weekends, I just try to not eat ****ty, with the exception of *a* beer on most Fridays and Saturdays. If I had to guess I'd bet that my calories still come in around 2500, with probably not as much protein as I get during the week. This is something that I plan to improve.

As it is, this carb/calorie cycling has done me pretty well though- I've only lost about 5 pounds in the past two months, but my pants are getting looser, my appearance has improved, and the calipers say I'm leaner. Despite the fact that I'm definitely slowly leaning out, I've gotten new stretchmarks, strength is going up, and my arms haven't shrunk.

Over the last two weeks, I've pulled the calories up to 2300-2700. This has not been accompanied by weight gain yet, so hopefully I'm getting the metabolism up and running again. I'll pull them up to maybe 2500-3000 a day, hold at that for two weeks, and then try to cut pretty hard again. Now that I've learned that I am capable of recompositioning (even though it's slow), I have faith that once I get where I want to be in terms of bodyfat levels I'll be able to stay there and still be able to add more size and strength.
I'm feeling pretty optimistic.

JustinASU
08-16-2006, 12:07 PM
Joe- You're totally right. The plan is to use 3RM good mornings for the next three weeks on the deadlift days, and to probably stick with a 3RM for either the first or third day of my next 3 week bench cycle, depending on how I feel on Monday.

http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicjournals.html?Owner=RickTheDestroyer
Diet has been consistently pretty good. I was shooting for 2000-2400 calories a day during the week, cycling carbs and calories on training days, with roughly 50% of my carbs and 33-50% of my calories coming in right around workouts. The carbs generally swing from about 125g/day to 250g/day on workout days. Protein is usually between 200-250g/day, which is about 1.1-1.3g/lb of LBM. Fat is typically between 65-75g/day, 8-10 of which are fish oil caps.

I don't keep track on weekends, I just try to not eat ****ty, with the exception of *a* beer on most Fridays and Saturdays. If I had to guess I'd bet that my calories still come in around 2500, with probably not as much protein as I get during the week. This is something that I plan to improve.

As it is, this carb/calorie cycling has done me pretty well though- I've only lost about 5 pounds in the past two months, but my pants are getting looser, my appearance has improved, and the calipers say I'm leaner. Despite the fact that I'm definitely slowly leaning out, I've gotten new stretchmarks, strength is going up, and my arms haven't shrunk.

Over the last two weeks, I've pulled the calories up to 2300-2700. This has not been accompanied by weight gain yet, so hopefully I'm getting the metabolism up and running again. I'll pull them up to maybe 2500-3000 a day, hold at that for two weeks, and then try to cut pretty hard again. Now that I've learned that I am capable of recompositioning (even though it's slow), I have faith that once I get where I want to be in terms of bodyfat levels I'll be able to stay there and still be able to add more size and strength.
I'm feeling pretty optimistic.

Dude, you put way too much thought into your diet ;)

I guess that's why I am still fat :cry:

RickTheDestroyer
08-16-2006, 09:12 PM
It is a lot of thought, but I think it's paying off. At this point I've got it pretty dialed in, although I confess it's kind of weird to be eating so much more solid food now that I'm ramping up the calories.

I did DE lower today, and I took it pretty easy for the sake of giving myself a bit of a break.

5x45lb.+bands
5x135lb.+bands
2x165lb.+bands (10 sets)

6x215lb.
6x215lb.

Spread-Eagle Situps
10x60lb.
10x60lb.

5xBW

Pretty decent workout. Squats are continuing to improve, form-wise. I felt stable and strong, and I was sitting back really well. Checked my form on these again with good old Mr. Video Camera, and they looked pretty good. The box is about 2-3" below parallel for me- I'm still a little sluggish until I hit about 3" above parallel and then I rocket up. This will hopefully improve. I took the RDLs easy, and the speed deads didn't increase since my max hasn't gone up. For some reason my calves are dead tired and sore (maybe from arching on bench ? :confused: ?) so I only did one set of calves. It's time to add more weight to the abs.

Chubrock
08-16-2006, 09:18 PM
Gotta upload some of those vids so the rest of us can check them out.

RickTheDestroyer
08-17-2006, 11:42 AM
Nah bro- these vids aren't anything that anyone needs to watch. Hell- this one was a video of my enormous ass coming up off of a box... I seriously doubt anyone wants to see that.
When I tape something worth watching I'll throw it up, like when I pull that 420 dead in a few weeks.

JustinASU
08-17-2006, 11:56 AM
Nah bro- these vids aren't anything that anyone needs to watch. Hell- this one was a video of my enormous ass coming up off of a box... I seriously doubt anyone wants to see that.
When I tape something worth watching I'll throw it up, like when I pull that 420 dead in a few weeks.

If you don't pull it before I get up there, I'll make your ass pull that ****...

Anthony
08-17-2006, 11:59 AM
I skimmed through your entire journal.

1) You write a lot!
2) Glad you started posting weights!
3) Awesome progress, your bench and deads seem to be flying up.
4) I noticed you bought Starting Strength. It's on my wishlist ... did you enjoy it?

RickTheDestroyer
08-17-2006, 12:56 PM
Justin- I think I'm probably going to do my next three week cycle with GMs as my ME exercise and then three weeks of rack pulls. After that I'll do more deadlifts- I'll probably go for conventional, just to see if I really am still stronger that way than I am sumo. If it turns out that sumo is stronger then I'll do that the next week and hit the 420. I'm really looking forward to pulling 435- which will be double BW (finally!). You'll be there for sure.

Anthony- many thanks! skimming an entire journal, even a small one, is quite an undertaking. To tell you the honest truth, your avatar is something I try to keep in mind as an eventual goal for myself. Everyday that the mirror looks closer to that is a good day. That probably sounded creepier than I meant for it to.

