PDA

View Full Version : Squats and Speed

Genacide
03-27-2006, 03:29 PM
Will larger legs due to squats and other leg mass building excercises directly lead to less speed for sprinting, or more?

And yes, I just wanted to be the first to post here!!!

MixmasterNash
03-27-2006, 03:37 PM
Speed squats will.

Slow, heavy squats may not, necessarily. This largely depends on how trained the individual is. If they are in good shape, heavy squats probably won't add speed. If they are undertrained, then adding basic leg strength will probably add speed.

Dan John presents an excellent hybrid: The Litvinov Workout (http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=983219)

Genacide
03-27-2006, 03:42 PM
This is actually something I've been wondering about for a long time. I'm putting on some good mass in my legs (far better than any other area) and am getting the impression that having to move the extra mass may slow me down. For the record I do very slow squats.

ArchAngel777
03-27-2006, 03:49 PM
This is actually something I've been wondering about for a long time. I'm putting on some good mass in my legs (far better than any other area) and am getting the impression that having to move the extra mass may slow me down. For the record I do very slow squats.

Go get some pictures of world class sprinters... Look at their legs and then determine if you think yours are getting out of hand. Their legs are larger than normal, but they are not overly huge. Their body is pretty musclar and lean for the most part, being around 5'10" and weighing anywhere from 165 - 180 at around 6% - 8% body fat.

Bob
03-27-2006, 03:53 PM
You have to really combine Squats.. any squats really with Plyometrics to get the most benefit for speed. You can look at some sprinters and they have thick legs, while some have "thin" legs... but they all have 2 things in common.. phemonal strength and explosiveness.

For now, I wouldn't worry about thickness... if it's in your genetics, then that is the way you are built. But you have to train hard, heavy and for explosiveness...

Maki Riddington
03-27-2006, 04:32 PM
Will larger legs due to squats and other leg mass building excercises directly lead to less speed for sprinting, or more?

And yes, I just wanted to be the first to post here!!!

There's a certain amount of functional muscle mass that will enhance your performance. The rest can be called, "adipose mucle bulk." Meaning excess muscle mass can have a negative effect on your movement patterns which leads to a decrease in performance. I believe Dr Siff coined this phrase.

Optimum08
03-27-2006, 05:14 PM
There's a certain amount of functional muscle mass that will enhance your performance. The rest can be called, "adipose mucle bulk." Meaning excess muscle mass can have a negative effect on your movement patterns which leads to a decrease in performance. I believe Dr Siff coined this phrase.

this makes the most sense, but the thing is how do you determine when you start creating this "adipose muscle bulk"?

BigRic
03-27-2006, 05:24 PM
this makes the most sense, but the thing is how do you determine when you start creating this "adipose muscle bulk"?
Most likely when you start slowing down or Notice a decrease in speed.

Maki Riddington
03-27-2006, 05:46 PM
If you are training at a high performance sporting centre these places usually have equipment that test your force output which can give feedback as to whether you are increasing or decreasing the capacity to display power output.

The other way is as BigRic said, you notice a decrease in performnace. Maybe you aren't cutting as quickly as you should be or your acceleration is slow (starting strength). These are just a couple signs you might take note of during practice or game.

Genacide
03-27-2006, 06:06 PM
I play tennis a lot in the summer and was wondering if this will effect my performance much. When it comes down to it though, I'll take the increased size over the slightly better tennis game.

Sleepr
03-28-2006, 07:26 PM
Train for specificity, meaning train fast to be fast.
I would put together a plyometric routine to enhance speed, and agility.

Blitzforce
04-02-2006, 05:00 AM
read
http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/speedtraining.html

and read
http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/SquatsandSpeed.html

and those are my legs in the 2nd article BTW - I squat a lot and can acclerate pretty damn quickly :cool:
although I'm much leaner now :)