I do in fact write a lot- I expect I'll use this as a reference as some point in the future to supplement my little gym logs. The posting of weights was something I was a little reluctant to do early on because I am still pretty embarrassed by them, but you're correct- they are coming on up, which is good. In all honesty, I'm not someone who started strong by any stretch of the imagination, so even though I'm basically still pretty weak, I think I should take some pride in the progress that I have made.

Starting Strength is a great resource. Beyond the wealth of information it contains, it's also a very enjoyable read. I used Mark's squatting recommendations for awhile and I think it did me some good, even if it did kick my poundages in the nuts. Since I'm working on trying to get my poundages up more right now I'm focusing more on my PL stance, but I'll probably work some more high bar squats in from time to time, as they really helped build my quads up a lot. I definitely use it as a resource when I'm teaching people how to lift, and I've been working through some chapters to try to improve my own form on some things (mostly powercleans, as I do a terrible job with my racking). But yeah, it's definitely worth reading and keeping around to refer to afterwards.

Anthony
08-17-2006, 01:05 PM
If you check the first few pages of my journal you'll notice I didn't post weights either. Then I finally sucked it up and let everyone know where I stood. Progress is progress, regardless of the starting point, and that's what counts. But thanks for the creepy compliment, LOL!

Good to hear about Starting Strength, although I'm not surprised, I haven't heard anyone say anything bad yet!

I just read "New Rules of Lifting" by Alwyn Cosgrove, and while it's aimed towards the beginner, it's a great read that reminds us of little things we may have forgot along the way. Check it out if you have time and keep up the good work!

JoeG
08-17-2006, 01:07 PM
It is a lot of thought, but I think it's paying off. At this point I've got it pretty dialed in, although I confess it's kind of weird to be eating so much more solid food now that I'm ramping up the calories.

I did DE lower today, and I took it pretty easy for the sake of giving myself a bit of a break.

5x45lb.+bands
5x135lb.+bands
2x165lb.+bands (10 sets)

6x215lb.
6x215lb.

Spread-Eagle Situps
10x60lb.
10x60lb.

5xBW

Pretty decent workout. Squats are continuing to improve, form-wise. I felt stable and strong, and I was sitting back really well. Checked my form on these again with good old Mr. Video Camera, and they looked pretty good. The box is about 2-3" below parallel for me- I'm still a little sluggish until I hit about 3" above parallel and then I rocket up. This will hopefully improve. I took the RDLs easy, and the speed deads didn't increase since my max hasn't gone up. For some reason my calves are dead tired and sore (maybe from arching on bench ? :confused: ?) so I only did one set of calves. It's time to add more weight to the abs.

Good work here. Its hard not to just push yourself for the next PR but in the end this easing off is only going to make you stronger.

RickTheDestroyer
08-17-2006, 09:38 PM
Anthony- I do seem to remember going through the first few pages awhile back and not seeing any weights but seeing a lot of stuff about liters of water consumed. I have not read nearly enough by Cosgrove- I may try to fix that if I have a slow day at work tomorrow.

Joe- Thanks as always bro. You're right about me needing to ease off a little. I think that planning in easy days is going to be beneficial though (as opposed to me jsut slacking when I'm tired). If I'm systematic about it I'm less likely to get lazy during my workouts and stop pushing myself enough.

So anyway I did DE upper tonight. Took it easy on the assistance stuff, especially since I finally pulled the speed bench weight up to 60% where it ought to be. That took a couple sets to get used to, but by the last ones they were coming on up.

Speed Bench tonight.
DE Bench:
10x45lb.
5x135lb.
3x165lb.+chains (8 sets, same cycled grips as last time)

Barbell Rows:
5x135lb.
5x200lb.
5x200lb.
5x200lb.

Incline Dumbell Press:
6x77lb./arm
6x77lb./arm

Power Shrugs:
3x335lb.
3x335lb.

Face Pulls:
15x monster mini band
15x monster mini band

Band Pull-Aparts:
15x monster mini band

4-Board Press:
2x265lb. (realized that I didn't have my pins set high enough)
6x245lb.
6x245lb.

Pretty decent little workout. I'm still playing around with my arch. I'm definitely more comfortable up on my toes a little, but I don't want to get in the habit of that if I ever decide to compete. I feel pretty good. I'm going to hit the grip work hard tomorrow and otherwise try to rest up for GMs on Saturday.

JustinASU
08-18-2006, 06:45 AM
Nice board presses. Bout time you upped those BB Rows too. Your pulling shouldn't be too far off from your pressing.

I'm making a quick trip up to the area to go apartment hunting this weekend. It's just overnight saturday, but I'll let you now if I have free time to come lift.

RickTheDestroyer
08-18-2006, 07:46 AM
Thanks Justin. The BB Rows come up 5 pounds each workout- I'm not going to push them any harder than that. :)
Plus I deload them each rep, so each one starts from a dead stop on the floor. They aren't that far off from the pressing- and realistically I probably couldn't bench my bodyweight for as many chins as I can do, so I figure I'm doing alright.
Yeah man- do let me know if you can lift. If you're staying Saturday night, which day would suit you better? Also I want to talk to you about the apartment thing- I would seriously recommend that you look into spending a little more than you're paying now. I just don't want y'all living someplace sketchy and dangerous.

Chubrock
08-18-2006, 09:37 AM
Damn nice workout man. Any reason you're using 5 reps for your speed days instead of the usual 3?

RickTheDestroyer
08-18-2006, 09:43 AM
Damn nice workout man. Any reason you're using 5 reps for your speed days instead of the usual 3?
Ah yes. That would be because I cut and pasted that **** after I made a typo. I did three reps. :bang:
Thanks bro!

MixmasterNash
08-18-2006, 12:28 PM
Plus I deload them each rep, so each one starts from a dead stop on the floor.
Pendlay rows.

RickTheDestroyer
08-18-2006, 12:57 PM
Pendlay rows.
Yes, I guess so. I basically always do them underhanded, pull to my navel, and use maybe 15-20 degrees of cheating with the upper body that I try to avoid. I don't know if that still qualifies them as Pendlay rows (especially since I've never seen them actually done before), but that's what I'm striving for.

JustinASU
08-18-2006, 01:04 PM
Rick's a dirty whore. :hide:

MixmasterNash
08-18-2006, 01:07 PM
Rick's a dirty whore. :hide:
LOL.

I think rick should do his "dirty whore" rows with the same grip he benches with.

RickTheDestroyer
08-18-2006, 02:10 PM
I am, in fact, truly a filthy, filthy bitch.

Nash- is this so that there's more carryover as far as using my lats while benching, or do you just like saying "dirty whore rows"? I generally go underhand because I have an easier time pulling lower on my body and I think it engages my lats better. Plus my chins are exclusively pronated at this point so I figured I was probably hitting that grip enough. I also think it's good to include more work that keeps my humerus externally rotated.

Big Ass-Is you is or is you ain't lifting with me and Gabe this weekend?

JustinASU
08-18-2006, 02:27 PM
Big Ass-Is you is or is you ain't lifting with me and Gabe this weekend?

I gots to check with the taskmaster (Laura). I'll let you know tonight.

MixmasterNash
08-18-2006, 02:43 PM
Plus my chins are exclusively pronated at this point so I figured I was probably hitting that grip enough. I also think it's good to include more work that keeps my humerus externally rotated.
Im sure you'll be fine. That's a good idea.

RickTheDestroyer
08-19-2006, 07:46 PM
Im sure you'll be fine. That's a good idea.
Wait wait wait- I can't tell if that's sarcasm (damn you, lack of vocal inflection!), is there a reason for not doing them underhanded?

As far as the lifting- today was just a kind of prehab/GPP day. Real weights come tomorrow. Trying hard to not **** my diet too badly this weekend.

MixmasterNash
08-20-2006, 09:33 AM
No, I'm serious. Saving your shoulders is always good.

You can always alternate grips by week. Variation may be even more important to protecting your body.

Do overhand pullups and underhanded rows, and then do overhand rows and chins.

RickTheDestroyer
08-20-2006, 09:31 PM
Oh okay, good. I like the idea of swapping them back and forth, I may try that. I have found that since I started really working on my external rotators and my whatever-that-dealie-under-my-shoulder-blade-that-Cressey's-always-talking-about, my shoulder pain has largely gone away. It's fun when stuff like that works.

Anyways, I did ME lower today, and it was a good time since Big Ass was in town. That mother****er hit a 355lb good morning, deep as ****. As you'll see, I did not kick that much ass, but I did alright.

Good Mornings (of the "regular ol'" variety)
5x95lb.
3x135lb.
3x165lb.
3x185lb.
3x205lb.
3x225lb.
3x245lb.

Bulgarian Split Squats:
8x127lb.
8x127lb.
8x127lb.

Pull-Throughs:

Spread-Eagle Situps
10x65lb.
10x65lb.

Russian Twists:
10x25lb.

The last set of GMs was a little rough I think- I was a little high on the first rep and semi-squatted the second, but the third was pretty good. Justin said I was going way deep on the earlier sets, so that's straight. I have made the executive decision to stop doing direct calf work. **** 'em. I think they're getting more work from the sled dragging and squat variations, and I hate doing direct work. If they aren't going to grow either way, then I might as well spend that time doing something productive.

JoeG
08-21-2006, 08:16 AM
Big Time good mornings you guys. I am envious.

Chubrock
08-21-2006, 08:40 AM
Strong good mornings man. Very nice session for both of ya'll it sounds.

RickTheDestroyer
08-21-2006, 09:15 PM
Thanks bros- I'd say they felt good, but actually I was pretty sure that I was going to die. All signs point to my squat coming up, and we'll be testing that come Wednesday.

Tonight was ME Upper. Pretty good workout in some places, and pretty ****ty in others. You'll see.

2-Board Press
15x45lb. (no boards)
10x95lb. (no boards)
5x135lb.
3x185lb.
3x225lb.
3x245lb.
1x260lb.
1x270lb.
1x280lb.
1x290lb.
1x300lb.

Chins (Underhand first 3 sets, overhand after that):

Overhead Barbell Press:
8x120lb.
7x120lb.
4x120lb.

Band Pressdowns:
(one mini band per arm)
15, 15

As you can tell, I'm pretty happy about the benching (obviously). It was strong as hell, the 300 flew up, and I probably could have hit 310. Then chins were good at first, but then I started getting a pain in my shoulder. I think underhand is out for me on those unless I can figure out a way to do it that doesn't make my shoulders feel like ****. Switched to overhand and it felt good. The ouchy shoulder kind of screwed up the overhead pressing (guess which set it started bothering me!), but then the pressdowns were a good solid end to the workout. Pretty good night.
Also, oMGz t3H B04rD pR3551nG RuLLLLzz!!!1!

MixmasterNash
08-21-2006, 11:12 PM
re: chains

I've been meaning to take some pictures of them and provide step-by-step assembly instructions in the PL forum, but I just haven't had a chance.

JoeG
08-22-2006, 06:53 AM
Damn Good Presses Rick. You should be very happy with them.

John04Civic
08-22-2006, 01:49 PM
Rick, how much time are you spending in the gym with your routine? After WBB1 I'd like to go to a more volume-intensive (high-set) routine but with less exercise variations.

Either way.. you got some serious power! I hope I get to your level eventually! Keep lifting hard!

Chubrock
08-22-2006, 04:58 PM
Strong presses man.

RickTheDestroyer
08-22-2006, 08:52 PM
Nash- I need to go to bed, but I took pics of the chains and I'll try to put up some explanations with them tomorrow.

Joe/John/CRock- Thanks all around bros! I admit I was quite pleased with the pressing, but I do really appreciate you guys helping me to keep motivated and positive.

John- I generally spend between 50 minutes to an hour and a half per workout, depending on how much I screw around. You'll be making me look bad in under a year I bet, so "eventually" will roll around sooner than you expect.

Anthony
08-23-2006, 05:47 AM
That's some serious benching! Nice work!

RickTheDestroyer
08-23-2006, 07:48 AM
Thanks Anthony. I'm really hoping that I do well with my squats tonight- I'm happy that the bench is coming up so well, but I hate the fact that it's so close to my squat.

Nash- I've attached the chain pictures.
The first picture shows what's needed to make the chains for one side (so obviously you'll need twice this much stuff).
Anyway, there are three 5' long pieces of 3/8" chain. Two of these are visible at the top, they're being held together by a big heavy quick link connector thing. One of these has the connector through the center, and the other has it through the center and each end (so that more weight comes off the floor at the top).
Below these is a 2' long piece of 3/16" chain- this connects the heavy chains to the bar, using the medium quick link and clip at the bottom. The third length of heavy chain has a sping clip attached at the middle, so that it can be added or removed easily.

The second picture shows the basic assembly for benching with the chains- the small chain is looped through the heavy quick link, and then attached to the weight clip at each end with the medium quick link. By coming in a link or two, you can shorten this chain to accommodate lower benches. In this picture, you can see the small quick link (which will still hold 200 pounds despite its small size) that is used when adjusting the chains for squatting.

The third picture simply shows the third length of heavy chain being added to the weight- you just clip it over the small chain and gravity will take care of the rest.

The fourth picture shows the way to set the chains up for squatting. You disconnect one end of the small chain from the weight clip, and use the small quick link to make a loop in the small chain around the heavy chain attachment points. I generally attach it to the fourth link- that gives enough room for the heavy quick link and spring link, but still allows for a full deload at the bottom of the squat.

The last picture shows the chain attached to an empty bar, set up for benching. The total weight at the top is about 50 pounds, or a little under 40 if you take off the third heavy chain. The nice thing about this system is that it allows for you to switch from bench to squats pretty quickly and easily, plus I'll be able to continue adding more weight as I need it.

Materials needed for a full set of chains are as follows:
Six 5' long 3/8" chains (I went for the cheapest, biggest chain available at Home Depot)
Two 2' long 3/16" chains
Two spare weight clips
Two heavy quick links (maybe 7/16"-1/2")
Two medium sized quick links (about 1/4")
Two little quick links (maybe 1/8")
Two heavy spring clips (also about 7/16"-1/2")

That's it. Total cost is roughly $60. Not dirt cheap by any means, but about half of what you'd pay from EliteFTS or NYBB BEFORE you pay them to ship it to you.

Chubrock
08-23-2006, 08:38 AM
How do you figure out how much weight is being held at the bottom and top of the lifts?

RickTheDestroyer
08-23-2006, 08:43 AM
At the bottom the entire heavy chain is deloaded onto the ground- so maybe 5 pounds or so are still on the bar.
For the weight at the top I weighed the chains, subtracted a little bit because a couple links stay on the ground, and then doubled it to get the estimate of 50 pounds.

WillKuenzel
08-23-2006, 09:07 AM
Thanks for setup and pictures, Rick! Looks good and easy.

MixmasterNash
08-23-2006, 09:29 AM
Nash- I've attached the chain pictures.
That's it. Total cost is roughly $60. Not dirt cheap by any means, but about half of what you'd pay from EliteFTS or NYBB BEFORE you pay them to ship it to you.

Great! I think that this will really help folks. You should at least make a post in the PL forum (perhaps part of an equipment sticky).

I'm going to head over to UNC surplus today to see if they have any equipment or weights. The gym has had a few thousand lbs of old plates sitting around outside, and I'll probably try to contact the rec. dept. to see if they'll sell or "donate" any.

JoeG
08-23-2006, 10:02 AM
Yo bro I've got a question for you. On my DE Lower day I am thinking about doing both squats and deads. I am going to rotate them every 3 weeks on ME days but I was thinking that if I did both on DE days it would help me keep my form up when I wasn't doing them on ME day.

Is that a crazy idea?

JustinASU
08-23-2006, 11:31 AM
Yeah yeah yeah, nice pressing and whatnot. :p

Your upper body strength angers me. It seems to come so easily to you...

Oh and Joe--I'm not Rick, but IMO that would work fine. A lot of lifters do speed squats and deads on the same day.

Sensei
08-23-2006, 03:04 PM
I did a similar thing w. 3/8" chain (tow chain) - they came in 14' lengths (about 20lbs each) and I just basically folded them into thirds and then attached them to the bar with rope & carbiner and later (after I bought some chain from elitefitness) connector chain.

RickTheDestroyer
08-23-2006, 09:10 PM
Will- you're quite welcome, I'm hoping that they'll be of use to someone. They are very easy and they get the job done.

Nash- I hope so too. I have bigger pictures that might be easier to see, but I had to shrink 'em to fit the size requirement. I will probably post them in the PL section as well just so more people see them.
Also- please keep me posted on that weight- if they're selling it cheap or giving it away, I'll be making a trip over there ASAP.

Joe- Justin is right, I think it's pretty standard practice to do speed squats and speed deads on the same day. Wave your box squats at 50/55/60% of your 1RM for 8-10 sets of 2, and follow that up with some hammie work and the speed deads- which are done at 60% of your 1RM for six singles with 20 seconds of rest between each one.

Justin- thanks as always bro. It shouldn't anger you- think about how I'm built... big barrel chest, big ribcage, and stumpy arms- I'm basically built to bench.

Sensei- I knew I had ripped my chain idea off from someone- I just couldn't remember who! I really wish heavier chain was more readily available, but I guess we're stuck with the 3/8" stuff.
Also- you said in your journal that you have the NYBB GHR- right? I thought that was what it looked like in the video but I wasn't positive... what are your thoughts on it? I think that's the next big piece of equipment I plan to buy for RHOAC, but if the NYBB one is way subpar then I may just save up for the EliteFTS one- even if it is 3x as much. What is your opinion on the "magic pad angle" on the Elite one? Actually worth it or totally BS?

Okay on to the workout. I have good news and I have bad news. The good news is that I hit a PR squat and now am the proud owner of a 1000 pound total... which puts me a few months ahead of my goal for 2007. The new goal is 1100- aim high, right?

The bad news is that my shoulder is still feeling totally ****ed from Tuesday, and squatting didn't do it any favors. Plus I think I slept with my left nut pinched between my legs because it's been hurting like a bastard all day. I guess that's not really an injury though. I may take tomorrow really really easy, if not off entirely.

Anyway,
ME Squats
15x45lb.
5x95lb.
3x135lb.
3x185lb.
3x225lb.
1x245lb.
1x265lb.
1x285lb.
1x305lb.

Romanian Deadlifts (normal double overhand grip due to shoulder pain):
8x135lb. (snatch-grip)
8x215lb.
8x215lb.

Spread-Eagle Situps:
10x65lb.
10x65lb.

The 305 was a five pound PR- breaking my previous highest squat from December of 2004. On the way up I got stuck for a second about 3 inches above parallel and then managed to rocket it up. It took about all I had but it was damn satisfying. I am officially the strongest and leanest that I have ever been. Now if only my left nut would stop hurting I'd be a real happy camper.

JoeG
08-24-2006, 02:04 PM
Thanks Rick and Justin, the deads are absolutely in. Beast of a squat there bro. So does that foam roller of yours really make a difference?

JustinASU
08-24-2006, 03:33 PM
I already told you this bro, but congrats on getting into the 1000 club. 1000 more to go and you're totally elite! :p

Chubrock
08-24-2006, 08:17 PM
Nice squatting Rick. Congrats on the total. I'm going to try and get up there sometime over the next couple of months and train with ya'll.

RickTheDestroyer
08-25-2006, 07:23 AM
Thanks bros- it was an excellent occasion indeed.

Joe- the foam roller is truly a thing of beauty. I'd recommend the one from Elite, even though that's not the one I have.

Justin- Elite is a loooooong way away... but I'm going to try to get the total over 1200 by 2008- so I figure I may be elite by the time I'm 30 or so. We'll see.

Andrew- come on up whenever bro! We'll have a blast.

Anyway- last night was supposed to be DE Bench, but I ended up passing on that because of the shoulder. From what I've read, I'm thinking that it's either impingement, or biceps tendonitis... or maybe some of both. So instead I went swimming, did a lot of light rotator cuff work and scapular retraction and scapular depression work (thanks EC!). After that I did some heavy sled dragging and foam roller work. Today I feel pretty good, and the shoulder is definitely improving, although I'm still going to take it easy and keep up with the icing and NSAID-ing. I also just need to be really dedicated to correcting my imbalances and not doing things that make my shoulders hurt.

JustinASU
08-25-2006, 10:34 AM
Try the BigAss Solution if you want that shoulder to heal up ASAP...Don't act like you don't know what it is either :)

RickTheDestroyer
08-25-2006, 01:11 PM
Try the BigAss Solution if you want that shoulder to heal up ASAP...Don't act like you don't know what it is either :)
Get your mom to kiss it and make it better? That worked for my ouchy left nut, so maybe it's a good idea. :hump:

I know that the real answer is heavy deadlifts, and you know I'm not doing that.

Also, I just wanted to take this opportunity to say that this diet ****ing really works. I've actually brought my cals back up to 2700-2850 on workout days and I think I'm actually losing weight (down to about 214) and leaning out faster than I was on 2000-2400/day... it's great but it doesn't make any sense. Seriously though, slow day at work so I've been doing a lot of bathroom posing and I honestly think I look the best I ever have.
:thumbup:

Sensei
08-25-2006, 01:57 PM
Sensei-
Also- you said in your journal that you have the NYBB GHR- right? I thought that was what it looked like in the video but I wasn't positive... what are your thoughts on it? I think that's the next big piece of equipment I plan to buy for RHOAC, but if the NYBB one is way subpar then I may just save up for the EliteFTS one- even if it is 3x as much. What is your opinion on the "magic pad angle" on the Elite one? Actually worth it or totally BS?I bought the NYBB GHR because I had a hamstring injury and I was DESPERATE for something to get the job done - I'm actually really happy with it. I haven't put it through heavy use or anything, but I've been using it regularly and it's as good as new. The foot plate is narrow and a little flimsy, but so far so good. The padding is adequate. To be honest though, if it were used by a lot of big guys on a regular basis, I don't know how long it would hold up.

I've never tried the elitefts GHR, but I have no doubt that it's worth every penny - everything I've ever gotten from them has been (expensive, but)top-notch. I'm sure if you got their GHR, you'd never want more and never have to replace it. I really wanted it too, but I just couldn't justify the cost. If money were not an issue at all though, I would've bought it in a heartbeat.

RickTheDestroyer
08-25-2006, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the rundown, Sensei... I confess I like the idea of buying a piece of equipment and having it be the last one I'll ever need, but on the other hand, money IS an issue, and at that price it would be more than twice as expensive as any other piece of equipment in the gym. If I go for the NYBB one, I'll have it by November. If I save for the Elite one then I'm probably looking at sometime in April, if not later... so I think I'm going to go with the NYBB one.

I do plan on eventually moving into a house with a big basement and converting the entire thing into a gym/private training facility, and at that point I'll probably start upgrading the equipment.

HeavyBomber
08-25-2006, 06:57 PM
I haven't had a chance to really check out your journal but judging by the company you keep in here I'm going to have to make time.

RickTheDestroyer
08-26-2006, 11:01 AM
HB-I feel quite honored to have you stop by, as I have really enjoyed your videos... the rack pull and hybrid sumo dead/row in particular.
And you're right- I am very lucky to have so many very inspirational and motivational guys in here to help me stay focused on my goals.

As far as lifting today- I think I'm going to delay my GMs till tomorrow, and make today a copy of Thursday- boring shoulder health work, sled dragging, foam rolling, and stretching. I've been giving this shoulder a lot of thought and I think I've got a pretty good idea of things I do that aggravate it. I'll try not to do these things anymore and then we'll see how I feel.

Sidior
08-26-2006, 11:26 AM
Aweosme squat PR bro, 1000lb total is sweet. Have you found training with chains has really helped your benching btw?

RickTheDestroyer
08-27-2006, 12:46 PM
Thanks Sid- it does feel good, but it's still a pretty sad squat/total for someone who's been training as long as I have and who weighs as much as I do. But as long as it's going up, I'm happy.
I do think that the chains (and bands) have helped a lot, although I can see why they'd probably be of more benefit for people who are lifting equipped who really need to focus on lockout strength.

Anyway, today was supposed to be ME GMs, but my shoulder is feeling ****ty so I cut it short and didn't push it. I think that part of the problem with my shoulder is that I was trying really hard to get the bar lower on my back for squats/GMs and I think that did me wrong. So everything today was pretty high-bar.

Good Mornings:
15x45lb.
5x95lb.
3x135lb.
3x165lb.
3x185lb.
3x205lb. (I cut these high and my shoulder hurt so...)
10x135lb.
10x135lb.

Bulgarian Split Squats:
8x132lb.
6x132lb.

Pull-Throughs:
8x two monster mini bands

And at that point I did some 5lb. rotator cuff **** and called it a day. I'm really displeased with this shoulder, but I think I need to cut my losses and take a week off and rest it up. I'll try to do some sled dragging most days instead (didn't get around to it yesterday- d'oh!), and I'll keep up with some super-light shoulder health work, but otherwise I won't be lifting until next weekend at the soonest. I ****ing hate to do this, but I'm not going to get anywhere limping along with a screwed up shoulder.
I'm going to try and get myself scheduled for some ART or a massage, and then if it's not feeling a lot better I guess I'll go to the ****ing doctor. I suppose it's not all bad though, as I can use the time that I won't be lifting to study more seriously for that NSCA-CPT exam...

RickTheDestroyer
08-29-2006, 08:10 AM
Well. Shoulder is still ****ed. I did some heavier sled dragging yesterday, I'm doing nothing tonight, and then tomorrow I'll do some super-light RC work and some more heavy dragging. This ****ty shoulder sucks. All I want to do is lift. Hopefully I'll really hit it with a vengeance when I get to lift again.

JoeG
08-29-2006, 08:29 AM
Yeah injuries suck, even more so than when you really want to lift. Still hitting the sled work hard will keep you moving towards your goals and it will keep you from ****ing up your shoulder until it heals.

Sidior
08-29-2006, 11:12 AM
I injured my cuff real bad in the spring and it took about 4 months to fully heal. After half assing it for awhile and trying to work around it, I took some time off all exercises involving pressing (which is what caused my pain), started icing it everyday and learned to stretch properly after every workout. Gl dealing with that **** bro.

RickTheDestroyer
08-29-2006, 01:59 PM
Thanks guys. I'm just going to give this thing as much time as it needs to heal up right. I figure since I hit my total goal that I set for 2007, I can stand to spend some time rehabbing this **** until it's as good as I can get it. It's just frustrating- at this point I can't even squat or anything.
:whiner:

dblockspky
08-29-2006, 02:44 PM
nice work in here man keep it up

JustinASU
08-29-2006, 05:21 PM
Still no heavy deadlifts? You dissappoint me, my son.

All kidding aside, I'm sorry to hear about the shoulder. As much as you hate it a week off will do you a whole ****load of good as long as you keep your GPP up. Perhaps even some light barbell complexes everyday if the shoulder allows it.

WillKuenzel
08-29-2006, 05:37 PM
3 things:

1) you're not doing enough pulling motion. More pullups, more rows, more high rows. Your push to pull ratio is way out of whack. I have more clients with shoulder injuries before they come to me from too much pushing. Do more chest stretching if you're not already. Stretches in the doorway are good or db flye stretch off the bench.

2) How are you dragging the sled? Are you wearing a harness that comes across the shoulders or are you doing reverse drags? Start doing more backwards walking drags holding the straps. However you are dong your sled dragging eliminate any shoulder activity other than what could help you retract the shoulder blades.

3) where on the chest do you bench to? Lower sternum/upper belly or higher towards your nipples? Either way, learn to bench even lower. It reduces stress on the shoulders.

Too much pushing leads to rotator cuff problems. Most rotator cuff exercises are pulling exercises dealing specifically with the rotator cuff. If your problem is a muscle imbalance between your rear delts, rhomboids, and lats in comparison with your chest, then all the RC work won't help. In glancing over a few pages back in your journal, you're not doing enough pulling. Lots more upper back work. Lots more. I am god. I have spoken.

RickTheDestroyer
08-29-2006, 07:00 PM
Dblock- Thanks bro- I appreciate you stopping by.

Justin- I know it will do me some good to rest it up, and I appreciate the sympathy. The barbell complexes are a no-no for the time being, as I know those snatches will hurt.

Will- Damn bro! I didn't realize it was so bad... I had even tried to be careful to get enough pulling in there. :(

I will say that a lot of my little morning workouts are very pull-dominated, with lots of sort of pseudo-cable rows with bands and bodyweight rows- but that's apparently not enough. I was lumping my power shrugs, face pulls, and pull-aparts as "pull work" to balance the pushing, but I'll try to add more and/or reduce some of the pushing. I definitely do a lot of pec stretching- more than once a day for sure.

I'm currently doing the sled dragging by attaching the sled to my dip belt, and this will be the case until my shoulder stops hurting. When I do the handles I go 1/2 forward and 1/2 backward- with the backward dragging I do a mix of rows and regular dragging.

I'm doing all benching to the bottom of my sternum (or maybe an inch below), and I know you told Justin to get his grip wider to shorten his ROM/recruit more chest, but when I did that it made my shoulders hurt, so I've been keeping my pinkies just inside the rings.

Regardless- I trust your knowledge on this stuff far more than my own, so I'll add more rowing/chinning. I do know for a fact that my upper back and rear delts are underdeveloped, and although I have been trying to work on that pretty actively, I obviously need to do so more. Many thanks for the advice bro.

WillKuenzel
08-30-2006, 04:30 AM
Maybe I should say more heavy pulling then. You could probably switch to close grip bench for a time to lessen the strain on the shoulders. I've seen several articles where guys bring the grip in to help their shoulders. I also wouldn't stop with the backward sled dragging. It might help things as long as it doesn't hurt to do it. Dr. Will says do what you can but if it hurts... don't do it. ;)

RickTheDestroyer
09-01-2006, 07:24 AM
Will- more heavy pulling it is, although I think that I probably to emphasize more of my upper back and not more lats- since I'm already internally rotated like a mother****.

So courtesy of Ernesto, I haven't been doing much sled dragging, but I have been trying to work a little bit. Last night I did rear delt flyes, some of Cressey's shoulder savers, and some bodyweight rows to my sternum. I started doing front squats and when they made my shoulders hurt I switched to zerchers, which didn't hurt (well... my shoulders anyway). I didn't write any of this down, and I wasn't really keeping track as I was mostly trying to feel less like a fat lump.

Not lifting is really ****ing with me from a psychological standpoint, so I think this may be a pretty clear indication that I probably shouldn't ever dabble in the dark side... if I get depressed and grumpy from not lifting for 5 days, then I don't even want to know what PCT would be like.

JoeG
09-01-2006, 09:01 AM
Good work on listening to your body and sucking it up. People who don't lift just don't get how hard it is not to lift sometimes. A little healing time will do wonders for your lifts down the road so keep your mind right.

Chubrock
09-01-2006, 10:45 AM
Hey Rick, let me know when ya'll are plannin on running a ME Dead day. I'd like to try and get up there to lift with ya'll sometime. Because of the ride, I'd have to probably stay up there for the night, so hopefully I can find somewhere cheap to stay.

RickTheDestroyer
09-01-2006, 11:44 AM
Joe- Thanks as always for the support bro. I'm trying really hard to keep my head up (between the job, social ****, and the lack of workouts I'm really not good right now), and your support really does help.

Andrew- I expect I'll skip my ME lower session this weekend, and then next weekend will start a 3 week cycle of rack pulls, assuming I'm healed up by then. Deadlifts will come right after that- so maybe 4-5 weeks from now, probably. I'll try and talk to Justin about lodging, as he's stayed in more hotels around here... but as I said before, we can almost surely find you a couch if need be.

JustinASU
09-01-2006, 12:17 PM
Will just *thinks* he's God. He has quite a God complex ;). And now the crazy redneck bastard thinks he's a doctor too? I'd worry about taking his advice! (you know I'm kidding Will).

I guess I'm moving up at a bad time? You won't be able to throw around heavy weights in a primal rage with me...BTW would you recommend I get a gym membership anyway...just in case ?

RickTheDestroyer
09-01-2006, 01:50 PM
would you recommend I get a gym membership anyway...just in case ?
No.
Even if I'm ****ty and gimpy, you're more than welcome to come lift.

RickTheDestroyer
09-04-2006, 03:44 PM
Did some quality sled dragging yesterday, as well as some more light rehab shoulder work. Everything felt good this morning, so I decided to go through with today's workout, albeit in very slightly abbreviated form.

2-Board Press
15x45lb. (no boards)
10x95lb. (no boards)
5x135lb.
3x185lb.
3x205lb.
3x225lb.
3x245lb.
3x265lb.

Chins (overhand):

Overhead Barbell Press:
5x115lb.
5x115lb.

Band Pressdowns:
6x monster mini/mini bands
15x one mini band per arm

Band Rows:
10x two monster mini bands
12x monster mini/mini bands

As I said, I took things pretty easy today. I stopped after a pretty easy top set on bench, and didn't hit all 50 chins. My overhead pressing is stagnating, so I'm pulling the rep range down, and I'm also reducing the sets to help get my pushing and pulling more balanced.

That's also why I added the heavier band rows- these are essentially cable rows done with bands, I just grab an end in each hand and anchor the middle on one of the posts on my rack. They feel good and should help balance me out more.

Sensei
09-04-2006, 04:03 PM
Nice session! Band rows are great - thanks for reminding me!

Sidior
09-04-2006, 04:12 PM
Nice session, glad to see you are nursing the shoulder and not pressing it too hard yet.

Chubrock
09-04-2006, 08:26 PM
Damn Rick, strong 2 boards. Seems like we both had good workouts.

RickTheDestroyer
09-05-2006, 08:25 AM
Thanks bros!
Sensei- I love the hell out of band rows... my only real problem with them is fact that the band tension increases the load at what is the weakest part of the motion for me- the very back of the row... unlike bench where it adds weight where you have the best leverage, it adds it where you're at a pretty serious mechanical disadvantage. Oh well, so it goes.

Sid- Yeah man, I'm really determined to not **** this shoulder up any worse. I stopped yesterday without any pain, and this morning I had just the slightest bit of discomfort, not even pain per se. Definitely a good sign.

Andrew- I admit, the board presses felt pretty damn good, all things considered, although I think your workout was better than mine. :thumbup:

JustinASU
09-05-2006, 09:18 AM
1 week mang. You'll have to introduce me to all your band/board powerlifting craziness. Seriously, I'm more excited about the workouts we're gonna have more than any other part of this move.

Nice pressing considering the shoulder issues.

RickTheDestroyer
09-06-2006, 07:35 PM
Yeah bro- we're gonna have a blast. I'm psyched to have you coming back up.

Tonight was squat night. It was very "eh". I have a bunch of work stress right now and it's contributing to the ****tiness of the lifts, but the main stressor will be out of the way tomorrow, so I can hit some DE bench happy and calm tomorrow night.

ME Squats
10x45lb.
5x95lb.
3x135lb.
3x185lb.
3x205lb.
3x225lb.
3x245lb.
1, missx265lb.
1x265lb.

ATF Oly Squats:
8x175lb.
8x175lb.
8x175lb.

1x245lb.+chains (6 sets, 20 seconds rest)

Spread-Eagle Situps (weight overhead):
10x25lb.
10x25lb.

Mmmm mmmm... where to begin? The squats at 265 were supposed to be a triple, but I failed on the second rep and then went back and did another after watching the video and realizing that I was going about 4-5" below parallel (whoops! Thanks for the coaching Gabe!)... needless to say, I was done. The ATF squats felt good except that I was tired, but the speed deads were really good and fast- the chains were a good idea except that they kept getting caught when I'd set the weight down. The SE Situps with the weight overhead were weird at best... I just couldn't figure out a way to do them without feeling like I was cheating- even without weight I couldn't get my body and arms to come up at the same time- the arms kept coming up first. I think I'll go back to the normal way for now.

Both shoulders feel pretty good- I brought in my grip for squats and decided to swap in those ATF squats for the SG-RDLs every other week (this is also because my quads are small). Not a bad little workout, but the abs and early squat death made me a little sad.
:(

Chubrock
09-06-2006, 07:42 PM
Nice session even though you were tired. I hate those sessions cuz you just have to push on through. Ready to get up there and lift with ya'll sometime.

JustinASU
09-06-2006, 08:04 PM
Nice speed deads. A little more than 60%, but as long as the speed is good, I'm not too worried.

I really prefer doing SES's with the weight overhead. I feel like my core is working more than my hip flexors. When I hold the weight against my chest I feel like I can brace my body against it.

JustinASU
09-06-2006, 08:13 PM
BTW do you have any wrist straps? I want to start using them on some heavy sets for rack pulls to see if they help me at all.

RickTheDestroyer
09-06-2006, 08:15 PM
Andrew- Thanks bro... I try to stay mostly positive on those days where I just don't want to lift. I feel like by at least being in the gym I'm doing better than 99% of the population, so it's okay to have an off session.

Justin- 0.60x 415= 249. Granted, the chains weren't deloading fully, so I can probably take my snide attitude and cram it up my ass. :D

I'll get you to show me this overhead thing- I just felt like it was a jerky motion and I just couldn't get my **** to fire in the order I wanted it to...

Chubrock
09-06-2006, 08:22 PM
So were ya'll saying something about how the weekend is ME Lower at the RHOAC?

Sidior
09-06-2006, 10:48 PM
If you are squatting too far below parallel it is a good thing. Although it may be a bitch to sort out when to stop now, your numbers will jump up quickly when you are squatting parallel or an 1" below.

Also I find it easier to review video footage after you are done your workout, realizing you may have some minor mistakes and trying to remedy them right before a ME attempt won't help anything.

JoeG
09-07-2006, 07:00 AM
Good depth on those squats. I can only envy that.

JustinASU
09-07-2006, 10:07 AM
BTW do you have any wrist straps? I want to start using them on some heavy sets for rack pulls to see if they help me at all.

*cough*

Sidior
09-07-2006, 01:09 PM
*cough*

I take it as a no lol

RickTheDestroyer
09-07-2006, 02:43 PM
Andrew- Generally yes, except that I'm a dumbass and swap out my DE squats for ME squats in three week cycles as well.

Sid- I'll consider that. I basically just wanted to take the video to make sure that my form was holding up as the weight got heavier, so that I could make sure that I'd fix anything that I was doing wrong (like leaning forward, not sitting back enough, cutting the depth too high, etc.)... I was going to give the 265 another shot regardless, I had just wanted to make sure it looked good. I do find that if I'm squatting really wide, then there is such a thing as too low- my knees will start coming inwards when I'm way below parallel, which I'm pretty sure is a one-way trip to injuryville.

Joe- Thanks bro- you'll get there before you know it.

Justin- I didn't see your post because I was already typing mine. No I don't have wrist straps. You can buy some if you want them, but I don't need them because my back hasn't gotten stronger than my grip yet.
I did buy that kettlestack, however I still need to buy some standard plates- maybe 70-80 pounds' worth (?), and I'll get that GHR as soon as I get the dent taken out of my car to see how much I have left over from my insurance check.